fuel pump issues, car won't start

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

fuel pump issues, car won't start

Postby joelmusch on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:27 pm

so i went to start my 2011 mn 2.5 turbo diesel triton the other day with 63,000 on the clock and it wouldn't turn over. the only way it would start was when i had someone pumping the fuel from the pump in the passenger side engine bay. tried roll starting, it started but didn't run right and would turn off with no momentum also had no acceleration. it was only serviced 3000km ago and there were no issues with the car. its getting towed tomorrow to the dealer but just wondering what would cause this or has anyone else experienced this also? and will it be a warranty issue? help!!!!
joelmusch

Re: fuel pump issues, car won't start

Postby Bigbirdalx on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Have u checked if u are getting 12vdc to the pump? May be a break in the power run. Chevked fuses etc?
also after u started it. Did it run then stall out or keep running
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby joelmusch on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:36 pm

all wires running to pump are in good condition, and after checking fuse box i found out there is no fuel fuse from new. it would stall if i put the clutch in or slow down. i took off the inlet hose to the pump and turned on accessories and no fuel was being pumped from the tank to the inlet and it has half a tank
joelmusch

Postby aids84 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:33 pm

There is no lift pump from the tank to the filter, the suction of the high pressure pump draws the fuel up from the tank.

What is your engine oil level like on the dipstick?
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby joelmusch on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Yer i wasnt too sure if there was a lift punp or not thanks, yer oil is spot on, fresh oil 3000km. So does this mean i have no pressure in my fuel line?
joelmusch

Postby borngeek on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Yes I have had one fail. Will be warranty, a very very rare failure. Prime and drive will get it where you need it 30 seconds at a time. Mits will tow and fix it mate, do not stress.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby joelmusch on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Okay sweet thanks guys, yer getting it towed tomorrow to the dealer, im 90% sure that is the problem. Just wanted to see if it was a warranty issue or if is was going to be up for big $$$
joelmusch

Postby colins7014 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:16 pm

My MN 2010 broke down a couple of weeks ago and it was derating to idle. The traction lights and engine light come on. Been in the dealer since then. They have replaced the suction control valve, rail pressure regulating valve and as a last attempt took a pump from another one which fixed the problems. So they have ordered a new pump hopefully have it back by the weekend.
colins7014

Postby colins7014 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:17 pm

Just had 60,000 km service before trip
colins7014

Postby shortSteve on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:21 pm

colins7014 wrote:My MN 2010 broke down a couple of weeks ago and it was derating to idle. The traction lights and engine light come on. Been in the dealer since then. They have replaced the suction control valve, rail pressure regulating valve and as a last attempt took a pump from another one which fixed the problems. So they have ordered a new pump hopefully have it back by the weekend.

When mine last had these exact symptoms it was a loose fuel rail plug.
shortSteve

Return to Fuel Systems