smokey triton

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

smokey triton

Postby pigchaser77 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi i have a ml triton 100k and had the surging issue new manifold fixed under warranty still blowing white/black smoke when i take off it does clear when im cruising along dosnt smoke on idle or stationary when i rev it only when im moving.took it back and mits said cant fault it dne sql on injectors all good take it home still smoking took it back and they said tappets and valves need adjusting before we can do anythng so i took it to diesel tune in tamworth he said to much unburnt fuel your injectors are gone i told mits this and they said no our mechanic says different so goes back tomorrow fir tappets and valve adjusting.iv cleaned the maf sensor also wen i run it unplugged there is no difference??(maf sensor) should it idle different or surge when unplugged? I will tell you how the job goes tomorrow fingers crossed.
pigchaser77

Re: smokey triton

Postby nealh82 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:00 pm

valve adjusting should have been done at 90k according to the service schedule. wouldn't think they'd need it again after 10000 more km.
nealh82

Postby pigchaser77 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:45 pm

I bought it with 80000 so dont know if they have ever been done not according to my service book mits didnt do the 90k service ive had 6 other utes and never once touched the valves my last one a hilux i put 350k on it apart from a few small thngs no probs.dont mind the triton the smoke just scares me :)
pigchaser77

Postby mad992 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:51 pm

take it back and ask for a full refund pronto
mad992

Postby pigchaser77 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Id be happy if it just went properly
pigchaser77

Postby al coholic on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:30 pm

mad992 wrote:take it back and ask for a full refund pronto

Wow!!! Thats great advice :roll: Dont mind the fact he's done 20k in it since he bought it 2nd hand :roll: :roll:

Anyway, moving on......
Pigchaser......is the smoke only on start up of a cold morning??

You can get a bit of smoke produced on take off if it has been idling for a period of time. Seen this with many Tritons on 4wd trips etc when blokes have left it idling while chatting or whatever.

Is it chipped??

A dirty air filter can cause smoke too....so maybe check that ;) That would normally be under load though i think.

See how you go with the valve adjustment tomorrow. Assume by what youve said so far that it runs ok in normal driving??
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby pigchaser77 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:53 pm

No smoke on start up just when taking off then put ur foot down she smokes heavy then clears till i change gears and accelerate mainly when the turbo kicks in it has a dual fuel filter and ive serviced it every 5 thou with donaldson filters air fuel and oil and ive been using penrite 5 40 diesel oil.it drives fine good power bout 550 600 a tank idles nice bit of a tappet noise but minor thanks for ur input alco i appreciate it well see the outcme tomorrow
pigchaser77

Postby pigchaser77 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Runs ok no chip
pigchaser77

Postby GLRkenny on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 pm

So has a chip and runs ok without it or has no chip and runs ok other than smoke?
GLRkenny

Postby mad992 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:45 pm

al coholic wrote:
mad992 wrote:take it back and ask for a full refund pronto

Wow!!! Thats great advice :roll: Dont mind the fact he's done 20k in it since he bought it 2nd hand :roll: :roll:

Anyway, moving on......
Pigchaser......is the smoke only on start up of a cold morning??

You can get a bit of smoke produced on take off if it has been idling for a period of time. Seen this with many Tritons on 4wd trips etc when blokes have left it idling while chatting or whatever.

Is it chipped??

A dirty air filter can cause smoke too....so maybe check that ;) That would normally be under load though i think.

See how you go with the valve adjustment tomorrow. Assume by what youve said so far that it runs ok in normal driving??

refund money from the service dept of the stealers :oops: because they cant fix it :roll:
mad992

Postby pigchaser77 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:57 pm

No chip at all.. runs ok i told mits if its still smokin after tomoro i wont be paying a cent 3 times its been back :evil: dyno place reckons injectors are had it.
pigchaser77

Postby mattz on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Does it mainly do it after cruising speeds.......like down the freeway. Then after you pull up at a set of lights and take off it smokes badly then will clear up.......if you keep on the gas through the gears it will be fine?
If these sound like your symptoms I'd suggest the SCV (suction control valve)
Also..... what sort of fuel economy are you getting?
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby mattz on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Probably a bit late now......it'll be in the dealers. :roll: :lol:
Let us know how you went
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby pigchaser77 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 am

Ok just got it back after tappet and valve adjustment alot quieter n smoother thru the revs smoke all but gone and fuel economy seems much better so happy so far headn to bedourie tday so let yous know how it gies wen im back thanks for your help guys
pigchaser77

Postby pigchaser77 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 am

Sql on injectors to
pigchaser77

Postby mad992 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:47 pm

sweet :D
mad992

Postby pigchaser77 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Back in mits again started smoking pretty bad waiting on the outcme :(
pigchaser77

Postby pigchaser77 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:25 pm

2 weeks in mits they are putting on a new suction control valve il update when i have the vehicle back these things really are heaps of shits had toyotas all my life much better vehicle
pigchaser77

Postby pigchaser77 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:38 pm

New suction control valve and still no fix gota be injectors they still havnt checked thm yet apparently a mits thing 3 weeks now in mits have done a harmonic balancer aswell since ive had it tappets n valves adjusted new manifold sql twice on injectors all in 20000 km :cry: s
pigchaser77

Postby pigchaser77 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 am

New injectors have been ordered under warranty :D should have it back next week if all goes well..i will chip it as soon as its backstill undecided which one leanin towards chip it
pigchaser77

Postby ReelBigFish on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi Guys,

I thought rather than start a new thread I rejuvenate an old one! I've been having a few issues with my triton blowing smoke when under load. If the car is low in the rev range <1800 and I accelerate I'll get a reasonable size cloud of smoke out the back. Sometimes the car will also surge around a little, similar to a petrol misfire.

I'm crossing my fingers its not the injectors, do you have any advise on what it might be?

I have a ML with 130k on the clock. I haven't cleaned out the inlet manifold yet but its booked in at the mechanics next week to get that done. Once its all cleaned out I'll add the resistor mod (EGR control) to prevent any additional carbon build up along with a catch can. I've cleaned out the MAF which had a bit of carbon on it so slowly trying to eliminate a few things.

Any advise on what else I should look at or get the mechanic to look at? Is there any way to conclusively tell whether it is the injectors or not?

Really appreciate any advise you guys could give!
ReelBigFish
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:08 pm

What colour is the smoke?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby jjj on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:51 pm

I got a bad tank of diesel , 3 fuel Filters used To fix problem Of smokey exhaust and poor performance.

On the 3rd replacement I used some Nulon injector diesel cleaner Into a full tank of diesel. I also Cleaned the mass airflow sensor(was dusted), with CRC mass sensor cleaner spray.

Car is running better now at 120000km then when I got it at 77000km. I experienced a smokey exhaust And poor idle etc when fuel filter was fully Blocked And half blocked after 2nd changed. I Am getting over 750km on highway tank now although wont let it go under 1/4 of a tank now. Used 3 fuel filters within 2500km. Cheers
jjj

Postby ReelBigFish on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:What colour is the smoke?

Usually its white but every now and then I get a puff of black smoke.
Maybe I'll give the change in fuel filter a go!
ReelBigFish
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jjj on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:45 pm

White greyish smoke, change fuel filter, fresh tank of diesel with a bottle of nulon common rail injector cleaner. Should hopefully fix your problems. Makesure you undo the bleed air screw and pump out the air from fuel line after filter replacement.
jjj

Next

Return to Fuel Systems