secondary diesel filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: secondary diesel filter

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 pm

My guess would be, and it is a guess, that this way the last defence before the vital components is the OEM item which is warranted etc. In theory then if the Donaldson failed in some way it wouldn't have an impact because the OEM would still be there to do its job.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:37 pm

This has been a very interesting but frustrating read! :lol: :roll:
Why is it so hard for some people ay? :lol:
The facts are there... Each to their own for the two methods but geeezzz what a fluff about. :shock:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Now for the fith .....I like what you said...yes this threads stuck on one of those big roundabouts in Canberra..
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Yeah but why? I mean who cares? People have said what their preferences are, and the reasons etc, I don't feel a violent need to persuade anyone that they're wrong, or that I'm right or whatever. Fair enough to explore things a little and discuss etc, but I don't really get why we keep coming back to the same theme when it's clear what this particular member is going to do and he's happy with that until his warranty runs out. I mean maybe if we thought his engine would explode because he was doing something so far out that it was crazy, but all we have here is a difference of views that isn't going to hurt anyone. The information is all there in black and white for later readers to see if they want the information.

Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Why? Dave well I think this thread has gone full circle...
I think that There is nothing more to add...who cares...I do... I like to share my thoughts and knowledge.....
Others are free to do what they want and make up there own mind...
And I think I've made that clear more than one occasion here..
viking shippy

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm not trying to convince him to do anything VS. I'm just curious about how he arrived at the conclusion he did. In some ways I'm curious like a newb about these diesel related threads, given that I managed to almost completely ignore most of them for 5 years. Now I have one of those dirty rotten smelly stinky things and suddenly there is a new found thirst for knowledge and understanding. Hopefully the clarifications will help new members later when they wade through all these pages. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snowman on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:45 pm

can someone confirm the only pumping done from tank to the engine is via the injection pump?

in other words there is no low pressure pump elsewhere?

as per Tony's post there is a significant amount of bypass back to the tank, which is not unusual, from memory my old 1HZ Toyo did that with the rotary pump to provide pump cooling.

also from memory :? warranty wont cover bad fuel. i reckon a properly installed and maintained smaller micron fuel filter will not be problematic for warranty. if as i suspect the same pump is drawing (pump don't suck.....) diesel via the tank supply via the OEM filter the only consequence is probably a pump issue only.

that said we are starting to hear of a number of injector issues that are causing significant problems internally.

i placed one on my new MN. My issue is that although it has a 5 year warranty the damage may be caused initially and not come to light until after this period. so i went pro-active on poor fuel early. :D

haven't done anything with the ML yet though.....

one of the important point of pre-OEM smaller micron filters is to not ignore the replacement schedule on the EM even if it is 'theoretically' not doing anything.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:49 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Bill, I've been following this with some interest since I have a near new vehicle.

The one thing that I don't understand is your logic behind defining a supplementary filter before the factory filter as not part of the system where a supplementary filter after the factory one would be. As far as I can see, regardless of where you install an extra filter you are interfering with the standard system which starts at the fuel tank. So long as elements in both filters were changed on the specified schedule then I can't see that MMAL would have a leg to stand on in the event of a warranty claim. In fact, given that the accepted practice is to install the finer filter after the coarser one, doing it in reverse might give them greater cause to not honour a claim.

Hi 5th, the reason I've placed the 3um Donaldson filter ..before.. the OEM unit is based solely upon Bruce Evans from Donaldson Australia's warning that 'tinkering' with the Fuel Delivery 'plumbing' under the bonnet ..after.. the OEM filter ..could.. provide MAL with an opt-out on honouring any possible future warranty claim in the event of any sh*t getting into the pump or injectors as a result of me ..opening.. their OEM ..closed circuit.. fuel plumbing ..after.. their OEM filter. Now I know that in reality, all of this is really just so much 'speculation' based upon possible ..what-if.. scenarios but basically I'm just a cautious old basta*d who likes to stack the odds in ..MY.. favour, not MAL's. I would be more than happy to take them on ..in court.. if necessary if they tried to wriggle out of a warranty case where they tried to claim that my 3um 'fine' filter installed ..before.. their own 10 or 15um OEM filter was the cause of a pump / injector failure where the 3um filter had been changed ..at least as regularly.. as their own OEM unit.
Best Regards,
Bill
aka AnOldFart
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 am

I can see where you are coming from in regards to filter location and possible scenarios with MMAL.

A bit like using aftermarket oil filters and factory warranties. Any possible The "out" will be tried with the owner ping ponging between MMAL and the aftermarket filter supplier.

The onus is on MMAL to prove that the filter was responsible for taking out the fuel pump or injectors. That could prove frustrating...

Reminds me of dealing with certain govt departments with staff of moronic ability. Sometimes you have to be patient with imbeciles.

Obviously any improved filtration has to be better for reliability regardless where it is located. It is up to the owner whether they want a trade off between longer filter service life or as you say possible hassles warranty wise (which may or may not be a non-issue). I would pick the longer filter service life option myself.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:02 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:Bill, I've been following this with some interest since I have a near new vehicle.

The one thing that I don't understand is your logic behind defining a supplementary filter before the factory filter as not part of the system where a supplementary filter after the factory one would be. As far as I can see, regardless of where you install an extra filter you are interfering with the standard system which starts at the fuel tank. So long as elements in both filters were changed on the specified schedule then I can't see that MMAL would have a leg to stand on in the event of a warranty claim. In fact, given that the accepted practice is to install the finer filter after the coarser one, doing it in reverse might give them greater cause to not honour a claim.

Hi 5th, the reason I've placed the 3um Donaldson filter ..before.. the OEM unit is based solely upon Bruce Evans from Donaldson Australia's warning that 'tinkering' with the Fuel Delivery 'plumbing' under the bonnet ..after.. the OEM filter ..could.. provide MAL with an opt-out on honouring any possible future warranty claim in the event of any sh*t getting into the pump or injectors as a result of me ..opening.. their OEM ..closed circuit.. fuel plumbing ..after.. their OEM filter. Now I know that in reality, all of this is really just so much 'speculation' based upon possible ..what-if.. scenarios but basically I'm just a cautious old basta*d who likes to stack the odds in ..MY.. favour, not MAL's. I would be more than happy to take them on ..in court.. if necessary if they tried to wriggle out of a warranty case where they tried to claim that my 3um 'fine' filter installed ..before.. their own 10 or 15um OEM filter was the cause of a pump / injector failure where the 3um filter had been changed ..at least as regularly.. as their own OEM unit.
Best Regards,
Bill
aka AnOldFart

Bill,
Bruce from Donaldson is wrong! He obviously has no mechanic knowledge on the Tritons fuel delivery system, as it doesn't matter if you install the additional filter before or after the factory filter. In regards to your pump and injectors, they wont know the difference. :roll:
And if your pump or an injector failed... MMAL could still try and pin it on you for filter in front of the factory filter. ;-). But in saying that mmal wouldn't have a leg to stand in both situations. It doesn't matter! :lol: :roll:

Bill you're entitled to your opinion so let's leave it at that mate. ;-)
No need to spread any more misinformation on this subject!:mad:
Just do it your way and it will still work. Let it be. ;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Yes, I think this thread has run its' course. Thanks to all for your contributions. Closing it now.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new th

Postby dexterboy on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Want to install a second filter with glass bowel is there a preferred one or doi go with the one ARB installs the brand Diesel Care Kit
dexterboy

Postby FredSmith on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:11 pm

dexterboy wrote:Want to install a second filter with glass bowel is there a preferred one or doi go with the one ARB installs the brand Diesel Care Kit

Don't know what ARB charge but they are $365.00 on the Diesel Care website, this includes postage. I would get that one as it is the one I am getting.
I believe they do a 4 micron filter as well.
FredSmith
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 pm

dexterboy wrote:Want to install a second filter with glass bowel is there a preferred one or doi go with the one ARB installs the brand Diesel Care Kit

I'm going to assume you meant bowl as a glass bowel just doesn't bear thinking about.

I have the racor parker model. It's probably the most expensive one around but a bit cheaper in the US than here.

The important thing is to go 2 micron if you can get it. If the diesel care thing goes that fine then by all means go with that one.

Have a look here http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15934&hilit=dahl

and here: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12457&hilit=parker#p296248

Cowboy Dave

Postby dexterboy on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info yeah ARB quote $450 fitted for the Diesel Care Kit Brand.I will now check the micron rating.

Whats wrong with having the glass viewing bowl at the bottom of the filter?
dexterboy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Nothing - as long as you can see it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby dexterboy on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Never thought of that thank learning all the time .
dexterboy

Diesel Care Kit Secondary Filter

Postby dexterboy on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:49 am

Im thinking about fitting one of these as a secondary filter for water and bad fuel those who have one do they have any side affects in the way your vehicle runs after fitting.
dexterboy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:54 am

I have the racor parker and you wouldn't know it was there. Have never spotted a difference other than that I feel more relaxed about the possibility of fuel contamination.

Cowboy Dave

Postby psaunders on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted but has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RACOR-SNAPP- ... 1e93b3dc62

Looks to be a smaller unit which might help some people out if they have a cluttered engine bay.
psaunders

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:26 pm

psaunders wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted but has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RACOR-SNAPP- ... 1e93b3dc62

Looks to be a smaller unit which might help some people out if they have a cluttered engine bay.

More than likely the flow rate is too low.
L200Shogun

Postby psaunders on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:42 pm

I completely missed that :?
psaunders

Postby cheech on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:47 am

morning all does anyone have any experience with this pre filter kits
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuel-Water-S ... 3ccf5e6121
thanks
cheech

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:55 am

The listing says 30 microns. Even the genuine item is finer than that. I'm running 2 micron...

Cowboy Dave

Postby JoelN88 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:31 am

I'm running this Donaldson kit as a secondary (after the factory filter)http://donaldsontoolbox.com.au/files/2113/9114/2073/13EPP001_P903316_3_Micron_Diesel_Fuel_Kit.pdf it's a 3um and works well they also do a 11um and its only $125 with 2 filters
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
JoelN88

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems