Suspension lift....shudder

2 Piece Tail shaft

Postby mirkoculic on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi all,

i have a mate who has a 2009 ML 5 Speed manual with a 2 piece tail shaft. He would like to know how and where if anybody knows he can get/purchase or get converted into a one piece and roughly the cost of doing it. He also lives in Melbourne and any info as per usual would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Mick
mirkoculic

Re: 2 Piece Tail shaft

Postby deermaster on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:44 pm

mirkoculic wrote:Hi all,

i have a mate who has a 2009 ML 5 Speed manual with a 2 piece tail shaft. He would like to know how and where if anybody knows he can get/purchase or get converted into a one piece and roughly the cost of doing it. He also lives in Melbourne and any info as per usual would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Mick

Cannot help in Melbourne mate, mine was done by Fourbys in Mooroka approx cost was $300 to $350 beautiful and never hits either :D
deermaster

Re: Suspension lift....shudder

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Pretty sure these people do it, they do in qld anyway.

http://www.driveline.com.au/contact-us
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby gazman152 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:31 pm

I've enquired at Driveline in Melb. They said they could do the job but said it may foul on the bearing mounts. The conversation didn't leave me confident that they new enough to tackle it. Can't recall the quote but it was much cheaper to have Ultimate send one down. Still on my to do list.
gazman152

Postby jamespb78 on Mon May 25, 2015 9:29 am

Is it still the case that an auto MN Glxr is free from this shudder when lifting?

It's a bit late of me to ask...I'm just about to get it done, just not sure what to expect or look for?
jamespb78

Postby GLRkenny on Mon May 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Auto should be fine because of the one piece tailshaft
GLRkenny

Mn triton manual 2 inch lift

Postby woody64 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:27 pm

I have a 2010 mn triton, manual with a two piece tailshaft. Now I've been reading through the forum and am getting more and more confused. Now I've worked out that the ml will develop a drive saft shudder with a 2 inch lift if it has a two piece tailshaft but it is a bit unclear if a mn triton will. Some people say it will and others have been saying it has been sorted out in the mn others even saying the mn shouldn't have a 2 piece tailshaft. Well mines defiantly got a 2 piece tail shaft.

Just want to know from people who have done a 2 inch lift on a mn with a manual and two piece shaft if they had any shudder problems?
woody64

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 pm

Welcome to the forum, Woody.

We already have close to 40 threads on shudder so have merged yours into this one, which is the largest.

Chassis on both MN and ML are identical so what will affect one will be the same for the other. That said, every Triton is a little different but, with a 50mm lift and two piece tail shaft, yes you are likely to get shudder. How serious? Depends. There are solutions though so I wouldn't be too concerned. Do your lift and then go through the solutions one by one until it's either fixed or reduced to an acceptable level.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby neilrich on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:31 pm

WOOOOOOW, just been reading this topic and there is alot to consider when looking at fitting the mighty trity with a lift kit. I bought a 2014 MN manual 2.5l turbo Diesel dual cab late last year. Just did my first real offroad adventure at MOA,( Murchison offroad Adventures here in W.A) at the start of this month, (July) with a stock standard Triton, ( snorkel fitted is the only upgrade) and the Trity did really well. Suspension was a little too soft for some of the tracks, but for what i did, the Triton performed excellent. Love the mud holes.
It's back to researching suspension upgrades and looking at what i want to do on next years assault on MOA.
Cheers to all.
neilrich

Postby AussieAnth on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:36 am

Bought my 2013 MN GLX manual new, and since I lifted it soon after.
back end is sitting on EFS 150kg load shocks & leafs at 600mm height.

While I don't have any of this 1st gear shudder, while accelerating I get a noisy vibration in 3rd gear for a couple of seconds as the revs rise, right through the cabin. It doesn't feel localised, like a wheel out of balance. Because it feels central and throughout the chassis, it makes sense its the tailshaft. Worse when accelerating heavily.

Having read through this thread, I'm tempted to start with a centre bearing flip & tail shaft spacer, but I'm not convinced I'm trying to fix the exact same problem. Any advice?
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Martin on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:35 pm

How do you fix tail shaft shudder without fitting a one piece shaft?
Martin

Postby black sabbath on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi i have looked through this thread and understand people say using a tail shaft spacer and castor wedge but it is rather unclear as to what size of each i require.

How do i know which one i need?
ive seen spacers and castor wedges come in all sorts of sizes

how do i know which one i need ,
is there a set type of size for the so called lift height ?
black sabbath

Postby viking shippy on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:07 pm

black sabbath wrote:Hi i have looked through this thread and understand people say using a tail shaft spacer and castor wedge but it is rather unclear as to what size of each i require.

Ultimate suspension has wedges and spacers in stock...
viking shippy

Postby black sabbath on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:05 pm

viking shippy wrote:
black sabbath wrote:Hi i have looked through this thread and understand people say using a tail shaft spacer and castor wedge but it is rather unclear as to what size of each i require.

Yep yep thanks mate, but my concern is, how do i know what size i need?
how do i determine what size spacer and what degree wedge i need prior to buying them and then being the wrong ones?
black sabbath

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:15 pm

By asking ultimate what you need. They'll tell you even if you're not buying from them if you ask nicely. Speak to Brendan, you'll find him a helpful bloke. Or even PM him - just use Ultimate as the user name.

My recollection is that it is something like 3 degrees for the wedges and i thought the spacer only came in the one size. Dobinsons sell one from memory although they're not cheap.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Bigbirdalx on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:51 pm

black sabbath wrote:
viking shippy wrote:

Yep yep thanks mate, but my concern is, how do i know what size i need?
how do i determine what size spacer and what degree wedge i need prior to buying them and then being the wrong ones?

Probs a 22mm spacer. A simple way is literally unbolt the rear shaft where it connects to diff and it will pull away. Measure the gap and thats se size
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby rsv4dan on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Putting my dobinsons lift into my MQ tomorrow(practically same shit as an MN).
Im worried because my car has a bad shudder at STANDARD ride height, i can only imagine it's going to get way worse.. have to wait and see. It comes with a spacer for the tail shaft so i'll be fitting that. Might have to look at castor wedges also.
Now can anyone tell me, if spacing the rear transmission mount up say 5-10mm to lift the transmission will help? Seems easy and this should slightly remove some of the "bend" in the tail shaft center bearing, correct - thus removing some tendency to shudder?
rsv4dan

Postby Kegsy on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:53 am

Depends what the factory angle is on either side of the centre carrier bearing...

Having a completely straight driveline is bad, and it will vibrate. The trick is to have the angles on either end of the tailshaft exactly the same IE: alternate angles. This will balance the tailshaft and eliminate any vibration.

So say the driveshaft leaves the gearbox at 5deg down, you want 5deg up at the centre-carrier, then if it leaves the centre carrier at 25deg down you want 25deg up at the pinion. You'll never get it perfect, but the closer you get the better the result.

If by shimming up the GB mount creates this scenario with the centre bearing it might be worth a shot, as long as you don't flatten out the angle on the engine itself too much.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:01 pm

rsv4dan wrote:Putting my dobinsons lift into my MQ tomorrow(practically same shit as an MN).
Im worried because my car has a bad shudder at STANDARD ride height, i can only imagine it's going to get way worse.. have to wait and see. It comes with a spacer for the tail shaft so i'll be fitting that. Might have to look at castor wedges also.
Now can anyone tell me, if spacing the rear transmission mount up say 5-10mm to lift the transmission will help? Seems easy and this should slightly remove some of the "bend" in the tail shaft center bearing, correct - thus removing some tendency to shudder?

Have you taken it back to Mitsubishi?
I'd be worried they will blame the aftermarket suspension if it's an ongoing problem and it hasn't previously been noted on your service history.
Could just make things a pain in the you know what.

Kegsy wrote:Depends what the factory angle is on either side of the centre carrier bearing...

Having a completely straight driveline is bad, and it will vibrate. The trick is to have the angles on either end of the tailshaft exactly the same IE: alternate angles. This will balance the tailshaft and eliminate any vibration.

So say the driveshaft leaves the gearbox at 5deg down, you want 5deg up at the centre-carrier, then if it leaves the centre carrier at 25deg down you want 25deg up at the pinion. You'll never get it perfect, but the closer you get the better the result.

If by shimming up the GB mount creates this scenario with the centre bearing it might be worth a shot, as long as you don't flatten out the angle on the engine itself too much.

One of the best and most informative posts I've seen for a while. 8-) 8-)
Last edited by mattz on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby rsv4dan on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:57 pm

I work at Mitsubishi. Mmal don't acknowledge the issue.
Fitted my lift today. The dobs rear leaf springs had inbuilt Castor wedges, i also fitted the tail shaft spacer.
Shudder out of control afterwards. Spaced the rear transmission mount about 10-15mm total. Shudder back to where it was before lift(shit but somewhat bearable)

BTW the shudder has always gone away when putting the car in 4wd
rsv4dan

Postby Jazza on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi guys new to the forum, but I've got a 2015 MN.. I've got the shudder on stock sus but have a crap tonne of weight in the tray so the sus has sagged. Came to this forum to search peoples preference in lift / load bearing looking at Outback Armour
Jazza

Postby buffhunt on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Jazza wrote:Hi guys new to the forum, but I've got a 2015 MN.. I've got the shudder on stock sus but have a crap tonne of weight in the tray so the sus has sagged. Came to this forum to search peoples preference in lift / load bearing looking at Outback Armour

Hi Jazza, I'm running Outback Armour. I have a little bit of shudder in 1st as I launch but all else is good. The suspension is firmer, but that may be because I asked for springs ready for a Steel bull bar and winch, which I haven't fitted yet.
The suspension is very good off road, getting good travel and handling. It's hugely improved on corrugations on both bitumen and gravel.
Cheers,
buffhunt

The worst bit about growing old is remembering your youth! :shock:
buffhunt
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Shudder with a lot of weight and sagged suspension? Normally that would be in the no shudder zone.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby motoz on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Shudder with a lot of weight and sagged suspension? Normally that would be in the no shudder zone.

http://youtu.be/T4P75ZQvpws

You can see in this demo the more lift equates to the tail shaft moving in an elliptical motion. This is what causes the shudder.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kxboss on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Been told that the shudder is only when no weight in the back ???

Is this true???? :o :o
kxboss

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension