Quest for The Ultimate Suspension

Quest for The Ultimate Suspension

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:36 am

So, after a measly 70,000km, the suspension in my rig was shot. Every shock was leaking, and the rear springs were sagged. One thing I noticed with the Triton, is once the suspension starts to wear, it dramatically exacerbates the skittishness and bump steer that the Triton seems prone to. The OEM suspension is (IMHO) woeful, and is definitely one area where Mitsubishi have sought to keep costs down.

I asked myself what my actual needs were;
  1. I probably only spend 20% of the time off-road, and it's rarely serious stuff (mainly fire trails).
  2. I tow a largish van, but don't want to sacrifice on-road manners for the sake of towing.
  3. I have a canopy on full time, but i don't often carry a lot of weight.
  4. I like a "spirited" drive, and wanted much better on-road characteristics.
  5. The vendor must have a local presence for support.

The Ultimate Suspension was a clear fit for these requirements, so I sent Ultimate a PM with an outline of what I wanted to achieve. Brendan was quick to reply, with a detailed quote, and outlined the logic behind the component selection. A couple of PMs later, the deal was struck, and I arranged to pick up the kit from their Ingleburn workshop. I ended up with the Medium load, raised spring kit. In a testament to their service, I ordered the kit on Wednesday night, and it was available for collection in Friday arvo, including the assembled front struts. The kit came with everything you need, including items that other suppliers want to tack on as extras.

When comparing the OEM gear to the Ultimate gear, you can clearly see the difference;

Click to view larger picture
Lovells make these springs to Ultimate's strict specifications.

Note the gaps between the leaves of the OEM spring (bottom). Total loss of spring tension.

Good quality, double wall shocks. The valving in the Ultimate shocks is set to complement each suspension package.

Prior to assembly, and after fitting, I took some measurements (Hub centre to flare lip - before/after);
  1. F/R = 543mm/586mm.
  2. F/L = 548mm/585mm.
  3. R/R = 557mm/633mm.
  4. R/L = 565mm/632mm.

The top balljoint bolts on 2013+ Tritons have a spring clip on the bottom of the 2 side bolts (the one in the middle does not). Don't forget to remove these before unscrewing the bolts!

A couple of tips when fitting;
  1. SAFETY FIRST :!: Use jack stands. Chock wheels. Before you release the top balljoint, make sure the lower arm is correctly supported on a jack.
  2. The easiest way to get the struts out and in is by removing the upper control arm. Loosely fit the new top mount of the strut (only by the front of the 3 studs) to give you some wiggle room. Replace the upper control arm bolts prior to refitting the bottom bolt on the struts. You will need a podger/screwdriver to align the bushes. It takes patience.
  3. Before releasing the top ball joint, retain the hub with an occy strap, you don't want to let the CV joint escape!
  4. It is necessary to release the front sway bar to get the lower arm, but only the bottom bolt of the link needs to be undone.
  5. The Superpro greaseable shackle/squeakathane kit is of excellent quality. Be sure to read all the instructions prior to fitting, as there are a number of different length pins and bushes.
  6. The driveshaft spacer is definitely required, otherwise the takeoff shudder is very annoying. Don't forget to wire brush the mating flanges before fitting the spacer.
  7. Undoing the OEM propshaft bolts at the diff is absolutely soul destroying. I have never seen bolts this tight. I took the Lord's name in vain many times.
  8. Leave all the pivot points loose until the vehicle is back on the ground. This allows the bushes to sit in the natural position.
  9. Loctite the upper arm bolts and the ball joint bolts (don't forget to replace the spring clips).
  10. Initially, it looks like the brake flexibles on the rear are going to be stretched, once the shocks are installed, the brake lines are in no danger of being stressed.
  11. Ultimate recommend a 100km shakedown prior to getting the wheel alignment done.

I did the job on in my driveway, by myself and it took 4.5 hours. 45 minutes was spent on the wretched drive shaft :evil: It would have been quicker if I had some help, and realistically, there are a couple of times where it's handy to have someone to hold or lever something.

The difference in the ride quality and handling is stunning :shock: My only regret is not doing this mod earlier!

White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Quest for The Ultimate Suspension

Postby guzzi on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks for the detailed write up Bill.
I was also not impressed with the OEM suspension. The only car I have ever felt car sick when actually driving :(
Replaced with Lovells and Tough Dog adjustables after 2k, much better :D
" you can't polish sh#t, but you can roll it in glitter"
guzzi

Postby guzzi on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:20 pm

Thanks for the detailed write up Bill.
I was also not impressed with the OEM suspension. The only car I have ever felt car sick in when actually driving :(
Replaced with Lovells and Tough Dog adjustables after 2k, much better :D
" you can't polish sh#t, but you can roll it in glitter"
guzzi

Postby snowman on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:29 pm

nice work Bill 8-)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Staf77 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks Bill, how do you find the ride? I am about to splash out on Ultimate suspension once the tax check clears!
Staf77

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:05 am

Staf77 wrote:Thanks Bill, how do you find the ride? I am about to splash out on Ultimate suspension once the tax check clears!

I also have the ATO to thank for my purchase :lol:

The ride has gone from borderline dangerous, to absolutely brilliant. There are some large dips in the road around my house, that I found myself unconsciously setting myself up in the seat to prepare for the Triton to wallow its way through. Now you don't even feel them.

I literally had potholes and bumps on the way to work that would have the (worn out) OEM suspension on the bump-stops. Once the shocks start leaking, it really is game over for the OEM. IMHO, the original setup is overly reliant on the shock absorbers, especially in the rear. Rule of thumb is that the shocks should carry no load in the neutral position. Shocks are mainly there to damp the oscillations of the springs. Once the rear OEM springs have sagged, the tiny rear shocks are walking the Green Mile.

The main problem is the deterioration of the OEM is initially slow, so you sort of get used to it. Next time you pull up for a hard stop, count how many times the front end bounces up and down once the vehicle stops. If it's like a pogo stick, the suspension is RS.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Staf77 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:31 am

Hahaha, exactly what mine is doing! I have an ML and I don't reckon the shocks have been changed out ever and I'm up to 230k on the clock!

Looking forward to the improvement and I think the missus might not think it's heap of crap either! :lol:
Staf77

Postby Airved on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Looks the goods. Are we allowed to know how much it cost you all up?
Airved

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Airved wrote:Looks the goods. Are we allowed to know how much it cost you all up?

You are best off consulting Ultimate direct. There are a number of different options, depending on your needs and which Triton variant you have.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Staf77 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Already have, thanks Bill. No wonder you guys rave about Ultimates service. Can't fault Brendan's professionalism so far. Proof will be in the pudding once it's ordered and installed!
Staf77

Postby Snooozy on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 pm

You won't be sorry. It's one of the best upgrades I have done.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Staf77 wrote:Already have, thanks Bill. No wonder you guys rave about Ultimates service. Can't fault Brendan's professionalism so far. Proof will be in the pudding once it's ordered and installed!

So any feedback on this :)
mad992

Postby Staf77 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:20 am

mad992 wrote:
Staf77 wrote:Already have, thanks Bill. No wonder you guys rave about Ultimates service. Can't fault Brendan's professionalism so far. Proof will be in the pudding once it's ordered and installed!

So any feedback on this :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Does that give you an idea of how happy I am! It lifted mine up approx 85mm, shows how much my original suspension had sagged and the ride is heaps better! Off road is so much better handling as well!
Staf77

Postby mad992 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Sweet cheers bill I am in the process of fitting mine thanks a lot for your detailed write up and clear photos. :D
mad992

Postby mad992 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Well took a few years :oops: but I am thrilled with my Ultimate suspension so much better all round
mad992

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14 pm

......-.hopefully in the near future.

The OEM shocks do look pathetic. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 am

:) :) :)

Torqued up the last nut late last night, phew!

Will be first drive today.

The difference in weight between the OEM and Ultimate components tells the whole story.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SLAC on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 am

nice right up - what was the total cost. I am in the throws of deciding what suspension I need.
SLAC

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 am

SLAC wrote:nice right up - what was the total cost. I am in the throws of deciding what suspension I need.

from another thread in May
ultimate wrote:$650.00 is just for front and rear shock absorbers (No springs).

Here is a bit of a breakdown on our kit pricing.

Mitsubishi Triton Suspension Upgrade
Aussie Ryder Twin Tube Gas Struts- 2 x $185.00 =$370.00
Lovell's Raised Height Coils- 2 x $110.00 =$220.00
Aussie Ryder Twin Tube Gas Shocks- 2 x $140.00 =$280.00
Ultimate raised height comfort leaf springs - 2 x $288.00 =$576.00
High Tensile U/bolts- 4 x $18.50 =$74.00
Super Pro Bush Kit- 1 x $120.00 =$120.00
Greaseable Shackles- 2 x $40.00 =$80.00
Total= $1720.00 + Freight or Fitting

For vehicles with the easyselect manual transmission, a tailshaft spacer is recommended to help reduce the vibration. These are $140.00 delivered/fitted.

We look after newtriton.net members with free pre-assembled struts on full kits, or discounted fitting in Sydney.

(Prices and discounts are current as of 02/05/17, but may change at anytime).

In Perth, I highly recommend ORE for fitting-

Off Road Equipment (O.R.E.)
61 McCoy St
Myaree, WA 6154
Contact- Michael or Laura
Ph. (08) 9317 4608
L200Shogun

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Well just done the first run down the worst road in Victoria and certainly big improvement over stock.

Rebound on rear end a smidge faster than I anticipated but at least the unit runs on springs again. :lol:

One thing that is immediately noticeable is much better cornering, bit like when radial tuned suspension was first introduced on Holdens.

Next is to get alignment done and swap in new front wheel bearings.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Doug70 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Ordered my constant load kit yesterday for my 2013 GLXR, 120K on clock and Mitsubishi just fitted a new long motor under warranty, so I am looking forward to having near a near brand new car once again, that will ride and handle better than original.
Doug70

Postby Terror on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Booked mine in for a 2 inch lift on the 11th sept. I can't wait to get it in, the stock stuff has sagged so much and the whole car wobbles around over bumps and corners :(
Terror

Postby Jak3rb on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:35 am

Just wondering guys im looking at getting the ultimate setup for my my15 glx and was wondering if the spacer gets rid of the tailshaft wobble completely? Or is it still there but just not as bad?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Jak3rb

Return to Suspension