MN triton - Fuel economy issues

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: MN triton - Fuel economy issues

Postby todd.brenda on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:13 pm

Fair Dinkum! If your after fuel economy by a VW GOLF!!
COZ any thing with 2 diffs,2 gearboxs,bulbar and 33"tyres and the aerodynamics of a BRICKSHITHOUSE isnt worryied about how much fuel it uses!!EVER! :o :o :o
todd.brenda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

todd.brenda wrote:Fair Dinkum! If your after fuel economy by a VW GOLF!!
COZ any thing with 2 diffs,2 gearboxs,bulbar and 33"tyres and the aerodynamics of a BRICKSHITHOUSE isnt worryied about how much fuel it uses!!EVER! :o :o :o

That's saying it bluntly!

Fair enough, to a point, but Mitsy claim pretty good mileage and car manufacturers these days are pretty keen on promoting their economy figures as part of the sales campaign.

So, economy is a factor now, even in 2.2ish ton rigs that don't have a particularly good drag coefficient ....
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sweeper05 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:29 pm

I have a 2012 GLR dual cab manual first registered April 2013 with standard factory Bridgestones and for my first 4 tanks I averaged 7.8L per 100k combined town/highway, driving fairly conservatively i.e. not using a/c, not towing, minimal load.
sweeper05

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:49 am

Mine is stock, except for canopy and towbar (and EGR blank). If anything, you would think that the canopy aerodynamics would improve the economy :?:

Over 5000km of mixed hwy and suburban use, mine averages 9.8L/100km. I could do better, but I like to use the go pedal once in a while :D . Bottom line is; the fuel consumption claims were a deciding factor in my purchase and Mitsi claim 9.1L/100km for the GLX in their simulated testing. I'm getting close to that in the real world, so I'm happy with the economy.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:50 am

odie602r wrote:Fair enough, to a point, but Mitsy claim pretty good mileage and car manufacturers these days are pretty keen on promoting their economy figures as part of the sales campaign.

So, economy is a factor now, even in 2.2ish ton rigs that don't have a particularly good drag coefficient ....

Good point. I'm pleased you mentioned this. I dared bring up the same point last year and was howled down by someone who got fair up me and was being bloody rude in the process. I LOVE my Triton but also felt that the fuel economy was misleading. Also for the record, I have found that our work ute Club Cab that was the concern at the time really seemed to improve after the 15,000km service. It went from using 11.5L/100km down to near 10L/100km which I am more than happy with
Brent1

Postby rutters on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:46 am

Their are only 2 things I do not like about my Triton. The first is that the cup holders are good as useless as hardly anything fits into them, yes minor but frustrating.

Fuel economy, I have an auto, and I have never got below 10.5L/100 stock, and currently 12.0l/100 is the driving very conservativel around town, struggle to get 13l/100, generally 14l/100 on the HWY. Living in the kimberly, this left me with two options, carry jerry cans every time i go camping or long range tank (tank installed). This vehicle due to its fuel economy is not a touring vehicle. For 2 years I tried to work with Mitsi, giving fuel economy etc, no joy, they are not interested. I have never had a car/ute that the fuel economy is worst on the HWY compared to town driving regardless of driving style you adopt.
rutters

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Fuel economy on the highway tends to depend a lot on speed. Most find that over 120 they're thirsty but under 100 they're pretty frugal. Do you run a higher tyre pressure for long highway runs? For comfort I tend to run around 36 day to day urban sort of driving but if I was going to drive Sydney to Melbourne I might run 40 psi or so.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby macca002 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Fuel economy on the highway tends to depend a lot on speed. Most find that over 120 they're thirsty but under 100 they're pretty frugal. Do you run a higher tyre pressure for long highway runs? For comfort I tend to run around 36 day to day urban sort of driving but if I was going to drive Sydney to Melbourne I might run 40 psi or so.

Agreed. The Triton gets pretty thirsty sitting on 130-140km/hr on the highway. It does sit on it comfortably though.

I usually sit on 110 unless there is a bit of a convoy starting to catch up behind me, then I will step it back up to 130/140 until an overtaking lane comes around, then drop back slowly to 110.
macca002

Postby iamsimon on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Yer my Mn auto singlecab seems a little thirsty too. I'd tend to agree that sometimes it seems worse on the freeway, especially if its a 110kph zone. Just feels like it needs another gear for cruising at speed!

This is whats making me apprehensive about changing my stock cheese cutter tyres which are already a ton smaller than the glrx standards.
iamsimon

Postby gaspode on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:28 pm

I've got 77000kms on my manual GLXR (2000kms on the new engine), standard size tyres but AT's at 40 psi, 3 inch exhaust and a Tunit mod chip and a 2 inch lift. I carry 200+kg of tools and equipmet at all times and do a mixture of city/country driving (40 city, 60 country). Prior to getting my mods, I was averaging 10.5 to be 11 litres per 100kms. With mods, I average 9.4 to 10 liters per 100. I don't drive it like Miss Daisy nor do I drive like Fangio. Compaired to the Hilux's, BT50's, Navara's ( D4 and V6) and Rangers that my company runs, it's better than some (Hilux and Navara's) and equal to the others. Since I got my mods, it's been running better than all of them.

I bought my Triton for work as it can get me to where I need to go with the gear I need to do my job and is very comfortable in doing this. Not fuel economy. As todd.brenda said "if you want fuel economy buy a VW Golf". While it sucks that some people get worse figures than others the point i am trying to make is what did you buy your Triton for and is it doing that task for you.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

MN triton - Fuel economy issues

Postby Brent1 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:36 pm

I bought mine based on price, warranty, looks AND advertised fuel economy figures. I didn't know anyone who had one to compare the real life figures and evaluated all the major players on their advertised figures as that is all I could base it on. I have no doubt they are all pulling our legs but would really prefer more transparency that all the manufacturers have to abide by so we know the conditions and can compare it to our own driving styles. Once again I love my Triton but I think it is a very valid point that people make about the fuel figures being so far out of kilter with the advertised ones - it might not matter to some people if they only do regular driving but in our business we use thousands and thousands of litres of the stuff so I want to know when I purchase another vehicle what it is going to add to our bills. And if I didn't need a work ute then I would definitely have a golf - now if Mitsubishi could get a one tonne work ute that had Golf economy figures then i'd have another right now!
Brent1

Postby AussieTriton on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm

If you are concerned about fuel consumption, you should buy a manual Triton, not an auto. No matter the engine mods to improve fuel economy, the auto will always soak up power and cost fuel mileage. Speeding, driving habits and maintainance all contribute to fuel usage. I AVERAGE 8.5L per 100 km around town. This weekend, I'll get to see what highway mileage I get on a trip to Melb and compare. :mrgreen:
AussieTriton

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14 am

I think the way the manufactures sell their fuel economy figures is pretty transparent, even if they provide unrealistic results.

Each vehicle is put thru the same test and conditions. While the numbers they produce r usually very low, the comparison between them is relatively fair.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:18 am

MN has just risen too 14l p 100 was 12.5-11.5
Mmm will wait and see.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:36 am

Gee that's a size able leap?! Hopefully just a one off...
Brent1

Postby Brent1 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:37 am

I've since spoken to a mate who has a Navara and he said his is very thirsty. Also a Hilux fellow told me his likes the juice too
Brent1

Postby alpine triton on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Before I got the suspension lift and 265 MT's on my MN triton I was getting around the 9.5 -10L per 100 mark, that was with front and rear bars, winch, canopy and roof rack. Post the lift and tyres on a recent day trip in the Vic high country which was 50% tarmac, 25% dirt roads and 25% harder 4x4 tracks I got 12.5L per 100k's for a 400km round trip.
Fuel consumption has been very consistent at 12-12.5 L per 100 since the lift and tyres were added and most of my driving is on hilly roads.
I'm pretty pleased with that, as the 4.2TD patrol that I had was around the 15 mark on road and anything up to 20 off road.
Adam
alpine triton

Postby lachiem on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I moved up from a 2003 forester to 2013 GLX DC Man, and I to be honest fuel economy wasnt a massive selling point to me.
It is bringing a massive grin to my face every time I fill up though. In the forester I was getting around 10.5L/100KM, in the Triton I'm getting roughly 9L/100km.
Thats mostly around town on the commute. Highway is just over 8. :D
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby trumpy955 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Mines usually between in the 9's but that's with lift, roof racks, bullbar, awning. Sometimes high 8's , usually closer to high 9's low 10's with 32" muddies on
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby FredSmith on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:23 pm

I have read alot about fuel economy her and there seams to be a great deal of variance between cars, drivers, mods etc. I bought my GLX auto mid June with the indicated fuel figures of 9.1 litres per 100 kms. Sweet I thought 8-) :D , BUT, I have never made these figures. :cry: :roll: . The closest is 9.3 litres per 100 kms. BUT the fuel economy has never exceed 10.1, and this is only when I bought the Sprint Booster and was dragging every-thing at the stop lights :lol: :lol: :lol: . I have kept records of every cost of the mighty Triton, just for my self indulgence, ( and to Justify my mods to "she who must be obeyed" :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
On the weekend trip to Teewah beach with the NewTritron crew, the car was weighed down with camping gear etc. I had a roof rack and wire basket , it was loaded, and the tub was level with the top of it. I think about 300 kgs of gear all up. Now I dont drive like a "old woman" :lol: :lol: and I dont drive like a "dickhead " :roll: :roll: either, and still averaged around 9.8 liters per 100 kms. 8-) 8-) .
If I wanted to get fuel economy, as a earlier post hinted, buy something else, I bought mine to replace an old mazda B2600. It , has so far, exceeded the old girl's capabilities, although the standard suspension on the Mazda is far superior ( IMHO). :roll: :roll:
FredSmith
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MilkmanDan on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Thought is throw my 2c in.

I have just bought a MY10 with 86k, manual and stock as a rock. I do mixed driving during the week to and from work and average mid 8s off a full fill, I can narrow this down in a month as I've started using an app to track costs.

Interestingly speaking of previous posts I noticed that with the large difference in the speed readout from dash to gps actual the fuel average jumps into the high 9s whilst on the highway if you do 'actual' 110kph on the GPS (around 116-118 on dash), drop back down to speedo indicated 110kph and average goes back down to low 9s. Did this on a trip to Mildura and had the time to do my test.

These things could do with a 6th gear
MilkmanDan

Varying Fuel economy

Postby Dinosaur on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi all

Towing the van towards Hay on really flat country, I got 16 ltr / 100km.
Found that with overdrive ON and @ 100 km /hr was getting the same economy
as 90km hr with overdrive off. Turbo seemed to be mostly on at 90 k/hr.
Was very windy, but mostly side wind.
Pretty happy with that.

Decided to stay in Hay due to the strong winds and wait it out.
Left today, and it was cold this morning.
Couldn't get the fuel economy below 21 ltrs / 100 km. (and there was no wind)
Same tank of fuel, so new fuel not to blame.
Turbo seemed less active, and injector rattle more pronounced.

Stopped for lunch after about 2 hours driving for 30 min, and lo and behold after getting going again
fuel consumption dropped back to 16 ltrs / 100 km.
Same flat country , same speed (90).
It was quite, purring like a kitten.

Now I have noticed this before,where after stopping for some time and restarting the fuel economy
changed, but I blamed the Scangauge.

Is there some sort of auto tuning going on when the engine is started ?

Anyone else witnessed this kind of behaviour ?

Regards
Dinosaur

Re: Varying Fuel economy

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Are you using a scanguage or display (glx-r)?

If it is an aftermarket scanguage then the thing is a random number generator...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Varying Fuel economy

Postby Dinosaur on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi All

The Scangauge is an aftermarket device, but my calculations prove that what it is saying
is close enough to correct.

Regards
Dinosaur

Postby HH338 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:54 pm

I have a 2007 manual 3.2 with everything (2600 KG,s) and a Steinbauer chip at full power setting around town on stop start I average 13.2 l per 100k on country runs I average 12.4 l per 100k and serious bush work 14 t0 16 l per 100k.
With my camper trailer average 14 l per 100 k.
Tyres are 265 x 75 x16 BFG muddies on standard rims.
15 l per 100 k in a standard vehicle there is something wrong.
Don't let the Stealer fob you off.
HH338

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems