The Dobinsons Suspension Thread

Re: The Dobinsons Suspension Thread

Postby Dylan 191 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:10 pm

8-) bump
where is buzz man
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby Buzzy on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Been at the local, bit piss wrecked atm :?
Mate I do have 285's but not as a spare, ya cant fit em :x
I have one of my BFG's as my spare.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:50 pm

oh ok thanks mate , its a bit of a bugger
dont want the grease nipple to wear throught the tyre from vibration :?

cheers for the responce :)
Dylan 191

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:59 am

hey guys with dobinsons struts up front does your rubber bush at the bottom strut mount bolge out a little at the top ??
can take a photo if not clear what i mean :?

cheers
Dylan 191

Postby FreestyleCab on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:18 am

Yes Dylan, All front strut bushes do this to some extent as the all of the front end weight sits on this bush.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Dylan 191 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:10 am

thanks Brett , thought it might of been that just wasnt sure , cheers ;)
Dylan 191

Postby Bartman on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey mates. I have just received my Dobi kit . Checking the content of the box I've noticed that front springs have different number than in catalogue (C43-190 instead of C43-188 - raised height constant load). Previously in the catalogue were mentioned two types (C43-186 & C43-188). Retailer claims that C43-190 are new springs for Triton as the previous were too soft. Does anybody know if it's true? Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Bartman
Bartman

Postby snowman on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:20 pm

pm wallace - he went through this front coil problem and got stiffer ones. sounds about right though. C43-190 are the current ones i believe.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Buzzy on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:25 pm

That is correct
C43-190's are the one's you want Bartman 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Bartman on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks mates. You made me happy. Best Regards.
Bartman

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:23 pm

Think i might have a case of the "Buzzy" lean , noticed my diff and towbar were not parallel so did some measuring and the rear left is about 20mm lower than the right :?
Only done couple thousand k's if that , will keep a check on it and get onto Martin if it gets any worse :cry: :x
Wonder why its always the left side that people seem to have troubles with ??
Dylan 191

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:00 am

Ask the missus ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Ive been sittn in the nav seat for a while without a licence
Are you trying to say something about my weight :lol: :lol:
Dylan 191

Postby fullmetaljacket on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Dobinson 50mm ML kit on special this month for anyone interested

Has anyone had stealer warranty void issues from fitting aftermarket suspension?
fullmetaljacket

Postby snowman on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Had the Dobinson suspension kit fitted yesterday. :D

Initial comments are:

the steering feels heavier and the 'return to centre' is not as good as it used to be. it has had the alignment done but i am interested in other Dobi users as to this characteristic of their cars please. if others did not have this characteristic i may go to another wheel aligner to get it checked.

rides well - my kids even noticed the difference.
much more confident in steering wheel feel now including not skittish over bumps (bump steer) and also goes around corners much better as the outside front doesn't drop away. Have not thrown it around too hard yet though....
i now have an extra 2 inches in height - i am tall and dont notice it too much but the wife and kids notice the height difference to get in and out of. have not measured post installation heights and will post in appropriate thread after weekend. original suspension was almost 15mm different from one side to another though.

a small squeek which seems to have gone after a few klm's as the grease probably needed to move around the shackles a bit. it is worth noting the dobinson 'kit' included greasable shackles and even some of the more expensive brands didn't unless you asked and paid extra for them.

it feels much nicer to drive around in. hard to explain as it doesn't sort of jump out and grab you but it just seems more pleasant and relaxing to drive. this car is getting close to where i want it now 8-) and will be a nice touring/4Wd as well as behaved around town . Just need to call MRT..... :)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Nice Snowman,

Not sure how many K's you have done prior to fitting to getting alignment done but I usually put about 200-400 k's on before hand to let everything settle in really well. Also did you get a wheel alignment report ? I do when at Tyrepower, I was also able to see that they initially done mine using MK specs not ML.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:16 am

the installer said to wait a week but as he had it for two days already (not his fault TNT only delivered half the kit the numnuts) i got him to go for a short run and do it as i wanted it done before the brindie trip.

i think i will get it done again to be sure in a month or so. dont want to wear out $800 bucks worth of front end tyres any quicker than i have to.

installer wants it back in one month to check everything is ok so i will do it after that.

getting the extended rear brake lines on tuesday.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Snow, where are you getting those extended brake lines from, if you dont mind, how much are they???? Just getting ready to put dobinsons kit under my truck in the coming weeks. Im getting a local mechanic i know to install for me, so he may aswell whack the lines on for me too.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby snowman on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:13 pm

probably B&R brakes at Blacktown. a mate recommended them - apart from that i know nothing about them.

price quoted was $66 each or $88 fitted each + $44 for bleeding brake system. so thats $220 fitted all up?

open to suggestions if people think this is pricey - i'm not interested in fitting myself as i am too busy at work.....
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:25 pm

Snowman, I still have std brake lines, what Ultimate did was extend the brackets on everything attached to the left hand side and the centre of the diff, pics are on my build thread or in the Ultimate thread I think. They also put a longer diff breather hose on too, keep that in mind.

Have you taken measurements yet ? Not knowing how much or if your rear had sagged to whether your lift in the rear is stresing the lines.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:28 pm

thanks mate i will look a bit closer at this. $220 is $220 (doesn't read as well as when you say it :? ) so if i can avoid it safely then i will. thanks for the heads up.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sheepo on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:23 pm

hi got a quote for 50mm front 60mm back lift all dobi springs and shocks with tail shaft spacer 1500 dollars plus fitting delivered in the country sa what do u think?
and are the dobi struts ajustable like the lovell struts?
it is going in manual diesel dualcab
cheers peter
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby snowman on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 pm

sheepo wrote:hi got a quote for 50mm front 60mm back lift all dobi springs and shocks with tail shaft spacer 1500 dollars plus fitting delivered in the country sa what do u think?
cheers peter

not sure where 'country' is but the kit i bought retails for about $1380-$1400. so delivery is about the difference.

if you think you can fit the kit yourself (dont forget you need a front spring compressor and an alignment done) then go for it but if you are going to get someone to fit it and after my recent experience i would find a local suspension place and ask them if they will purchase and fit the kit. you will probably find you wont pay anymore for it than purchasing and paying for fitting yourself.

martin from Dobinsons in Sydney would be able to tell you who fits in NSW.

Dobinson struts are NOT adjustable.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:38 am

sheepo wrote:hi got a quote for 50mm front 60mm back lift all dobi springs and shocks with tail shaft spacer 1500 dollars plus fitting delivered in the country sa what do u think?
cheers peter

Mine was about $1400 delivered to Adelaide including tailshaft spacer and castor wedges. I got quotes around $300 for install but ended up doing most of it myself except the spring compression. Alignment was extra.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:47 pm

I got my 2" Dobinson suspension kit put in about 3 weeks ago, so far i am very happy with it all.

I got constant load for the front to take the weight of the bullbar and rails etc, aswell as constant load in the rear as a carry a heap of tools and gear thru the week for work, we are talking in the vicinity of nearly 400kgs, the ride with this amount of weight in the back is truelly awesome, compared to the stock crap anyway, very minimal body roll when cornering and it seems to brake much better since the modification.

I was very surprised to find on the weekend when I unloaded all my gear to head off for the weekend, that the ride height only drops about 10mm when it is fully loaded, but the ride is still extremely comfortable, it is better actually than when fully loaded. I was willing to accept the fact that it may ride harsh when empty due to the heavy duty leaf packs, but it definately is smoother. So happy days. I will post up some ride heights in the appropriate thread.

Snowman had assured me on the weekend that the springs will start squeeking after not too much time, I would like to thank him for jinxing the springs as they have started squeeking thru the week. :evil: It is nothing unbearable though, not to me anyway. It is the only downside I can report on so far, for the price you are paying for this 2" lift complete kit, I would still say it is more than worth the coin. I payed all up $1900 for the kit, freight, fitting by local mechanics and a wheel alignment.
Cheers Ben.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension