MN Steering Wheel Vibration 100+ & breaking from 100

MN Steering Wheel Vibration 100+ & breaking from 100

Postby Jason91 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 am

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right section or right topic, used the search function and couldn't find anything relating to my issue.

Few weeks ago I was travelling to western QLD on our notoriously bad highways. Was overtaking a line of about 4-5 cars doing 120+ then started breaking as the overtaking lane was ending. Ended up being that I had to slow down faster then intended as a grey nomad with a big caravan started to merge back in, instead of giving way & I needed to stop as opposed to rear ending his van.

Anywho as I was breaking I came over quite a large bump (whoop) and was under breaking at the same time so the front end of the car took the impact quite firmly. After the impact and for the rest of the day when ever I'd break I'd get a steering wheel shudder.

Ended up going away after the end of the day or so I thought, now I've noticed since then that when I accelerate over 100k's I get the same steering wheel shudder & it's even worse when I'm breaking from 100. It's like someone is quite literally shaking the steering wheel. Last weekend I went and had a wheel alignment & such and they didn't pick anything up. I'm wondering if I've possibly warped a rotor or bent something in the suspension components. As on a previous car I owned I developed something similar to this after smacking a gutter hard, trying to slide around a corner only the problem was worse.

Any help would be appreciated & moral of the story is get on the breaks harder and watch out for vaners & bad QLD roads.

Should also mention I'm driving a 2014 MN sorry guys

Cheers J
Jason91

Re: MN Steering Wheel Vibration 100+ & breaking from 100

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:07 am

Have a look for missing wheel weights.

I had a wheel alignment/balance done a couple of weeks ago and it came back just not quite right. Went back yesterday and they found one wheel needed an extra 30gram.

Sounds like in your case you might have cooked your rotors but symptoms of that would be more of an issue when actually braking.

I'd start by jacking up each front wheel and give them a spin to see if everything is running true.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:47 am

+2 on wheel balance
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jason91 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 pm

Hey guys just thought I'd give you an update, when back for another wheel balance and a re adjust, vibration is still there but not as bad, the bad shake is when I brake from 100km. Am thinking I might have bent a rotor or something of the sorts. I can't justify fixing the issue as I'm upgrading to bendix pads and rotors soon & ultimate suspension. However I will get it looked at when I go for my next service.

Thanks for all the help fellas

J
Jason91

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 am

My original rotors gave the shakes from about 40k, problem disappeared at around 150k when I replaced them. :lol:

The OEM seem to be crappy castings, almost be worth to turf them when you purchase the vehicle, only good point is the lack of wear.

J'91, do you have steel or alloy wheels? If steel just loosen and retighten the nuts in sequence - may help.

With either wheel type is also worth checking that the contact area between the wheel and hub is clean.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:04 am

DId you check the wheel alignment at the same time? This can diagnose any number of front end faults.

Also check that you haven't bent a hub flange, and check the control arm rubbers.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jason91 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:27 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:DId you check the wheel alignment at the same time? This can diagnose any number of front end faults.

Also check that you haven't bent a hub flange, and check the control arm rubbers.

Yep wheel alignment was done at the same time mate, thanks for all the info more work for me to do.
Jason91

Return to Suspension