Advice - Shocks, struts and tyres - MN GLX-R 2011

Advice - Shocks, struts and tyres - MN GLX-R 2011

Postby Garth22 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi

I am needing to replace struts, shocks and tyres on my MN Triton all currently stock standard. Currently running Kumo Tyres. It's a dual cab with no bull bar. Do some towing of a camper trailer and some dirt road but mainly road driving (85%). Tossing up between the following:

Bilstein shocks and struts and going Kumo KL61
Or
Dobinsons (not the one with the external oil Reso) and BF Goodrich TK02.

Any advice on shocks/struts would be welcome or prior experience. Same for tyres too.

Not looking to change the height.

Thanks.
Garth22

Re: Advice - Shocks, struts and tyres - MN GLX-R 2011

Postby bdrjnr on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 am

Hi Garth

I use Bilstein shocks with ultimate front and rear springs that is raised approx 50mm.( i love the bilsteins, as they can be re valved. fronts you do, backs its cheaper and easier to buy new ones I have used them with my variety club bash cars in the past, and have out lasted any other shock other cars would use on the tough roads in pre 1970's cars)

I have also recently purchased a camper trailer and the first time i took it out i noticed it slightly lowered the back end. I cant remember the rating for the rear leaf springs. I think it was up to 250kg constant.

Saying all this i am waiting for a purchase to arrive so i can weigh the downward weight on the front of the camper trailer and then go back to ultimate to see if i should change my rear leaf springs (and shocks).

I have a friend that changed his rear leaf springs to Dobinsons, due to the extra weight he is now carrying, and loves them.

In terms of tyres, i used to run the yoki geolander all terrain, never had an issue, loved them, never got stuck, but maybe i wasn't trying hard enough.

I now use a set of achillies desert hawk m/t, from limited use i like them off road and on the road, was on a really really dusty road a few months back, and they handled really well towing my bike trailer.

I know it may not answer you question, but am now interested to see what others say also, and what you end up doing.
bdrjnr

Postby Bammo on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Garth I recently installed Ultimate Struts/shocks in mine. About 1 hour in the driveway with a mate's borrowed spring compressors and the instructions posted on here. I run Bridgestone 697's - I forget the exact size but bottom line is about a 20mm increase in ride height over factory.

I'm stoked - the tyres get excellent mileage and are a genuine all rounder with good wet weather performance. The shocks/struts made a massive difference to handling for a reasonable cost ($650 delivered). I didn't want a lift and there was nothing wrong with my springs.

Best thing I ever did to my MN.
Bammo

Postby Garth22 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks bdrjnr. That some good tips. I think I am leaning to the Bilstein and BFGs. I was thinking about king or dobinson springs change put while they are in there. I find the camper weight dips the back of the car a little. Waiting to see what the shocks do and then might think about the leafs from there. Someone mentioned for me to try a superspring. Maybe check that out.
Garth22

Postby uglyman73 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:28 am

I have just installed a set off Dobinsons MRR struts and rear shocks on mine on Saturday and then did a 700km run up the east coast from melb on the Sunday and so far these shocks are fantastic. They are a pain to fit the remote reservoir in the front wheel arches but the rear reservoirs are mounted to the shocks so are a bit easier, the right rear reservoir needed to be adjusted slightly to miss the exhaust and cross beam but no big issue.

The ride on these is a tad stiff but they are just new so i expect they will get a little softer but not much I like a stiffer ride so they are exactly what I was after but you can get dobinsons to re-tune them if you want a different compression/rebound than stock and they are rebuildable. They are really beefy shocks and after several hours on the road were still cool to touch even after some really bumpy coast roads. I have yet to try them off road but that will be soon ;) .

I also fitted a set of Tough dog rear comfort springs 0-300kg with 25mm lift in the rear and they were a breeze to fit and ride really nice combined with the dobinsons shocks.

So time will tell when it comes to how tough the dobinsons are long term but so far they are great ride wise.
uglyman73

Postby Simon's truck on Fri May 05, 2017 5:16 pm

uglyman73, how they going now mate?
Simon's truck

Postby MilkmanDan on Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 pm

I just threw an ultimate kit in and I wish I did it earlier. 200thou old suspension though was well and truly shagged
MilkmanDan

Postby mad992 on Fri May 05, 2017 8:38 pm

yes Ultimate here as well handles and rides well for a 2008 ML :)
mad992

Postby uglyman73 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Simon's truck wrote:uglyman73, how they going now mate?

Going great :D

The shocks give a really nice ride and keep the ute stable on corners compared to what it used to drive like. They are really controlled and are amazing off road especially on big hits like unexpected pot holes :shock:. The tough dog springs are looking to be a great buy as well as they keep the rear end ride as good as I could hope for with a leaf sprung rear. They ride nice and smooth and have not had trouble with a full load of firewood and even 3 layers of house bricks i had to move a few weeks ago.
uglyman73

Return to Suspension