Winter and Alpine Diesel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Winter and Alpine Diesel

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:38 pm

Yep, just the required coolant changes as per the service book. Also for those from warmer climes who may have changed coolant to one which may not have the necessary anti-freeze capability.

Chains aren't required for 4WDs but NPWS & RMS do recommend that they be carried. On the road from Adaminaby to Mt Selwyn they're unlikely to be needed so most don't bother. Just watch for the black ice as you go around the mountain up from Adaminaby.

Selwyn is a great spot for kids and learners - nice gentle slopes. Hire your gear before you get there too. Put the kids into a class and watch them ski like pros an hour later. Good spot.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Winter and Alpine Diesel

Postby jonb1760 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Hey guys,
Have lived and worked in Jindabyne for about 12 years. I drive an 08 triton for work and a 2011 glx-r for home.

I was told a couple of years ago that the alpine mix was no longer mixed and delivered from the refinery but left up to each servo to do.?? Might explain 200 cars stuck at Hotham if someone didn't make up a mix.

Also in winter we try to keep at least a half a tank, where possible, in the tank over night. with the alpine mix this avoids a 'frozen diesel'. Though every year the first really big cold snap catches some of us out, or the servos havent started making the mixes yet and you see them all lined up on the side of the road.

Has only happened to me once in about 09 i had been working in Bega and filled up down there. I had a half a tank but didn't give thought to where I purchased it. Got a couple of Klms out of town next morn and pulled up on the first uphill. Temp was about -8.
It was the coldest I have ever been at about 5:30 . In the dark pretty scary. Had to walk up a hill in a paddock to get reception and call a mate to come get me. He brought a diesel generator to run some heat guns. Couldn't start that either so we just locked her up and came back after lunch.

At work we have a both light and heavy fleet and it is very rare that someone gets frozen.
jonb1760

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems