The Dobinsons Suspension Thread

Re: The Dobinsons Suspension Thread

Postby Choady on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:58 pm

subi_man wrote:Nice work on the spacers mate, keen to see how they work out for you 8-)

Hey Wallace - Im keen to see how they go to. So what have you got now as your final fit. From reading, Dobi's rear end, with new dobis front springs (C43-190 10mm longer new springs ) with the Ultimate shockers with a spacer ring ?

How thick is your ring ? Oops that doesn't really sound too good does it....... :lol:

And how much did you trim your bump stop by, and with all that modding, have you any downwards movement in the suspension left ?
Choady

Postby Dylan 191 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:08 pm

Hey guys just got a quote from suspension place in perth that is the rep for dobinsons over here and they want 1650 for a kit
seems a bit rich for me when subi and the rest of u guys getn em for around 1400
surely not that much freight for over here
anyone in perth got dobinsons ??
any sugestions from u guys would be cool
not sure if can get em through doibinsons directly or what
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby Greedy on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Give Martin a call in Sydney. Deal direct. (02) 4647 8295. His freight was $77 to Adelaide for an idea
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dylan 191 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Greedy wrote:Give Martin a call in Sydney. Deal direct. (02) 4647 8295. His freight was $77 to Adelaide for an idea

arnt they based in queensland ? dobinsons that is
Dylan 191

Postby Greedy on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Dylan 191 wrote:arnt they based in queensland ? dobinsons that is

I think their manufacturing and head office is. Try them as well. :D It's gotta be better than dealing with a middle man who wants your money disguised as freight. :D

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Dylan was that supply only, and not fitted?!!
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Cyber 09 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:49 pm

Hey Dylan,

We have Dobinsons. In fact being fitted tonight as we speak. We got our direct from
Dobinsons Springs and Suspension Sydney in January
Delivered to the door in northern suburbs Perth
for $1350.00 supply only obviously.
Don't mess with the middle man

Cyber 09
Cyber 09

Postby Dylan 191 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:12 pm

subi_man wrote:Dylan was that supply only, and not fitted?!!

yeah that was supply only they wanted nearly 2 grand with them installing

Cyber 09 wrote:Hey Dylan,

We have Dobinsons. In fact being fitted tonight as we speak. We got our direct from
Dobinsons Springs and Suspension Sydney in January
Delivered to the door in northern suburbs Perth
for $1350.00 supply only obviously.
Don't mess with the middle man

Cyber 09

oh thats awsome cyber cheers i will be calling them then bugger this other stooge
Dylan 191

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 am

how did you go cyber
did u compress the springs yourself ?
bet its a world of difference from standard :shock:
Dylan 191

Postby Cyber 09 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:55 pm

Dylan191
Yep all done and real happy with the height.
Have only done short drive and feels good. Suspect that it may settle a little but current heights are
DF - 580
PF - 570
DR - 665
PR - 660
Na gotta admit we took the easy option and went to Northern 4x4. $50.00 and half an hour. Sounds like a good decision as they commented on how firm they were to compress. There machine started shaking
Cyber 09

Postby FreestyleCab on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:42 am

Na gotta admit we took the easy option and went to Northern 4x4. $50.00 and half an hour. Sounds like a good decision as they commented on how firm they were to compress.

I should have done this. I spend half an hour on each spring, mucking about with 4 spring compressors.... with sweat pissing out of me. All the time hoping the whole thing wouldn't explode in my face!

(Please, nobody pervert that sentence into something dirty! :lol: )
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Choady on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Yeah, but they last longer if basted in sweat as you install them..... :D

Subi's are gonna last forever..... and no squeaks either .... :lol:
Choady

Postby Buzzy on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Choady wrote:Yeah, but they last longer if basted in sweat as you install them..... :D

Subi's are gonna last forever..... and no squeaks either .... :lol:

Come and sweat on mine please choady :D ...... Bloody POS :x
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Even with the amount of sweat put into mine, I hope I haven't got squeaks to look forward to :shock:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Choady on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Buzzy - Is it just the rear leafs aqueaking ? If so, does it squeak the whole travel ? I mean, on mine if a stand on the rear bar, it make noise all the way until it stops moving at completion of downward travel. Then, when you hop off it sqeaks all the way back up again. Some ive seen only squeak intermittently and somewhat randonmly.

Its strange - I though new leafs would have sorted it - not like it can be coming from many places ! Maybe re-torque the u bolts ?

Otherwise im happy to come up there and sweat on them for you .... :lol:
Choady

Postby Buzzy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:04 am

Had it on the stand at Pedders in town last week getting the strut spacers put in.
Decided to check my ride heights because its very noticably lower on the left hand side....... 30mm lower on the RL compared to the RR. Not happy. Old mate at Pedders couldnt believe it had sagged that much. There is also no weight on that side. On the high side I have and fridge slide setup and my 40l Engle fridge :?
This is also the second leaf its had in that side. Martin sent me a new one as the old one sagged a mile. Not sure whats going on. I recon this is what is causing the squeeking also. The cars not sitting level. I had a heap of squeeking going on before I change the leaf out the first time. Coming from both sides.
Put the new spring in and it lifted the car back to within 5mm of the RR side. Sqeeking totally gone.
Now its sagged again over time and the sqeeking is back. Just cheked it now and its 25mm lower in the rear and 15mm lower in the front. Generally I love the suspenstion as its completly change the car. Some of the ruts I was hitting last weekend on the barry run would have had me sideways on the std springs, but mine just sat straight no movement at all, very nice. Might have to give Martin a call today about it. What leaves should I try next :roll:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:39 am

i thought dobinsons was the ducks nuts ?
not nice to hear this when thinking of putting it in my truck
anyone else had issues with them
Dylan 191

Postby daryn on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:22 am

Dylan 191 wrote:i thought dobinsons was the ducks nuts ?
not nice to hear this when thinking of putting it in my truck
anyone else had issues with them

As we all do, we research, research, research, that is why there is so many of us also hanging around this forum.

I personally think that there is better suspension (ie. coils, shocks, struts and leafs)whether it be individual components or as a complete kit than Dobinsons (This is based on my research). They seem to be a good alternative to Ironman for those looking for performance vs dollar and a fairly Australian product. If I was looking at this price point I would get Dobinsons for sure. But give me a few hundred more dollars and I am off to others. Its also getting that combination to meet our individual demands, which is very hard to do.

I am also fortunate that at present my purchases are not paid for by me as my work truck during work hours goes off road, so they pay.

So basically I am saying that Dobinsons are good but not the "Ducks Nuts".

Just more discussion for this great thread.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:23 am

Dylan,
I know what I said up there doesnt sound great but I still love the ride/handling etc of the suspenstion, its awesome. Austblue & myself are the first to have installed Dobinsons on the site and I think Aust likes his stuff. I believe they have now fixed a few issues, like supplying you with castor wedges/tailshaft spacers to reduce the shudder.
I think they have also change the front springs now 10mm longer than what mine are to allow for sagging over time. Dont let it deter you they are good its just my luck :lol: :roll:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:31 am

Buzzy,
Have you checked the ubolts? It totally fixed mine up.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 am

Buzzy wrote:Dylan,
I know what I said up there doesnt sound great but I still love the ride/handling etc of the suspenstion, its awesome. Austblue & myself are the first to have installed Dobinsons on the site and I think Aust likes his stuff. I believe they have now fixed a few issues, like supplying you with castor wedges/tailshaft spacers to reduce the shudder.
I think they have also change the front springs now 10mm longer than what mine are to allow for sagging over time. Dont let it deter you they are good its just my luck :lol: :roll:

hey buzzy cheers for that i think i still guna go for dobinsons as like daryn said they are great value for money and an australian product which is important to me !!
ive been reasearching for a while so as to not waste the hard earned coin and am sure will be happy with em

thanks heaps for the feedback guys
Dylan
Dylan 191

Postby FreestyleCab on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:06 pm

30mm lower on the RL compared to the RR. Not happy. Old mate at Pedders couldnt believe it had sagged that much. There is also no weight on that side. On the high side I have and fridge slide setup and my 40l Engle fridge

Don't forget the fuel tank is on the passenger side.

My ute has always sat a little lower on the passenger side and did not change with the Dobinson kit going in.
I guess I could always get someone to measure the ride heights while I am sitting in the drivers seat.....to see if my 105kg ass makes any difference to the "lean"
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Bartman on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Buzzy wrote:.....Decided to check my ride heights because its very noticably lower on the left hand side....... 30mm lower on the RL compared to the RR.

We encountered the same problem in Polish Mitsu Triton ML forum. 100% of Tritons we measured sitted 20mm-30mm lower on the left side. The cars were brand new with stock susspension. We thought it was caused that our tritons had been initialy intendend to left side driving and Mitsu didnt't make conversion for right side driving carefully, but now I can see that U've got the same problem in OZ.
Bartman

Postby Buzzy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:38 pm

FreestyleCab wrote:
30mm lower on the RL compared to the RR. Not happy. Old mate at Pedders couldnt believe it had sagged that much. There is also no weight on that side. On the high side I have and fridge slide setup and my 40l Engle fridge

Don't forget the fuel tank is on the passenger side.

My ute has always sat a little lower on the passenger side and did not change with the Dobinson kit going in.
I guess I could always get someone to measure the ride heights while I am sitting in the drivers seat.....to see if my 105kg ass makes any difference to the "lean"

I though about this to FSC
When we measured it the fuel light was on :shock:
I dont have a prob with 10-15mm, but 25-30 is getting out of hand.
Quite easily notice it while sitting in the drivers seat.
Talked to Martin today. He is making some calls to the factory and getting back to me tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Hey Dylyn dobinson shocks are made/manufactured in europe only while the springs are ossie
( I think ) :(
sam

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension