Droop stop and lift issues

Droop stop and lift issues

Postby Radaz on Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:34 pm

Hey,
I bought a 2nd hand 2014 triton last year with what I was told to be a 3" Dobinson lift no other details on it. I've had some issues with it this year starting with a snapped tie end rod, upon fixing this I ran into a lot of other damaged parts the main one being the shock absorber failed on one side when extending to full droop.
I've replaced the shock absorbers with Pedders ones and changed the damaged upper ball joints with extended ball joints to increase distance from droop stop (not sure what the gap was originally). Dropping the car back onto its wheels after the work it is seeming to basically sit on the droop stop at ride height there seems to be less compression in the springs and the wheel camber is way out (I expected it to be out a bit due to extended ball joints but not so far) and expected a 20-30mm gap from droop stop.
Any info on how I could fix this or why it would be so different after only new shock absorbers and extended ball joints? Am I best off just having spring spacer removed to lower the lift kit?
Thanks
Radaz

Re: Droop stop and lift issues

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:00 pm

I,m surprised with 3" that the front cv/s are still alive Radaz,
I,m sure someone who,s had or gone down this path will jump in and have more knowledge than I can offer, Cheers Wunsie
WUNSIE

Postby srb on Thu May 04, 2023 7:59 am

3" suspension lift is way too high, 2" is the max. If you're on your droop stops at ride hight, then that's bad. The only fix is to lower the spring or reduce the preload.
1.Check to make sure they haven't got any top hat strut spacers on top of the strut assembly? These can be dangerous.
2. If theres no top hat spacers, you probably have too many preload spacers installed? The strut has to be disassembled to remove them.
3. If no spacers are found, they have installed the wrong length struts.

Oh, and you don't need extended ball joints for 2" lift.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Radaz on Thu May 04, 2023 6:59 pm

[quote="srb"]3" suspension lift is way too high, 2" is the max. If you're on your droop stops at ride hight, then that's bad. The only fix is to lower the spring or reduce the preload.
1.Check to make sure they haven't got any top hat strut spacers on top of the strut assembly? These can be dangerous.
2. If theres no top hat spacers, you probably have too many preload spacers installed? The strut has to be disassembled to remove them.
3. If no spacers are found, they have installed the wrong length struts.

Oh, and you don't need extended ball joints for 2" lift.

Thanks for the help, pretty sure its a strut spacer which is causing the grief. I'll look at removing that and change back to normal ball joints.
Radaz

Return to Suspension