How to replace fuel filter?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

How to replace fuel filter?

Postby ExRevHead on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Can someone give me a run down on changing the fuel filter on my PB Challenger. Tried a search but didnt come up with much. Thank you, Macca.
ExRevHead

Re: How to replace fuel filter?

Postby Tony on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 am

Unbolt the filter housing and lift it up, if you still cant get it undone, stick the housing in a vice and give it some.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ExRevHead on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks fellas... Changed it this morning and it was a lot easier than I first thought. Run a lot better now!!
ExRevHead

Postby cnswilly on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 am

Yeah i had to do the same in mine and its much better now with a new filter. Its easy one you know how. I was lucky to get a copy of a workshop manual for an MN triton. Might take photo's next time and post if people want?
cnswilly

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 am

Where you get the MN manual from? Are you sure it's an MN and not an ML. In your oil post you mentioned LSD-didn't know MN had an LSD. Is it the 3.2 or 2.5 engine?
biggibbo

Postby Mesiah on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 pm

biggibbo wrote:Where you get the MN manual from? Are you sure it's an MN and not an ML. In your oil post you mentioned LSD-didn't know MN had an LSD. Is it the 3.2 or 2.5 engine?

according to my owners book it says that it has an LSD
Hello

From Chris and SHOT GUN
Mesiah
Mesiah

Postby fraz91 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 pm

The early MN GLX's had the LSD as the ASC/TC was an optional extra. Kegsy's GLX MN has the factory LSD in it, no TC on his though. ASC/TC was brought in across the range in the MY11 or MY12 I believe.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Mesiah on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 pm

fraz91 wrote:The early MN GLX's had the LSD as the ASC/TC was an optional extra. Kegsy's GLX MN has the factory LSD in it, no TC on his though. ASC/TC was brought in across the range in the MY11 or MY12 I believe.

so from this post i take it if you truck has traction control which mine does glxr 2012 model then it doesnt have LSD is this corect ?
Hello

From Chris and SHOT GUN
Mesiah
Mesiah

Postby cnswilly on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:30 pm

Yeah biggibbo, I have the factory LSD its is also maked on the diff it has an lsd plus the two lines in the grass at home... WHOOPS. It is a Cab chassis GLX and the 2.5 TD 4D56HP engine. I will have to find the manual i have it at home as a zip file i believe i will try find it and repost somewhere.
cnswilly

Postby cnswilly on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm

Mesiah, Have a look at the rear diff. It will say on it Hybrid LSD if it is a LSD. But from what i understand no it will be the open diff if you didnt go the factory locker.
cnswilly

Postby Mesiah on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

cnswilly wrote:Yeah biggibbo, I have the factory LSD its is also maked on the diff it has an lsd plus the two lines in the grass at home... WHOOPS. It is a Cab chassis GLX and the 2.5 TD 4D56HP engine. I will have to find the manual i have it at home as a zip file i believe i will try find it and repost somewhere.

that would be great if you could i would love a copy
Hello

From Chris and SHOT GUN
Mesiah
Mesiah

Postby Mesiah on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

cnswilly wrote:Mesiah, Have a look at the rear diff. It will say on it Hybrid LSD if it is a LSD. But from what i understand no it will be the open diff if you didnt go the factory locker.

thanks i will check it out
Hello

From Chris and SHOT GUN
Mesiah
Mesiah

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm

i would love a copy also :)
biggibbo

Postby cnswilly on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi Guys,

This is the UK version and its the same engine i believe well a very good lot of info.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n2ca39
cnswilly

Postby Brett05 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 pm

Just something to make note of...if the Challenger's filter is in the same place as the Triton. Unbolt the filter housing and turn it upside down, put it back on the studs and undo the filter from there....so much easier.. :)
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby alford on Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 pm

hi guys,

just wondering how difficult it is to change the fuel filter on an ML triton? and do i have to prime the thing when changed and if so how do i know how many times i heve to push this plunger? :? i am not very familiar with the process and dont want to damage the pump etc. (i too am having a choking reaction anywhere around 3k rpm in any gear) thought i'd start with the fuel filter first, new air filter on already... was quoted 85 bucks for a fuel filter in auto barn, :( am not exactly the richest of people unfortunately :( :( :(
alford

Postby cnswilly on Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 am

Yes you will have to prime your pump if you remove the fuel filter. I have an MN but should be very much the same. You can get a new filter for about 60 from supercheap. But try Mitsi direct they are very good on prices for filters also or try Bursons. Let you fingers do the walking.

When you remove your filter and replace it there is a little blot on the side of the plunger. That is the drain for when you prime. You need to pump this till there is fuel flowing from it. It will take some time just make sure you get a good flow and no air squirting with it. The whole job should only take 15min for your first time maybe 20.

85 is excessive i think. Someone with an ML will answer soon i hope but i would believe it is much the same process as the MN.
cnswilly

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 09, 2013 12:21 pm

I paid $62 for the last genuine fuel filter I bought.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby TheEscapist on Thu May 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I paid $62 for the last genuine fuel filter I bought.

Doh!! :shock: :(

I paid $82 from super cheap a couple of weeks ago... Just figured genuine would be more expensive.... :oops: And I didnt have the time to be shopping around... :roll:

I did mine, never worked on a diesel before so had littel idea of priming and so forth. I have changed one or two fuel filters in my time though. Only took me 20 -25 mins (including cleaning up afterwards!!) ;)
TheEscapist

Postby borngeek on Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 pm

cnswilly wrote:Yes you will have to prime your pump if you remove the fuel filter. I have an MN but should be very much the same. You can get a new filter for about 60 from supercheap. But try Mitsi direct they are very good on prices for filters also or try Bursons. Let you fingers do the walking.

When you remove your filter and replace it there is a little blot on the side of the plunger. That is the drain for when you prime. You need to pump this till there is fuel flowing from it. It will take some time just make sure you get a good flow and no air squirting with it. The whole job should only take 15min for your first time maybe 20.

85 is excessive i think. Someone with an ML will answer soon i hope but i would believe it is much the same process as the MN.

Exact same fuel filter config on the ML. MN's just copied it. :lol:

I do not bother with that bleed thing. Just keep pumping the primer till it stiffens up and start it and let idle for a couple minutes (don't drive or rev it).
IF it stalls prime and start again and off you go. ;)

//
12mm socket, a old rag/towel underneath to catch dribbling diesel and to grip the filter.
A set of multigrips or big shifter to remove the water sensor from the bottom. (do this after draining the diesel from the filter after you get it off the car - unless you like diesel all over you?)

I only do the water sensor hand tight as poss (no tools) to make easier for next time. Some people do them psycho tight.

Refit filter to housing, again not going mental and make it too tight. Finger tight and nip it a little. :lol:
Put 2 nuts back on and tighten well. Prime per above, start & idle 2 mins. Road test. Check nothing is leaking, and retention two nuts.
There you go.
:geek:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alford on Sun May 12, 2013 7:02 pm

thank you very much guys, much appreciated, i thought i had posted this once, bit unfamiliar as I'm new to the (awesome) site, must have pressed the wrong button probably... :D
alford

Postby alford on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:27 pm

guys, thank you very much for your words of wisdom, I went to my mitsi dealer and told him of my problem, the service guy was really helpful, sorted me out a fuel filter with discount.
I was very reluctant to start the job but plodded on and kept everything nice and tidy, and before you know it the new filter was on, water level switch was on, hoses on, primed and bleeded (or is it bled :) ) and now i have got my baby back!! :D :D :D absolutely over the moon! was worried that the surging at around 2,800-3,000 rpm was the pump and allsorts, simple fuel filter change, now i got plenty of torque and power right through the rev range...
happy is an understatement!! I may have picked up some slightly dirty fuel along the way somewhere and it had clogged the old filter right up the ying yang!
alford

Postby JakeMN on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi guys, I must be missing something really obvious here as I can't find any answers to this. How exactly do you depressurize the fuel system in order to change the fuel filter on the MN Triton? On my previous cars, was simply disconnecting a electrical plug for the fuel pump normally found under the rear seat and running the car until it died. Is it a fuse removal or something else blindingly obvious? Cheers.
JakeMN

Postby srb on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Nar mate its all on the low pressure side of the pump. ;-). Just rip it off and replace. Then use the primer pump on the top before you turn the key. ;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:44 pm

That's the 3rd time this week I've seen people worried about the fuel system being dangerously pressurised. Obviously stay away from the rail when it's running but once it's off I wouldn't be too worried about any of that.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Next

Return to Fuel Systems