Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Postby steve1961 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Squeaking rears
I have had the retrofit from mits ... and they still squeak like hell .... now from the front mount ... i installed greasable rears with the extended shackles and no more squeaks ... but the front mount still does ... does anyone know if somebody makes a greasable front bolt ?
i HATEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! squeaks ... its like fingers down a chalk board
steve1961

Re: Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Postby CCM on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:41 am

I know it won't last forever but I coated the entire set of rear leafs with high pressure spray on grease from Wurth when the car was less than a 1000kms old when the noise first started! 15,000KM on and its still quiet as a mouse! And not the squeeking kind :)

Its done most of those KM's on the road but it does include a few excursions through nearby Lithgow state forst and 2 days of stupidity digging myself in and out of mud and water in an old quary!

I know its not foolproof but I've avoided the noises coming back so far and I can deal with the coating every 15 thou if thats what it takes :?
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby marashkar on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 am

my mn started to squeak car 6 weeks old so do i let stupidishi try to fix it ? how hard can it be? so i climb under it on mine the noise was comming from the front pin not the spring pack so drop the pin out coat the sides of the rubber bush with old man emu suspension grease put it back together instant quiet will see how it goes. without telling these morons how to build cars perhaps they should look at a landcruiser spring pin to see how it should be built. steve
marashkar

Postby Pepo Castro on Sat May 08, 2010 3:01 am

marashkar wrote:my mn started to squeak car 6 weeks old so do i let stupidishi try to fix it ? how hard can it be? so i climb under it on mine the noise was comming from the front pin not the spring pack so drop the pin out coat the sides of the rubber bush with old man emu suspension grease put it back together instant quiet will see how it goes. without telling these morons how to build cars perhaps they should look at a landcruiser spring pin to see how it should be built. steve

squeaking on the rear leaf spring with just 3000+ kms run. my brother brought to the dealership & they removed the brackets, will this affect the rear leaf spring integrity?
Pepo Castro

Postby bobtriton on Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Same problem here, but just in rear. I solve it turning up the music 8-)
bobtriton

Postby acresgreg on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Its not just the standard suspension that squeaks, my top shelf way too stiff Australian owned and made Lovells springs squeak as well.

Greg
acresgreg

Postby trytin on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:28 pm

I got 2 x new MN for guys at work. A 2WD and a 4WD. both have been fitted with Mitso heavy duty rear spring upgrade packs and both squeak and I mean 10 times louder than my ML did.
trytin

Postby jacky_moo on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:10 am

i have the 'silencer kit' fitted from mitsu that has reduced it but not gotten rid of it... i will admit i fix it by turning up the stereo but from what i can see the leaf's have actually rubbed together for long enough to be at raw steel so the silencer kit has only minimised the effect...

I think mitsu should be replacing the leaf's and then installing a silencer kit on the new ones...
jacky_moo

Postby clarke-glxr on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:58 pm

couldn't you just buy some rear leafs for the suspension?? different brand ofcourse, im thinking of doing that. sounds good??
If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that!
clarke-glxr

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:25 pm

clarke-glxr wrote:couldn't you just buy some rear leafs for the suspension?? different brand ofcourse, im thinking of doing that. sounds good??

ive got the Dobbies, and they squeak. Lanotec people. my kids call it 'lunatic'

"have you put any lunatic on the springs dad?" :lol:

you get a few months between squirts.....
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Grumpy on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:23 pm

My ML 2007 Triton DID has had squeaky rear suspension since one month old(now 2yrs10mths). Multiple visits to dealer only saw greasing and eventually replacement of springs, all to no avail. Challenged Mits thru Customer Relations in Adelaide, I wanted springs to be replaced by after market (Old Man Emu, etc) at their cost. Mits refused to pay so I threatened them with Small Claims Tribunal on the basis that Mits claims huge warranties (5&10yrs) which are worth nothing if they cannot fix their own machines. Latest word from Mits is that the "production" fix has been implemented (to me means they know what is wrong with the springs) and they are currently working on a "field" fix to retrofit existing Tritons. Update to come to me 21Jun2010. :evil:
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes...Grumpy
Grumpy

Postby Homer on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:03 am

Mate they're all squeaking with aftermarket springs too. Just use Lunatic or something - it's no big deal.

BTW a few other dual cabs complain of it as well.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Grumpy on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Mits tell me the issue has been fixed on production vehicles coming off the line now. New springs (without the squeak) will be in Mits dealers by end July this year. Add a month or two and we shall see. By the way its a warranty item.
Grumpy

Postby destorman on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:51 am

Grumpy wrote:Mits tell me the issue has been fixed on production vehicles coming off the line now. New springs (without the squeak) will be in Mits dealers by end July this year. Add a month or two and we shall see. By the way its a warranty item.

Thanks for the update.

No squeek for us (as yet) only 800km on the clock though!
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:21 am

you just wait destorman youll get it :lol: :twisted:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby lazarus on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:23 pm

I can confirm that "lunatic" (lantec) works good.

Bought heavy duty one a week ago (in super cheap), used nearly whole spray can on springs and went for a drive straight away (important to do this coz lantec will harden a bit after couple hours and will not get in some tight places if you just leave it without driving your car for a bit straight away or at least rocking it side to side)

No sounds yet from a springs.
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby salt36 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:48 pm

I notice after a couple of months or so the ride stiffens slightly and cure this by jacking the body so one rear wheel just leaves the ground. Then I have adapted a grease nipple with a narrow tube to insert grease on the top of the plastic spacers between the spring leaves. To pry the leaves apart I use two screwdrivers, one large so it holds the leaves apart while I insert the grease. Repeat for other side.
While I am doing this I grease the brackets which cause some of the squeaking. :D

Downside is I need to repeat every couple of months or so
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby mobile2 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Grumpy wrote:Mits tell me the issue has been fixed on production vehicles coming off the line now. New springs (without the squeak) will be in Mits dealers by end July this year. Add a month or two and we shall see. By the way its a warranty item.

Interesting that it's taken 4 years to fix! My permanent fix on the ML was new aftermarket springs. Original leaves were reset higher to match aftermarket front coils, but then one leaf broke, but prior to that still squeaked like mad. Lanotec was my friend too. Now have Lovell's on the rear to match the front and no more noise.
mobile2

Postby al coholic on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:00 pm

How long have you had the new lovell leaf springs in mate??? If its only recent.............odds on they will squek in time. :roll: I have aftermarket springs, they squek like the OEM ones.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby sam on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:22 pm

I have fixed mine and so far not a noise from them so fingers crossed they stay that way :o :D
sam

Postby kevin on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Hey Grumpy (per my PM)

Can you tell me if the fix applies to both MN as well as ML? I can understand if they say the fix is to supply MN springs for an ML but the MN still squeak! Any chance of getting some confirmation and/or a tech service bulletin number?

Thanks
Kevin

My dealer checked and nothing shows up for MN rereplacement springs.
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby Grumpy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Sorry people - Mitsubishi Adelaide contacted me today saying those NEW (hopefully anti-squeak) springs now available mid August 2010. They had told me end July so....as expected.... time frame is extended. BUT I did remember to confirm they were talking about this year. Discussed "Kevin" question on whether it applies to MN - response was (as expected) that squeaky springs is a warranty claim so thus model is irrelevant. Good luck - go get 'em.
Grumpy

Postby Diddy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 pm

i dont have any issues with squeeky springs before or after my susp upgrade i guess im one of the lucky ones .but i if i did have them i would giving them a good coat of wurth spay grease
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby bobtriton on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:27 am

Just find a solution, well not me but Slimv6 with it´s new set of heders, you´ll heard a squeeky no more. 8-) ;)
bobtriton

Postby Grumpy on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Some good news - new springs in Oz now and is a new part number. My ML booked in for Friday 3/9 to be fitted. Some progress - but not all over till the fat lady sings (or stops squeaking).......Grumpy
Grumpy

Next

Return to Suspension