Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Long range fuel tanks

Postby flappers on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 pm

hi guys im looking at a long range fuel tank for my car
couple of questions
1 who has what
2 how manny litres
3 how much did it cost
4 how does the fuel gauge work ie goes down from full or start working after half way
all input will be good
cheers
flappers

Re: Long range fuel tanks

Postby fish88 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 pm

I have an ironman tank 125l and it only cost me 700 bucks because they forgot to charge me fitting :D :D
and the needle on the fuel gauge hangs arounf full for about the first 200k then once at empty i think theres still about 10L in there
fish88

Postby VictorMN on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:57 pm

ARB do a 125l Long Ranger replacement tank for your vehicle.
$1395.50 Fitted.
Fuel gauge runs as normal
VictorMN

Postby Mooons on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 am

I have a long ranger tank and the gauge does not run as normal the top half of the tank lasts a lot longer than the lower half
Plus the tank sits about 15 mm lower than the chassis rail
Something to watch if you go off road
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GWOUD on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:42 am

long ranger tank - 125 litre. You get approx 300k's before the gauge starts to move from the full mark.
range is over 1000k's (city driving) and visits to the petrol station are twice a month. Moon's are correct with the 15mm lower than chassis rail statement, but has been in car for 2 years now and bottom of tank is still unmarked. First 4x4 trip in my old RA rodeo with Long Ranger tank fitted resulted in huge dent & loss of capacity. I like the Long Ranger tanks as there are no problems when filling!
GWOUD

Postby tritonmal on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 am

We fitted long range tanks to the tritons in the navy in the early to late 90's. The tritons back then were good old tough diesels. I know I tried everything to kill them but just couldn't. Not like today's carp! Anyway. The tanks we fitted on the gague the first half of the gague = 2/3 of the tank and the last half of the gague = the last 1/3 I the tank. Might be different today but....
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Brown davis 135l tank.
Bought second hand from a wreck for $400
Get about 350km before the needle moves off full.
Fill when the light comes on and put in roughly 115l. Have got over 100km with the fuel light on before I chickened out, cant remember how much I still had left when I filled it though.

Hangs down about 30mm below the chassis. Its taken a fair few heavy knocks and still OK
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:39 pm

I have the Opposite lock 75ltr split tank that sits above the spare tyre' runs off
the same filler neck and is gravity fed to the main tank' takes about 620k's before
i see the fuel gauge needle move on the main tank....used to get 1400 sumtin k's
out of both tanks (140ltr)......before all the mods :roll:
Cost bout $1300 sumtin + fitting
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby snowman on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Sky Miner wrote:I have the Opposite lock 75ltr split tank that sits above the spare tyre' runs off
the same filler neck and is gravity fed to the main tank' takes about 620k's before
i see the fuel gauge needle move on the main tank....used to get 1400 sumtin k's
out of both tanks (140ltr)......before all the mods :roll:
Cost bout $1300 sumtin + fitting

how far does this push your spare down miner?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritondan on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 am

i have a 130 litre tank fitted in the tub. This gives me 200l all up. Yes it takes up a little room but it suits me. I had it built so the top of the tank is a shelf for some tubs of gear. I drive about 1200km before fuel gauge moves. I can drive 2200km (from brisbane to sydney and back on one tank and have fuel lef)t OR just over 1000km with big caravan on.
Had it fitted because of the caravan. Was tired of only going 350km before the hassel of refueling.
The cost was $1100. Custom built and fitted.
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Postby drillbit7 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 am

Any chance of some pics tritondan?
I'd be very interested to see what it looks like and the shelf on top sounds like a good idea.

Cheers
Drillbit
drillbit7

Postby mamiller on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:31 am

i have a rvpoly tank fitted under a custom tray so probably not ideal for yourself with a tub but they do different models. in different shapes and sizes

Sub tank holds 125l and main is still there.
whole fuel storage system is acting as one now so sub is filled and drains into main (this is slow and am going to plumb a second filler into the main tank again or split a larger diameter fill hose off the main filler pipe to make it faster.

gauge reads full for a very long time not exactly sure distance because I have as yet not done any long trips that have required me to fill it right up and am too impatient to stand at the bowser for 45 minutes to fill it right up using a standard city diesel pump and wait for the fuel to gravity feed back into the main tank.

cost 300ish from tjm but you can source direct of the interwebs.
mamiller
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Belbrook on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 am

ignore post. just responded to wrong post.. :oops:
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby Sky Miner on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:23 pm

snowman wrote:how far does this push your spare down miner?

About this much....
Its a 265/7/16 not much room between the spring hanger & zorst but it does fit....untill
i get my 32"s then it wont fit ;)

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby desblaze on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:58 am

I did find these, not sure about the quality but its cheap. 125Lt for $685.00 plus postage

http://myava.com.au/index.php?main_page ... cts_id=199
desblaze

Postby tradieb on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi all, I'm looking at an ironman long range tank off eBay. The listing states only suitable for dual cab. Just wondering if it will fit the single cab. My thoughts are they've never fit one to a single cab so they don't list it. Unless the filler cap has to be relocated? Any thoughts?
Its nice to be important, BUT its important to be nice..
tradieb

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 am

desblaze wrote:I did find these, not sure about the quality but its cheap. 125Lt for $685.00 plus postage

http://myava.com.au/index.php?main_page ... cts_id=199

from the pics- that is an "ironman" tank, see other reviews in this thread.
that price is about what others are getting the ironman tanks for (before fitting charges)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby srb on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 am

tradieb wrote:Hi all, I'm looking at an ironman long range tank off eBay. The listing states only suitable for dual cab. Just wondering if it will fit the single cab. My thoughts are they've never fit one to a single cab so they don't list it. Unless the filler cap has to be relocated? Any thoughts?

Just a thought mate, I notice you have an alloy tray... Just buy a 60l polly tank and mount under your tray to feed into your main tank. Way cheaper than longrange tank. ;) There's a pic on it in my 'updated' build thread. ;) viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9790
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kcdusk on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:03 am

Guys
Replacing a 75 litre tank with a 125 liter tank for about a thousand bucks, seems like an expensive way to gain 50 litres.

Has anyone kept the 75 litre tank and ADDED a 125 litre tank (for a total of 200 liters) which seems more bang for your buck (I dont mind spending about $1,000 to get an additional 125 liters or so). This is what i am looking to do, but am not sure if it will work. I'd look to put the 125 liter tank on the drivers side but am not sure if the exhaust will be in the way.
kcdusk

Postby snowman on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:13 am

mate the exhaust runs right through that area so you wont get a tank on that side. certainly not that size anyway.

if you don't want to replace the OEM there is an above the spare tyre tank.

i try and find the link.

edit/// http://www.dolium.com.au/Retail_Catalogue/FTM95aux_item.html?ref_cat_id=Fuel_Stainless_Steel

also distributed by opposite lock i think.

otherwise i think they are your only two options on 'off the shelf' extra fuel. unless of course you go something above the tub/tray.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kcdusk on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:45 am

Hmmmm. I already have a 100 amp battery under (above) my spare tyre. Drops it maybe 15mm, the spare still sits pretty high (no worse than srbs picture). So that option is out.

I'm not keen on having a tank in the tray either, i might as well carry Jerry cans in there (cheaper and more flexible in that you can take them out when not in use).

I'll keep thinking though.
kcdusk

Postby MORTON5000 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 am

Looking at investing in this
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=251120828366&index=18&nav=SEARCH&nid=94959346079
Has anyone fitted a second tank themselves and can offer any pointers or point me toward how to fit.
I am fairly sure I have enough room under my tray
MORTON5000

Postby gpx on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 am

Realise this discussion has been dormant for a while:
I fitted a Long Ranger 125l replacement to a manual MN single tray back. Guage drops faster between 1/2 and empty than from full to 1/2 but its just a matter of getting accustomed. I can get about 900ks to a tank fairly easily with a mix of weight carrying highway/ city/ and 4x4 farm work.

After 30k quite rough ks no problems with dints and it fills easily which I appreciate greatly. It looks and feels very solid. The real benefit is not having to fill up every second day as I do a lot of ks. Cheap Mitsubishi fuel cap leaked through the key barrel and was replaced under warranty.

Certainly will get another Long ranger in the next truck.

George
gpx

Postby Greg Cairns on Wed May 01, 2013 6:36 pm

I am just about to order a Poly tank made to fit between the wheel arch's. It will give me about 118L of extra fuel. I am having it so i can remove it when not on a long trip. I am going to have to syphon it to the main but i am happy with having to do that. Total cost $770.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"If you desire peace prepare for war"
Greg Cairns

Postby vol on Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Is that poly tank from the mob in bundy. I was thinking about doing the same. Depending on how good a moulding it is
vol

Next

Return to Fuel Systems