Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby ultimate on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:09 am

Some CV's will definitely wear prematurely with a 50mm lift kit. It varies between vehicles and is why we only raise some by 25-30mm (e.g. Holden Colorado). The Triton's front end is a bit different and you will not normally have any issues with the CVs. In saying this, the CV's are designed to be the weakest point in the drivetrain (to protect the diff) and will break under certain conditions. Some members on here have had problems with CV's clicking and failing on the road with standard suspension.

Across all vehicles, the most common causes of CV failures are over extension on droop, wheel spin and difflocks. On the Triton, a 50mm suspension kit works within the vehicle's limits and the droop is controlled by the shock and the bumpstops. Other vehicles like the current model Hilux do not have a bumpstop controlling the droop. CV failures are common on these after fitting longer shocks or strut spacers. If the vehicle is raised above 50mm, (without a diffdrop) the ribs on the CV boots will often rub and wear prematurely. This could also be what your mechanic is talking but isn't normally an issue on the Triton (with a 50mm lift).

It is very easy to snap a CV off road even on standard suspension. If the vehicle is bouncing heavily or builds up a lot of wheel spin before grabbing traction, the CVs will snap very easily. Here is a video of Borngeek snapping one at Wheeny Creek to show how easily it can happen. To be honest this just becomes part of owning a four wheel drive when you are pushing them harder off road.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/844/qxc.mp4/

All of our testing and experience has shown no evidence of a problem with a 50mm lift. If you are concerned about it though and want a smaller lift kit, we can design the suspension to be around 20-30mm above standard.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby kcdusk on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks very much for all the feedback/answers to my questions.
kcdusk

Postby kcdusk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:05 am

I've searched and cannot believe i cannot find this. I am looking for photos of tritons with 40-50mm lifts on them. Is there a thread showing just lifts (I've found one on canopys), or wheres the best place to look at some tritons that have had ultimate 50mm suspension?
kcdusk

Postby ag9111 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:10 am

Search the sheds. Heaps in there
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:18 am

kcdusk wrote:I've searched and cannot believe i cannot find this. I am looking for photos of tritons with 40-50mm lifts on them. Is there a thread showing just lifts (I've found one on canopys), or wheres the best place to look at some tritons that have had ultimate 50mm suspension?

Kc,

As AG has said, search the sheds, you can use search terms to narrow down to Ultimate. You can also look at the Ultimate Suspension thread for owners there and then click on their shed from the right hand side. I don't know what you will gain by seeing the pics too much as well have different size tyres, different cameras, different angles from where the pic was taken etc etc.

Never less, here is a pic:

Click to view larger picture
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am

kcdusk wrote:I've searched and cannot believe i cannot find this. I am looking for photos of tritons with 40-50mm lifts on them. Is there a thread showing just lifts (I've found one on canopys), or wheres the best place to look at some tritons that have had ultimate 50mm suspension?

Another good place to look would be in the Members Build Ups area of the forum. Most people who have done a thread will have had a suspension upgrade at some point, and would no doubt have put photos of the kit in. I'd use mine as an example, except I haven't really got any before/after photos of the lift kit as I did it all in stages.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Here's a couple. If you search ultimate suspension in member build up threads you'll get 171 entries - and there will be some before and after pics somewhere:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7528&p=159604&hilit=ultimate+suspension#p159604

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8480&p=164901&hilit=ultimate+suspension#p164901
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby kcdusk on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Greasable shackles. Are they better than rubber shackles? Do greasable shackles need to be re-greased every 1,000km or so, or how often?
kcdusk

Postby tukadafoonday on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:39 pm

You will still find that greasable shackles has either a rubber or a polyurethane bush inside... You can just fill it with grease to lube it up so it moves as freely as possible.
tukadafoonday

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

You do not grease rubber bushes as the grease will destroy them. Only grease poly bushes. I prefer rubber as it is softer and allows more movement sideways. Poly lasts longer though. I go through a set of rubber bushes every 2 to 3 years

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 am

X2 Never use polyurethane grease on rubber bushes. There is a special rubber grease for them. That's one reason why we don't run rubber bushes with greaseable shackles. If you do, you can guarantee someone will put the wrong grease in.

In my opinion, original rubber bushes are better than polyurethane as they are more comfortable and provide better flexibility. The only drama is they are really difficult to re-use on the Triton. The front bush is pressed in and it's very easy to damage if you don't have the right equipment. As Mitsubishi don't sell replacement bushes separate of a leaf spring, polyurethane bushes (e.g. superpro or nolathane) are the best available option.

Also be careful when it comes to bush size. Not all after market springs run the same size bushes as the originals. I know ARB and a few other brands run a smaller fixed end bush and their bush kits will not fit Ultimate or original leaf springs.
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby kcdusk on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:48 am

Ultimate - can you confirm if i should be re-greasing a greasable shackle every 1,000kms? Or is it some other periodic maintenance (ie 15,000km when triton is serviced)?

Also, are you able to confirm if original bushes will fit ultimate suspension?
kcdusk

Postby ultimate on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:53 am

It really does depend on the driving conditions. Ensure the bushes and suspension components are inspected at every service and re-grease shackles at least every 6 Months. Vehicles in arid, dusty conditions will require regular servicing every 10-15,000km.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby ag9111 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:07 pm

ultimate wrote:X2 As Mitsubishi don't sell replacement bushes separate of a leaf spring,

well that sucks. You cant go in and purchase bushes seperatly for the rear? :? :x :cry:

Thats real dumb

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Yeah it is. From memory, it's just over $600 for the leaf springs bushes from Mitsubishi :o $89 for a superpro kit isn't too bad when you think about it :lol:
The Team at
ultimate

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 pm

what are the measurements for the leaf spring (factory and aftermarket/ ultimate)
front bush to locating pin
rear bush to locating pin

and how does this compare to the hilux (or other dual cabs) over suspension over axle
and how does it compare to the MK triton (underslung)
and finally the landcruiser

just for interest sake in seeing how all the different models work ;)

some talk about triton rear flex more than a hilux (from a hilux owner) :mrgreen:
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby tezza08 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:19 pm

daryn wrote:

Kc,

As AG has said, search the sheds, you can use search terms to narrow down to Ultimate. You can also look at the Ultimate Suspension thread for owners there and then click on their shed from the right hand side. I don't know what you will gain by seeing the pics too much as well have different size tyres, different cameras, different angles from where the pic was taken etc etc.

mabe we could start a thread where we all put one pic our tri in :?: we like pics :D
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby ag9111 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 pm

ultimate wrote:Yeah it is. From memory, it's just over $600 for the leaf springs bushes from Mitsubishi :o $89 for a superpro kit isn't too bad when you think about it :lol:

Can you get aftermarket rubber bushes Brendon

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Question; I have a 2inch lift on my 2008/2007 Triton Dual cab. It handles much better than before the lift and by getting a new one piece tailshaft, there is absolutely no shudder and drives smooth as silk. Now I was thinking of getting a two inch body lift by the same crew that did the suspension lift. Was going to leave the tray at same height but lift the body. Whats your thoughts on this?
I really want the body higher for when i'm driving in the mountains where I go hunting. is there any harm in doing the body lift if its all done correctly.
Cheers and thanks in advance for your replies. :D
deermaster

Postby Brett05 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:59 pm

tezza08 wrote:
daryn wrote:

Kc,

mabe we could start a thread where we all put one pic our tri in :?: we like pics :D

I really like that idea.....if it was kept comment free and just a photo of your truck, with your Forum name under it. Then all you have to do is search for that persons shed for more pics and info......really like that idea
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby al coholic on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Body lifts are harder to get around for vehicles fitted with air bags i believe :? Not saying it cant be done....just wether or not it is legal in your state or insurable is another thing ;) Your choice.

Obvious things to do apart from just shoving the body blocks in are: bullbar (if fitted will need to be lifted) gear levers are now lower, brake lines, wiring harnesses?? Im sure there is heaps more to consider

I would be more inclined to fit a quality set of sliders and the biggest diameter rubber that will fit 33's/34's ;) Doesnt matter how big a body lift or suspension lift you have.......the diffs are still the same height unless you have the tyres to lift them higher out of the rut 8-)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby deermaster on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:07 pm

al coholic wrote:Body lifts are harder to get around for vehicles fitted with air bags i believe :? Not saying it cant be done....just wether or not it is legal in your state or insurable is another thing ;) Your choice.

Obvious things to do apart from just shoving the body blocks in are: bullbar (if fitted will need to be lifted) gear levers are now lower, brake lines, wiring harnesses?? Im sure there is heaps more to consider

I would be more inclined to fit a quality set of sliders and the biggest diameter rubber that will fit 33's/34's ;) Doesnt matter how big a body lift or suspension lift you have.......the diffs are still the same height unless you have the tyres to lift them higher out of the rut 8-)

Have been assured that all those things will be done and all will be perfectly legal. Bull bar and side bars will need to be raised as well as heaps of other stuff. Have been quoted $1100 for the body lift. I have already gone up to 265X70x16 tyres. Fuel consumption is down a fair bit with that small bit of extra height from the tyres :shock: Rather than go to 33s and get worse economy I would prefer the body lift. just wondering whether any pitfalls to watch out for.? Thanks
deermaster

Postby al coholic on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Brett05 wrote:
tezza08 wrote:
daryn wrote:I don't know what you will gain by seeing the pics too much as well have different size tyres, different cameras, different angles from where the pic was taken etc etc.

I really like that idea.....if it was kept comment free and just a photo of your truck, with your Forum name under it. Then all you have to do is search for that persons shed for more pics and info......really like that idea

But fellas....as Daryn has already said. A different angle, different camera, different light is gunna make every lift look different. ;) There isnt much point as far as a "suspension lift photo thread" is concerned.

And i know not everyone (myself included) does not update their shed after each modification. My photos are from 2009 :roll:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby al coholic on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:16 pm

deermaster wrote:
al coholic wrote:Body lifts are harder to get around for vehicles fitted with air bags i believe :? Not saying it cant be done....just wether or not it is legal in your state or insurable is another thing ;) Your choice.

Have been assured that all those things will be done and all will be perfectly legal. Bull bar and side bars will need to be raised as well as heaps of other stuff. Have been quoted $1100 for the body lift. I have already gone up to 265X70x16 tyres. Fuel consumption is down a fair bit with that small bit of extra height from the tyres :shock: Rather than go to 33s and get worse economy I would prefer the body lift. just wondering whether any pitfalls to watch out for.? Thanks

Just saying mate......you will not gain any offroad ability by fitting a body lift. ;) Your diffs and chassis will still be the same height they are now.....which is what will stop you if you get caught up in deep ruts. Sure your sills will be 2" higher than before....but they can easily be protected with a set of sliders as i said before :)
A body lift is "usually" only fitted for street appeal :roll: or to provide room to fit bigger diameter rubber ;) Which you dont want to do :D

31's are pretty small tyres BTW :twisted:

If it were me....I would spend that money on a diff lock....then there will be no stopping you regardless of the track 8-) :lol:
al coholic

Postby al coholic on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:18 pm

daryn wrote:Click to view larger picture

Gee that fire truck sits low Daz.....is that about 570mm :shock: Im sure i have seen Tritons sitting higher in the front....
al coholic

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension