MN Vibration between 110 to 130 KPH!

Re: MN Vibration between 110 to 130 KPH!

Postby L200swede on Tue May 08, 2012 2:04 am

Ramo did you find any solution on your problem?? Mine is brand new and i have the same problem

Would be very happy if you answered :D
L200swede

MN Vibration between 110 to 130 KPH!

Postby Brent1 on Tue May 08, 2012 6:59 am

I've got a funny feeling I used to have the same issue with my Commodore at a certain speed for a time too. I can't remember the speed it occurred though
Brent1

Postby L200swede on Sat May 12, 2012 12:30 am

Leaving mine to the dealer on monday, The vibration increases a litle bit for every day now, The worst vibration is around 110
L200swede

Postby triton-2011 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:49 pm

I have a 2011 glxr duel cab AUTO, i have this vibration its odd... at first it was only the steering wheel, so i got the wheels balanced and it seemed to fix it for about an hour.. now it seems to be felt through out the whole vehicle, ive had the tail shaft and everything checked and Mitsubishi said nothing seemed to be out of alignment, had the wheels re-balanced (thinking the way have stuffed up the first time) and i still have the issue. It seems to happen between 90kmh and 110kmh and annoys the hell out of me.

Has anyone found the problem in their triton or heard of someone dealing with the issue that has been able to fix it.
triton-2011

Postby Kegsy on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:22 pm

What wheels do you have?
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton-2011 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:24 pm

16" sunnies with yokohama geolander tyres, only about 2 weeks old
triton-2011

Postby Kegsy on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Theres your problem. :lol:

Sunnies are hard to balance, harder to mount correctly and they aren't hub centric. There is heaps of info on the forum. Search finger balance and hub centric.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton-2011 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:45 pm

I thought that might be the issue but was hoping it wasn't so tried to avoid it lol, at least now i know what to ask for... thanks heaps for that mate :D
triton-2011

Postby Bigbirdalx on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Carnt believe ive missed this. Had since new also, 22000 on it standard wheels did it. Standards with 32s, hummers with 32s, change suspension and still does it.
Mn glr 2012
Ive just gottern use to it
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Yeah mine is the same, changed nearly everything but still kicks in at 115kmh like clockwork
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Spotty on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Just found this thread, I had the described problem at around the 110km mark in an old 60 series cruiser and never found the problem. At about 12000km in the triton I started to notice the same resonant vibration at the same speeds (around the same time I installed my suspension). I recently drove from the Sunshine Coast to brisbane to get the car serviced and it was bugging me the whole way! I thought this was just a 4wd thing or a Bridgestone a/t thing as I have the d697's and the 60 d694's. I never mentioned at the service, but, on the way home nothing! I tried all the regular speeds and it was gone! Could this possibly be from incorrectly tightening wheel nuts? Not tightening in the correct order? All I know is it is gone! When I had the problem I could clutch it at the 110-120 mark it would still be there till you got under the speed.
Spotty

Postby GLRkenny on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Maybe they greased the uni joints
GLRkenny

Postby Bigbirdalx on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 pm

In 8000kms il print out this thread and show unlce lee. I might try grease the unis tmo then speeding thru the suburbs
Bigbirdalx

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:00 am

Hey guys, reading this reminds me of a similar problem I had with a commodore years ago.

Took it to the dealer I purchased from several times without a solution. I then attached a microphone to the axle at various points and proved the vibration into it.

On taking it to a different dealer, problem solved. They replaced the diff carrier and the problem disappeared ran like a watch after that.

Re the universal angles, it may also worth checking that the drive line is straight, ie. If viewed from above the engine/gear box, prop shaft are in a straight line up to the axle and that the rear axle is at right angle to it.

I have seen 4×4s with leaf sprung rears ever so slightly "crabbing" along the road.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Moogun on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:48 am

Recently brought a ML triton ute. Has vibration feedback through steering, intermittant worse when hitting bumps etc. New supension by ultimate last week. Car handlining greatly improved and they checked out all suspension components, but still virbration feedback through steering. Discussed on phone with tyre dealer who Ive known for a long time. He mentioned the most common issue is rim/hub alignment related as mentioned above. Dropping it off this week to him so will see how he goes.
Moogun

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 pm

In my case I've had it with 3 different sets of tyres and rims, multiple alignments and balances etc and the dealer response is always 'unable to replicate fault' but on questioning I am told there are no roads near the dealer where they can drive at the required speed - so basically they didn't even try to replicate the fault. I took mine to an independent workshop who took it for a freeway run with some engine monitoring gear connected. They certainly observed the problem but ruled out any engine related issues. Their best guess was a dodgy torque converter but then I see people in this thread with manual vehicles having the same issues.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Spotty on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Another thought is corrosion on the hub surface? As moogun described it as rim hub alignment makes sense in my case. What about tyre pressures? Has anyone tried different tyre pressures as the service guys took the pressures from my regular 36psi to 40 psi, just trying to eliminate all possibilities
Spotty

Postby Moogun on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 pm

Cd mine is a manual also. Absolutely no vibe felt through gearbox. Def an issue up front somewhere.
Moogun

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Interesting that you think it's up front. I thought so too originally, partly because I first noticed it via the steering wheel. You can still feel it though through the door sill (which is where I tend to rest my arm) and I've had passengers say that they can feel it through the seat and whole car. When I had mechanics driving it though as described above, the guy who actually drove it seemed to think rear end, whereas the guy I was questioning about it thought torque converter (but only because he'd seen something similar in a Pajero and that turned out to be the problem in that case). It really needs a workshop that's prepared to spend a bit of time on isolating the problem and excluding possibilities - such as swapping tailshafts for example - to narrow it down properly. Thus far the dealers I've used for services haven't been interested enough. :cry: :cry:

Cowboy Dave

Postby Kegsy on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Don't forget these are commercial vehicles, rattles and vibration is part of the deal.

The construction of the vehicle is old technology built to be tough, not comfortable.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:55 pm

Yeah I think you've said that before but with all due respect I don't agree on this particular fault. Nor for that matter do I agree that one necessarily has to put up with rattles and vibrations in a vehicle that cost me north of $55k and in this case the fault has been present since day 1 - so before I changed a single thing on it.

In my vehicle I don't get this vibration at all until I'm doing more than 80kmh. Equally it seems to disappear over a certain speed which is probably illegal in most places. Above 80 and through to say 114-ish it is only present on deceleration or no throttle. At almost exactly 115 under ordinary driving conditions it kicks in and is noticeable throughout the vehicle. It is a vibration and was described by one of the mechanics that drove it as harmonic in nature. My view is that it is caused by something out of balance and it takes that speed range to produce the outcome in a noticeable way.

At no point has anyone suggested this is a design feature and it is by no means present in all MNs. The fact is that there is something not right which produces this particular set of symptoms and I don't like having whatever it is wrong in my particular vehicle. I'm reasonably confident that if you'd actually experienced the same fault in your vehicle you wouldn't be prepared to wave it away as an ordinary part of the deal.

Maybe whatever it is will never get worse. Who knows? But maybe it is the beginning of something that will one day come unstuck in a major way. Say if it was the tailshaft slightly out of balance it might start chewing through universal joints, or bugger a seal on the transmission, or flog out the centre bearing. All sorts of stuff could theoretically go wrong depending on what the actual source of the issue is. And until I find out what it is I'll never know. It's not a great feeling having that uncertainty I can tell you. I have only a few months left of my initial warranty. Sure I have another 5 years of drivetrain warranty after that but then how do I even tell if this is a drivetrain thing?

As for comfort - mine was a GLX-R in a luxury pack - in theory it ought to be as comfortable as they come and it generally is, right up until it's not. We all have our tolerance levels as to what we're prepared to put up with in a vehicle. I imagine that changes depending on whether it was bought new or second hand, the spec level we bought in at, whether we're treated the car well or flogged it, whether we paid a lot or a little and so on. This is outside my tolerance levels and those who I've demonstrated it to agree it's a bit shit. I think it's a fair assumption the same is true of others who are reporting the problem.

I don't think it is anything close to a fair assumption that whatever it is in each case must just be something trivial that can be written off as part and parcel of owning a commercial ute.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Kegsy on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Fair enough, you're obviously allowed an opinion and the right to purchase a trouble free vehicle.

All Im saying is you are probably chasing something that you may not be able to fix (easily) and something that doesn't really matter in terms of longevity of the vehicle.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Kegsy wrote:Fair enough, you're obviously allowed an opinion and the right to purchase a trouble free vehicle.

All Im saying is you are probably chasing something that you may not be able to fix (easily) and something that doesn't really matter in terms of longevity of the vehicle.

Im gonna disagree but dont wanna go offtopic.

Dave, you have the one piece tailshaft?
I have the two and a manual. Might help narrow down the big lidy
Bigbirdalx

Postby Lunny on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 pm

lol, after my old bravo 4x4... which would flatten a coke on a 5 minute drive... i never notice anything.. lol..
Lunny
Lunny

Postby Spotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Ok, so another read through my invoice from my service mention adjustment of wheel bearings. In my case, I think that could have been the cause?
Spotty

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension