Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby Probz on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi Guys and Girls, I'm just about to lay down the money for new xrox bullbar and winch for my 2015 MN just seeing what people here think about what to do with my suspension. The car already has a 2" dobinson kit all round which has been good after some early issues with ride heights it now actually has the bullbar springs in it because the 2" non bullbar springs came out at exactly stock height where as these have it sitting at 570mm at the front.

I don't want the front end going any lower so I was thinking of putting in 6mm spacers (10-12mm lift) to counteract the extra 75kg on the front end. I know the larger spacers that are around 30mm are frowned upon for good reason but would the 6mm create enough stress on the struts and ball joints to be concerned about it or would it be fine?
Probz

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:50 am

570mm isn't really a 2" lift. Better to change the coils than put in spacers. Talk to Dobinsons or Ultimate about suitable coils that will get you the height that you want.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Probz on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Yeah it was marketed as 2" but it was really only 30mm, theres something not quite right with Dobinsons spring listings as these are the heaviest duty listed for the front of a MN and it still only sits at 570mm I'm not sure if later MN's could be heavier in the front or what.

I'll wait and see after I put the bar and winch on was just hoping I could sneak out of it with the spacers because I couldn't be bother pulling front end apart completely for 3rd time haha
Probz

Postby Kevin Vermaak on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi.

I would like to upgrade my suspension to reduce roll and improve driving comfort. Is it necessary to install new shocks and coils only, or do I need to install leaf springs too? I’ll be adding a bull bar later down the line.
Kevin Vermaak

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 am

The rear leaves are, arguably, the weakest part of the whole suspension system and flatten out very quickly.

If you read back through various suspension threads you'll see that we've always advocated that you do all your weight adding mods first and suspension last. This is so that you can match suspension to actual weights and get it right the first time.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Headley on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:25 am

Hey guys,

Anyone done a live axle swap for the front of their MN? Something worth doing for the average punter looking for a decent lift etc?
Headley

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:33 am

Headley wrote:Hey guys,

Anyone done a live axle swap for the front of their MN? Something worth doing for the average punter looking for a decent lift etc?

$10K to $15k better ways to spend money imho

https://www.facebook.com/Ironhidecustoms/ have done afew
Big O in SA done a couple of ML
L200Shogun

Postby Headley on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:07 pm

oh man. Yeah better things to spend that money on for sure.
Headley

Postby Lukus Maximus on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Got a random question for ya. Is it possible to swap the rear axle to the underside of the leafs to gain more diff clearance? If so, do you think it'd be worth the effort? Pros/Cons? Thanks
Lukus Maximus

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Diff clearance is determined by the distance from the bottom of the tyres (the ground) to the lowest point of the diff housing. Putting the leaves on top of or below the axle, even if you could, would make absolutely no difference. If you want more diff clearance, get bigger tyres.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Lukus Maximus on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:39 pm

Of course. Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks bud. :oops:
Lukus Maximus

Postby bayonetdummy on Thu May 24, 2018 1:35 pm

I bought a 2011 MN recently and after looking at the suspension I notice the springs, shockers and struts all appear to be EFS. I'm now wondering if it has been lifted. Any obvious way to tell? The leaf springs appear to be MITS-11E
bayonetdummy

Postby Maxiy on Thu May 24, 2018 3:52 pm

bayonetdummy wrote:I bought a 2011 MN recently and after looking at the suspension I notice the springs, shockers and struts all appear to be EFS. I'm now wondering if it has been lifted. Any obvious way to tell? The leaf springs appear to be MITS-11E

Measure the ride height, from the middle of the hub to the bottom of the guard.

Then compare your measurments to some of the ones in this thread

https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=505&p=548388&hilit=ride+height#p548388
Maxiy

Postby samboy on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 pm

Just wondering if the MQ standard suspension would fit into 2010 MN??
Only reason thinking of doing it is because I'm not after a lift and second hand kits from basically new MQ's are pretty cheap.
Thanks
samboy

Postby Headley on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:19 pm

So a few days ago Queensland laws changed in that you could get a 150mm lift with an engineers certificate. Made me wonder how one can lift a Triton 150mm?

Also gotta ask if the 2006-2011 model Tritons have solid front axles?
Headley

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Headley wrote:how one can lift a Triton 150mm?

50mm tyres
50mm suspension
50mm body

Wouldn't want to drive it, though.

Headley wrote:gotta ask if the 2006-2011 model Tritons have solid front axles?

No.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby IndoTriton on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:54 pm

I've been searching the forum for individual reviews, but most aren't exactly like my needs, or include brands I don't have access to, so let's bring this random suspension question here!

For an MN with stock height and springs, front and rear bumpers as only significant weight additions, and focused on most comfortable performance at around 30 km/h on rough dirt roads... what are the best shock/strut replacements?

(available to me in Indonesia are Profender adjustable, Bilstein, OME, Raw4x4, and Tough Dog.)
IndoTriton

Postby Probz on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:22 pm

At the moment im considering what to do with my rear end in regards to more flex and whether its worth it im mainly after keeping the car more stable and just a bit more traction on the rear as my car doesnt have rear lsd or locker. Currently im limited by shock length and brake lines and am considering upgrading both to try and get a bit more down travel

So rundown on car as it is, it has dobinsons comfort leaves and monotube shocks .

From researching this forum it seems like I can get about another 60mm in shock length at the cost of about 20mm up travel would this be correct? Do you guys think the extra 60mm would be really that beneficial?

Also before i go outlay any money on it is there any checks i can do to see how much travels left in the leaves before going ahead? Usually id just drop the shock off and jack it up but brake lines limit that too.
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Probz

Postby Probz on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Ok so this forum seems pretty dead except for the mq/ mr stuff but anyone willing to throw in any advice for my above post?

My rear dobis are completely dead after pulling them off and inspecting so im going to go ahead and put longer shocks in the back. Does anyone know the max eye to eye compressed length you can use so it hits the bumpstop before the shock bottoms out?

Probz

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Best suggestion I can offer is to go and talk to someone that knows Triton suspensions and has access to all the numbers that you're after. Dobinsons should have all that, or alternately, see Ultimate.

Getting more flex isn't just about shock length though. Springs come into play as well and getting the right match really is, especially when talking about something that's custom, in the realm of the experts. It's all about getting the balance = extreme flex means softer springs and that may mean that you don't achieve your other objective of more stability. While I understand where you're coming from, another 60mm isn't going to help in the photo above. To keep going in those situations you may need to consider front or front and rear diff locks.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Probz on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for the response, I have spoken to both Ultimate and dobinsons and they both reccomended a longer shock that both appear to be MK triton shocks after referencing part no's but I didn't push for much more info because I didn't expect them to give away their r&d info so I could compare to other brands haha. However I did want to do some of my own research just to see what else can be an option and how far I can go with it which is why I was trying to find out what the compressed length was without having try bottom out my shocks(quite hard to do unladen and in a safe place to get under car)

I agree fully regarding shock length, my next limiting factor will be springs (dobinson comfort) but I currently have about 20mm before my leaf maxes out on the spring clamp so I should get pretty close to full travel of the shocks I'm currently looking at.

I do have a front locker and don't really plan on doing the rear so I was more looking to get a bit more flex out of the back to make up for it and I know it wouldn't help above it was more just to give and idea of where the car is at now.

Cheers
Probz

Postby Probz on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Ok so ill put up this info incase anyone else wants to go down this path, i know 3 others have done it but never put up any indepth info and have all left the site now.

I managed to get a pair of ultimas for a 60series landcruiser/ mk triton for about half the price of a 1 decent brand shock as a trial set in case i break something in my messing around. So far ive gained 60mm down travel and still have about 40mm left of shock down travel but am now either limited by my leafs or driveshaft so have 25mm spacer on its way for driveshaft and if that doesnt do anything ill muck around with my leaves.

Ultimas advertised measurements vs what they actually are-

Closed length 375mm - 393mm
Open length 630mm - 640mm

Ultimate Suspensions long travel shocks that don't need a bumpstop extension are around 378mm closed and their ultra long travels are 390mm closed so im guessing 378mm is about the limit before you have to extend the bumpstop. I cant confirm exact figures coz i cant max out my up travel no matter how bad ive tried haha, so next step ill drop a leaf pack out and measure it but i think ill end up with a 20mm extension just to be safe.

As a side note, Ultimas (ebay cheapies) are way softer and nicer on road and off versus the dobinsons, and if they last more than 30k km they'll be a far superior shock

Click to view larger picture

Probz

suspension

Postby pmexceed on Sat May 16, 2020 1:50 pm

hi all just wondering if the stock suspension ie leaf springs,shocks,struts are different between an 07 duel cab & an 2014/2015 triton? Mine are pretty tired & can source brand new `14/`15 components for very cheap!
pmexceed

Re: suspension

Postby srb on Sat May 16, 2020 5:21 pm

They're the same.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Suspension issues please help

Postby Gazz82h on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 am

hi everyone so ive recently just purchased my 1st 4wd and keen on doing some adventures its a mn 2011 glxr arb bullbar canopy and soon my 12,000lb Ridge rider winch , I want to put some 33s on it , and lift it, but after having a look underneath ive found the front has old man emu shocks on standard springs and rear has OME shocks on standard leafs now from wat ive read OME is some pretty decent stuff so wat can i do to get the lift out of it as its not quite wat i want height wise .. so wat im looking for is opinions and info on getting wat i need to get it higher , my thoughts atm are buy leafs heavy duty 300kgs and front springs and if still not happy on front spacer plate on top of strut I think rear with the leafs will be OK but front im not sure pany info or exp would be appreciated
Gazz82h

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension