The Dobinsons Suspension Thread

The Dobinsons Suspension Thread

Postby FreestyleCab on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:51 am

I have just installed my Dobinsons suspension kit.
It is the constant load kit and has transformed the onroad and offroad handling of my ute. Included with the kit are the usual components plus the rear axle wedges and tailshaft spacer.

Ride Heights:
Stock Suspension when new (measured on a new 08 GLXR in my dealers yard):
    DF= 530mm - PF= 540 - DR= 590 - PR=585mm
Stock suspension after 28000km + Accessories installed: = a sag of around 30 to 40mm all round!!!
    DF= 515mm - PF= 510 - DR= 550 - PR=545mm
Dobinsons Kit installed, day 1, driven 5km:
    DF= 585mm - PF= 580 - DR= 650 - PR=640mm
Dobinsons kit installed after 1 week, driven 400km with 2 days of hard offroading. :-)
    DF= 575mm - PF= 570 - DR= 650 - PR=635mm

As you can see the Dobinsons kit has lifted my ute from its OEM sagged height by 60mm in the front and 90mm in the rear. I expect both ends to drop a little more as everything settles, but I am happy with the height increase. The front has dropped 10mm over the week I have had the kit in.

Handling
  • The stock suspension after it had sagged down used to bottom out on everything. Both the front and rear bump stops had polished the chassis contact points back to bare metal.
  • The shockers were stuffed, my ute would axle tramp and hop all over the road on potholed or corrugated roads. People used to complain of feeling car sick as the ute wallowed all over the road.
  • My Dobinsons kit is the constant load version and it handles all the extra weight of my accessories perfectly. The front springs are stiff enough not to bottom out the front end anymore without being too harsh.
  • The rear end has a few more leaves in it but it still flexes well and is not too harsh.
  • The handling has been transformed. My ute is much more predictable on rough roads and is more relaxing to drive.
  • I have already done a few trips up to the Newnes Plateau to do a few high speed dirt runs and the shocks hold up well and I have not noticed any fade so far due to heat buildup.

Issues/Problems
  • The front springs are a bitch to fit, they are so stiff I had to use 4 spring compressors to get them compressed enough to fit them in the shock.
  • Upon initial installation, the front end had next to no drop travel, at rest the bump stop only had about 2mm clearance. It has settled over the past week to allow a bit of down travel.
  • I have installed the tail shaft spacer and the wedges on the rear axle and rotated the centre bearing but I still have bad shudder through most of first gear!
  • On full flex, the brake lines to the rear axle are almost tight. It looks like I will have to get some longer one fitted. Dobinsons should probably add new longer lines to the kit.
  • The front is lifted so much that I have a mystery clunk somewhere in the front end. I am unsure if it is ball joint related or something in the steering. I can feel the clunk ever so slightly through the steering wheel!

The Triton looks tougher with a lift, it makes the 32inch tyres look small.
Click to view larger picture

Almost 90mm lift to the rear.

A good increase in clearance under the front bash plates.

The tailshaft spacer is included with the kit.

Full flex on the rear passenger side wheel sees the flexible brake lines almost at full stretch.

Looks like I need some new flexible brake lines that are 50mm longer.

After speaking with GLXR-Silver and others, I am planning on getting my tailshaft fitted with a slipjoint in the hope of getting rid of the shudder, I am surprised my ute shudders as bad as it does, considering others have noted that the spacer, wedges and centre bearing tricks usually work in eliminating the shudder.

I will update this thread as the situation changes.....
Brett
FreestyleCab

Re: The Dobinsons Suspension Thread

Postby Greedy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Looking good FSC. 8-) 8-) You've done well getting the front springs in yourself with spring compressors. I gave up after about half an hour of swearing and sweating and got them done at a local tyre place. $20 so no big deal and saved me heaps of time. You have gained a lot more height than I did (45mm front, 55mm rear) but I have medium springs in the rear, constant in the front. The handling difference can only be driven to be believed. I bought this car knowing that suspension was going to have to be replaced. Still came in way cheaper than the hilux I was also considering. 8-)
FreestyleCab wrote:The Triton looks tougher with a lift, it makes the 32inch tyres look small.

That's just great. My stockies look tiny. I was hoping 32's would fill the hole up considerably more now you tell me they look small as well. :lol: Still can't wait to get them fitted.
FreestyleCab wrote:The shockers were stuffed, my ute would axle tramp and hop all over the road on potholed or corrugated roads. People used to complain of feeling car sick as the ute wallowed all over the road.

I hate to tell you this but the shockers were stuffed well before you got your hands on the car. I had mine replaced (but not fitted) and the new ones are just as bad as the old ones. :( Their action is terrible with very little dampening effect.
FreestyleCab wrote:I have installed the tail shaft spacer and the wedges on the rear axle and rotated the centre bearing but I still have bad shudder through most of first gear!

The extra lift in the rear will increase any shudder you get. MIne sounds like it is less than yours but I have less lift. Gearbox/transfer spacers are another option as well. My shudder is only to about 10kph so I live with it at this stage. I'll space the gearbox one day. :roll:
FreestyleCab wrote:On full flex, the brake lines to the rear axle are almost tight. It looks like I will have to get some longer one fitted. Dobinsons should probably add new longer lines to the kit.

I was also warned of this. My mechanic seemed to think they're ok though. He got as much flex as he could and there was still slack but I agree that a kit shopuld probably include them.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:25 pm

Hey freestyle great post and great photos it looks the goods.
I should of reminded you about the brake lines as i find that out after my first suspension change.
My rear brake lines there is 2 of them are 6inches longer then standard to make sure i didn't have any strained brake line issues.
With my superlift at the moment i'm 620mm up front and 650mm at the rear until i install my 20mmextra spacer.
Hey did you by the off chance measure you rear shock fully extended length? I have 2 different ones that i have fitted they are ironman shocks which are 619mm fully extended and the ones i'm trying at the moment rancho 9000xl's which are approx 635mm.
Can you pm the number for the dobinson kit as i'm seeking rear leafs.
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby King Triton on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:55 pm

Looks good FSC.
Just in time for the trip to Newnes, no need to drag around your saggy front end.
Will have a good look tomorrow and check it out.

If you don't mind what it set you back for everything?
King Triton

Postby subi_man on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:19 pm

Great writeup Brett, truck looks great mate 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:16 pm

Looks the goods FSC very nice.
Hopefully you dont get the squeeks. Mines louder now than with thw OEM shit!
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Choady on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Fantastic write up and it looks great. Im really keen for new suspension and only done 1200km ! Ive got the squeaky leafs starting which they are hot fixing on Monday at 1500km service.

I Really like the look and sound of the dobinsons kit, but just not sure Im going to jump on in until the shudder problems are all sorted by all the different suspension manufacturers. Would hate to replace one problem with another and paying for the priveledge in the process. It seems to be a common thread to this forum - suspension upgrades are great, but majority still seem to have some problems......

Maybe I will just get new aftermarket shockies in the interim and sit on my hands for a while.
Choady

Postby FreestyleCab on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:53 pm

Buzzy wrote:Looks the goods FSC very nice.
Hopefully you dont get the squeeks. Mines louder now than with thw OEM shit!

I fully expect these rear springs to squeak.
Every ARB kit I installed on my other utes ended up squeaking withing the first 2 months......why would Dobinsons been any different....lanotec here I come!
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby bill65 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:27 am

hi its looks good i have EFS 545front d&p 620rear D&P and my squeak. wd40.with bar & winch i have to put tailshaft spacer in.
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wallace on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Brett
Space the gearbox and the roll stopper up six mill and you'll find all is well :D ...... Mines OK
See PM

Wallace :D
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby daryn on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:50 pm

FSC,

You now need to give a performance report after your weekends trip, Old vs New.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:30 am

Bump
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby trackerdan on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi, just had dobinson 2 inch springs and strut installed in front, much better than factory. I didnt bother with the rear yet as I have airbags in there, but I will definatly replace the shocks in the rear with the dobbos.
trackerdan

Postby subi_man on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:02 am

Woohoo, I will finally be joining the Dobinson's club - just ordered my kit, will pick it up in the Big Smoke tomorrow 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 am

Good stuff subi
Are you coming through my way at all?
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:45 am

Unfortunately not mate :( Only got time for a day-trip - got a short meeting, then heading to Sutherland Shire for a camper trailer and stopping at Narellan on the way home to pick up the Dobi's.
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby FreestyleCab on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:12 pm

Wallace wrote:Brett
Space the gearbox and the roll stopper up six mill and you'll find all is well :D ...... Mines OK
See PM

Wallace :D

I have just put in some 6mm spacers under the gearbox mount etc..... just backed the ute off the hoist at work. I will post up my shudder reduction findings after my drive home this afternoon.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Buzzy on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:00 pm

FSC how did it go?
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:19 pm

There are some exciting new things in subi_man's shed today 8-) Like these things...

Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:02 am

Good work Subi. Now the fun job of getting it on the car. I found the front springs to be real bastards and had to get a local tyre place to do them for me. If you're still on stock suspension, you're really going to enjoy the feel of the car after installation. enjoy!!! ;)

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:14 am

What brand of shocks are they Subi, and I assume there is four - two in the box and two on display?

And if your comfortable with it, would you mind divulging the cost of this kit?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:26 am

Homer wrote:What brand of shocks are they Subi, and I assume there is four - two in the box and two on display?

Homer, I don't mean to be a smartarse but read the thread title for the brand. :roll: And FWIW I paid $1400 for the same kit delivered to Adelaide.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:45 am

Homer wrote:What brand of shocks are they Subi, and I assume there is four - two in the box and two on display?

Yep mate, two in the box, and the two fronts in plastic. They are Dobinson's branded shocks, someone here might know if they are are their own product or re-branded Product-X!

Kit was $1,350 complete.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 am

Haha OK, OK, I didn't know they had Dobinson shocks also. Thought it was just springs and hardware.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:38 am

Im pretty sure they make all their own stuff! Done quote me on this thou
ML-VR08

Next

Return to Suspension