Flat leaf springs

Re: Flat leaf springs

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:54 pm

my leafs are pretty stuffed they look the same as jops photo but i noticed when loaded say 600-700kg they frown alot :( if i was to add a pair of these helper springs would i(mitsubishi) still need to retemper my leafs.
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Chill on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi, I reset my rear leaf springs by mayne spring works in Brisbane and they had done a good job. I also installed a set of airbags and they work a treat. You can invert the bottom leaf spring for a smooth ride with about 15 PSI in the airbag and get a comfy ride then when you put load in the back like I do, put more presure in the airbag to get the ride height adjusted. Cheers
Chill

Postby nonnymouse on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:21 pm

ok so the rear springs on my ml are more than flat. they are verging on a sad face. :( After doing a ring around I have been asked if I want ones for 300kg constant or 500kg constant. I have a canopy, drawers and are likely to do a bit of off road, as well as towing a boat or camper trailer on a semi regular basis. I have no idea. can someone point me in the right direction.
nonnymouse

Postby mitzikatzi on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:27 pm

nonnymouse wrote:ok so the rear springs on my ml are more than flat. they are verging on a sad face. :( After doing a ring around I have been asked if I want ones for 300kg constant or 500kg constant. I have a canopy, drawers and are likely to do a bit of off road, as well as towing a boat or camper trailer on a semi regular basis. I have no idea. can someone point me in the right direction.

The standard answer seems to be ask Ultimate in the sponsers section.

In reality leaf springs have been around for over 100 years any number of suspension shops can help you.

How much does your camping equipment weigh and what is the trailer (ball down force) weight?
mitzikatzi

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Sounds to me like 500 but query why there's only two options. Even if you're not going with them just ring ultimate armed with a list of questions - they're knowledgeable on the triton and don't mind taking extra time to explain all the ins and outs.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby nonnymouse on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 pm

to be quite honest I have no idea. its a 7x4 trailer with a 180kg camper tent on top, add future water tank etc.. we have made an estimation and the lighter ones seem to be more appropriate for daily driving but we do get out and about quite a bit. we are worried the heavier ones are going to be too stiff for everyday driving when not loaded up but would be more ideal for recreation.
nonnymouse

Postby nonnymouse on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:04 pm

thanks cowboy dave. I think I have just had things dumbed down for me. kind of why I joined this forum. To learn a bit more and be able to understand what they are talking about and not sound like a gullible idiot who can be ripped off or fobbed off.
nonnymouse

Postby mitzikatzi on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:06 pm

I have seen a similar question on here before. eg The solution it that case was the lighter springs and don't mention it air bags to level. Ultimate will set you straight.
mitzikatzi

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:40 pm

My read on it was that your canopy and drawers would be pretty heavy but then I was picturing my drawers which are steel and heavy, and usually full. My canopy is reasonably heavy too but I suppose they vary as well.

I hear what you're saying on being treated like you don't know anything. My dealer does it every time. Then I start talking hotline fixes and SCV issues like I have half a clue and they start backtracking all of a sudden.

Anyway in all seriousness, and I really am not pushing their product (don't really have to) ultimate will take the time to answer your questions and if need be will talk through your mods and uses and so on. In my case they actually weighed it all first before working out what to put into it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Ive just noticed mine not looking to healthy :(

Ive just put a arb canopy on and loaded up with my usual pre canopy camping gear and the springs started to frown. That extra 70kg tipped it over the edge.

Does anyone know how dangerous it is to run the triton when its loaded and the springs are level, as ive lightened my load and im heading out tomorrow but it will be only very light trails so im kinda curious as to wether im asking for trouble.

Thanks in advance.
I no longer fear bridges, for all the trolls have moved to the forums....
Lethal_Leroy

Postby srb on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Assuming you have factory shocks and springs? From my experience the standard shocks are the main problem, especially with heavy loads and high speeds.

Depending on the loads you carry, upgraded springs can help maintain ride hight and vehicle dynamics making the vehicle handle better and safer.;-)
Fully loaded your leaf springs are designed to run close to flat, so don't be too hung up about that. Although the factory leafs haven't got a great reputation for load carrying.:roll:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks srb. I'm running just before the flat stage so I was pretty confident I would be fine, just needed a bit of confirmation/reassurance, as id hate to have the wife complaining about me breaking something on her first trip out camping.
I no longer fear bridges, for all the trolls have moved to the forums....
Lethal_Leroy

Postby hvac guy on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:42 am

I was 3cm short of being on the bump stops on my last trip to Fraser with a camper trailer and had no problems. I have new springs now but
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stylemaster on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:37 am

I was having problems with my rear sagging when I put the camper on (1650kg indep. sus. Goldstream Offroad)and the rear loaded(canopy) with fridge, draws etc. I have reversed the tongue on the tow bar which levelled the camper better and added the ironman load plus springs. Problems solved. It sits and behaves soooo much better. All for the grand sum of $220 fitted. I thing the helper springs are only $100 a pair and not too hard to fit.

As for towball weights I seem to remember a rough calculation was 10% of your loaded trailer weight?
Stylemaster

Postby Riguez on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 am

Stylemaster wrote:I was having problems with my rear sagging when I put the camper on (1650kg indep. sus. Goldstream Offroad)and the rear loaded(canopy) with fridge, draws etc. I have reversed the tongue on the tow bar which levelled the camper better and added the ironman load plus springs. Problems solved. It sits and behaves soooo much better. All for the grand sum of $220 fitted. I thing the helper springs are only $100 a pair and not too hard to fit.

I added those ironman load plus springs as a stop gap measure a couple of years ago - my set up similar to yours re the off road camper plus other camping gear causing massive sag. I also use it for work every day but not over loaded. the springs did really well for about a year, then they became 'adequate', now they are shot .... so for $220 I guess they were ok. Not really a long term solution though.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Riguez

Postby stefanos on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:38 pm

I don't want to open a new thread ....so I put my question here.Does anyone know the specs (spring rate) of the OEM leaf springs????.......I did a search.......but nothing!! :? :?
stefanos

Postby fraz91 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:15 pm

stefanos wrote:I don't want to open a new thread ....so I put my question here.Does anyone know the specs (spring rate) of the OEM leaf springs????.......I did a search.......but nothing!! :? :?

Depends on whether you have the factory heavy duty leaves or not. I can dig up the specs on both tomorrow if need be.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby stefanos on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks Fraz!!!....both if you can. I want to see what's going on because I want to purchase coils.
stefanos

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:49 am

Might be worth seeing what the spring rate is on the challenger (factory coils) and also what rate are their "upgraded" coils for the challenger
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby stefanos on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:52 am

I have found some aftermarket leaf springs rates,and coils rates (triton and challenger) but not the OEM to compare .
stefanos

Postby ToeKutter on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:39 pm

My new triton only had a 65ltr fridge, an arb roller floor draw and a battery pack and the standard rear leaf springs were inverted. So i put a set of 300+kg tough dog springs in with the adjustable shocks and it is sweet now. Have put alot more gear in the back now and the leaf springs haven't moved !
ToeKutter

Postby Redneck198033 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Hey ToeKutter or anyone else do you have picks of your leafs, I have the same set 300+ from toughDogs & have found mine to be flat. But I don't have the adjustable shocks.

I have a canopy with inner bracing & Rear bar step. but for 300+ they look way to straight for me.

Also I have a longranger 120Ltr tank.

Should I go back to the dealer that I purchased from or is this normal for a Triton MN rear Leaf.

I will take pics & put them up soon.
Redneck198033

Postby dinos4x4 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 pm

I would be wary of air bags there known to cause chassis failures on duel cabs
dinos4x4

Postby Joe on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:22 pm

dinos4x4 wrote:I would be wary of air bags there known to cause chassis failures on duel cabs

Good advice there ;)
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Kiwimark on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:26 pm

So my triton has done 27k since new. 2013. I am a gardener and carry green waste n gardening tools plus tow a small 400kg trailer. I have been in and out of the dealer with brakes not working/squeaking. They skimmed discs and rotors machined twice but still didn't fix squeak. After moaning and moaning they put heavy duty pads in 4 months ago. Problem solved until 2 weeks ago when brake pedal started vibrating under braking. Same fix at the dealer yesterday. $400 to do brakes again..... I also complained about rear end sag and I was told my springs have been bent flat because again of overloading. Which I obviously disagree with and feel like it's just not up to the job it's advertised to do. Checked all my weigh bridge receipts and fully loaded at my max the ute weighs 2490kg. So I am clearly way under. They have told me only fix is add another spring but this will then Void the warranty as it's not standard suspension. Anyone else have a problem like this? Advice? Be. Be much appreciated.
Kiwimark

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension