secondary diesel filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: secondary diesel filter

Postby DCDAD on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Thought I had better update this post... I did go back to the shop, had a chat with them, voiced my concerns ( and they were my re than happy to listen I might add ) , told them of what I had recently learnt , and consequently had my filter changed to Secondary ( Post Filter) and I must admit , felling better for it too...

Also ordered my EGR Module from Tony , and really looking forward to getting it.

So thankyou ( I realise these questions must get "Old" reading and replying to them all the time, but if it were not for the members here that have seen these threads 100 times or more, it would be members like me that would not be "fast tracked" into keeping up with everyone!
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby SLIMaxPower on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:42 pm

I bought this Donaldson kit

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1 ... 8%26qu%3D2

and unfortunately bought 2 extra standard filters. I have found a local supplier that has the 3 micron filters but has advised me they are too fine for PRE filters.

Not sure what to do now and how to plumb it in.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Buy some 3 micron filters and make it a secondary. That seems to be the preferred forum way.

Other places on the net put a larger than factory filter before as a primary. Has to be better than just having one factory filter. Just because a filter is say rated at 15 microns it still collects some of the particles smaller than that.

I don't see why you can't put a 3 micron as a primary. It will do all the work and the factory one will do nothing, it won't catch what get pasts the primary. Really like only having one filter but filtering to a lower level than the factory one.
Last edited by L200Shogun on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L200Shogun

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:54 pm

I assume it is to do with flow rate. In theory the finer the filter the lower the flow rate I would have thought. Some, like the racor-parker number I'm running have a 2 micron rating but are large enough that the flow rate is well over what is required.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Says 114L/h which depending where you read is enough.
http://donaldsontoolbox.com.au/files/21 ... el_Kit.pdf
L200Shogun

Postby jrs184 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Warning to everyone.....I just bought a Donaldson P902976 diesel fuel filter (cartridge numberP550588) to use as a pre-filter. Upon opening the package it looks great and just the right size for the space I have BUT..upon inspection the filter cartridge is full of paint over spray and white paint chips where the twist and empty valve at the cartridge base has chipped off the paint that has been applied to the inner thread. This means the filter cartridge, the clear inspection bowl and the black twist valve are full of paint chips. I find this absolutely crazy, isn't Donaldson a highly credentialed and experienced supplier of filters and other gear...I haven't seen any mention of this obvious quality glitch mentioned anywhere and how many have been installed on NTN triton owners vehicles where trusting purchasers have installed them without checking if they are hunky dory....The packaging is all good with shrink wrapped components to keep it all looking pristine..BUT why go to all that trouble and not put a plug in the bottom of the cartridge before the robotic sprayers attack the internals with the offending contaminant. The top of the cartridge is all fine with only bare metal and the usual 'o' ring gasket without any sign of paint, as it should be...
jrs184

Postby snakesoup on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:47 pm

holy shit!!!! this is like an epidemic !! not ideal !! not ideal at all!! I'm selling the triton tomorrow!!!!
snakesoup

Postby Tony on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:58 pm

You would be amazed what paint finds its way into these days.

I got called out to a new John Deere tractor that refused to make hydraulic pressure on second start up. Was in a very bad place I may add hence the emergency call out.

Found paint flakes in spool valves, by-pass diverter and relief valves...Not good on a 150k machine. :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jrs184 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:23 pm

post removed to relieve headaches, tried to get the info out before weekend as most of us only have limited time on weekends to fit our new gear.
Last edited by jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jrs184

Postby sydneymark on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:26 am

just as well then that in my setup the mitsu filter is in line after the donaldson :)
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jrs184 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:11 am

L200Shogun wrote:Says 114L/h which depending where you read is enough.
http://donaldsontoolbox.com.au/files/21 ... el_Kit.pdf
Last edited by jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jrs184

Postby jrs184 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:14 am

sydneymark wrote:just as well then that in my setup the mitsu filter is in line after the donaldson :)
Last edited by jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrs184

Postby jrs184 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:27 am

Tony wrote:You would be amazed what paint finds its way into these days.

I got called out to a new John Deere tractor that refused to make hydraulic pressure on second start up. Was in a very bad place I may add hence the emergency call out.

Found paint flakes in spool valves, by-pass diverter and relief valves...Not good on a 150k machine. :lol:
Last edited by jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrs184

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:05 am

This would be a good case for the replaceable cartridge type setup, at least you could see all the parts exposed to the fuel flow prior to assembly.

Putting a finer filter in front of a smaller one is foolish - the fine one will clag up in no time with coarse contaminants while the standard unit is doing bugger all.

No wait! The standard filter is there to protect your fuel system from the overpriced accessory unit. :lol:

Maybe preventative practices at the input end might be more cost effective. It would be interesting to remove the fuel tank and give it a rinse out to see what 'goodies' have accumulated.

Wipe the nozzle before sticking it into the filler - layer of diesel is a great dust collector.

Using one of those filtered funnels would have to go a long way to keeping the system cleaner.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DCDAD on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:09 am

RHKTriton wrote:Wipe the nozzle before sticking it into the filler

Whos mind went South like mine for 5 seconds? Anyone, LMAO :lol:
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:16 am

[quote="DCDAD"]Just read this online as well ...
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-ad ... e-at-risk/
also noticed that Dobinson's Guarantee is this ...."
When you buy Donaldson you can be certain that you are buying the best. Our aftermarket warranty provides cover for 1 year from installation or for the normal service interval period as stated in the equipment manufacturers service manual (whichever occurs first).The use of aftermarket filtration will not void engine & equipment manufacturers warranties."

Surely if they wish to guarantee their product, they would go longer than a year? and the last statement i think needs a bit more clarification from them...
"The use of aftermarket filtration will not void engine & equipment manufacturers warranties." :o[/quote
Last edited by jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrs184

Postby jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:22 am

sydneymark wrote:just as well then that in my setup the mitsu filter is in line after the donaldson :)
Last edited by jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrs184

Postby al coholic on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:51 pm

FFS jrs184, give it a rest mate!!
We know, you bought a filter that looks to have had paint overspray inside. You've already posted that in numerous threads about 25 times or more!!!!

You fired off an email to the company Friday night and have not even given them a chance to respond as it's a weekend.

Even if they are fully at fault with their product, no one wants to hear you whinge about it over and over again, your first post would have sufficed!!!!!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:58 pm

Now look who the cranky old man is :lol:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Have to agree though.

Enough already.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Click to view larger picture
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bodia on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Just wondering if the filters were bought from ebay and if so wonder if they are knock offs. We are seeing knock off oils around so knock off filters wouldn't be unexpected
bodia

Postby jrs184 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:06 pm

al coholic wrote:FFS jrs184, give it a rest mate!!
We know, you bought a filter that looks to have had paint overspray inside. You've already posted that in numerous threads about 25 times or more!!!!

You fired off an email to the company Friday night and have not even given them a chance to respond as it's a weekend.

Even if they are fully at fault with their product, no one wants to hear you whinge about it over and over again, your first post would have sufficed!!!!!

I figured all the people on this site don't read every post, Al, like you and I do, glad I was able to reach a few of the folk I was intending to one at a time, if I gave you a headache sorry about that, I couldn't find the 'alert' button to reach more in one shot....
jrs184

Postby Tony on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:39 pm

Can you share a photo of the paint issue? If on receiving side of a 3um or smaller filter it wont be a big problem anyway. If paint flakes are floating around and potentially find their way into the discharge then there would be cause for some concern.

It would be fitting to mention slandering a brand product on a public forum can run into legal ramifications so your best bet will be wait for a reply from the seller before going nuke on a public forum. Will save admin here a bit of work in the long run too I'd imagine ;)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Did you buy from Donaldson direct or via a reseller?
biggibbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems