Winter and Alpine Diesel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Winter diesel in NSW is late this year??

Postby gpx on Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm

The oil companies have a schedule that they are supposed to follow that informs them what cloud point diesel to supply in what month to what area. But I suspect production volumes may play some part to distort the distribution process.

Dont often see winter diesel signs on pumps in NSW; sound good to me though.

Since I posted this, its been unseasonally warm; hasn't dropped below 3 C. Sub-tropical even.
gpx

Postby Crash486 on Fri May 31, 2013 6:09 pm

Just to stay on topic - never seen a winter diesel sign but I want heated wing mirrors, either that or external cameras like next gen triton
Crash486

Postby Crash486 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:02 am

Can anyone recommend a winter additive ? Google brought up Artic Defence pdf -> http://www.trubluoil.com.au/images/stor ... _email.pdf
Crash486

Postby geoduck on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:01 am

Our diesel has an anti-waxing agent in it, for the winter. It is usually a different colour too.
geoduck

Postby Jimboz on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am

ICEBREAKER DIESEL ANTI-GEL

IceBreaker eliminates fuel freezing problems by reducing the diesel fuel’s cold temperature gel point.

It is ideal for all diesel fueled commercial transports, heavy vehicles, rural and agriculture equipment and recreational 4WD’s where exposed to cold climates and freezing temperatures.

IceBreaker minimises harmful emissions, improves fuel economy & boosts engine power.

Testing in accordance with method IP15 have proven the following:
Dilution Rate 1:500, pour point achieved –29°C
Dilution Rate 1:1000, pour point achieved –21°C
Dilution Rate 1:2000, pour point achieved –13°C
NOTE: Dilution Rate 1:1000 is preferred

IceBreaker conditions diesel fuel and allows a cleaner, more efficient combustion resulting in increased power.

AVAILABLE IN 1000L, 200L, 20L, 5L, 1L & 250ML

For more information call Western Oil : (03) 9311 1646

Sorry, the pictures did not copy....Jim
Jimboz

Postby Crash486 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks I'll check it out.
Crash486

Postby M.Bas on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:11 am

Crash486 wrote:How do they cope in Europe etc with l200's. Maybe that was the heater system that one of the recent members mentioned in his post.

In Europe we don't have to use any additives in the winter, the diesel over here has a different mixture during winter that prevents it from waxing.
My Webasto heater doesn't heat the diesel, it only warms up the cooling liquid and turns on the blower so the interior also warms up.
I didn't had any problems running/starting the L200 at -20C. :D

Edit: And just to make it even better, I also have heated mirrors , heated seats and the automatic airco/climate control. :lol:
If you guys tell me where to look for cableharnesses I might be able to take some pictures of how everything is wired on my car.
M.Bas

Postby MPGGLX-R on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:49 am

gpx wrote:I have lived in the Snowy Mounains for the last 13 years and this is the first year I have had fuel waxing problems. Happened to the MN Triton on the weekend and to the tractor last week so I am suspecting the Caltex diesel fuel i use. Not really much colder this year than any previous years.

If your travelling this area you may want to be aware of this but rest assured:
It needs to be a good -3 C or lower for more than 3 or 4 hours to be a problem, and the vehicle would need to be sitting outside for more than 24 hours.

I have seen people in Russia build a fire under the fuel tank to warm the fuel; I am not there yet but don't push me Caltex!

Hi mate

When I purchased my GLX-R this year the very first thing the service department told me was not to use Caltex fuel as apparently Mitsubishi doesn't recommend it especially in SE QLD. Now I realise you're in the Snowy Mountains but I'm wondering if this maybe another point too???? I can certainly see your issue though especially if that's the only diesel available to you in your area or your a primary producer and have it delivered to your door. Maybe Lee-thal might be able to answer that a little more???
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:16 am

^^ I think you will find that was one person's opinion, not that of Mitsubishi. You would find it quickly in the federal court, if that were the case... Companies like Caltex would not take kindly to an opinion like that. ;)

===

Of our four major brands, how many refineries are left? Not many, and they are closing them, to make way for import terminals. We do not have production capacity to satisfy demand in Australia any more. So fact is a lot of our fuel going into our cars is imported. From the same suppliers...

Tanker shows up.. 1million litres for shell - there you go, 1 million for BP - there you go, 1million for the next, the dregs for independents - there you go.. same hose!

"Refineries" in AU:
Shell = Clyde, import terminal. Geelong, closing.
Mobil = Altona
Caltex = Kernell, closing -converting to import terminal & Lytton
BP= Kwinana & Bulwer Island..
^^ maybe missed some here, going off memory...

I do not even consider the brand, I just get fuel when I need it. Sometimes I get a bad tank, but that has happened for each brand not a specific one. This also happens with petroleum as much as distillate.

Some stations do not necessarily source from the brand that is on their bowsers... There are many import distributors popping up and supplying fuel. They do not tell them where they get it from. You reckon Shell tells their station owners where overseas they are importing the fuel from? No they wont. As far as the owner thinks a shell truck showed up.. Its shell. :roll: :lol:

If possible I look for modern stations, who hopefully, have better monitoring and filtration technology and maintenance. Again this has not always worked for me. So I installed a secondary filter as a precaution. ;)

//Back to "winter diesel" - there are hotlines for the 4 majors where you can simply ask them this question, so that you can source it... They have access to where they supply that are accurate, they also can escalate to technical and give you the correct information. Clearly living in the Snowy mountains in winter makes it critical.

Building a fire under your tank is not really the recommended workaround. :shock: :lol: So make a call and find out! :geek:

BP: 1300 130 027
CALTEX: 1800 240 398
SHELL: 13 16 18
MOBIL: 1800 033 863
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MPGGLX-R on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:01 am

I'm with you borngeek on building a fire under your fuel tank, as I think your insurance company may have a slight issue with this including the 4th July :lol:

I think the gent at the dealership said the issue with Caltex fuel in SE QLD and Mitsubishi recommended not to use it as it was low sulphur issues and they had to fix numerous engine problems under warranty. I can't recall exactly what the gent said but I know my wife and I took particular notice of it. I will ask this gent again though and make sure I find out why he said that comment.
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 am

Yes, there were some issues with Caltex fuel prematurely blocking fuel filters, but touch wood for the last 6 months we have not had any issues with it, no engine damage just replaced a filter and off you go.

Caltex did investigate it and on more than one occasion we sent samples away for analysis,
we never got given 100% answers though, but the problem disapeared.

hope that clears it up a little

cheers Lee
Lee-thal

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:35 pm

I can recall one of the diesel mechanic joints (berrima diesel maybe? Can't really remember) that does the Q&A type threads in one of the 4wd magazines saying that in their experience the caltex vortex diesel ran slightly hotter than other fuels and they had stopped using it for that reason. Hard to know what that would be down to but it rang enough alarm bells for me that I switched fuels just in case.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Crash486 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:12 pm

M.Bas wrote:
Crash486 wrote:How do they cope in Europe etc with l200's. Maybe that was the heater system that one of the recent members mentioned in his post.

Edit: And just to make it even better, I also have heated mirrors , heated seats and the automatic airco/climate control. :lol:
If you guys tell me where to look for cableharnesses I might be able to take some pictures of how everything is wired on my car.

Thanks for the offer M.Bas but I'll guarantee that the entire loom is different . I'll just have to win the lottery and buy a European triton since Mitsubishi can't be bothered to offer useful options.
Crash486

Alpine diesel & triton

Postby asha31 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:10 am

G'day, first time post, just thought i'd pass on some useful information... (maybe for some)

I spend a fair bit of time in the alpine environment during the winter months, on Monday the triton was parked up at Mt Hotham for the day with a tank full of alpine diesel, blizzard conditions, nothing unusual -10 winchill blowing straight into the nose of the car, snowboarded all day, then went to start the ute up at about 4pm, all frozen up! Apparently the "Alpine/ Winter" mix of diesel available is very unreliable at the moment. Hitched a ride on a flatbed to their shed near Dinner Plain & the RACV sorted me with big heaters, i used my compressor to blast air through he fuel line to clear the glug. All good and drove home. Also the Navara with me was frozen too!

Ive been put onto
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/displa ... 8&loc=show

All the snow ploughs/equipment use it, the mechanics who sorted me out reckons that unlike other additives available this is the safest as you cannot add to much, and they frequently do double doses!

In short you cannot trust the alpine fuel anymore. Ive never had an issue before and the triton has been parked in some pretty extreme conditions. over 200 diesel cars stuck at Hotham over the last week. Just something to consider... if you don't want to get stuck. I'll be using alpine mix diesel and this stuff when its really cold. Cheers Adam
asha31

Re: Alpine diesel & triton

Postby GLR2012 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14 am

Interesting thanks for that mate. It would have been helpful out at Stanthorpe this morning on the 21/8/2013 a mate of mine is out there and it was -7 this morning but with th me breeze he recons close to -10.
GLR2012

Postby lachiem on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:27 pm

S**t i lucked out at falls the other day, I was safe running a half tank of alpine fuel from Mt beauty though.
Thanks for that mate I'll try and pick some up before I head up this weekend.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby Golden ML on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Where do you buy it from?
Golden ML

Postby jamesb_bau on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm

here a link i just found...

http://www.lucasoil.com.au/contacts-retailers

Rob
jamesb_bau

Re: Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new th

Postby JeepChallenger on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi guys,

Little query about cold climate driving. First time I owned a diesel car. Its a new Challenger done 500 Km only. We r leaving for Mt Selwyn in a couple of days. It is expected to hit -4 C during the nights. What precautions do I need to take so I dont have any problems with starting next morning. I will be filling up the tank once I get there and keep the tank full overnight as suggested from another forum.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Mani
JeepChallenger

Re: Winter and Alpine Diesel

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Have a read through the preceding posts. Also check out this topic.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Kegsy on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:17 pm

I did quite a few trips to the snow with the triton when I had it (MN).

Never an issue mate. All I did was fill up with the alpine diesel when close by and thats it.

Just make sure you idle her for a little to warm it up before setting off, it will be a real dog for the first little bit until the temps come up.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Agreed. We've already been down to-5C and looks like some -6C nights coming this week. :o

If you're coming from other areas then plan on filling the tank once you get into the Alpine region (from Canberra if coming from the north, don't know about Vic.). Alpine diesel has been around for some weeks now. Ensure that your cooling system has had the required coolant changes and that they've used the correct coolant. New wiper blades help, too.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby JeepChallenger on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks a lot guys..... Thanks admin for directing me to the right thread.......
JeepChallenger

Postby Pauly_t on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm also heading to Mt Selwyn in a weeks time. Staying at Adaminaby. Kid friendly place as I understand it so it should be fine for Mum and Dad as well.

What are the "required coolant changes" that NowForThe5th spoke of ?

What are people's experiences regarding snow chains in that neck of the woods ?

Paul
Pauly_t

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:25 pm

I assume he means coolant changed in accordance with the service specs. The standard Triton coolant has anti-freeze properties that should be well beyond what you'll experience up there.

My understanding was that for a 4wd you aren't required to carry chains at all? I guess that's a different proposition to whether you might need them.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems