Considering big bore shocks for rear...good idea?

Considering big bore shocks for rear...good idea?

Postby AussieAnth on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:10 am

Haven't been able to find the right info on here so far. My current suspension setup is Ulitimate Suspension coils and struts up front, and EFS 150kg constant load rear leafs and EFS Elite rear shocks. All shocks are a pretty standard size bore.

My rear right shock is leaking a little oil, so it might be time to replace them (not even 3 years/35,000kms old!)

At the time I started out with EFS in the front and rear, there was a "big bore" shock option. My understanding is a big bore shock will hold more oil and therefore dissapate heat and be more durable, especially with corregations.

Daily driving and when I go weekend offroading with the boys I dont tend to load the vehicle up too much. I do tow a 1300kg camper trailer now occasionally, but just for touring/camping. In the future there will be some extended outback driving with the family & camper trailer (ie: corregated roads).

So I'm wondering if a big bore shock would be a better option, or will it reduce my offroad capability with less flex?
What effect will big bore shocks have other than possibly being more robust?
If Big Bore is worth considering, anyone have a suggested brand/model?

The easy option is to install 2 more Aussie Ryder shocks from Ultimate, and then go with their leafs when I need to.
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Considering big bore shocks for rear...good idea?

Postby snakesoup on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:22 pm

I can tell you that the shocks won't effect your flex at all "unless there topping out of coarse, and to get the best that you can afford, the general consensus around here is that ultimate is quite a good compromise between cost and use ability, that's what I would be doing, good warranty to boot
snakesoup

Postby donks1 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Just buy Bilstiens. Had them in every car I have owned. Massive improvement over anything else. Never had a failure. Thats both 4WD and standard road cars. ( Crumbledoors etc. )
donks1

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Search Bilsteins here before you consider them.

There are lots of good shock absorbers out there, and lots more that make big claims that they don't quite live up to. For normal use, like yours, the Ultimates have proven them selves time and time again, plus you get them valved specifically for your vehicle and use. That's way better than just buying something "off the shelf".
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby donks1 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Bilstien don't do off the shelf. They are an international manufacturer, with multiple spec options for all individual vehicles. I know where you are coming from Chris, supporting sponsers and supporters of the site, but you still need to be open minded and objective. The likes of tough dog, pedders and others, make a limited range, and say, thats close enough to fit your car. That is fact. A few local manufactures simply don't have the r&d budjet to cater for all vehicles. Someone like Monroe supply just about all local built cars, ( not that there is many left). Doesnt mean they are the best. They are made to meet a standard and cost to vehicle manufacturer.
The TRD Hilux ( sorry to mention the oposition ) runs Bilstiens. No TOKIKO, No MONROE or any other crap. Of all the options out there, to be sourced from around the world, they went with Bilsien. I'm no Toyota fan, but that is probably the best decision they have made in the last 10 years. Can't say much for the rest of the vehicle.
Yes they are expensive, but as with most things, you get what you pay for. They are proven, world wide, accross a large range of vehicles. From Joe's daily driver, to race and off road. Don't just dismiss them.

Steve
donks1

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:26 pm

Sure mate, I support site sponsors - but only if I think that their products are good enough. I've had two sets of Ultimates and extremely happy with product and service, which Is why I recommend them. There have been a number of site sponsors that I've never mentioned in a recommendation.

I have nothing against Bilsteins either. Had them in a Commodore and they were the duck's guts. Only shock that lasted. But Commodores and Tritons are quite different and one has to wonder why Bilsteins haven't become popular with Tritons. I seriously considered them for the Pajero, given their popularity with Pajero owners. Yet, they have also recorded some spectacular failures - something that just doesn't seem to happen with the Ultimates. I can't recall ever having seen a post here showing an Ultimate failure. That's not to say that they don't - I do know of a couple of instances. So, I reckon go with those who have the numbers on the board - it's a safe recommendation for me and, for OP, he has a much better chance of getting what he wants.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ag9111 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:51 am

There have been recorded issues of leaking ultimates that I remember being either repaired under warranty or rebuilt at customers expense.
I cant remember any incidents of a failure of ultimates, not to say there haven't been any.
I am on my 3rd set of ultimates on 3 different vehicles. Cant recommend them highly enough.
The good thing about ultimate suspension, and their service, is that my circumstances changed with my last vehicle. Ultimate were able to modify the rear spring pack configuration, for my load carrying specs. They also fitted up the airbags, that I supplied.
At the same time they serviced the rest of the suspension and supplied me all new bushes.
All at a price that my mechanic said "didn't even cover my labour".
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:06 am

AussieAnth wrote:My rear right shock is leaking a little oil, so it might be time to replace them (not even 3 years/35,000kms old!)

The easy option is to install 2 more Aussie Ryder shocks from Ultimate, and then go with their leafs when I need to.

The Ultimate shocks are also rebuildable, which is another benefit. I've run them over corrugations, and the held out fine.

I've run Bilsteins in a few vehicles, and find them to be excellent, but I don't find them to be as durable off-road as others. Before using Ultimate, I was using Rancho for off road use.

The other thing to consider is rear shocks are easy to damage on the rear of a leaf sprung 4x4, even the twin walled stuff. The pain of throwing away a badly dented, near new Bilstein :(
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby catchya on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 am

Ultimate fronts, EFS rears ....sounds like a mismatch without knowing the complete specs. Go with your easy option and do the rear leafs at the same time, at least the whole suspension package will be matched.

As for rebuilding shocks, cheaper to rebuild an Ultimate spec shock than a Bilstein in Australia. Bilstein Australia want drug money but you can rebuild a basic Bilstein shock and up spec the living day lights out it eg remote canisters, coilover conversions etc

note: TRD spec Toyota models and performance Toyota cars as far as I know have been optioned with Bilsteins as far back as 1993.

Goodluck
catchya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 pm

I have had Ultimates fail due to seal failure and lower bushings made of chinesium. While in warranty at 32000km old. Got a bit of a run around dealing with that issue (buried somewhere in the forum), so I won't be revisiting that option. Others had better luck it seems.

As previously stated, they have great spring packs and the front Lovell's are well matched, but the shocks are only 'ok' quality. I guess quality control in China can be variable.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:37 pm

donks1 wrote:Just buy Bilstiens. Had them in every car I have owned. Massive improvement over anything else. Never had a failure. Thats both 4WD and standard road cars. ( Crumbledoors etc. )

I had the bilstien shocks- thought that I would go upmarket when I bought the triton brand new in 2008
the ride was great and the rear shocks were still going strong after 120,000kms

The front however I had a shaft scoring problem on one side after 55,000kms- thought bad luck, stuff happens so bought another bilstien front strut (was $50 more expensive to buy new then to rebuild) 5,000kms later (at 60,000kms) the opposite strut suffered the same failure (scoring on the shaft) so 2 failure in a triton by bilstien struts with less than 60,000kms- no warranty or anything- so I still have a bilstien strut here with less than 5,000kms on it that I have as a spare BUT it won't be going on the vehicle.

you could say it was the vehicle or the springs or any number of things, BUT another brand strut lasted 120,000kms with the same springs on the same vehicle without failure, just had to replace the bottom bushes once in that time.

There have now been other incidences of the bilstien strut shaft scoring under similar conditions that I operate under- remote touring https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=55063 and the thought is that the shaft in the bilstiens is not thick enough for the shortish arms and high force triton front end.

anyway I digress- the rear bilstiens are fine which is what this thread is about
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Return to Suspension