Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby Joe on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 pm

BEN115 wrote:hey guys got a question. i am looking to gain positive castor i had 20 - 30 mm at the wheel in mind, im not sure what that would be in an angle, and also not sure what angle i am currently running, just wondering if anyone has achieved more castor and how?

Why??
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby BEN115 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 pm

to get the tyres away from the rear of the wheel arch to fit 'big' tyres on
BEN115

Looking at a 2inch lift for a MN but where do I get it done?

Postby azzamntriton on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:54 am

I've made enquirers with ARB, they call their lift a 2 inch lift but it only raises the rear 20 mm above standard and the front 10mm above standard.. To me this is not a two inch lift. They will be using old man emu suspension.. Is this what a 2 inch lift is? I am in the Melbourne area, Any suggestions as to the best lift I can get( 2 inch lift) , value for money, etc.. I would need it installed. What should I expect to pay? Has anyone got an arb lift is it ok?

Please help me before I make a mistake and regret it for a real long time..

Regards Jason
:oops: :oops: :oops:
azzamntriton

Postby MN GLXR on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:20 am

Jason, many people on here have had suspension lift work done by The Ultimate Suspension. They are very well regarded and have a very helpful website too. Do a search on this forum to read more.

Cheers MN GLXR via Tapatalk
MN GLXR

Postby azzamntriton on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:28 am

MN GLXR wrote:Jason, many people on here have had suspension lift work done by The Ultimate Suspension. They are very well regarded and have a very helpful website too. Do a search on this forum to read more.

Cheers MN GLXR via Tapatalk

Thanks I'll give it a go, sorry if I asked the question in the incorrect spot, I'm new to all this. but thanks heaps will call them now..
Regards
Jason A ;)
azzamntriton

Postby tradieb on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:12 pm

If i were to just replace the shock absorbers would that 'stiffin' up the front end considerably? From previous reading (thanks Chicky) ive read that the single cab is 1" higher than dual cab. I cant really afford to go much higher otherwise ill need a forklift to load and unload my tools everyday :D . Im happy with the rear springs but the fronts are terrible with the TJM bullbar fitted.

Should i keep saving my pennies for a total suspension package or would struts and shocks suffice for now?
Its nice to be important, BUT its important to be nice..
tradieb

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:37 pm

hey mate my ultimate shocks definitely changed the way the ute handles, less body roll and alot less nose dive when braking. for me it was an easy decision because i haven't got and don't want a front bar, nor did i see the point in paying an extra $1000 for 20mm extra lift at most with regards to drop stop clearances. depending on how much your front springs have sagged it might be possible to just use ultimate suspension and just use say a 5mm spacer ring with the front shocks valved to suit a single cab with front steel bar. you would have to confirm with ultimate suspension if this would be the go.
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby tradieb on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks mate, i dont think my front springs have sagged that much. Ive put a large level on my tray and lifted it up 'plumb'. To me it looks as though the front has sagged about 10mm but it could be more as this isnt exactly a precise way to measure. At present im working on a 4 and 1 roster so my driving has cut down considerably. Sort of a temporary fix for the amount of driving im doing.
tradieb

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:34 pm

park your ute in a garage or somewhere very flat and measure between the bump stops and ill compare it to mine, if you want
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby tradieb on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks Chicky. I'll have to wait until tomorrow night. All my tools are locked up 1600km's from me at the moment. :roll:
tradieb

Postby ultimate on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:51 am

Chicky is actually spot on :shock: :lol:

Upgrading the shocks by themselves will make a huge difference to the handling and help smooth out the ride on the single cab. As the GLX has HD suspension fitted, it already sits about 1" higher than standard. The single cab is also lighter than the dual cab GLX so that 1" is actually a bit higher. A lot of our customers with these vehicles have been happy with the original ride height and have just changed the shocks to improve the handling.

Our front struts are also designed with an adjustable height coil seat. This is great for the single cab GLX as you can reuse the original coil with a 10mm collar to regain the height lost by fitting extra accessories (or to gain a slight lift).
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby tradieb on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks Brendan (and Chicky), very helpful and informative. PM sent Brendan.
tradieb

Postby gg13 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:32 am

Ultimate, When you say 50mm lift is that from original factory height or were is sits now.
I dont know what the factory height was, but it looked alot higher than what is does know.
My front is still standard, but i want to fit ARB steel bar
Drivers front , 555mm
Passenger front , 560mm

But the rear has canopy , black widow drawers and constant equipment
Drivers rear 535mm
Passenger rear 545mm

will the back be raised to around the 590 mark or will it go into the 600+
gg13

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:02 am

:lol: :lol: aren't i always right brendan (chicky brushes copious amounts of tickets off shoulders) :D

see if i can go 2 for 2 :shock:

a 50mm lift will be from the factory hight so if your suspension has sagged 10-15mm youll gain 60-65mm 8-) 8-)

Brendan 10-4 to confirm... :roll:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby ultimate on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 am

:lol: :lol: Nice one Chicky

The measurements are taken off the original trim height so if the vehicle has sagged, you will often get a bit more. Each vehicle is different though (including slight variation from factory) and it's not always precise to the mm. Often the range is around 40-50mm above standard. Any higher than this has major problems with bumpstop clearance and increased wear on the struts.
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby burnah on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:54 am

I've asked this question in the squeaky springs thread but figure you're my best bet for an answer Brendan.
Is it possible that after having the warranty fix for rear spring noise, my ute rolls less around corners?
I've never liked how much it leaned when cornering but it seems heaps better now.
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tyson09 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:19 pm

Tough Dog lift .
I purchased a tough dog lift from Opperstie lock whilst installing they also fitted the steel winch bar and i identifed that i would be fitting a winch inhte next month . I was informed that the kit would lift my 09 ml to approx 40ml.on picking my car up it was a little nose down but looked not to bad some months later i fitted the winch i noticed the front end looked very low . On this i went to a indepentant suspension shop who infromed me that the front had sagged to just under 500 which is lower than standard . i purchesed a set of new Dobinsons coils and wow 575 at front . a check on the coils revelled that they are the light load not the H/ D that was needed . Well that was what i thought one week from fitment the front struts started to bang and clunch over every bump .Oppersite lock replaced the struts under warranty but yet again with new struts the banging and clunking has began . Oppersite lock has stated that the dobinsons coils are to big and the tough Dog strut can not take a coil /lift of more that 25ml.

Has anyone had this problem :
tyson09

Postby daryn on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Dobbies coils should only be used with dobbies struts. Period.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm

They are valved and built to suit.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby tyson09 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Its the best you get in the Northern Territory but i took the car to a suspension shop highly recomended . it looks like i have done my money on the tough dog . Ive used tough dog in the past but never again what a champion lift kit ( NOT ) . So the bottom line is the tough dog kit is not more then 25 ml or it bangs and clungs what a joke . looks like i will have to fork out again for the new struts to fit the springs . Just gets better and better .
tyson09

Postby daryn on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Unfortunately that is what this forum is about, informing and exposing the differences, unfortunately you may find us or not before you research and ask the many here before doing anything.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby neros103 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:12 pm

hi had my 2010 glxr triton from new , and have been gleaning info from this forum for a while, and it appears that the prefered after market suspension upgrade would be ultimate, now for the actual question ,does anyone now of or had ultimate fitted in perth wa ? ta guys, fed up with the monkeys at ARB
neros103

Postby daryn on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Just pm Brendan directly for a supplier if he does not reply here within the next day. Better still call them, you will not regret it.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby tyson09 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 am

Looks like oppersite lock want my car for the day to pull it apart again , will wait and see what they come up with
tyson09

Postby ultimate on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:41 am

hi had my 2010 glxr triton from new , and have been gleaning info from this forum for a while, and it appears that the prefered after market suspension upgrade would be ultimate, now for the actual question ,does anyone now of or had ultimate fitted in perth wa ? ta guys, fed up with the monkeys at ARB

Unfortunately we don't have any recommended installers in Perth atm but can supply direct. There has been quite a few members from this site install our products in WA. A lot have either used their normal mechanics or even the Mitsubishi Dealer. We are working on getting a recommend installer over there so I will keep you up to date on this.
The Team at
ultimate

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension