Suspension lift....shudder

Re: Suspension lift....shudder

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:38 am

Keep posting Teramo, for gods sake, just keep posting.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Coled on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:50 pm

FYI,
Finally got my new ironman springs installed after the first set didn't raise the rear of the vehicle. now its raised and the damn shutter is in the house. Now from my experience i can not see how the increase in tail shaft angle can cause the vibration as such. The tail shaft is short bty about 40mm which is being corrected by the spacer. This still creates an issue when suspension travel is increased when off roading which is again making the tailshaft want to pull away from te diff. I would think a slip spline in the tail shaft would be a better option. I have spoken to a couple of tailshaft companies who are interested in maybe tackling the situation. One company has a parrent company in QLD somewhere but the guy down here wants to do his own investigations. He also informs me that they are doing suspension lifts ( they have 2 company tritons 1 which has apprently been lifted 80mm) from what he has told me the kits seem very reasonable. I will be seeing this bloke on Thursday and discussing the tailshaft shudder further to try and come up with a solution and i will try to get some more details on their suspension.

Cheers Coled
Coled

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Coled wrote:FYI,
Finally got my new ironman springs installed after the first set didn't raise the rear of the vehicle. now its raised and the damn shutter is in the house. Now from my experience i can not see how the increase in tail shaft angle can cause the vibration as such. The tail shaft is short bty about 40mm which is being corrected by the spacer. This still creates an issue when suspension travel is increased when off roading which is again making the tailshaft want to pull away from te diff. I would think a slip spline in the tail shaft would be a better option. I have spoken to a couple of tailshaft companies who are interested in maybe tackling the situation. One company has a parrent company in QLD somewhere but the guy down here wants to do his own investigations. He also informs me that they are doing suspension lifts ( they have 2 company tritons 1 which has apprently been lifted 80mm) from what he has told me the kits seem very reasonable. I will be seeing this bloke on Thursday and discussing the tailshaft shudder further to try and come up with a solution and i will try to get some more details on their suspension.

Cheers Coled

Hey there Coded i was also going down the same path with a splined tailshaft i have 2 60 series landcruiser tailshafts and looking at getting one fitted to my rear tailshaft.
I was told that new hilux tailshafts have slip splines on them.
hey can you keep me posted about the 80mm lift cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Coled on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:42 pm

No problem one guy quoted around $300 to $350 to put a splined slip joint in but i'll see what this other guy on Thursday says as he is fairly interested in using my vehicle as a test vehicle. i'll find out more about the 80mm lift on Thursday also for you.
Cheers

Coled
Coled

Postby bobp on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:47 pm

interested in how the slip joint go's
bobp

Postby Eelesy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:02 am

Arnt we all!!!
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Buzzy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:54 am

I will read this thread with interest, nice work coled ;)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Spraker on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:29 am

I just had my shudder fixed by my mitz delear they said they have done couple ,and so far they have not give me a bill for this but they did replace the clucth for nothing only done 20000k plus they put in a computer engine up grade.The suspension i put in 2inch bigger coils and shocks and air bags on the rear with bigger shocks.
Spraker

Postby Greedy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:43 am

What did they do to fix it or is that a trade secret they aren't willing to divulge?
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:58 am

Spraker wrote:I just had my shudder fixed by my mitz delear they said they have done couple ,and so far they have not give me a bill for this but they did replace the clucth for nothing only done 20000k plus they put in a computer engine up grade.The suspension i put in 2inch bigger coils and shocks and air bags on the rear with bigger shocks.

Spraker,
more information would be nice here to help everyone out.
Do you know what they did?
How long ago did they do the fix, and has anything else changed?
Has the shudder gone, or just reduced?
is there a hotline fix number or did you have to ask?
Did the dealer put in the suspension upgrade originally?

and finally which Brisbane dealer?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Buzzy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:37 am

Come on spraker dont tease us with comments like that.... spill the beans!
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:27 pm

His shed says iron man springs - I didn't know dealers did lifts? If they do it would be worth an extra couple hundred to get them to do them and cover warranty on everything including shudder. That would be 10 yr drive train??

Do tell Spraker!!!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:29 pm

Unfortunately I see Teramo is quiet. Someone get him to post again please.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Homer wrote:His shed says iron man springs - I didn't know dealers did lifts? If they do it would be worth an extra couple hundred to get them to do them and cover warranty on everything including shudder. That would be 10 yr drive train??

Do tell Spraker!!!

The dealers don't do lifts BUT you can include it in at the time of sale so when it leaves their hands it has a lift larger tyres etc.
I don't expect warranty in this situation (10 year driveline) but it would make it a bit hard to dismiss items like the shudder out of hand.
I had most of my accessories (including suspension componants) included into the sale of the vehicle (also helps to get GST off acccessories when leaseing 8-) )
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Spraker on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Sorry guys ,the story goes that i put it in for the clutch spring to be fix ,talking to the sevice manager and told him of the shudder and told him what one of the forum members had told me,about tuning the centre bearing up sidedown his reply was we have done three already so they did it while they had the triton, it has been a couple of weeks now all gone (that day).But now the squeeck is driving me crazy. :D :D :lol: :lol:oh the delear was blue ribbon motors.
Spraker

Postby graemeg on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:12 am

My 08 manual Triton shuddered in first gear straight from the box. By the time I added an ARB winch bullbar, side rails and rear step/bumper (loading up the springs) the shudder went away.
A question about suspension. If I replace the factory gear with Old man Emu, can I add 2" lift later without the need to replace any of the new stuff if the heavy duty gear doesn't lift it enough?
graemeg

Postby Buzzy on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:36 am

Welcome to the site graemeg.
You can lift it later, try Snake Racing for some strut spacers & extended shackles.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Bartman on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:45 pm

First of all I'd like to welcome every members, I'm signed in for couple months, but it's my first post. My name is Bartek & I live in Poland.
I'm considering installing a 2'' kit from either Dobinson or Iron Man. I red carefully all posts in this theme, and probably miss one thing about shuddering. My question is, If I lift my manual diesel 2.4 DID equally in the frony & rear, will the shuddering occur or maybe it occurs only when rear is raised more than front? In Poland little people modify their L200 (tritons) so it's difficult to get any informations there's also very little available accessories for new Triton, we also have only one engine version available (2.4 diesel) . Sorry for my poor english, thanks in advance. Best regards.
Bartman
Bartman

Postby Greedy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:54 am

G'day Bartman. Welcome to the site. The shuddering occurs when you lift the rear end as the tailshaft angles get out of alignment. The front part of the shaft ends up a lot closer to level than the back part of the shaft. The lift in the front is largely irrelevant. Once lifted, the shudder becomes less as more weight is put on the back. i.e. load or towing. I have fitted the Dobinsons 2" kit which also comes with tailshaft spacer and castor wedges to overcome the shudder. Their service is also very good. The centre bearing of the tailshaft can also be rotated to help with this problem. Have a read of this thread.
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1147&p=17957&hilit=centre+bearing+rotation#p17957
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:04 pm

I think I have seen a thread based on what I have to say but not sure where it is,

I was driving home from the airport tonight, every time I accelerated to just over the 100kmph line then let the accelerator off to slow back down to 100, I got a shudder/light vibration feedback through the pedals and floor. The shudder only lasts until it gets back to 100 and stops. It has me stumped as what it could be. Firstly I thought it might be my tyres I have on the front which are getting on knackered
Another thing I thought it could be is the suspension, I have the ultimate 2"lift and no longer get the shudder on take off (I think everything has settled into place nicely now)
Anyone had this before or have any other ideas I could throw at mitsi when I drop it off for the 90k service.
It can't be the alignment as I only just got that checked the other week and everything was above spec!
Cheers
dan.batto

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:08 pm

There's a thread about high speed vibration in MNs. Usually kicks in noticeably at about 115 but I have found with mine that it also shows up on deceleration at high-ish speeds. That said I have still not determined the cause of mine.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby dan.batto on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 am

I'll have another search, and a read over there, thanks cd
dan.batto

Postby biffinger on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 pm

got my ute lifted by dobinisons last week, rides great apart from the shudder, they fitted the castor wedges and spacers to fix the issue but because i have an alloy tray instead of a well back there is still a slight shudder from less weight pushing down. a sand bag in the back has helped with the problem a bit :D
biffinger

Postby bulldeye on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 pm

I could be wrong but don't the manual glxr mn tritons come with a one piece shaft. Also would a double Cardin joint help anything. I want to lift mine but I want to do it right without the shudder.
It sounds like its going to be a hard fix. I hope not though. All the info is great thanks.
bulldeye

Postby Joe on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Ultimately biffinger if you want a lift you MAY get the shudder. There are things that can be done to minimize it, but some Tritons get a slight shudder no matter what. Either lift it and put up with any possible shudder or leave it alone but that is the risk you take.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension