Suspension lift....shudder

Re: Suspension lift....shudder

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:09 pm

dazz389 wrote:Hi guys. I see this post and problem has been going on for a long time. I lifted my GLXR Manual 3.5 litre v6 Triton dual cab just over 50mm in the rear and experienced shudder strait away.
Have 95% overcome this by a combination of actions. The tail shaft centre is mounted over a fixed cross member, which makes lowering the shaft unsimple, compared to other setups.
I have fitted caster wedges between rear leaf spring and diff housing assembly to raise front of diff slightly. I have rotated centre bearing 180 degrees, but the biggest benefit I got was cutting the centre bearing HOUSING/BRACE that is welded to cross member. I went as far as I could, which is limited because too low and the brg sits on the crossmember. I then used washers to space the brg so it sat JUST off the crossmember.
The vibration is all but gone.
This I carried out in my own workshop, but for those that dont have the same access, the total job took around 2 hours and could be achieved by any good mechanic or welder.
Cheers.

First glxr ive heard with shudder and also first ive heard of with 2 piece tailshaft??

Theres a few how to threads somewhere at the start here showing how to cut and re weld. Also ultimate now sell a modified centre bearing that even further reduces shudder
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby Lunny on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:14 pm

All the manuals have a 2 piece tailshaft... I believe.... This is the main reason it occurs
Lunny
Lunny

Postby ag9111 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Lunny wrote:All the manuals have a 2 piece tailshaft... I believe.... This is the main reason it occurs

Not so. All the manuals with super select have a one piece tailshaft.

I know the early ML GLX-r's and VR's with easy select had 2 piece tailshafts
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lunny on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:55 am

ag9111 wrote:
Lunny wrote:All the manuals have a 2 piece tailshaft... I believe.... This is the main reason it occurs

lucky I put the ... I believe in lol... Was sure and not so sure lol...
Lunny
Lunny

Postby trouble on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:58 pm

ag9111 wrote:

I concur. :)
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Mashine13 on Wed May 07, 2014 8:05 pm

G'day all, really need some info here. After many hours of searching and trying to eliminate problems I've come up with nothing.I've installed a 2 inch lift (ironman shocks/ultimate front springs/reset rears) and I've got a weird vibration/grinding which feels like it's coming from the front drivers side.
I've checked/done the following:
- tightened all bolts again
- checked wheel bearings for play
- checked all bushes
- flipped the centre bearing
- spent a good hour under the ute looking for anything that could be out of place/worn
I do have the tailshaft shudder in first gear but it is very minor. The vibration I get almost feels like someone randomly banging a lump of wood against the floor. I can't feel any vibration/wobbling through the steering wheel or gearstick, just through my feet on the floor/pedals. It happens over 10-15kmh right up to 120+ and only ever when cruising or deaccelerating. Bumps/turns do not make it any worse, nor does putting it in 4wd, just seems to happen on any type of surface. Here's the funny thing, accelerating there's no sign of it.
If anyone's experienced this or has any other ideas do let me know!

Thanks,
Matt
Mashine13

Postby macca002 on Wed May 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Mashine13 - Try giving a part of your steering component a squirt of lanolin (or similar), and take it for a test drive. Hopefully after a couple of attempts at this, you will squirt the one that makes the sound go away. Then you know what to look into. If it doesn't work, then time to look into it further...
macca002

Postby snowman on Wed May 07, 2014 8:30 pm

look at gearbox and crossmember mounts.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed May 07, 2014 8:50 pm

.... I'd have to concur Snow... I had a weird bump noise ... Ended up being a cross member ...
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Belbrook on Thu May 08, 2014 7:31 am

Mashine13 wrote:G'day all, really need some info here. After many hours of searching and trying to eliminate problems I've come up with nothing.I've installed a 2 inch lift (ironman shocks/ultimate front springs/reset rears) and I've got a weird vibration/grinding which feels like it's coming from the front drivers side.
I've checked/done the following:
- tightened all bolts again
- checked wheel bearings for play
- checked all bushes
- flipped the centre bearing
- spent a good hour under the ute looking for anything that could be out of place/worn
I do have the tailshaft shudder in first gear but it is very minor. The vibration I get almost feels like someone randomly banging a lump of wood against the floor. I can't feel any vibration/wobbling through the steering wheel or gearstick, just through my feet on the floor/pedals. It happens over 10-15kmh right up to 120+ and only ever when cruising or deaccelerating. Bumps/turns do not make it any worse, nor does putting it in 4wd, just seems to happen on any type of surface. Here's the funny thing, accelerating there's no sign of it.
If anyone's experienced this or has any other ideas do let me know!

Thanks,
Matt

I've had a similar problem twice before. It ended up being a stone wedged in the gearbox mount. They are hard to see and I needed to hammer it put with a screw driver.
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby Mashine13 on Thu May 08, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks for the help guys, I'll crawl under again this arvo. I checked the gearbox mounts and they looked fine, rubbers good and no sign of metal to metal contact. It's so weird that is only happens on deacceleration and surmising though. Cold morning this morning and it didn't seem to be occurring as much. Could it be the centre bearing just getting thrown around randomly? Mines pretty flogged out. I've heard of filling them with silicone to stiffer them up, good idea or not? And pre-lift it was running smooth at silk
Mashine13

Postby jt1986 on Thu May 08, 2014 12:00 pm

it sounds similar to my problem not long ago, i don't kno if urs in manual or auto but mine is a manual and it has a gearbox mount (mitsi call it a stoper) on the passenger side connecting to the chassis and it was rooted. its not an easy mount to see into to check. i was told that it wouldn't be the problem but i had already bought a replacement and once i changed it it went away and hasn't come back

heres the post viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16065
jt1986

Postby Mashine13 on Sat May 10, 2014 10:45 am

So no issues with the gearbox mounts or steering and checked the one you mentioned jt1986 and it's pretty flogged out, I don't think that's the problem but I'll be getting a new one of those and the centre bearing aswell.

Found what I think is the problem today. When I got my shocks back from getting the ultimate springs on, I could hear a slight sliding sound in the drivers side shock, thought nothing of it and just installed it anyway. I found that it is that shock that is very noisey/clunky and sometimes doesn't even compress when I jump on the bullbar. The shaft on the shock looks a little bent and has wear marks along the chrome of the shaft.

I'll be taking it back to the mechanic and testing the warranty on my ironman shocks seeing as I've only had them just over a year. Otherwise another dint in the bank account to get some ultimates!
Mashine13

ml 2007 lift

Postby waterrat70 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:47 pm

I have just lifted my 07 triton, used a fulrum kit with bilstein shock and efs 350kg leafs. Have wedges installed but still have a shudder, was thinking about putting a 1 piece shaft to eliminate this issue and the tailshaft vibration, any thoughts?
waterrat70

Re: ml 2007 lift

Postby fridgie on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Try a search on shudder and heaps of info will be revealed
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Re: ml 2007 lift

Postby myself62 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:17 pm

waterrat70 wrote:I have just lifted my 07 triton, used a fulrum kit with bilstein shock and efs 350kg leafs. Have wedges installed but still have a shudder, was thinking about putting a 1 piece shaft to eliminate this issue and the tailshaft vibration, any thoughts?

I have an 07 ml, lifted it, had the shudder, had the drive shaft converted to a one peace, problem solved, no side effects or issues what so ever. Have had it at full extension when i went flying over a sand hump on fraser island all wheels were off the ground, after inspecting the drive shaft there were not areas which had hit anywhere.
Bruno.
myself62

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Waterrat, I've merged your thread with this one. You should find the answers you seek in the preceding pages.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby msrlo on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:41 pm

My Ml had a bad shudder after the ultimate lift went in, it used to be very annoying when taking off but it used to do my head in when in low range climbing up hills. So I put a long range tank in so the tail shaft had to come off the diff to fit it in, so I'm not sure whether or not the tail shaft had been turn while off but the shudder is no longer there, I've turn the centre bearing and it didn't do anything so I don't know if this helps anyone but it maybe worth a try for someone
msrlo

Postby Scubadan on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:01 pm

The rotating of the original did nothing for me either. Ultimate do also offer a dropped centre bearing which brings the 2 piece ml driveline back into line if it develops the shudder. Can't remember the price but it was an immediate fix for myself and a number of other people. I think they suggest fitting the suspension first and let it settle and if there's no shudder - great, if shudder is there then fit the dropped centre bearing and it goes.
Scubadan

Postby gazman152 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:17 pm

msrlo wrote:My Ml had a bad shudder after the ultimate lift went in, it used to be very annoying when taking off but it used to do my head in when in low range climbing up hills. So I put a long range tank in so the tail shaft had to come off the diff to fit it in, so I'm not sure whether or not the tail shaft had been turn while off but the shudder is no longer there, I've turn the centre bearing and it didn't do anything so I don't know if this helps anyone but it maybe worth a try for someone

Wouldn't it be the 120kg of fuel you're now carrying around? I know when my long range tank gets low the shudder comes back. Fill her up and all gone.
gazman152

Postby msrlo on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:50 pm

gazman it's makes no difference full or empty, it never had the shudder before the lift and whether the ute was loaded or unloaded that damn shudder was still there so the tank shouldn't haven't any effect. The tail shaft shouldn't be out of balance so I'm thinking some how turning the tail shaft has maybe changed the balance
msrlo

Postby kennys triton on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:17 pm

done 50 mm lift and change tail shaft to one piece no shudder on my ml triton now. the centre bearing is in cased around a rubber sleave which under load moves putting tail shaft out balance on two piece tail shaft go to drive line serves aus $300 to fix
kennys triton

Postby gazman152 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:26 pm

msrlo wrote:gazman it's makes no difference full or empty, it never had the shudder before the lift and whether the ute was loaded or unloaded that damn shudder was still there so the tank shouldn't haven't any effect. The tail shaft shouldn't be out of balance so I'm thinking some how turning the tail shaft has maybe changed the balance

Bugger. I guess that's why Brendan at Ultimate said some Tritons shudder and some don't. Increasing load weight should help because it straightens the shaft angle a tad. Like I said, it disappears in mine completely with some gear on.
gazman152

Postby leeroy12 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:03 am

My MLs the same, got the ultimate lift, shuddered like anything in first gear, flipped the centre bearing and it reduced it. Loaded up its practically not there, I haven't put in the tailshaft spacer yet.
I guess it comes down to actually how high your back end went up with the lift.
leeroy12

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:44 am

She swallowed a frog to catch the fly.....looks like another mod is needed...
My arb draws cured my shudder......
viking shippy

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension