Ride Heights

Re: Ride Heights

Postby tcrow on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:29 am

Yeah, I do have flares, Brendan said that it would sit a bit high and could sit on the droop stops (which I have out at the moment) . The plan is to fit a winch in the not to distant future, and would need the heavy springs with all the weight up front.
It does seem high to me too, I did not expect it to come up that much. Before the lift the front was at 520 and the rear was at 550 and 555.
If you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed.
tcrow

Postby tcrow on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 am

You got me thinking Dave, so I went and re-measured. Everything must have settled on the drive home and now at,

FR 597
FL 590
RR 605
RL 605
If you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed.
tcrow

Postby mattz on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 am

tcrow wrote:You got me thinking Dave, so I went and re-measured. Everything must have settled on the drive home and now at,

FR 597
FL 590
RR 605
RL 605

If you fit the winch it'll probably settle even more.
Now you have an excuse to spend some more money. :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:24 am

Yeah that sounds better. Anything over 600 in the front and I start hearing alarm bells.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby shortSteve on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 pm

shortSteve wrote:After 30,000km, the Pedders setup in the front has settled just a lil, fronts now at 560 & 563, rears both at 615, with front winch bar, bash plates, rear protection bar, canopy with racks, draws and maybe 200kg in the back constantly. Should have maybe gone for a lighter rear leaf setup (went heavy instead of medium), but is fantastic when loaded up and towing, if a lil firm when empty.

Update:
Ok, truck now at 80k, Fronts at 545mm, rears at 595mm. Carries a long range tank, 55Lwater tank, Large tradie rack with 2 awnings, fridge and ark pac extra from when last measurements were taken. looks like front springs are starting to sag a bit much, think front struts may be on their way out too, noticing a bit more bounce and roll....Rear tho is a lil more supple, and flattens out nicely when the 200kg downball of camper gets added lol
shortSteve

Postby ultimate on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:38 pm

tcrow wrote:You got me thinking Dave, so I went and re-measured. Everything must have settled on the drive home and now at,

FR 597
FL 590
RR 605
RL 605

Yeah it still is a bit high in the front. With the weight of your current accessories, it should be around the 580-585 mark before the winch.

Do you know if they are factory flares? All of the aftermarket ones I have seen sit higher than factory.

If the suspension was tightened up with the wheels at full droop, it can also hold the vehicle a bit higher. If this is the case, I recommend loosening the control arm bolts and move the vehicle back and forth before retightening.

It will settle more in the next thousand km and be perfect with the winch.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby moses on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Stock 2013 GLXR with nudge bar.
40k km
Toolbox with ~60kg hard up against the tailgate.

FR - 530
FL - 546
RR - 560
RL - 563

Pretty evident my 100kg has sagged the front right haha.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tcrow on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Thanks for the advise.

Yep factory flares for sure, I've had the car since new.

I tried your suggestion with the control arm bolts but did not change anything.
I think though I was measuring to the wrong spot :oops: , I was going from the outside of the flare down to the wheel centre. When I did from underside of flare to wheel centre I get FR 585 and FL 580.
Does that seem more like the correct figures and measurement points.
tcrow

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:02 pm

580mm sounds about right. Depending on springs used.
L200Shogun

Postby mIwoo on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:58 pm

ultimate sussy on 31's
front's 585
rear 635
but i expect this to settle a bit more
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby diver albie on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:56 pm

540 front, 560 rear on standard glxr. Would like to lift a little
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby psaunders on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:00 am

Before Ultimate lift average (I measured every few months since new so I averaged them out)

Passenger side front: 550mm Drivers side front: 541mm
Passenger side rear: 575mm Drivers side rear: 576mm

Post Ultimate lift (note this was not on a perfectly level surface, just the work car park. But they are close enough ;))

Passenger side front: 590mm Drivers side front: 580mm
Passenger side rear: 634mm Drivers side rear: 621mm

All measured with a quarter of a tank of fuel and nothing in the tray and only having done about 250kms since it was fitted. So it still has to settle properly.

Over all roughly a 40mm lift at the front and about 45mm in the rear. Very pleased! 8-)
psaunders

Postby Jimy89 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 am

First time posting. :D
Im running 35mm spacers up front and still waiting for m 2" shackles in the rear.
Also on 20" 33x12.5 muddies

FR 610mm
FL 612mm
RR 608mm
RL 606mm
Jimy89

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:55 pm

Jimy89 wrote:First time posting. :D
Im running 35mm spacers up front and still waiting for m 2" shackles in the rear.

FR 610mm
FL 612mm
RR 608mm
RL 606mm

As long as your happy. The front is higher than the rear? Will even be worse with some weight in the tub.

At 610mm (centre rim to bottom of flair) do you have any space between the droop stop and the control arm? You will have minimal down travel. Will look good in the car park but handling off road will be compromised YMMV
L200Shogun

Postby Jimy89 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:56 am

L200Shogun wrote:
Jimy89 wrote:First time posting. :D

FR 610mm
FL 612mm
RR 608mm
RL 606mm

As long as your happy. The front is higher than the rear? Will even be worse with some weight in the tub.

At 610mm (centre rim to bottom of flair) do you have any space between the droop stop and the control arm? You will have minimal down travel. Will look good in the car park but handling off road will be compromised YMMV

Ive got shackles for the rear coming today to get it higher.
At the moment i don't have a great deal of downward travel, I'm going to do body lift then I'm going to look at the tough dog kit possibly
Jimy89

Postby joshtaylor87 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:47 am

Hey guys,
My 2013 MN GLX Dual Cab is at the suspension shop as we speak. I went with a Blue Max 50mm lift kit purely based on price and convenience (Suspension Supplies Australia are 2 minutes up the road from work). I couldn't find too much info about them on here or Google but the limited info I did find seemed to indicate they weren't too bad. Just had our first baby so funds for the Triton are fairly limited. I would have preferred the tried/tested/highly recommended Ultimate suspension but by the time I had it shipped up here and had someone fit it for me it would easily be over the $2k mark. I managed to talk SSA down to $1645 cash supplied and fitted.

They have a page dedicated to Triton suspension which might be helpful to someone, has a video too.
http://www.ssa.com.au/2inch-liftkit/index.html

Stock Standard Heights Before (Alloy Nudge Bar with 30" LED Light Bar on front and EGR (ABS Plastic) Canopy and Tow Bar on rear since new. Most of the time I drive around empty and don't do any towing)
FR 545mm
FL 550mm
RR 560mm
RL 570mm

Blue Max (Suspension Supplies Australia) Measurements to come later today or tomorrow...

Just picked it up. I asked the guys how much it went up by and they said 35-40mm in the front and 60-70mm in the rear. Based on that it sounds roughly the same sort of figures most are posting on here with Ultimate lifts. Roughly 585mm front and 630mm rear. I will measure it at home on my driveway where I measured my before figures and post the results. From my quick 5 minute drive back to work it already feels much better to drive. Feels a lot more solid on the road and around corners. A lot less body roll and has lost that "spongy" feeling. Don't seem to feel bumps in the road as much either. I have a Manual with the two piece tail shaft and I just barely notice a slight shudder while taking off in first but it's very mild and I'm not worried about it at this early stage. My initial thoughts are I'm very happy with it especially for $1645 fitted. Can't wait 'til 5 o'clock for the 45 minute drive home to test it out some more.
joshtaylor87

Postby joshtaylor87 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Actual measurements are 580mm front and 620mm rear. Very happy with the way it drives on road, am yet to take it off road. Have trips booked for Straddie and Fraser Islands in Sept/Oct this year. Am hoping to do a few local/mainland runs before then to test the new suspension out properly.

Would highly recommend Blue Max Suspension for anyone wanting a decent setup for a fairly budget price.
joshtaylor87

Postby moses on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:17 am

Fl before: 540mm
Fl after: 570mm
Fr before: 535mm
Fr after: 565mm
Rl before: 570mm
Rl after: 645mm
Rr before: 565mm
Rr after: 640mm

Tjm lift done at the same time as bullbar and winch.

Drives much nicer, a bit firm in the rear when theres nothing in the tub but not painfully so, and it was expected.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joel on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:52 am

Thats a big difference between front and back. Might need a stiffer spring to take the extra weight of the bullbar and winch?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby OffRoadDave on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:23 am

Just fitted an Ultimate HD kit yesterday and I forgot to grab starting heights but I've ended up with 610mm at the front and I'm unable to get the droop stops back in, it drives great right up until I hit a reasonable bump and the upper control arms crash into the chassis. Is this likely to drop/settle down or will I be pulling it apart next weekend and putting the stock struts back in?

As it stands I can see the positives of the Ultimate suspension in how it handles, but I'm pretty disappointed that I'm going to have to pull this thing apart again and either send the struts back to Sydney or just get it sorted locally. :(
OffRoadDave

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:42 am

When you are sitting on the droop stops. Hitting a bump (on the road) pushes the wheel upwards. The suspension control arms will move up so the lower bump stop hits the control arm. With those springs I suspect you will not hit the bump stops.
With long/high rated springs fitted your suspension is at full droop. No down travel left (or very little)

Ultimate are usually good at matching spring rates to vehicle weight.
L200Shogun

Postby snowman on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:58 am

OffRoadDave wrote:Just fitted an Ultimate HD kit yesterday and I forgot to grab starting heights but I've ended up with 610mm at the front and I'm unable to get the droop stops back in, it drives great right up until I hit a reasonable bump and the upper control arms crash into the chassis. Is this likely to drop/settle down or will I be pulling it apart next weekend and putting the stock struts back in?

As it stands I can see the positives of the Ultimate suspension in how it handles, but I'm pretty disappointed that I'm going to have to pull this thing apart again and either send the struts back to Sydney or just get it sorted locally. :(

you cant keep it like that. so assuming it is installed correctly, it needs to change. i am hearing you did not measure corner weights? this would be unheard of at Ultimate. so not sure how that happened.

you can't go to ultimate without them measuring your weights. it is like an old school doctor taking your blood pressure. :lol:

PM or contact Brendan about it. you can't drive like that. not only do you need the bump stops in you need some space between them. you will need to be closer to 580mm.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby OffRoadDave on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:41 am

No I did not measure corner weights, had Brendan informed me I needed to do this I would have, telling him a bar and winch with wire rope, and 200kg constant load on the rear of a dual cab MN I guess is not enough information although he assured me it was. :roll:
OffRoadDave

Postby snakesoup on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:07 pm

have you got spring seat spacer collars fitted?, they are a 10 mm steel ring that sits under the spring seat, if so you may get away with taking them off and by time it settles a little it may well work out, as stated 610 is too high, stick your head in there and see if you have them mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby OffRoadDave on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:38 pm

I'll have to take another look at the struts snake but I don't think there are any spacers, they were pre built by Ultimate so to be honest I didn't look too closely, in Ultimate's defence I am really liking the handling now, just wish it didn't top out on the stops on the larger bumps, will get on to Brendan in the morning and see what we can work out.
OffRoadDave

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension