Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby neros103 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks brendan, car due for 30k service next week, and will speak to mitsi as to fitting and cost, will contact with specific requirments when i now more, out of curiosity whats the supply time frame from point of order and payent ?
dave
neros103

Postby ultimate on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:34 am

Hi Dave,

At the moment we are looking at about 2-3 weeks for delivery to WA. It's normally around 2 weeks but the freight companies are under a lot of pressure atm.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby wake jake on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:07 pm

My leafs have sagged past flat which was always going happen. Found it funny that Pedders quoted $620 to have them repacked even though they outsource. New leafs are $350 ironman ebay ones. Would it better to get them repacked or new springs. Anyone got theirs repacked at a half decent price in melb?
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Get new springs and install yourself.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby ultimate on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:12 am

We normally only add leaves and reset springs for trades/service vehicles which are loaded all of the time. It is normally a cheaper alternative to handle extra loads but produces a harsher ride compared to an aftermarket spring. They work well for fleet operators looking for a safe, cost effective solution, but I think you are far better off going with an aftermarket pack on your vehicle. Alternatively, repacking springs is also what we do if there is no aftermarket springs available (e.g for the rear of a Mahindra). From what I have been told, Pedder's don't list a rear spring for the Triton which is why they repack the originals. For the $620 though you can get nearly any aftermarket spring and U/bolts to match.
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby wake jake on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks Brendan for the advice looks like im going down that track. Ironman leafs apparently for Tritons. Would you recommend HD leafs for roof rack spare muddy and 100kg of tools always in there?
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby kcdusk on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:21 am

After market suspension. As far as I can tell, it does two things.
1. Even with a comfort or medium upgrade, it gives a stiffer ride so it handles better when loaded up
2. It provides some lift, say anywhere from 20 - 50mm.

Don't both these things result in a worse ride for the majority of the time? I do allot of camping, thousands of KMs a year. But I'm still only doing maybe 10 - 15% of my total KMs under those conditions. Which means 85% of the time with aftermarket suspension I have a stiffer ride and the car is higher which also degrades handling.

I agree aftermarket suspension improves the situation when your loaded up and/or towing. But for most people, even dedicated campers/travellers, thats still only a small % of the time.

Is this right, or what am I missing? Can aftermarket suspension somehow be "better" than standard around town?
kcdusk

Postby fridgie on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 am

Aftermarket suspension is 'stiffer' yes... But...

The body roll and nose diving under brakes are virtually eliminated which improves handling tenfold.

Mine hardly ever has anything in the back and the sussy upgrade makes it so much nicer to drive ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby mattz on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 am

After experiencing the triton with a suspension upgrade, I would highly recommend doing it.....even if you don't go off road. I would describe the ride as firmer but not hard or harsh. It looses the bounce that the oem suspension gives.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby daryn on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 am

kcdusk wrote:After market suspension. As far as I can tell, it does two things.
1. Even with a comfort or medium upgrade, it gives a stiffer ride so it handles better when loaded up

Don't both these things result in a worse ride for the majority of the time? I do allot of camping, thousands of KMs a year. But I'm still only doing maybe 10 - 15% of my total KMs under those conditions. Which means 85% of the time with aftermarket suspension I have a stiffer ride and the car is higher which also degrades handling.

I agree aftermarket suspension improves the situation when your loaded up and/or towing. But for most people, even dedicated campers/travellers, thats still only a small % of the time.

Is this right, or what am I missing? Can aftermarket suspension somehow be "better" than standard around town?

Congratulations ksdusk,

If I could I would send you prize and announce you as new member of the month, you took the time to do some reading and found the most appropriate place for your first ever post and questions here. I wish everyone was like you, can we clone members......hmmmmmm

Seriously, well done and I am sure you will get the answers you are looking for :D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:41 am

daryn wrote:
kcdusk wrote:After market suspension. As far as I can tell, it does two things.

Congratulations ksdusk,

If I could I would send you prize and announce you as new member of the month, you took the time to do some reading and found the most appropriate place for your first ever post and questions here. I wish everyone was like you, can we clone members......hmmmmmm

Seriously, well done and I am sure you will get the answers you are looking for :D

I think he's about to cry from joy :lol:

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby kcdusk on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for the welcome, glad i got the post and thread correct. Unfortunately i am web savvy but not car aware. So i might have the best placed, worded and thought out questions on the most simple of subjects.

We do allot of off road travel with our camper trailer. Oodnadatta track, Strezleki, Birdsville, Mt Ive station, Arkaroola .... doing a Simpson crossing later this year.

I dont want to upgrade suspension if i dont have too. But i'm thinking with the amount of dirt roads and sand driving we do, and wanting the extra lift for expected tough times in the Simpson, its worth it. However my Uncle, who would fit the suspension, and has 45 years in the car mechanic industry including race cars, drags and rally cars, doesnt think its a good idea. Which is leading to some interesting discussions now about the pros and cons!
kcdusk

Postby Mooons on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:39 am

Where are you located
An option maybe to have a drive of some local members vehicle with an upgrade & see what you think
Oh and welcome to the site
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 am

If you're not looking at lifting the vehicle or changing the original springs, you can change the shocks out for aftermarket items. This will help a lot with ride comfort and handling, as aftermarket shocks will better handle the springs that are in the vehicle. In my experience, the Triton's shocks don't seem to be up to the task of handling the springs properly, and that is where the complaints from "wallowing ride" and "unstable" mainly come from.
Last edited by fraz91 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

fraz91

Postby Greedy on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 am

Mine handled crap from new with the stock suspension. Nose-diving, body roll, bump steer and sea sickness were the major issues along with increased braking distances. The replacement suspension made the car a dream when compared to stock. Sure, it's higher now (added bonus in my book) but all the symptoms above (and the Avil) have been removed.
To find out how crap the stock suspension is, put your camper on the back and find a nice corrugated road. Your question as to whether it's worth replacing will be answered.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby smouch1975 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:45 am

Several people have mentioned arse end squeck with the 'Ultimate Suspension'.

Should this occur in mine, once fitted
Is it possible too transfer the Mitsubishi 'Silencer Kit' over to the Ultimate Leaves

I think from memory there is one extra leaf in 'Ultimate's' so it would mean only three of the leaves been "silenced".

Thoughts please :?:
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby Greedy on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 am

smouch1975 wrote:Several people have mentioned arse end squeck with the 'Ultimate Suspension'.

Should this occur in mine, once fitted
Is it possible too transfer the Mitsubishi 'Silencer Kit' over to the Ultimate Leaves

I think from memory there is one extra leaf in 'Ultimate's' so it would mean only three of the leaves been "silenced".

Thoughts please :?:

I haven't heard of a brand of leaf spring that hasn't squeaked in a triton. Louder radio has been my fix along with the wife driving it 90% of the time. :(
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:11 am

The ultimate rear springs actually have a fitting that looks a lot like the silencer kit that mitsi fits so I am not sure whether you'd be improving anything.

Re the upgrade question from our new member, the answer really lies in the stock suspension being a bit ordinary. The new stuff can't help but be better. If you get something customised to suit what you do it should be an improvement all the time, not just when you're loaded.

I had mine setup for towing heavy so the springs in the back are pretty heavy - and yes when there's no load it rides a bit hard back there. I just carry a lot of shit in the back and then it rides nicely. 8-)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby kcdusk on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:41 am

My understanding is that springs give the car the 'Lift". What advantages, if any, are there to simply replacing standard shocks with after market shocks and not replacing springs?

My thinking is this may help with corrugations and towing, without possibly making the car taller & unstable? A kind of compromise.
kcdusk

Postby tukadafoonday on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:15 am

Fraz will be good at answering this question for you... Unless I'm wrong he did his suspension in stages starting with shocks when he first started working at Ultimate.
tukadafoonday

Postby ultimate on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:23 am

You can raise the Triton 50mm above standard without any adverse effects on the stability. With a good aftermarket suspension kit, the vehicle will be a lot more stable and have improved handling even with the extra ground clearance. I know this video is for a Hilux, but the principle is the same. Even with a 4" lift over standard, the aftermarket suspension still out-handles the original set up in all conditions. Lift is not always a negative thing and it does have a lot of benefits for outback touring.

Depending on your model, replacing the shocks by themselves can still provide a few benefits. You will definitely get better handling and the shocks often improve the ride quality as well. If you have a GLX with HD standard suspension, you will find it will handle the loads a bit better and upgrading the shocks may be all you need. There are a couple of members on here who have gone that way and are happy with the results. Everything is relative to weight though. If you have a bull bar, winch and other accessories on the front, you will need to upgrade the front springs to match. The standard ones just aren't rated for it and will eventually collapse. If you are still concerned about height, you can get standard height HD springs to handle the extra weight.

Contact set his GLX up like and is happy with the results.
Click to view larger picture

I know it's hard to grasp, but aftermarket leaf springs can be more comfortable than the originals while still providing a higher load carrying capacity. This is possible with the different quality steel and leaf spring design. Often the original springs will end up sagging and sitting on (or close to) the second stage. Every time you hit a bump or washout, the first stage will slap the second stage giving a real jarring feeling from the back end. Putting a bit more camber into the spring (and giving the vehicle added height) will remove this jarring making the ride a lot smoother. As long as the spring is set up to match your loads, you shouldn't have any problems re comfort.

The standard springs are softer but that doesn't mean they are always more comfortable. The jarring effect mentioned above and a long distance trip with them bottoming out is not comfortable at all. SRB just went through this with his club cab and it does happen all the time.

srb wrote:After taking it up to Fraser Island just after Christmas on the stock suspension i knew it was time, the ride was uncomfortable and dangerous. The stock suspension is so rubbish!
So a trip to Ultimate for them to weigh each corner of my truck i think even they were surprised to see so much weight over the ass. So they built me custom leaf springs with comfort coils up front and custom valved Aussie Ryder twin tube gas shocks all round. Oh and got them to replace my brake lines while they were at as well. It now handles better than ever!
The Team at
ultimate

Postby fraz91 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:14 am

kcdusk wrote:My understanding is that springs give the car the 'Lift". What advantages, if any, are there to simply replacing standard shocks with after market shocks and not replacing springs?

My thinking is this may help with corrugations and towing, without possibly making the car taller & unstable? A kind of compromise.

Tuka's right. Working at Ultimate, I got to actually experience what each part of the suspension set up does to a vehicle, as well as tailoring my own kit to suit my specific needs.

The shocks themselves make a lot of difference to the handling and comfort of a vehicle, however the springs definitely have the biggest effect. Aftermarket shocks will aid in the control of the vehicle at speed and in hard cornering, however the factory rear springs will still create a harsh ride due to what Ultimate has outlined above.

fraz91

Postby kcdusk on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:43 pm

New question. If the vehicle is raised (50mm), what about "topping out"? Are the new shocks longer to prevent "topping out"?
kcdusk

Postby ultimate on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Most aftermarket shocks are actually the same length as the originals for a 2" lift. This is especially true on the front where the travel is restricted by the two bump stops. The down travel is restricted by the vehicle's bump stops or the shocks internal bump stops before they top out and get damaged.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby kcdusk on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:42 pm

I've heard people say that if you raise the car 50mm, then some CV joints can wear much worse because (I'm guessing) shocks/tyres/drive shafts are no longer at 90 degrees. I'm not 100% sure what they mean.

Are you able to clarify?

Is this a problem with Ultimate suspension (if not, why not, to help me explain to my mechanic doubting friend).
kcdusk

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension