Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Re: Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Postby sam on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 pm

If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try to explain what I did as have not had a sqeek out of them since I did mine ;)
sam

Postby Homer on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:17 am

sam wrote:If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try to explain what I did as have not had a sqeek out of them since I did mine ;)

Yeah but I heard doing what you did buggers the diff and makes them whine Sam... :P :mrgreen:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby biggibbo on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:32 am

My MN has just started to squeak, Has 5000km and was delivered on 30th July staright off the boat. Doesn't look like they have fixed the prob. Time to buy some lunatic.
biggibbo

Postby sam on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:08 am

Homer wrote:
sam wrote:If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try to explain what I did as have not had a sqeek out of them since I did mine ;)

Yeah but I heard doing what you did buggers the diff and makes them whine Sam... :P :mrgreen:

Thanks maaaaaate we can always rely on you for moral support can't we ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
sam

Postby Grumpy on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Hey Hey - got my new springs fitted by dealer last Friday. After 2.5 years of me grizzling, the sounds of silence is deafening. Still a small squeak there but sounds like shocker rubber or so. Suppose I have to be happy now - not Grumpy!!
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes...Grumpy
Grumpy

Postby ironhide on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Just spray a little inox every 6 mnths and never hear a thing again! :D works a treat, and you dont have to stress yourself or the dealer out!!! Its what a real man calls servicing! or detailing to your own requirements. :lol:
ironhide

Postby Homer on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:34 am

I was at Aranda tow bars on Compton Rd at Woodridge the other morning and the bloke there said the cause is all in the front spring hanger area - as it is with a few other makes.

I think he may know what he was talking about as he had a 4" lifted Pootrol (that he is lifting higher)fitted with all the custom bits...was helping his mate with a lift into his '06 pajero and I found him (and his mate) underneath Snowflake checking out the sliders and babbling to each other and pointing at things by the time I walked around from the drivers side after parking it in the shop...he was bloody quick!

He climbed out from underneath and just offered the spring squeak info without being asked so sounds like he might know a bit about it....
He even told me what to do to fix it properly and for good but I was in too much of a hurry to take it in :oops: plus it doesn't bother me much....

I guess I should go back and find out :oops:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Grumpy on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 am

Hey Hey -- new "anti-squeak" springs installed at dealer last Friday (as part of warranty). Sound OK so far. This is after 2.5 years of me bitching about it. Can't be Grumpy anymore..... :)
Grumpy

Postby Grumpy on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 pm

New (anti-squeak???) springs installed 3/9/10. A little quieter, but no cigar. Still squeaks like a drowning rat over rough sections (particularly speed humps). Back to Dealer today - they scratching their heads and will open another "case" (does my heart good [?]). Shit how much longer can this go on. I know many of you said to use Lantec BUT its Mitsu problem and they have accepted that. I will keep trying.....Grumpier than ever.
Grumpy

Postby destorman on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Just over 4000 km on the clock and yep, got the dreaded squeak too ...

Grumpy, keep us posted ... please?

In the meantime, looks like lunatic for me too.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Grumpy on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Hey Homer - would love to know what your mate at Aranda tow bars did to fix it properly (and I assume permanently). Would do my poor old heart good to tell Mitsubishi HOW to fix it. If I do find out, boy will I ever tell them.
Grumpy

Postby Big Brad on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Homer wrote:I was at Aranda tow bars on Compton Rd at Woodridge the other morning and the bloke there said the cause is all in the front spring hanger area - as it is with a few other makes.

Totally correct Homer

Mine is definatly the front hanger that is squeaking so shall drop in on him and get the good advice on it.

Thanks

Brad
The next statement is True - The first statement is False
Big Brad

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:45 pm

I went in today and spoke to the guy that was doing his Paj lift.
The other bloke was out doing on site installs. He took my number and he is supposed to ring me...

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fridgie on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:44 pm

completely caked in mud and abused all weekend but not a pip out of the ultimate gear, seems like mine has been cured 8-) :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby destorman on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 am

At the stealer today and discussed this with the service manager ... he mentioned a 'whole new spring / suspension' setup is due "any day" as the warranty fix by Misti... so, he wants to get that onto mine as soon as it arrives.
destorman

Postby Grumpy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:40 pm

Got the new unsqueakable springs put in last week. Still squeaks. Took it to dealer today so they can "have another go" and mentioned that most Triton owners claim its the front hangers. Got it back - no difference whatsoever. Mitsu Adl discussing with our little yellow friends if they can authorise and pay for an external fix. No wonder a bloke is GRUMPY. :x :x :x
Grumpy

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:45 pm

My new aftermarket springs squeaked after a while too. It's not the springs so much as the front spring bushing (which is original).
I gave it a squirt of Inox mx-5 pfte spray which quietened it down completely.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Convert to coil suspension - none of the euro vans/cab chassis squeak!

Back on topic - I found the red eurathane bushes I fitted to my old Rocky years ago tightened up the ride and got rid of any noises from the springs.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby destorman on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:28 am

Grumpy wrote:Got the new unsqueakable springs put in last week. Still squeaks. Took it to dealer today so they can "have another go" and mentioned that most Triton owners claim its the front hangers. Got it back - no difference whatsoever. Mitsu Adl discussing with our little yellow friends if they can authorise and pay for an external fix. No wonder a bloke is GRUMPY. :x :x :x

Thanks for the update ...

So this is not the ones they put in for you are the start of Sept? Another set since then and still squeaks?

If so, did they change the bushes and front hangars? Or, only changed the springs again?
destorman

Postby Grumpy on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:51 am

Not too sure on that Destorman - will find out. BUT I did tell dealer that most believe the issue is in the front hangers. AND when I get it back its no different. Tells me I am dealing with a bunch of morons! ....GRUMPier than ever!
Grumpy

Postby sam on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08 am

Geeeeez mine still don't sqeeeeeeeek ;) and the fix was so friggen easy even the mmal tech bloke was very impressed when I took him for a drive around our property boundary :roll: :lol:
sam

Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Postby Brett05 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:05 am

sam wrote:Geeeeez mine still don't sqeeeeeeeek ;) and the fix was so friggen easy even the mmal tech bloke was very impressed when I took him for a drive around our property boundary :roll: :lol:

hey sam, care to share your secret cure. I haven't had any hint of squeaking since the 2" Ironman lift went in. Been through plenty of mud, sand and water....nothing yet.... touch wood
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby destorman on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Sam, what's the trick?
destorman

Postby sam on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Ok sorry it has taken a while but was not worth trying to explain it all as a pic paints a thousand words so
they say so had to put the ute on the hoist to go through the process of what to do . ;)
You may need to click on pics :?

1st pic is of a set of original spring so you can see how they tend to be pulled in at the top.
Click to view larger picture
First thing to do is remove original bolt and get a 8mm bolt with a big washer and srew into u clamp.
You will also need a very strong clamp like the unbreakable I've used a clamp the spring pack tightly together.
this is so the bracket bends at the bend if that makes sense ;)
Then just get a lever and bend the bracket out until it looks straight .
When you do the other side you will need a 8mm nut as the bracket is only tapped 1 side .
When finished make sure you have 76 to 77 mm width at the top of the bracket.
If it's a bit more don't stress as it can be pulled in with the bolt
The H/T bolts I got are 100mm against the orig of 86mm

Simply put the bolts in and do up until snug or until you have the correct measurement.
It should look like this..... ;)

Ours has a Very slight sqeek at rest if you push on the tray but you can't hear a thing when going and as said before the tech bloke couldn't believe how simple it was to do . ;)

Hope this helps

sam
sam

Postby Grumpy on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:24 pm

Destorman - yes they changed the hangers.
TODAY I had a regional service manager take a look at the Triton. I removed EVERYTHING from the tub, leaving only the tub liner and canopy. Removed all from the back of the rear seat - all to eliminate any possibility of rattles/squeaks. Also removed D-shackles on tow bar. Took Regional fellow and the head service guy from Knox Mitsubishi around the speed humps in local shopping centre.
Since the initial change of springs (and me attending dealer many times), things have been slowly getting less noisy BUT it was still there a little. After running the speed humps, some noise was still evident. Triton up on hoist, push, pull, prod the rear suspension and other bits and, lo and behold, squeaks ..........coming from...........SPARE F**KIN WHEEL.
Seems the chain hangers are not strong enough (nor is the sectional operating pole/brace) to get the hanger mechanism tight enough to actually STOP all squeaking from the tyre as it rests under a cross brace of the chassis. Its really the design of the spare wheel mounting mechanism that is just not good enough to stop all wheel movement.
Now, having said that, I am "reservedly" saying that was the issue, as I am not entirely convinced yet. Some more work to go (pad between the cross brace and the spare wheel), etc, etc.
Grumpy

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension