secondary diesel filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: secondary diesel filter

Postby viking shippy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:59 am

brodical wrote:What was the cost old fart?? As I think I'll go the same way....

An arm and a leg ....No...Come to the dark side.... brod...lol...
viking shippy

Postby paddstar69 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Does anybody know if there is a replacement filter/cartridge for the OEM that is rated at the lower 2-3 microns.
Reason for my question is I physically do not have the room under the bonnet for a secondary filter, and was considering fitting a secondary filter down near the tank but reversing the filters to have the larger filter down at the tank and the finer unit sitting in the OEM housing.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Sounds good in principle mate but probably asking for trouble warranty wise. If your still in warranty that is ...but it's a good point...
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:29 pm

viking shippy wrote:

An arm and a leg ....No...Come to the dark side.... brod...lol...
lol skippy like old mate I'm running out of room in the engine bay...but Evan though I can see the merit in having the finer filter after oem I can also see merit in keeping the system clean pre oem filter and to be honest if that means more regular filter changes with the secondary filter I'm not phased ...and will jst leave the oem filter changes at the intended change intervals...an if the secodary filter keeps clogging up then I know it's doing its job...
brodical

Postby viking shippy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Yes mate I'm kidding..
I have no room either when this rain stops..
I'm going to fit mine down under the oem one..
Close to the wheel arch curve so I can access it from there...
viking shippy

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi Brodical, here is an eBay link to the Donaldson P550588 system that I installed. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/P902976-Add- ... 5ae7c78509 I actually got it even cheaper for around $79 plus $20 postage from an industrial supplier in Western Australia but that ebay link no longer exists so they have obviously now sold out of all their available stock. The thing I'm impressed with about Donaldson Filters is that they are one of the largest suppliers of filters to the OEM market in the world and that they stand behind the quality of their filters with a solid manufacturers warranty. They supply OEM to the likes of Cummins and Caterpillar and hence I have no reservations at all about using their filters. As I said in my previous post, what I have described is just simply 'another method' of arriving at the same 'happy place' for 'still under warranty' Triton owners as is already detailed in Tony's posts about fitting 'fine filters' after the OEM unit. Either approach will equally achieve the same desired result and so basically it all boils down to just what you, as a Triton vehicle owner are prepared to 'risk' in terms of any possible future warranty claim on MAL for any injector system failure whilst your vehicle is still under their factory warranty. If your own vehicle is no longer under MAL warranty then I personally would have absolutely no hesitation at all, in using Tony's approach of fitting a fine filter after the OEM fitted filter unit. By the way, don't forget that Donaldson are bringing in a new P551615 99%@3um filter in late December which sounds to be an ideal sized unit for use on a Triton.

Best Regards,
Bill
aka AnOldFart
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 am

HI Bill,

If I may... I am a little perplexed by your methodology and concerns.

The link above is a pre filter (11um according to the spec sheet). So definitely before the factory filter is where it belongs.

A finer filter, which is what Tony is talking about with 2 micron filtration, should always be a secondary filter (ie. after the factory filter). ALWAYS.

How does putting any filter either side of the factory filter affect your warranty? I can tell you from experience it does not. I have run a 2um filter post since the triton was 1 year old. (about 30,000km..) It is now 4 years old and about to tick off 100,000km. In that time I have put in 6 new 2 micron filters (as the indicator said it was near blocked, and there was a loss of power) Each time I also replaced the factory filter, or close to it if I did not have one. Do them myself and one only lasted 5000km (bad tank of fuel) and the latest one has lasted a fair while. (about 17,500km roughly, but is due to be changed)

I have had Mitsubishi replace TWO injection pumps at THEIR expense.. ie. under warranty. (also known as a common rail pump)
There was no hiding the filter in the engine bay, it is enormous..

Mitsubishi have looked at my car many times for other warranty matters too. Not once have I been knocked back due to any modification. I have many more modifications than just the fuel filter, including engine modifications. They agreed none of these modifications could, would or should affect the parts that failed at various times. Warranty was approved.

For the record, I NEVER have my car serviced at a mitsubishi dealer, always privately. So the dealers in question had no motivation to do me any favours.

How could ANYONE argue a pre or secondary filter can damage anything in the common rail system? It further protects it. It is misinformation you have been given about the way warranty works on any motor vehicle, of any brand.

Your pre filter above will help protect the factory filter which is not such a bad thing at all.

Just for the people that read this site, that donaldson above wont filter particles below 11um. I believe the factory filter is 15um? but I am using my bad memory on that.

My, and others recommendation, is to install secondary 2um filter as particles as small as 5um can block the injectors on these common rail systems. Like already said filters are cheap, engines are not.

Secondary 2 micron filtration is the best way to protect your engine.

Are you going to be putting a secondary filter in after donaldson release one, Bill? That will have you changing 3 fuel filters every time. Now that is a very big fuel filtration setup. I would say overkill, but more protection is more protection. So I am not necessarily discouraging you from doing it, just feel it is a bit over the top - personally. I am not expert enough to know if three filters would put too much strain on the injection pump also? Others may be able to chime in here...

I have found your posting useful, I just think it was necessary to clear up the warranty concerns and point out that particular filter is not a 2 micron unit. A pre filter is a pre filter, a secondary filter is secondary. No matter what a salesman, lacking in the product you need, tells you.

:geek:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:34 am

Hmm at least we no where some one gets there info..and I ain't talkn about you mr geek...but an interesting read
http://www.seaskills.com/files/SeaSkill ... ePaper.pdf
brodical

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:34 am

I think you'll find that 'someone' is a hell of a lot smarter than most people on here and probably used that information to dumb down his explanation enough for 'someone' to be able to comprehend it.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby macca002 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:38 am

Homer wrote:I think you'll find that 'someone' is a hell of a lot smarter than most people on here and probably used that information to dumb down his explanation enough for 'someone' to be able to comprehend it.

Sometimes its also just easier to copy/paste from elsewhere instead of re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.
macca002

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:39 am

I think you quoted the wrong post mate :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby brodical on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:54 am

Homer wrote:I think you'll find that 'someone' is a hell of a lot smarter than most people on here and probably used that information to dumb down his explanation enough for 'someone' to be able to comprehend it.

I don't doubt it at all 'somehow' :-)
brodical

Postby viking shippy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:54 am

brodical wrote:Hmm at least we no where some one gets there info..and I ain't talkn about you mr geek...but an interesting read
http://www.seaskills.com/files/SeaSkill ... ePaper.pdf

Marine diesel engines are not DID as yet at 2300psi..I hope...I hope never ..as the bad quality fuel and contaminates available to a diesel marine engine is freely available...and will give reliability issues..
this white paper is talking about. ...tank,2um,10um,engine.....hence the blocked filter and troubles with a primary 2micron filter..and of boat owners getting a bum steer from manufacturers of engines and filters.
Finer 2um filtration should only be used for secondary filtration..
Again no mention of the reverse ..the setup I,tony and geek are banging on about is a reliable tried and tested system....most marine engines I've been involved in have a totally separate graded system...of fuel tank,water trap,10um,5um...then the ome filter if at all supplied....that gets a free ride but changed at regular intervals.
these setups are for conventionally injected diesel engines......
These triple units are bulkhead mounted and take an area of 400mmx300mmx150mm....that doesn't realy apply to the flow and
Space restrictions in our mini trucks....but the basic filter principals apply in many industry's and anything different (ie. installed ass about...) is a compromise....
I might add that the choice of size and number of the filters and medium not the arrangement is totally reliant on the type of injection system used and the quality of fuel available....
Last edited by viking shippy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby brodical on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 am

Yer I found that article and thought hmmm gee this sounds familiar lol... I don't doubt tony is a very smart man.. and not having a crack tone ... I can jst see some one runnen round copying an pasting then professing to be an expert in whatever that may be lol....off topic a little..oops.
brodical

Postby viking shippy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:28 am

brodical wrote:Yer I found that article and thought hmmm gee this sounds familiar lol... I don't doubt tony is a very smart man.. and not having a crack tone ... I can jst see some one runnen round copying an pasting then professing to be an expert in whatever that may be lol....off topic a little..oops.

Have you ever thought that great minds think alike.:lol:
Many of us professionals come to the same conclusion
Off our own batt every day of the week :shock:
Especially when it's not rocket science....
it's first year basic filtration principles....
It's manufacturers,salespeople and noobs
That try to complicate things...
Last edited by viking shippy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:59 am

viking shippy wrote:
brodical wrote:Yer I found that article and thought hmmm gee this sounds familiar lol... I don't doubt tony is a very smart man.. and not having a crack tone ... I can jst see some one runnen round copying an pasting then professing to be an expert in whatever that may be lol....off topic a little..oops.

Have you ever thought that great minds think alike.:lol:
Many of us professionals come to the same conclusion
Off our own batt every day of the week :shock:
Especially when it's not rocket science....
it's first year basic filtration principles....
It's manufacturers,salespeople and noobs
That try to complicate things...

I can walk out of my office and talk to 20 diesel fitters.
All of them will answer the same- larger micron filter first, capture the crap- give warning about water
the the smaller micron filter.

they must have all read the same article you linked?

oh and looks like moderation is in order- keep it nice guys- all round
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 pm

borngeek wrote:HI Bill,

If I may... I am a little perplexed by your methodology and concerns.

The link above is a pre filter (11um according to the spec sheet). So definitely before the factory filter is where it belongs.
........etc, etc, etc. :geek:

Hi Borngeek, my first post was to show the readers of this thread how and where I fitted the Donaldson P550588 11um water separator before the OEM filter on my single cab Ute ..purely.. as a means of protecting it from water contaminated refueling which I had heard recent reports of, that were occuring in my local area. Then, I started to investigate the means available of fitting a 'fine' filter ..AFTER.. the OEM and it was at this point that I spoke to Bruce at Donaldson Australia to see what was available in their filter range that might suit that job. After reading all of the points he raised in his e-mail reply to me (which I have already previously posted for all to read, a page or so back in this post) I decided that for the avoidance of ..ANY.. possibility of a future pump / injector warranty refusal by MAL that ..I.. would be 'happier' and sleep easier in ..my own.. particular situation, where the available space to mount a physically large combined 'fine' filter and water separator ..BEFORE.. the OEM did not pose any problems to me at all, to then go with that solution instead, of using a physically smaller, 'fine' filter fitted ..after.. the OEM. Now please, don't take this the wrong way Borngeek, but despite ..your.. I'm sure, 'well intentioned' assurances to me, of no worries of a possible warranty refusal risk by MAL should the sh*t ever hit the fan with ..my.. own vehicle's pump / injectors ..my.. decision is ..not.. to tinker with their factory fitted OEM fuel delivery plumbing under the bonnet, ..at least.. until my vehicle is no longer subject to any limitations imposed upon me under the 'fine print' contained in a MAL factory warranty document. The combined Donaldson 'fine' filter and water separator I was initially considering using is their 3um P553207 but that would require me to also fit a different head assembly to accomodate it's larger 93mm diameter and so I have now decided to just wait for another month until the first shipment of their new 3um P551615 filters arrive in Australia in late December, which will then allow me to do a straight swap over with my current 11um P550588 cartridge, whilst at the same time retaining it's same 77mm head assembly unit. And so there you go, that's the long and short of the entire story. I'm not trying to say that everyone else should use this option. This is just ..another choice.. that's available for each Triton owner to consider when trying to ensure that their pump / injectors remain healthy and happy and as long lived and trouble free as possible. How's that old saying go, "after all, all roads lead to Rome"
Best Regards,
Bill
aka AnOldFart
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:55 pm

I think the water separation part of this might be important too. If the Donaldson has better water separation than factory and saves the water from getting through then it's probably worth it for that alone.

Also important to remember that his is a tray back so has a lot more room to mount a filter at the tank end.

I still have a Donaldson setup at home that I bought from a forum sponsor - that was also designed to be a pre-filter. In the end though I went with the 2 micron post OEM and the pre-filter is sitting in a box.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Hey old fart
Why not just buy a second Donaldson filter at 2lm and mount it between your oem and your existing 10lm.....then you will have best of both worlds....yes the oem will be doing well not much and just coming along for the warranty ride..that you could change at the given service routine along with your Donaldson set up ....you will have a setup that trucks and boats have been using for years...with a bonus 3x the water traps....and filtration...
viking shippy

Postby borngeek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I think the water separation part of this might be important too. If the Donaldson has better water separation than factory and saves the water from getting through then it's probably worth it for that alone.

Also important to remember that his is a tray back so has a lot more room to mount a filter at the tank end.

I still have a Donaldson setup at home that I bought from a forum sponsor - that was also designed to be a pre-filter. In the end though I went with the 2 micron post OEM and the pre-filter is sitting in a box.

The Racor 445R separator you have stops water too, with a visual separation bowl at the bottom (with a drain plug) and a filtration indicator at the top.
It is superior to the donaldson unit by a country mile, hence the ridiculous price of the Racor - presumably?

//Bill have not taken anything the wrong way. All good, you are entitled to do whatever you like. I just was confused as to why you came to those conclusions, which you have explained.

My point was you are just running a water separator with near the same filtration capability as factory unit. I definitely do not see you having warranty concerns. Equally nor do those that decide to fit secondary as well.

Here, FYI, is the info on the Racor 445R Separator; Spin-On Series:
Max Flow rate : 45 GPH (170 LPH) ;

Fuel Port Size : 3/8"-18 NPTF ; 4 Ports 2 Inlets & 2 Outlets. Height: 23.6 Cm ; Width: 11.4 Cm ; Depth: 12.1 Cm

Water Removal Efficiency 99 %

Feature a hand (palm) operated fuel priming pump which simplifies service procedures and yields extremely low flow resistance due to its unique pump bypass characteristic. 445R filters have multiple fuel ports (two inlets and two outlets), a unitized mounting bracket for installation convenience, 3/8"-18 NPTF inlet and outlet ports threads, and provide flexibility during mounting to fit any engine application.
Additional 400 Series features include spin-on, high-capacity, Aquabloc®II replaceable filter elements which stop water, remove solid contamination, and are available in 2, 10, and 30 micron. Filtration needs should be based on application, fuel quality, operating climates, and maintenance schedules. Also included are spin-on contaminant collection bowls. The clear bowls used with these filters will not discolor from alcohol, additives, or UV light and have a leak-proof, positive seal, self-venting drain for easy servicing. Water and contamination levels can be seen easily at a glance.

Here is what it looks like installed:
Click to view larger picture
I could swap the hoses and make it a pre filter too.

:geek:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:24 pm

viking shippy wrote:Hey old fart
Why not just buy a second Donaldson filter at 2lm and mount it between your oem and your existing 10lm.....then you will have best of both worlds....yes the oem will be doing well not much and just coming along for the warranty ride..that you could change at the given service routine along with your Donaldson set up ....you will have a setup that trucks and boats have been using for years...with a bonus 3x the water traps....and filtration...

Hi VikingShippy, well yes I had indeed, considered doing just 'exactly' that, which you have suggested above, but in the end it would have meant that I would have had to buy / fit yet another filter and head assembly on which to mount the additional 'fine' filter after my existing 11um P550588 water separator. After dicsussing all of the available options with Bruce Evans from Donaldson Australia I came to the conclusion that as long as I went with an "appropriately 'large' sized 'fine' filter unit" for my own vehicle's application then I could get away with just fitting the ..single.. 3um rated filter and water separator prior to the OEM unit instead. Please also keep in mind that ..I personally.., am not venturing 'off the beaten track' into the far flung back blocks of our 'Wide Brown Land' where every single jerry can full of re-fueling can also be expected to come repleat with a bucket full of 'bulldust' included in every 20 litres of 'very' dubious quality diesel. ;-)
My own poor old girl will probably spend 99% of her service life on the 'poorly' tarmac sealed and copiously pot hole riddled 'goat tracks' that they like to refer to as 'roads' up here in Queensland. Mate, as I've already said here a number of times, I'm not trying to twist anybody's arm on how ..they.. should, set up their own 'fine' filter on their own vehicle. I'm just suggesting an alternative 'option' for anyone else, who like me, is a little 'paranoid' about giving MAL ..ANY.. opportunity to reject a claim on their pump / injectors under warranty somewhere down the track.
Best Regards,
Bill
aka AnOldFart
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:57 pm

your right mate.....
All good here..I just don't agree..
Each to has own
and as I have stated
good on you for putting up your ideas.
viking shippy

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:51 am

viking shippy wrote:your right mate.....
All good here..I just don't agree..
Each to has own
and as I have stated
good on you for putting up your ideas.

Cheers VikingShippy, As the old Jewish saying goes, "if ve voz all just de bluddy same, den vot a bluddy boring old vorld it vould be" :lol:
Mate, If my Ute wasn't still under MAL warranty then I would have absolutely no hesitation at all in quite happily using the exact same 'fine' filter located AFTER the OEM approach that has been so clearly detailed in this thread by Tony and many others. I have no argument at all with their impeccable logic in using that 'filter system'. My only ..personal.. reservation about using it on my own vehicle ..now.. relates ..solely.. to providing MAL with a ..possible.. 'opt out clause' on them honouring any ..possible.. future warranty claim for a failure of my vehicle's pump or injectors. The thing I don't like to ..risk.. is that they are bloody sure to have much deeper pockets than me, should it ever become necessary for me to have to resort to $$$lawyers$$$ should such a warranty claim ever degenerate into a case of 'push comes to shove' between them and me. My own chosen approach simply allows me to sleep more peacefully at night.
Best Regards,
Bill
aka AnOldFart
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Old Fart - you could always run one of these secondary filters up front and swap the way the lines run, then it would be 2mins to swap over come service time....then when the warranty runs out, just swap them around to OEM primary 2micron secondary and be done with it.

Just a thought anyways...
macca002

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Bill, I've been following this with some interest since I have a near new vehicle.

The one thing that I don't understand is your logic behind defining a supplementary filter before the factory filter as not part of the system where a supplementary filter after the factory one would be. As far as I can see, regardless of where you install an extra filter you are interfering with the standard system which starts at the fuel tank. So long as elements in both filters were changed on the specified schedule then I can't see that MMAL would have a leg to stand on in the event of a warranty claim. In fact, given that the accepted practice is to install the finer filter after the coarser one, doing it in reverse might give them greater cause to not honour a claim.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems