Loan me a set of front MN struts for 2 weeks?

Loan me a set of front MN struts for 2 weeks?

Postby Bammo on Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Anyone have a set of front struts for an MN Triton they aren't using that they could loan me for a couple of weeks? Need to pull my failed Ultimate Shocks out of the front of my MN to send them back to Ultimate for repair so need something to keep the car on the road.

Crappy old OEM struts you pulled out and which are gathering dust on the shelf would be perfect . Car will only be used lightly for the couple of weeks I need them!

Will pay freight if you aren't in Perth...
Bammo

Re: Loan me a set of front MN struts for 2 weeks?

Postby 4wd26 on Thu May 02, 2019 3:46 pm

if no one else closer I have a set complete with top hats to suit

maybe go to a suspension place or 4x4 store and you would get something if you can wait i'm sure.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Bammo on Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Cheers - lets see if someone locally has something first. I am assuming here of course that only the Struts need replacement but would be handy to pull the whole lot off in one go....
Bammo

Postby msrlo on Thu May 02, 2019 6:54 pm

just wondering how old your shocks are
msrlo

Postby Bammo on Thu May 02, 2019 10:51 pm

I replaced the whole set (Shocks on rear and struts on front) just over 2 years ago with a new set from Ultimate. Vehicle has done about 10,000ks of very soft travel in that time so to say I was disappointed with their performance would be an understatement.

Have written to them a couple of times with no response so finally rang them today. They said they can rebuild the struts but no explanation as to why the extreme short life nor apparently any particular concern about looking after me.

I first noticed the oil leaking a few weeks before the warranty period expired but - stupidly - forgot to document it then and only afterwards realised what has happened.
Bammo

Postby msrlo on Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 pm

well that answers my thoughts about going back to them again, my first set up from them was great but new second set up on another triton ute is absolute rubbish. worst suspension I've ever had
msrlo

Postby dogspeed on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Do you still require the struts?
I'll have a stock complete assembled pair available soon, though I am in Melbourne.
dogspeed

Postby Bammo on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 pm

OK time for an update folks. I was heading to Sydney anyway so I jacked up the front of the MN and removed both front struts. Pulled the tubes out and hand carried them to Ultimate. They guys there serviced them in time for me to collect and return. They fitted new bushes and supplied a new set of 2 piece spring bottom mounts (the twisted metal base that the thin end of the coil spring sits on). I really only wanted the shocks repaired so was a bit miffed that the price was higher for the new bushes etc as I thought the old ones were OK but we reached a compromise.

I went to install them and learned a couple of things.

1) The two piece spring bases were not the same dimensions as the one piece bases - they were noticeably longer which put more pressure on the spring and changed the orientation - made getting the bases of the shocks into the bottom mounts very difficult. I scrapped them and reused the original pair which fitted much easier. I took the time to inspect the old top bushes as well and in the process mixed the old and the new up. I literally could not tell them apart so remain a bit confused as to why I had to shell out for new ones but perhaps one of the bottom bushes was the cause of Ultimate's concern.

2) They discarded the metal retaining clip on the strut for some reason, this is what the wheel speed sensor cable is bolted to. Went to do final assembly and had to cable tie that on until I can get to SCA and buy new ones.

3) (And this one is ALL on me!) I was able to reinstall the struts with the front of the car jacked up (on a pair of stands) no problem but for the life of me I could not get the top wishbone arm back into the brackets. I eventually figured out that the old trick of putting the jack under the bottom arm wasn't working because all the weight was being taken by the stands. I put a wheel on one side temporarily and it all went much easier after that. So lesson for today is, if you are changing the front struts on the ground (not a lift) do them one at a time!!

So the Triton is back to normal in driving - just like it was for the first 12 months after fitting the Ultimate gear the first time around. The shock failed after 12 months - was under warranty but I delayed getting them fixed so I had to pony up the money. They were unable to offer an explanation as to why it failed other than "it had sand and dirt in it".

My experience with Ultimate Suspension has so far been a bit of a mixed bag. They were helpful and accommodating but I can't help but feel a bit ripped off for being charged for extra items above the quoted service, for them losing the clips and for the fact of the premature failure of the unit in the first place. Its hard to keep all customers happy all the time I know but this hasn't been an encouraging experience...
Bammo

Postby Duck on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Does not sound like it was handled very well, struts fail even the best of them occasionally within a few months, but we will be judged on not when things go well but how we deal with things going badly, for the sake of not burning a customer, a few weeks out of warranty take the small amount of pain and keep a customer. Guarantee this post has turned someone off using the business.
Hope the new ones are mint and you get a good run.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Return to Suspension