Ironman vs Outback Armor??? Help please

Ironman vs Outback Armor??? Help please

Postby Big.tasty on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:37 am

Need to upgrade my suspension in my 2009 ml Triton.
Got some quotes locally and not sure which one to go with, both are installed as that's not an option for me due to workplace injury.

Quote 1. Iron-man full upgrade and 40mm lift, installed with a wheel alignment $2400.

Quote 2. Outback Armor full upgrade and 50mm lift, installed with a wheel alignment $2300.

I have not much experience in this area, I need new suspension due to my front sagging badly, still want the ride to be enjoyable as have a toddler and wife. Can anyone throw any light on these two options and which one is better? These are the only options I have locally and as stated I can't fit myself so thanks.

Also I'm not a mud runner kind of guy, more weekend low range exploring with occasional slow rock stuff.
Big.tasty

Re: Ironman vs Outback Armor??? Help please

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:20 am

Are you in a remote location? There should be more than those two options if you are.

Suspension is suck a selective topic. I don't have either so can't give an opinion, just asking location as there may be better alternatives than both of those options around?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby braydenc on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Big.tasty I recently installed Ironman Suspension in my rig which If I remember was 300kg constants in the rear and medium coils in the front.

So far its only had about 2000ks on it so I cant give a long term review on it but its been great so far its a touch stiffer but I like that in suspension not to rough easily better then stock.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby Geoff3DMN on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 am

I fitted Ironman suspension (not the most basic one then next one up) 15,000kms ago and it hasn't sagged and it still works as well as when I had it fitted.

I can't say as to whether it's better or worse than other aftermarket suspension options but it's certainly better than stock.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rokster on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:16 pm

I've done nearly 20000 on my Outback Armours. Love them, will take them again and again. Not so stiff that the daily ride is compromised, and rides beautifully with a car full of people and camping gear.
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 pm

On Facebook groups have not seen a bad comment for Outback Armour, a few shops/installers rate it highly and recommend it it that price bracket.
I have seen a lot of posts by unhappy Ironman suspension owners, however others are happy with it.
Ironman would not be on my short list of suspension kits. The poor man often pays twice.

At those prices Outback Armour
Last edited by L200Shogun on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L200Shogun

Postby Geoff3DMN on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:58 pm

L200Shogun wrote:I have seen a lot of posts by unhappy Ironman suspension owners, however others are happy with it.

There are 3 quality levels with Ironman suspension kits for the MQ and 2 for the MN and ML.

The cheapest one is to be honest only suitable for on road use.

The middle one is ok for general 4 wheel drive use but isn't anything special.

The most expensive one has better shocks than the mid range one.

With 3 different levels of kit it's difficult to tell what people are complaining about.
My local IronMan shop said in no uncertain terms not to fit the cheapest kit if I had any intention of ever going off road but other shops may not be so honest.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Suspension