Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Re: Squeaking rears ?? is there a cure ??

Postby biggibbo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:35 am

Grumpy wrote:Destorman - yes they changed the hangers.
TODAY I had a regional service manager take a look at the Triton. I removed EVERYTHING from the tub, leaving only the tub liner and canopy. Removed all from the back of the rear seat - all to eliminate any possibility of rattles/squeaks. Also removed D-shackles on tow bar. Took Regional fellow and the head service guy from Knox Mitsubishi around the speed humps in local shopping centre.
Since the initial change of springs (and me attending dealer many times), things have been slowly getting less noisy BUT it was still there a little. After running the speed humps, some noise was still evident. Triton up on hoist, push, pull, prod the rear suspension and other bits and, lo and behold, squeaks ..........coming from...........SPARE F**KIN WHEEL.
Seems the chain hangers are not strong enough (nor is the sectional operating pole/brace) to get the hanger mechanism tight enough to actually STOP all squeaking from the tyre as it rests under a cross brace of the chassis. Its really the design of the spare wheel mounting mechanism that is just not good enough to stop all wheel movement.
Now, having said that, I am "reservedly" saying that was the issue, as I am not entirely convinced yet. Some more work to go (pad between the cross brace and the spare wheel), etc, etc.

Funny you say that. I sprayed the suspension on mine with Lunatic but it was still squeaking. I noticed the spare had some slight movement a few weeks ago and tightened it up and now I think about it, it has quitened down significantly. Might try some rubber mat above spare and see if this is the squeak that is still there. Good tip buddy. No wonder Mitsu keep telling me I have the quite spring set and can't understand why it hasn't been sorted :lol: .
biggibbo

Postby matt1988 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Homer wrote:Mate they're all squeaking with aftermarket springs too. Just use Lunatic or something - it's no big deal.

BTW a few other dual cabs complain of it as well.

Mine are squeaking to, don't know haw loud others are. Mine squeak if you rock the back of the car. Is that what other people are experiencing?
matt1988

Postby Lark68 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 pm

You'll know about the squeak when you get it. Mostly from heads turning to face you as it does tend to attract a bit of attention. Just open the back window and you'll hear it when you hit a few bumps in the road.

Had my springs reset when I had it in at about 7K to get the ARB rear bar put on (back order through the stealer) and again last week for its 15K service. They just told me that they repacked them again and Mits know about it but don't have a complete cure. They say it's dirt getting in and were interested to know how long the last "cure" lasted for before it started doing it again. Asked if I'd done any offroading as this naturally tends to get more dirt and grit on the springs that works itself in between the leafs.
MN GLXR
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.
Lark68

Postby Bad Kitty on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:56 am

Interesting reading through this, for my ML is the so called quiet springs and it started the squeak about 500km in when I drove it to QLD on it's run in. Thought it was a bit strange and mentioned it to the dopes in the service department, who shrugged saying that'd not had that problem before... Um excuse me but BULLSH*T. Mentioned that I had read about it on this thread and the best the service manager came back with was "aren't you getting after market products from ARB anyway?" WTF!!

But interestingly after I'd done the ARB work, it still sqeaks annoyingly (like that FRIGGING baby magpie outside my bedroom window every morning ARGHHHH) So like others just turn the radio up louder to drown it out. I'm not so sure that the Mitsushitty service department know what they're doing down here to be honest. Like with the dislocated manual shift I was telling you about, 1 blockhead said he'd seen it before and then the service manager said they hadn't :roll:

Oh well, like with the sqealing brakes I have now, it can all sqealing away in unison!! I figure this is a work truck not an urban soccer mum's show pony... Guess it goes with the territory.

Might give the lunatic a go though and see if it helps. ;)
Bad Kitty

Postby fridgie on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:51 pm

My ultimate setup hasn't squeaked yet, it's my fix so far ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby matt1988 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Bad Kitty wrote:Interesting reading through this, for my ML is the so called quiet springs and it started the squeak about 500km in when I drove it to QLD on it's run in. Thought it was a bit strange and mentioned it to the dopes in the service department, who shrugged saying that'd not had that problem before... Um excuse me but BULLSH*T. Mentioned that I had read about it on this thread and the best the service manager came back with was "aren't you getting after market products from ARB anyway?" WTF!!

But interestingly after I'd done the ARB work, it still sqeaks annoyingly (like that FRIGGING baby magpie outside my bedroom window every morning ARGHHHH) So like others just turn the radio up louder to drown it out. I'm not so sure that the Mitsushitty service department know what they're doing down here to be honest. Like with the dislocated manual shift I was telling you about, 1 blockhead said he'd seen it before and then the service manager said they hadn't :roll:

Oh well, like with the sqealing brakes I have now, it can all sqealing away in unison!! I figure this is a work truck not an urban soccer mum's show pony... Guess it goes with the territory.

Might give the lunatic a go though and see if it helps. ;)

Whatever problem you end up having with your truck they will always say that It is the only one that has ever had that problem or that they have never heard of that before. That's what they did with mine with the rattly stearing column.
matt1988

Postby Rambo on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:09 am

Has anyone been able to get part # or hot fix #. Local dealer has not heard of replacement springs being available. thanks Peter.
Rambo

Postby joshua.alexander on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:16 am

mine started squeaking at 2000kms its annoying and loud but, my car is a ute , i really cant see how can affect anything, i dont see it hurting the suspension, i remember my pajero started squeaking when i put the lift kit in, also hiluxs are known to squeak, my real only solution is get an alloy tray, the rattling sound of an alloy tray will take over the noise of squeaking suspension/rubbers XD
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 am

After only 2000km with my Ultimate springs, I have the squeak back again, this time on the left rather than the right. I reckon that a squeak means that things that should be lubricated are not and ultimately that means wear. I will be spraying on copious amounts of lubricant which seems to be the only solution. Pity I didn't get some of Storm Trooper's solution while we were at Merricumbene :twisted: :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby joshua.alexander on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:51 am

lubricating is a good idea i used to do it but it doesnt last long, i really think its a standard thing with leaf suspension (unfortinatly annoying), i found out leafs, bushes and rubbers squeak because they have water/moisture inside and it cant get back out, my father said with a hilux, when its hot they a dry, no squeak, before and after rain they squeak
Sources: Father and Tyre fitter (mate)

My only solution is to get a rattly alloy tray, if not and the suspension does not last a good 60,000kms, i wont be happy but i really cant see any thing going wrong, some people, (including me) worry about nothing (especially me) haha XD
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 am

I find lifting the car off the ground and getting the springs to sag and spray lunatic in there is the best option. I did this recently to my ironman suspension and it worked. My brother has just driven the car to Melbourne in a lot of rain so i am interested to see if the squeak has returned......

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby sam on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:01 am

Mine have started to squeeeeeeekk from the front now so along with the diff and a few other issues I'm becoming rather disillusioned with it . :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:
sam

Postby trouble on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:53 am

fridgie wrote:My ultimate setup hasn't squeaked yet, it's my fix so far ;)

my Ultimate set up squeeks like made, I just sprayed some silicone spray on em and it stopped for now
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:36 am

trouble wrote:

my Ultimate set up squeeks like made, I just sprayed some silicone spray on em and it stopped for now

x2 re the squeak :( Guess I need some lube.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby borngeek on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:43 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:
trouble wrote:

x2 re the squeak :( Guess I need some lube.

dont worry Alco carries the lube with him at all times... :lol:

//mine squeak like crazy especially after sand :twisted: no 'cure' just live with it or as kitty says turn the volume up! :roll:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Diddy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Mine don't and they never did with the stock leafs either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby trouble on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:15 pm

DiD you have a really good 4by there why on earth do you want to get rid of it, nothing ever goes wrong with it and you treat it like S@#t.......................how?????
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Big Brad on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:18 pm

As mine is out of wty at 141k I took into a local suspension guy.

He laid under it while I rocked it for him to listen to.

He then threw it up on the hoist and slightly bent out the front U bolt hangers halfway along the front of the springs as this is where it had obviously been rubbing which you could clearly see once on the hoist.The ones that keep the leaves in line.

Took it off the hoist and never had the squeak again even after doing a 2 week stint in the sand at Moreton Island.

Cost me a whopping $ 40.00.

Happy as :D :D

Brad
The next statement is True - The first statement is False
Big Brad

Postby Diddy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 pm

trouble wrote:DiD you have a really good 4by there why on earth do you want to get rid of it, nothing ever goes wrong with it and you treat it like S@#t.......................how?????

That's the trick to having a good vehicle brad I've flogged it since day 1 and never had any of the dramas that some of u blokes suffered with. so just treat it like u stole it and never worry about the outcome and it will love u back cos it knows it's in for 1 he'll of hard time if it let's u down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Mattstruck on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:56 pm

I would just like to add that I have an MY11 MN and it started squeaking at about 600kms. So this claim by Mits about new cars fitted with "änti Squeak" springs is rubbish!! Im off to the dealers! :roll:
Mattstruck

Postby joshua.alexander on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Mine Started squeaking after 2 weeks of ownership, i just turn the music up loud to pretend the sound is not there :lol:
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Think of how you much love driving through rain forests and listening to the bellbirds, this new feature by mitsi is special, cherish it. :D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby BEN115 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:26 pm

hmmmm, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my tough dog springs have just started squeeking on my 3000k old MN, springs have been on since 150km. im gonna go try the lanolin option tonight, fingers crossed
BEN115

Postby santaclews on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey Guys My 09 ML is booked in on the 3/2/11 to have the rear springs replaced under warranty, Sound like Mitsu maybe finally trying to fix the squeeks
santaclews

Postby steve1961 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:45 pm

santaclews wrote:Hey Guys My 09 ML is booked in on the 3/2/11 to have the rear springs replaced under warranty, Sound like Mitsu maybe finally trying to fix the squeeks

They have been trying / bullshitting since 2008 .... dont count on it ... just learn to live with it .... and all other makes are just as bad ... amazing we can send men to the moon and probes to mars ... but cant stop a squeak thats been around since the creation of the motor vehicle
steve1961

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension