Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby ultimate on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Yeah they are on the other side of the strut (They keep the struts pretty straight for photos :lol: ). Not all aftermarket struts are fitted with them but our ones definitely are. You can kind of see them in this pic from Steane's Build up (I don't have any photos online showing them :oops: ). They face in towards the vehicle so are often hard to see.

Click to view larger picture
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby hewy hacket on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:26 pm

No worries
The grass is only greener where you water it.
hewy hacket

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:37 pm

hewy hacket wrote:It sounds to me like a problem with the new wheels or steering. A wobble like this can be caused by
Bent rims
Missing Weights
Bad Wheel Balance
Bad Wheel Alignment (particularly castor)
Loose nuts
Wheel Bearing
Ball Joints
Steering Rack
Tyre splitting

I would also check to see if the new rims are hub-centric and fit up right. Some Alloy rims themselves are also just difficult with balancing.

I can vouch for this had a commodore with after market Mags. The second time i took the car in for a wheel balance after buying the car, the tyre place struggled to ballance them took it back 3 times before they finally worked out that being after market rims the centre hole was slightly larger and needed a spacing ring which had been discarded by the previous tyre place. Was only about a 1/2mm gap but made the car handle terrible.
ML-VR08

Postby salt36 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:02 pm

ultimate wrote:Yeah they are on the other side of the strut (They keep the struts pretty straight for photos :lol: ). Not all aftermarket struts are fitted with them but our ones definitely are. You can kind of see them in this pic from Steane's Build up (I don't have any photos online showing them :oops: ). They face in towards the vehicle so are often hard to see.

I can see a bit of dirt there Steane, whats going on...?

Brendan here's a strange one, I have a rather loud 'clunk' noise when I turn or off road when axles articulate.

I have reinstalled swaybar which has helped.

Here's the strange part, when I grease the rear shackles and CRC all the leaf spacer thingies and the front bushes (point and squirt at them :roll: ) The 'Clunk' goes away for a couple of days....

I immediately suspected rear noise but no with windows down and me hanging out the window ( not recommended) it definitely comes from the front :shock:

Yes I know I need to drive to Sydney, one day......
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby ultimate on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 pm

:lol: You only need to make it up here for a wheeling trip ;)

To solve the issue try re-tightening the top control arms. If they come loose they will making clunking noise like you said.

If that doesn't work I would check the alignment. If there is too much camber on the Triton, it will tension up the lower control arm bushes to point and than they release. When they release it makes a load clunk which will progressively get worse. Returning the front alignment to original spec should fix that.
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby ultimate on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Found a picture which shows the brake line bracket :oops:

The Team at
ultimate

Postby Steane on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm

salt36 wrote:I can see a bit of dirt there Steane, whats going on...?

Brendan here's a strange one, I have a rather loud 'clunk' noise when I turn or off road when axles articulate.

Smart-arse :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a similar clunk to what you have Salt, and Brendan's advice fixed it. I was able to get just a fraction of a turn on the upper control arm bolt/nut. The other thing I checked was the three bolts on each of the ball joints. Both sides were quite literally loose (there was a recall over this issue), and I did those up at the same time. One or both of these issues fixed the clunk I had. It only showed when I drove into driveways, over speed bumps or similar situations off-road.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby patrolus on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:23 pm

I just found a lift kit for the tri made by "robust suspension" (http://robustsuspension.com/) . sounds like a real bargain.... 41mm bore shocks etc, doesn't sound to bad :)
question is, has anyone ever heard of that mob??
patrolus

Postby dan_4818 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 am

ultimate wrote:

Just wondering what i can expect to pay for fitting for a 2 inch lift. Pm me the prices u paid if u dont want to post. Doesnt matter where you got it done just wondering what the average price will be as i will need to get mine installed soonish when i get it.

Cheers, Daniel

Hi Daniel. Unfortunately I don't have anyone in Townsville yet that I can recommend. If you find anyone, please let me know ;) Usually a Triton suspension kit is calculated around 4 hours + a Wheel Alignment. This can be anywhere from $300- $600 depending on the mechanic and region. If they aren't familar with the Triton, it may take them longer.

Pre-Assembled Struts are available and they do come with new boots

Cheers Brendan. The only thing I was concerned about when installing was the dismantling the old strut and doing the new one but it looks like you have done it all for me. Am confident now I will be able to install no worries

Cheers Daniel
dan_4818
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:05 pm

ML-VR08 wrote:
hewy hacket wrote:It sounds to me like a problem with the new wheels or steering. A wobble like this can be caused by
Bent rims
Missing Weights
Bad Wheel Balance
Bad Wheel Alignment (particularly castor)
Loose nuts
Wheel Bearing
Ball Joints
Steering Rack
Tyre splitting

I would also check to see if the new rims are hub-centric and fit up right. Some Alloy rims themselves are also just difficult with balancing.

I can vouch for this had a commodore with after market Mags. The second time i took the car in for a wheel balance after buying the car, the tyre place struggled to ballance them took it back 3 times before they finally worked out that being after market rims the centre hole was slightly larger and needed a spacing ring which had been discarded by the previous tyre place. Was only about a 1/2mm gap but made the car handle terrible.

Its not a constant wobble, but only when i hit a pothole or bump, and it seems to bumpsteer over it and yes i get the steering wheel shake aswel, but it definately feels like there is something loose somewhere?? Its like the wheels are moving inderpendantly from the steering wheel - like there is a bit of slack or something?? really weird i have no noticable noises etc - just feels uneasy!!!
ML-VR08

Postby ultimate on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 pm

I would look at ball joints and control arms than. Sorry I can't be more help. it's difficult without seeing the vehicle.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Hmmm ok - thanks for pointing my in the right direction...ill have a look tonight and see what i find...
ML-VR08

Postby biggibbo on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

I had a similar issue after a recent service. The tyre pressures varied by about 16 psi (64 front left, 48 front right) which was making the car behave wierd. Simple thing you can easily check.

I have also had a situation where the guys refitted the wheels to the hubs and there was a small piece of steel/pebble about 2mm wedged between wheel and hub, and the wheel was not centred properly and the car was cornering like it was on roller skates.
biggibbo

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:39 pm

The classic with steel wheels ( and this happened with a few cars ) was when getting new tyres or a balance job, I'd drive home and find that the wheels felt out of balance. Having seen that they had balanced OK at the tyre dealer the only other possibility was that the wheel nuts were not sequenced properly when they did them up. Simply loosened em all and retightened and good as gold!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:56 am

Another common question-

Do I need to upgrade the steering damper?

The new Triton uses a rack and pinion steering system which doesn't have a steering damper.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 am

I went 4wding last weekend over at Stradbroke Island and the front left hand side has developed a very bad squeaking noise. I was doing some trail driving and I thought the squeaking was coming from the rear springs then it started to get worse so I stopped and did a visual inspection. Nothing looked out of place but when you bounced the car the squeaking was really bad. Once I got back on the black top the noise got better.

When I drove home on sunday I decided to drive down the beach on the ocean side as it was low tide and the inland road is boring. By the time we got to the barge the noise was back again really bad! It seems when the shockie is heating up it gets worse the noise was there all the way home. Monday morning I get up and drive to work the noise is gone???? But on big bumps like gutters it is there at the bottom of the stroke.

I am thinking its a shockie problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby ultimate on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:33 am

It sounds to me like an issue with the strut bushes. I would pull out the strut and check the top mounts. It's possible that the bushes have been chewed out or not aligned properly so the shaft is now rubbing against the top hat. This will make a loud squeak as you described and will gradually get worse as it cuts into the top hat. Here's a damaged Pathfinder one to show you what I mean. The shaft wore a straight slot into the top hat.

If that isn't the cause, the shaft could be rubbing where it enters the strut itself. Have a look to see there is any scoring on the shaft or oil leaking out.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby bally on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:48 am

ultimate wrote:If that isn't the cause, the shaft could be rubbing where it enters the strut itself. Have a look to see there is any scoring on the shaft or oil leaking out.

x2

it wont take much to get a bit of sand into the seals around the shaft on a shock and make them squeak. id be looking there as well
bally

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:53 am

Cheers guys! The struts are only 4 months old and is going back in on monday so hopefully they sort it out. They are going to replace the strut under warranty. Cheers for the pic Brenden your a legend!
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Random Suspension Questions

Postby fridgie on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:31 am

ultimate wrote:It sounds to me like an issue with the strut bushes. I would pull out the strut and check the top mounts. It's possible that the bushes have been chewed out or not aligned properly so the shaft is now rubbing against the top hat. This will make a loud squeak as you described and will gradually get worse as it cuts into the top hat. Here's a damaged Pathfinder one to show you what I mean. The shaft wore a straight slot into the top hat.

If that isn't the cause, the shaft could be rubbing where it enters the strut itself. Have a look to see there is any scoring on the shaft or oil leaking out.

Is that the one I saw?? ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby ultimate on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:35 am

Geez you have a good memory. :lol: Yes it would have been. The one which had to be repaired because Nissan don't supply the top hates separate of the strut and coil (hece $600 per side :evil: )
The Team at
ultimate

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 pm

How well do the steering racks survive playing the role of steering damper as well? Esp. with the oversize tyres some guys are fitting?

I imagine the rack and tie rods must cop a hiding.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 am

All steering and suspension components are considered consumables but they do last pretty well. When you think of it, steering dampers are incredibly cheap to manufacture yet no IFS vehicles come out with them any more. To me that says they have been designed to cope with the extra work. I know our 100 series is still running a genuine steering rack and it's done 204,000km with 33's.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby BEN115 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:56 pm

hey guys got a question. i am looking to gain positive castor i had 20 - 30 mm at the wheel in mind, im not sure what that would be in an angle, and also not sure what angle i am currently running, just wondering if anyone has achieved more castor and how?
BEN115

Postby BEN115 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:35 pm

??? anyone lol.
BEN115

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension