diesel fuel leak

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

diesel fuel leak

Postby impala on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:56 pm

hi there, i have recently purchased a 2007 glxr triton. It has been back 3 times for fuel leaking from the rail, this time they are saying that the chip it cpu is making fuel pressure to high causing leak??? I bought the car from the dealer with chip already on car. Could they be right sounds suss to me??? :?:
impala

Re: diesel fuel leak

Postby hvac guy on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:59 pm

suss az the sold it like that so they have to warrent it like that.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:00 pm

if valves have been done recently like 30,60 klms then mate theres a problem take it back they should fix it :x
mad992

Postby impala on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:23 pm

cheers guys first 2 times it was leaking where the fuel line bolts to the fuel rail, washer was stuffed they say. this time its leaking from the back i couldnt see what from but the transfer case was covered in diesel. the salesman rang me today and said waiting for parts and they may have to put engine back to standard because of
modifications causing problems. It has chip it cpu, catch can, egr blank and boost controller, mods that are pretty standard on this forum and im sure everyone has no problems???

will have to post pics of the car when i get it back with bit of a intro cheers
impala

Postby gauci204 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:33 pm

I didn't think that the chip it units affect the rail pressure, only vary the timing of the injectors etc, unless of course, you have the fuel rail limit mod on it.
gauci204

Postby biggibbo on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:48 pm

impala wrote:cheers guys first 2 times it was leaking where the fuel line bolts to the fuel rail, washer was stuffed they say. this time its leaking from the back i couldnt see what from but the transfer case was covered in diesel. the salesman rang me today and said waiting for parts and they may have to put engine back to standard because of
modifications causing problems. It has chip it cpu, catch can, egr blank and boost controller, mods that are pretty standard on this forum and im sure everyone has no problems???

Wher you from and wher you buy it. Might be someone from here's old truck and you might be able to get some history off someone. Hopefully its not a blue one from WA.
biggibbo

Postby impala on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:55 pm

hi from perth WA not blue its silver i did find a clip on youtube from the previous owner il try and post it
impala

Postby Mooons on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Impala
Those utube vids were put up by spooler79
Do a shed search on spooler & see if you get a result ;)
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SecondEye on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:30 pm

I very much doubt the chip has done anything unless the previous owner has ramped up the pressure. Would have to be one of those cheaper fuel only chips. If that is the case make sure you keep it as it was sold with the vehicle. The leak at the back of the motor is likely the fuel pressure sensor leaking. If it has been tampered with it may have been run over pressure by using the disc blank method.
The fix for that is just thread sealer(glue not tape) and a shit load of torque to get the bastardo on.
If i remember right fuel pressure should top out at about 26000.
Not any leaks like that a reputable mechanic usually turfs the offending parts. To higher a pressure to stuff around with.
SecondEye

Postby impala on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:16 pm

found spooler on here but he hasnt been on since feb probly when he sold the car. i sent him a pm to see if he knows if any mods causing the leak. The chip is a chip it which ive read on this forum only changes timing and voltages? not fuel pressure?
impala

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Contact the chipit guys direct - you'll find them very helpful and knowledgeable, probably more so than your dealer.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby borngeek on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:39 am

impala wrote:cheers guys first 2 times it was leaking where the fuel line bolts to the fuel rail, washer was stuffed they say. this time its leaking from the back i couldnt see what from but the transfer case was covered in diesel. the salesman rang me today and said waiting for parts and they may have to put engine back to standard because of

Impala... Identify which line from the diagram below.
It is not impossible for a line to be damaged during the tappet service. They are actually replaced after a certain amount of remove and replaces.

In the bottom image you can see a line (highlighted in pink) that goes from the injector pump to the common rail (is the centre '5th' line into the rail. This is NEVER touched or removed to do a service and should not leak.

Each part is individually replaceable but for shits and giggles, get a torch and shine through the front suspension and you will see that line running into the injector pump. Get someone to start the car and give it constant throttle (dont over rev it just a hard idle)
If diesel is leaking around the pump area take it to a dealer and point it out. It will be under warranty and the chip has ZERO to do with it failing. It is a fault that the chip MAY have pointed out.

If it is just one of the injector lines it is likely just a tappet service gone wrong and the workshop that serviced the vehicle is responsible to rectify the work (ie. replace that particular line)
They usually can be re-seated without replacing if it is not damaged.

//It is a common excuse for dealers to point at mods to alleviate their responsibility. Take the chip off to satisfy their stupidity and tell them to fix it, then put the chip back on after. ;)

CR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby impala on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:00 am

borngeek wrote:

Impala... Identify which line from the diagram below.
It is not impossible for a line to be damaged during the tappet service. They are actually replaced after a certain amount of remove and replaces.

In the bottom image you can see a line (highlighted in pink) that goes from the injector pump to the common rail (is the centre '5th' line into the rail. This is NEVER touched or removed to do a service and should not leak.

Each part is individually replaceable but for shits and giggles, get a torch and shine through the front suspension and you will see that line running into the injector pump. Get someone to start the car and give it constant throttle (dont over rev it just a hard idle)
If diesel is leaking around the pump area take it to a dealer and point it out. It will be under warranty and the chip has ZERO to do with it failing. It is a fault that the chip MAY have pointed out.

If it is just one of the injector lines it is likely just a tappet service gone wrong and the workshop that serviced the vehicle is responsible to rectify the work (ie. replace that particular line)
They usually can be re-seated without replacing if it is not damaged.

//It is a common excuse for dealers to point at mods to alleviate their responsibility. Take the chip off to satisfy their stupidity and tell them to fix it, then put the chip back on after. ;)

CR.jpg

thanks for the info mate il go and see them on monday, they might be able to tell me were it was leaking from by then if not il have bit if a look
impala

Postby impala on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:30 pm

went and seen the dealer they replacing whole fuel rail just waiting for it to arrive. hopefully this will be the end of my diesel leaks :roll:
impala

Postby borngeek on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:52 pm

wow, that is a exxy item to fail.... and unheard of here. Probably just cutting to the chase to sort you out! :D

VERY good to hear that the dealer (and clearly MMAL) are sorting it out for you. 8-)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby impala on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:42 pm

So an update; got car back lastweek with new fuel rail all good. Noticed a little bit of black smoke when accelerating which is probly normal with diesels but wasnt there before. After 1 week it got worse i noticed if i accelerate hard the car would pull nice then all the sudden lots of smoke (i couldnt see car behind me) then loss of power, felt like turbo loses pressure? I read on the forum if the maf sensor dirty the car will smoke a bit so i bought some maf cleaner and it made no difference. Rang the dealer they said bring it in, now the car went into limp mode on the way. Any ideas? This is the fourth time ive taken car back :cry:
impala

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Suction control valve my guess
Lee-thal

Postby fridgie on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Is the chip still fitted and did they touch the boost controller?

They have probably wound the boosts back down to standard, I found mine was smoking a fair bit and my boost was too low. Wound it up a bit and the smoke went away.

Also, how clean is your air filter?
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby impala on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:35 pm

yea chip it still connected i reckon they wound boost down aswell because one of the hoses was nearly coming off the controller which i fixed up and it felt the car wasnt as powerful when i got it back. they also tried blaming mods to the car causing the fuel leak it sucks when they tamper with your car and i dont really know how to check the boost or if they messed with tunes. looks like i need a scanguage ( i love forums so much useful info)
i thought about air cleaner but car was serviced when i bought it and previous owner changed it to a k&n
impala

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:40 pm

I recon suction control valve also.. Describes it perfectly...
GLX-R Alex

Postby impala on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:23 pm

yea i searched the forum and it seems like suction control valve
impala

Postby micv on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi all,
I have a common rail fuel leak and would appreciate advice from those who might know...

I have a 2010 MN and had the 90K service done by my independent mechanic, including tappet adjustment and SQL.

Immediately after the service I noticed a significant amount of leaking diesel dripping down to the ground under the engine. The mechanic found that diesel was leaking from no.1 fuel injector pipe where it connects to the common rail. Consequently I left it with him and he said he fixed the problem by removing and cleaning the pipe from the rail, then reconnecting and tightening "as hard as he could" (without dismantling everything to get more leverage). The then said that if it happens again he would have to charge me to dismantle everything again and replace the fuel pipe with a new one.

Sure enough, it wasn't long before it was leaking again, and it leaks profusely. The mechanic is aware that the pipes have a limited life and though I told him the pipes had only been removed twice before, he accepts no responsibility for the leak at all. He is quoting me 2.5-3hours + $75 for the part.

He did not use any torque control tool because you can't fit a socket over the fuel line. Obviously he didn't not do a pressure test either as I detected the problem, not him.

So the questions are:
- should the mechanic be taking responsibility for the mishap or is it possible it is a bad pipe and just not his fault?
- is it worth going to the dealer to see if it is warranty claimable? (the occurrence started within the warranty period)
- assuming neither the mechanic or the dealer take responsibility, is it worth forking out $400 to fix it now or just wait until the next tappet adjustment is required in 30K (suffering then a 5-10% loss in economy and possible safety issue)
- is this a job I could attempt myself if I am reasonably mechanically apt? (I have done things like change my diff and CVs etc). Is the procedure documented anywhere and achievable without special tools?

many thanks.
micv

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:24 pm

thats a joke,

it wasnt leaking before, but is after he did the work,

those pipes are vital they torqued correctly, and there is a tool to torque them up,

Its on him, plain and simple!!!!
Lee-thal

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Lee-thal wrote:.....Its on him, plain and simple!!!!

X2

I can't believe this tool stuffs up then tells you that you have to pay for him to fix it.

It's f••kheads like this that give good, honest mechanics a bad name.
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Next

Return to Fuel Systems