Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Re: Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Postby MORTON5000 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Yeah that's the one mate.
MORTON5000

Postby dan.batto on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Those look like some near flat springs!
dan.batto

Postby odie602r on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:26 pm

That's what my stock suspension looks like too after only 12 months and next to no weight in the rear - and why I am picking up my Ultimates tomorrow, then teeing up a time with Tuff Troop to instal them!
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MORTON5000 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Oh f&@k the ute has done a total of 2600klms.
MORTON5000

Postby JamoGLXR on Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Possible cure found: Persistance

I can't remember how many km they have squeeked for but mine have gone quiet again..

I believe I have them bluffed because I just went and bought all the gear I needed to re align them. Or they have moved back/bedded in.

More then Likely they will squeek again in time but I had a good excuse to buy more tools :D
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu May 09, 2013 7:33 pm

They're just lulling you into a false sense of security, mate.

Or maybe they're afraid of what you were planning? :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby peterdeg on Fri May 10, 2013 12:30 pm

I've never noticed mine squeaking. Should I be concerned? ;)

(or have I just jinxed myself?)
Peter
2011 MN GLX-R manual.
Some pics here.
Build thread here.

4WD History: 2004 NP GLS Pajero DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 F100.
peterdeg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tony73 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:32 pm

peterdeg wrote:I've never noticed mine squeaking. Should I be concerned? ;)

(or have I just jinxed myself?)

Hot fix from dealer, they install a silencer kit under warranty!

Never had the problem again with my 2006 ML after they did it, but Im not bothering with the new truck (squeeking already at 900km), Ironman Suspension on its way!
tony73

Postby alanc on Fri May 17, 2013 2:59 am

Spray with lanolin spray, buy in bulk from a boat chandler you get a big container with a spray bottle for the same price as a aerosol. It fixes the squeek also spray everything else it will stop any rust. Note leaf springs rub against each other when flexing - they are made of steel - without lubrication they will sqeek.
Rolls Royce worked this out in the year dot, they encased their leaf springs in leather gaitors and had grease fed to them so you could hear the clock without the squeeks giving you the sh**s.
alanc

Postby Kegsy on Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 am

They squeak because they are out of alignment usually.

Get underneath and give the side of the leafs a hit with a lump hammer to make them all straight and stop them from rubbing on the guides.

Mine squeak everytime after I go offroad. Each time I do this they never squeak until I go offroad again.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lunny on Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Mine has started at 11000k hit them up on the 15000 service
Lunny
Lunny

Postby Jackjf444 on Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey guys. New to the whole forum thing. My mn had a squeaking issue with the leaves. I basically flexed it out and sprayed the extended leaves with a sticky chain lube then flexed the other way and sprayed the other side. Haven't heard anything since. I used chain lube as it is tacky and doesn't wash off or wear off easily. Hope I could help
Jackjf444

Postby schem81 on Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 am

Every now and again when I wash the car- and can be bothered. I get the trolly jack and lift the back of the car up so that the rear tyres are almost off the ground. Gurney out the rear leaf springs then spray them with inox lubricant. Stops them squeaking for quite a while. Do this every time the squeaking gets annoying.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
schem81

Postby Lunny on Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 am

I found a decent fix, keep windows up and radio turned up lol
Lunny
Lunny

Postby Norrie on Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 pm

A few months after installing Dobinson leaf's mine were squeaking so I took it back to TJM. They put it on a hoist and I was there while they searched for the problem. Like Kegsy said it was that the leaf had got out of alignment and the fix was a hit with a hammer and re-tightening of the u bolts. Problem fixed straight away.
Norrie

Postby tondo12 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:58 pm

My MN was squeaking got it fixed during a service, and now its back and getting even worse, Its under warranty so im going to make them fix it again. I dont want this to be a recurring issue, is there a certain fix to this which will make it stop.
tondo12

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Jackjf444 wrote:Hey guys. New to the whole forum thing. My mn had a squeaking issue with the leaves. I basically flexed it out and sprayed the extended leaves with a sticky chain lube then flexed the other way and sprayed the other side. Haven't heard anything since. I used chain lube as it is tacky and doesn't wash off or wear off easily. Hope I could help

SoupyCheep sell a spraycan product called LanoTec-HD (Heavy Duty) for a few bucks which is -very- waterproof and also sticks like 'shite' to a baby's blanket ;) It certainly stops annoying rear spring squeaks.... :D
As already mentioned by 'Norrie' though, it might pay to eye-ball your spring leaves first for correct alignment and U-bolt tightness.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:12 pm

tondo12 wrote: is there a certain fix to this which will make it stop.

No.

None of the spray lubricants (including Lanotec as promoted by our resident Soupycheap advertising executive :P ) is a permanent fix. The leaves move out of alignment with flexing and then rub, making the resultant squeak. A regular smack with a club hammer works and a bit of lube helps, but it comes back. Factory or aftermarket leaves are all the same.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:45 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
tondo12 wrote: is there a certain fix to this which will make it stop.

No.

None of the spray lubricants (including Lanotec as promoted by our resident Soupycheap advertising executive :P ) is a permanent fix. The leaves move out of alignment with flexing and then rub, making the resultant squeak. A regular smack with a club hammer works and a bit of lube helps, but it comes back. Factory or aftermarket leaves are all the same.

5th just caused me to had a 'thort'...! Yeah, I know, that's bluddy dangerous... ;) ;) But, what about using some suitably sized -U-Bolts- (shackles) used -over- the springs and positioned towards each of the -ends- of the leaves, to tie them all together, and hence, stop them from twisting -sideways- out of correct alignment....? I've seen many a truck's rear suspension set up with this exact sort of configuration, obviously to overcome the exact same sort of 'squeaky' problem... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:05 am

Found the source of the squeak on my new MN leaf springs. The brackets that wraps around the springs towards the front of the vehicle. Easy find the handbrake cable is attached to it. Gave them a good spray with a home made mix of kero and Linseed oil. The thicker mix lasts unlike cans like WD. You can reach the bracket its just behind the front of the back wheels. No need to climb under. :D

I did all the wrap around brackets just to be sure,,,, Problem gone....
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:39 pm

leonbee wrote:Found the source of the squeak on my new MN leaf springs. The brackets that wraps around the springs towards the front of the vehicle. Easy find the handbrake cable is attached to it. Gave them a good spray with a home made mix of kero and Linseed oil. The thicker mix lasts unlike cans like WD. You can reach the bracket its just behind the front of the back wheels. No need to climb under. :D

I did all the wrap around brackets just to be sure,,,, Problem gone....

A few months passed and still no squeaks. Linseed oil dries sticky and water proof. Just spray all shekels with a spray bottle mix of kero and linseed oil. kero is just to thin the linseed so it will spray in a bottle and penetrate through the shakels.

cheers :D
leonbee

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

Shackle, mate.

I hope the cure lasts, but I'd put money on it not. Get it dry and dusty and the squeak will be back. :(
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby steveo on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:00 pm

I brought up the squeaking rear end at my last service (30k) and when I picked it up they said they had ordered a "Spring Silencer Kit". Took it back a few weeks later and they fitted what looks like a white plastic type material between the springs and the brackets holding it together. Didn't look like much but so far no squeaks :mrgreen:
steveo

Postby Doc on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38 am

steveo wrote:I brought up the squeaking rear end at my last service (30k) and when I picked it up they said they had ordered a "Spring Silencer Kit". Took it back a few weeks later and they fitted what looks like a white plastic type material between the springs and the brackets holding it together. Didn't look like much but so far no squeaks :mrgreen:

Stevo - we had that fitted around 20,000 klms and then drove to Cape York and back. 75,000 klms later still no reappearance of the squeaking so hopefully yours will serve you likewise.
Some say the glass is half full...
Some say the glass is half empty..
I say “Are you gonna drink that?
Doc

Postby AD07 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 am

Doc wrote:
steveo wrote:I brought up the squeaking rear end at my last service (30k) and when I picked it up they said they had ordered a "Spring Silencer Kit". Took it back a few weeks later and they fitted what looks like a white plastic type material between the springs and the brackets holding it together. Didn't look like much but so far no squeaks :mrgreen:

Stevo - we had that fitted around 20,000 klms and then drove to Cape York and back. 75,000 klms later still no reappearance of the squeaking so hopefully yours will serve you likewise.

Did they charge you for the kit....or is it looked at as a warranty item..?????
AD07

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension