MN Exhaust

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: MN Exhaust

Postby Jrosey on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:33 pm

I am in the process of putting all the gear I salvaged off my 2010 MN on to my current 2015 MN. I never had a limp mode due to over boost with the Scotts 3" exhaust but had a few under boost codes. While digging out the exhaust I checked the size of the flange into the dump and cat and surprisingly it is only a tad over 2" or 56mm to be exact. It then opens up after it takes the first turn to the cat, so this downsize acts as a small restriction to the flow. I was toying with idea of placing a 2 3/4" gasket at the next joint which would slow flow marginally and may help reduce the chance of overboost. I have a Chipit 215 and EGT controller with dual map set up, which is being put on at the same time, so interesting times. Need all this fitted and sorted before heading for the Kimberley's mid year.
Jrosey
Platinum Subscriber

Manta 3" exhaust

Postby chipdyball1 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:56 pm

Anyone got a manta 3" exhaust installed in their mn? Is it noticeably better?
chipdyball1

Quick question I need answered please

Postby oyamum on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:16 am

Hi guys I'm looking at buying the muffler delete pipe today. It's 2.5" from the joint back. Just wondering if it will potentially cause over boosting or any other issues?
oyamum

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:52 am

No, it's too far back to cause issues with boost.

The biggest issue is that it will make it sound like a Massey Ferguson tractor so people will push their trolleys out for you to pick up as you cruise around the supermarket car park.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Brendomanimax on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:37 am

Hi guys I have no idea about exhausts so sorry about the questions..

I've got a 2014 mn glxr and are going to get a 3" exhaust I've found the 4wd supacentre ones for around $800 and also around the same price on eBay.. Is this to cheap? Any other recommendations?
Also straight 3 or get a cat and muffler?

Cheers Brendomanimax
Brendomanimax

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:08 am

Why do you think that you need 3"? Search overboost
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:37 am

Brendomanimax wrote:Hi guys I have no idea about exhausts so sorry about the questions..

I've got a 2014 mn glxr and are going to get a 3" exhaust I've found the 4wd supacentre ones for around $800 and also around the same price on eBay.. Is this to cheap? Any other recommendations?
Also straight 3 or get a cat and muffler?

Cheers Brendomanimax

At the least a catalytic convertor and possibly a small muffler to remove some of the drone. Some places say a 2.5" dump pipe is better than a 3". The overboost link above is a good read.
L200Shogun

Postby Brendomanimax on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:34 am

I just thought that a 3" was best for improving power and economy after also installing a snorkel but now after reading all the issues with the over boost I'm not so keen anymore. I did read in a post that you can go back to mitsu and get them to change a program to help with the over post issue with a 3" but I think I'll just put it on the back burner for the minute.
Thanks for the input
Brendomanimax

Postby ag9111 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:01 am

I have always said that 3" is way to big for these small motors and 2.5 or 2.75 is the go.
Unfortunately the exhaust manufacturers have heaps of 3" lying around for the cruisers and patrols so just make them from that and tell us that's best.
You can get smaller diameter exhausts but they are expensive in comparison
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Tue May 17, 2016 5:09 pm

hi guys, I've noticed an intermittent " tinny exhaust noise " that sound like it's coming from the front somewhere, maybe turbo area? only noticed when stopped at idle with the window down, if I I tap the throttle a little it goes away, I've heard it maybe half dozen times in last couple days, doesn't sound like an exhaust leak but has me wondering what's going on, admittedly I havnt stuck my head under there yet as weather has been shit, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone's had same issue and or found the cause.
thanks
2011 mn 4x4 stock exhaust, untouched 60k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby snakesoup on Wed May 18, 2016 6:59 pm

bump

snakesoup

Postby borngeek on Thu May 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Stick your head under there. Could be as simple as a loose heat shield
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Thu May 19, 2016 5:32 pm

yeah I had a good look last night and couldn't see anything abnormal, actually didn't notice it today .. bazaar

snakesoup

Postby Maxiy on Mon May 23, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi All

Question may have been asked already, so sorry if i'm doubling up.

What are people thoughts on high flow cats? is it a good substitute in leau of doing a total exhaust upgrade, or are the benefits so little that they dont justify the cost ?

would you need to get a high flow cat + exhaust to make it worth while ?
Maxiy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 24, 2016 8:01 am

Just be aware that too much flow on an MN can lead to overboost problems.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Maxiy on Tue May 24, 2016 8:05 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Just be aware that too much flow on an MN can lead to overboost problems.

Thanks CD, i'm aware of the over boost issues, was just thinking maybe doing the CAT would give some results but not increase the flow as much as a full 3" exhaust, so possibly avoid the overboost issues.
Maxiy

Postby paddlingfool on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:48 pm

What results are you expecting? Some people seem to need to modify everything , regardless of whether it is good for anything or not.
paddlingfool

3 inch or 2 3/4 inch exhaust

Postby Four of us on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm after some advice with exhaust. I have 2014 mn manual and thinking which size exhaust to go for. I have contacted 2 different well known manufacturers and both have conflicting version of exhaust. 1 says 3' is to big and the ute may go into limp mode due to overboost issues and recommends to go 2 3/4'. The other one says that story is rubbish and I should go 3' without any issues....so now I'm confused which one to go for...what is everyone running and have they had any issues?
Four of us

Re: 3 inch or 2 3/4 inch exhaust

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:28 pm

3" does cause overboost issues and is well documented on this website if you search.
Not many 2 3/4 that i have heard of and none of them have reported issues that i am aware off

If you are seeking a big performance increase from a bigger exhaust. You will be disappointed.
A larger exhaust will only give a minor minor increase that has been documented by dyno runs.
People have reported better spooling and more power but i have never seen proof.
Put themoney towards a chip or tune. Much better value.

A larger exhaust does lower the EGT's when towing.

If you are after more noise, go for your life.

I have a noisy 3" on mine. On it when i got it 2nd hand and am looking to quiten it down as it is vetting a bit much with the km's i do
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: 3 inch or 2 3/4 inch exhaust

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm

I have a nice and quiet 3" system on mine. It does not produce any meaningful extra power (dyno proven), but did allow the turbo to spool slightly quicker before the ECU remap. Not that it really makes that much difference, as the fuelling wasn't optimised to support any increase in boost ramp.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sickd on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Hey guys I have a 2015 mn manual glx, and was looking at the 4wd super Centre berklee system, it is a
3” system tho, my main reason for an exhaust is to get rid of the heat when towing, the car regularly
Hits over 500 all the way to 600 briefly I try drive to the numbers not pushing pedal to the floor
Changing gears to suit revs, we going to aldelaide in feb and want to ge the exhaust sorted
And the system is great price from supercentre,

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/produc ... -2010.html

My car also has that inline map/mad sensor electronic module to “correct the egr” sorted from info on this site ,will this
Stop the over boosted limp mode issue ?
Sickd

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:52 pm

No.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby msrlo on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:22 pm

My boss just bought two new Colorado 4x4 diesel utes and they have a 3" exhaust standard
msrlo

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am

Sickd wrote:Hey guys I have a 2015 mn manual glx, and was looking at the 4wd super Centre berklee system.

For what it's worth, I have the Berklee system on mine (with CAT), and it never threw a code, even before the tune. The dump pipe is tapered, which may help with this.

However, as each vehicle is different, there is no guarantee that yours won't code.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:50 am

just to throw this in the mix mine over boosted stock out of mitsubishi show room stock as a rock
i have done a lot of mods to this beast to fix it
but i have now a 3" and a 100cel cat no noise as i have to mufflers on there and a remap done now i DO NOT have any over boost issues at all so it is in the tuning on the ecu maps that causes this just the 3" helps the spooling to fast and to long so the ecu goes in to a limp as it thinks the boost is running away
it is a computer it cant think for it self so this is a saftey feature just very badly mapped into the software from factory
i have no afflitations with this company

the best one i have hear of and see is the taipan exhaust look here
http://www.taipanxp.com.au/models/mitsu ... 5l-mn-ute/

from taipan
We run a 2.5inch 304 Stainless Steel (on the aluminised system the top part is 304 and the dump is then heat proof painted) Dump Pipe with 200 Cell Diesel Catalytic Convertor for these vehicles due to from factory this vehicle runs very high boost levels (18-20psi +). If we were to run a 3” Dump Pipe we would not have enough backpressure which would lead to issues with overboosting & premature turbo failure. It also allows for quicker spool up and better drivability.
We make the dump pipe from 304 Stainless Steel instead of ceramic coating due to the fact we can't ceramic coat the Catalytic Convertor as it can damage the substrate inside it.
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems