iron man lift and 285's

Postby ML-VR08 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:15 am

Hmmm i better order mine then...and get it fitted on monday!
ML-VR08

Postby Eelesy on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:55 am

285/75/16
I would be getting them done sooner, but im off to collie tomorrow for triple Js one night stand. wont be back till monday.
silver, you will no doubt get a bit of shudder once you install the kit, rick says it dies down a bit after a little while, but ironman told me they are happy to pay the costs of swapping it back untill they can find a suitable way to eliminate the vibration.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby GLX-RSilver on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:39 am

Hey Tritonasaurus i still think it's the triton tailshaft design causing the problem not the lift as what i can see the triton slip joint on the tailshaft is only from the rear of the gearbox and flex in the centre bearing bush., as i had a old valiant years ago which i place a 4 speed in and the spline wasn't in deep enough into the back of the gearbox causing a bad vibration. When i fit mind i'm going to try castor wedges as well as a tailshaft spacer to see what happens.
I'm going to disconnect the tailshaft, then install the lift, then refit the tailshft seeing if there is any gap between the diff and the tailshaft and make a spacer if needed. Cheers

GLX-RSilver

Postby Magilla on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:45 am

Saurus, the J's one night stand, lucky bugger
Magilla

Postby jan.dup on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:56 am

For interest sake:
Why do you guys go for the Ironman suspension and not the Old Man Emu? Is it mainly price ? (OME more expensive than Ironman) I paid R 14084.00 (South African Rands) for the OME constant load upfront and the medium load back. That amounts to 1973.43 Aus Dollar. I just phoned for the price on the Ironman kit - It goes for R 9820.00 - 1375.96 Aus Dollar. Seems a lot more than you pay for the Ironman over there. The prices above includes fitment.
jan.dup

Postby zulujack on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:21 pm

The OME kit as I understand only gives you about 10-20mm lift in front. They are made here in Australia, and would naturally be cheaper for us. I suppose the Ironman price is determined by market factors - how mutch people are prepares to pay VS products from the competition.

I'm very happy with the iron man suspension so far. I paid $800 for mine, but got the the best shocks they offer + greasable shackles. I have not had any tail shaft vibrations, but that could be because I'm not running a double cab?
zulujack

Postby jan.dup on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks zulujack.
The fitment centre that I use claim that the OME would give you a 40mm lift all round. The actual lift I got was 35mm front and 40mm back. The OME's I fitted includes front and rear shocks, coils up front, leaf springs at the rear, U-bolts as well as greasable shackles.
I wonder seeing the comments above - I also have a light shudder with the OME lift - so I think its not neccesserily the suspension design (because it happens with all makes of suspension lift kits ???), that's causing the shudder, but the design of the Triton does not compensate for much of a lift ???
jan.dup

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Just ordered my Ironman Suspension Lift...$1200 fitted...but im going to talk them down to $1000 or $1100...i got the performace package all round! As im not Getting a Bullbar (yet)...i will post pics when its done!
ML-VR08

Postby Hagen on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:13 pm

rick looks good . is your car auto or manual ? once i put the ironman in my truck i got a slight shutter on takeoff. im still trying to find out if it was there to start with or due to the lift i have a problem. ive got 3 deg wedges on diff ,have tried spacing the tailshaft with some sucsess and have also lowered the centre bush but cant shake the vibe. im thinking of lowering mine again to try fix it
Hagen

Postby rick on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:10 am

hi hagen,mine is manual mate,mine has a slight shudder for about 3 seconds on take off only,nothing to woryy about realy anyway.
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby jan.dup on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:10 am

Got this on the 4wdmonthly site (forum): A bloke called Graham D claims he resolved the shudder issue with Mitsu South Aus. This is what he wrote on that forum:

"raise the gear box by 5-8mm my rear shaft was also lengthened by 15mm and you will solve the problem

mitsubishi now know of this as the answer
i have been pushing them since september 07
veem engieering in perth did mine(they are the tailshaft experts over here)
we tried 3 different centre bearings at first with no change
contact mitsubishi customer relations sa and organise it through your local dealer
total cost of my job was $520 paid in full by mitsubishi
i am now very happy with my rig
it was hard work but we eventually broke through
good luck to you all"

Another posting by Graham D reads:
"it appears that most manual turbo diesels have the shudder at standard specs
some people can feel it some can't
some vehicles are also worse than others
if you upgrade the suspension the shudder becomes more accentuated
i have an OME suspension which raised the rear ride height by 25mm
Mitsubishi say the angles of the tailshafts are within the specs however shudder got worse
my above post is what was done to my vehicle to solve the problem
autos don't have shudder because they have a single tailshaft
ring Mitsubishi South Aust customer relations office 1300131211 they helped me out ask for Julie"

The link to the site is:
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=41980&page=4

Hope you guys come right with resolving the shudder issue on your vehicles. Please keep posted on progress made over there. As I'm from South Africa I will give this info to Mitsu SA to see if they will assist us over here in the same manner as in Aus.
jan.dup

Postby Eelesy on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:13 am

New shoes went on today! looks a lot meaner now 8-)

I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:42 am

Looks the goods,
SO they are 285/75/16 tyres right?
Oh and on standard 7" rims.

might have to add a few bags of cement in the back- remember those days 8-)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Eelesy on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:05 am

yea they are 285/75/16's

haha, yea im gonna have to start storing the bags of plaster in the tray instead of my trailer!
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:24 am

F*ck that looks tuff mate...pitty you stole my whole idea, colour lift etc etc...ahaha good one mate very impressive
ML-VR08

Postby subi_man on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:02 am

Looking gooood 'saurus
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-RSilver on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:17 am

Hey there Tritonasaurus your truck looks great which ironman spring rates did you fit?
I picked up my 2"ironman kit today both front and back are constant load. It looks like a great kit and excellent valve for only $750 with greaseable shackles and everything else need. When i install the kit i'll have to try jan.dup suggested fix.
Also i emailed snake racing about their 4 inch lift and they have no vibration problem so they say.
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:26 am

GLX-R,

Just got off the fone to Rhino from snake racing, he said the kit will be available Early August, but they have no idea on price as of yet...will be around the same price as the hilux kit...but if we can try and get a big group together who wants the kit...maybe we can get a discount!

He said it will look unreal and will be a head turner for sure...
ML-VR08

Postby Dirty_Ute on Thu May 01, 2008 12:34 am

I have been equiring around about a suspension upgrade for my ute and these are some information i found.

Mitsubishi said that lifting front more than 20- 25mm is going to cause serios problems for universals in future and won't be covered by warranty.

I have friend that is builder and put constant load ironman kit in. After 6 months the front coils are coil bound and he is replacing them with EFS Suspension.

EFS said they only have 20mm lift for front of triton because of potential problems.

TJM said they have 25 and 35mm lift, 35mm is reccommended for triton with steel bullbar siderails and winch.

Not sure how true this all is but i have seen the coil bound ironmans.

I have gone for 35mm tjm as mine resembles a grader and has dropped 25mm from new with, bullbar, sidrails and winch
Dirty_Ute

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu May 01, 2008 1:43 am

Yer i heard alot of bad stuff about ironman and just cancelled my order for it...so im just sticking with the coil spacers and extended shackles for now
ML-VR08

Postby Eelesy on Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 am

I wont be holding my breath for the snake racing kit, several times i have emailed them starting from around this time last year, every time the answer is that the kit will be available in a few months.

As for the ironman springs apparently shitting themselves in 6 months time??? we will see, but thats why we have this wonderfull thing called warranty! im not gonna lose sleep over it.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby GLX-RSilver on Thu May 01, 2008 9:59 am

I agree with you tritonsaurus if i have problems with my ironman kit they are all covered by a 2 to 3 year warranty in which time most suspension are worn out anyway.
Mind only has to last till snake racing 4 inch lift.
GLX-RSilver

Postby GLX-RSilver on Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 am

ML-VR08 i received a email from snake racing and rhino said the lift kit would be around $3500 for the 4 inch lift and out mid july. i guess we'll wait and see.

I wish i had contacts in thailand as i found a 2.5inch kit which replaces the upper wishbone for the same travel as standard or a 3 inch kit which replaces the lower wishbone.
I'm only after the wishbones and front diff lowering mounts as i can get the rest of the parts here.
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby AC on Thu May 01, 2008 10:43 am

As Tritonasaurus said, Snake Racing have been talking about this 4" kit for a long time... i too emailed them and it was going to be on the market early this year... I suppose it proves they are doing plenty of R&D on it which is a good thing... I also heard about the problems with the Ironman kits,even from suppliers,thats why i went with the Dobinsons Kit... Only time will tell how any of the kits will last... but as GLX-R Silver said by the time the warranties run out its probably time for an upgrade.. Still cant wait to see what the 4" kit looks like........ 8-)
AC

Postby Eelesy on Thu May 01, 2008 2:15 pm

I cant wait for my trip to Thailand!8-)
I'm not dead
Eelesy

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension