chipmydiesel chip testing log

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

chipmydiesel chip testing log

Postby slickncghia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:51 am

UNCLASSIFIED

G'day Guys,

I purchased a Chipmydiesel.com.au standard chip for my MN triton MY14 glx+ manual. with about 1100km on the clock.

#####Background and general information#####

price was $440+$20 express shipping (the only shipping option) ordered tuesday at around lunchtime, was in my mailbox wednesday when I got home from work.

I am going to use this post to monitor the results and figures from my experiences with this chip as there arent that many detailed reviews/first hand experiences on the web.

I was umming and ahh ing about a chip untill i did some pretty steep fire trail driving on the weekend and found myself stuck in the huuge black hole of power before the boost comes
on and that pushed me over the edge.

The following is my own guestimations and could well be incorrect, I encourage other users to add any constructive feedback (ie no need to say "shoulda bought DP" or "chips are rubbish youll blow it up") 

I have never used a chip before however have used ecu mappng software before on motorbikes and have a rudimentary knowlege of
fuelling.

The CMD chip connects between the fuel rail sensor and the ECU. detail on how it works is fuzzy from the website which makes it seem a bit suss at first but from what I can guestimate this is how it works.

It takes the readings from the fuel rail sensor (apparently lots per second - allegedly. certainly physically has processers and a circuit board, so isnt just a resister) and modifies them either by (im not sure)
a)one of 9 preloaded maps (as alleged by the website)or b) possibly just adjusts the values by one of 9 preset multiplier values. This then tells the ECU to inject more fuel, ideally creating more power.

The chip is the same for all vehicles and the standard chip has a 1-9 switch. 1 being lowest power (lowest extra fuel) 9 being the highest. I'm suspicious that there arent any
vehicle specific maps because apparently for some vehicles you can only go up to a certain level (eg 6,7,8) before it starts overfuelling and causing hesitation or blowing smoke whereas other vehicles can go up to 9. still not convinces either way yet.

I also suspect it may change the fueling value evenly throughout the rev range rather than different values based on a preset curve but I am not sure. at least the changed values are sent to the ECU and therefore the ECU still has final say on how much fuel to inject.

All values below are taken from the Torque application and an ebay bluetooth OBD2 reader. Torque app readings like KW atw must be taken with a grain of salt however I believe that if back to back tests are conducted with the same configuration and as closely as possible it could be a usefull reference tool for direct comparrison.

######Unscientific testing.######

The box came preset on level 3.  took it out for a spin, noticable improvement however dosent really change the characteristics of the engine, dosent magically make the turbo spin up at 900rpm or anything just more power throughout the range.

changed to level 4 seemed like a slight improvement again

changed to level 5 improvement again however it was raining pretty hard at this stage.

improvement seems to be everywhere accross the range including prior to the turbo spooling however it still lacks a bit of pickup if you find yourself in too low a gear going round a rounderbout or corner in the wrong gear. perhaps an egr blank could help but thats a topic for another thread.

#####Slightly more scientific testing##(##

i will conduct testing on the same route, under simmilar conditions (on the way to work in the moring) accelerating in the same gear for the same rpm range to attempt to get restults for some important values using Torque. all tests are done in a safe way within the speed limmit.

accellerating 3rd gear on an almost flat (verry slightly uphill) road from 2,000prm untill approx 4,000 rpm (from now on i will graph this to be certain of rpms). Vehicle profile set up in torque, slightly underestimating weight of vehicle so kw readings may be a little lower than they could be, also hill will slightly reduce this value too.
Day 1.  level 5.  ambient temp ~ 15-17deg, road slightly wet.
Fuel rail pressure max: 23752
Boost psi max: 22.3
calculated KW atw max: 105.5

Tomorrow I will remove the Chip all together and test the baseline in an attempt to be a direct comparrison. are there any other values (that can be monitored) that I should be monitoring or reporting? I will attempt to graph KW vs RPM

I will also be updating this thread will fuel usage calcualtions but this will take some time to compile.

please imput any helpfull information.

slickncghia

Re: chipmydiesel chip testing log

Postby tridog on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks for the info slick, I am considering a chip and this one seems very cheap in comparison with others out there....hope it delivers, cos Im all for cheap !!!
tridog

Postby trouble on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:48 am

Good work mate.
At this early stage do you think it's worth it?
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby slickncghia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 am

Couldn't tell yet. There is obviously more power that's clear.

The worth it test will be whether this is pushing the parameters too far and how it effects fuel economy. Longevity will take years to determine

So I'm just gonna monitor as many vitals as I can.
slickncghia

Postby slickncghia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:24 am

Ok I may have to reassess those initial results and retest with more specific rpms must've backed off early. as I just far exceeded the results.

Down on level 3 was getting 114kw. Tested 3 times.
And it stepped up to level 6 which achieved 123kw

Again this isn't super scientific. But as per torque the clicks delivered improvements In kw which it measures using acceleration and weight and stuff.

The improvement is definitely noticable driving it. The whole car feels sporty.

Will be interesting driving it again with no chip
slickncghia

Postby Speedy70 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am

Monitoring the exhaust gas temps would be worthwhile to ensure your not running too hot with the extra fuelling.
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby slickncghia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:32 am

Cheers the option is in torque I'll see if it picks it up after lunch.
slickncghia

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:29 pm

I'd be surprised if torque can pick up your EGTs. I didn't think there was even a sensor for that in stock form.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby slickncghia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Yeah there's plenty of settings in torque that the Mitsubishi dosent have sensors for.
slickncghia

Postby s13tsilvia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:29 pm

im pretty sure torque cannot read EGT for our trucks, i have looked and tested it and cannot find one to work.
s13tsilvia

Postby mIwoo on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:45 pm

interested between this and "reddirtdiesel" chip.

is this one increase rail pressure or pulse width on the injectors?

cheers?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby mIwoo on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:46 pm

sorry, re read your original post- it increases rail pressure.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby Speedy70 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15 pm

You need a separate EGT gauge with probe tapped into the exhaust to monitor the EGT's. I only mentioned it cause from my limited experience once you start increasing fuelling your EGT's increase and this can be a bad thing if they get too high. At least with an EGT gauge you can monitor these and find a happy medium between the chip setting, performance increases and potential damage to your engine from high operating temperatures.
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby slickncghia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:47 pm

is there a specific EGT temperature range that is safe? or otherwise?
slickncghia

Postby Tony on Thu May 01, 2014 7:33 am

With 56 post you have been here a while and you will find EGT temps are well disused in other threads.

to save you searching.

Self fusion is at around 920c pre turbo and you start making big horse power at around 850c :roll: :lol:

So around 850c pre turbo is max limit. Take around 200c off this for EGT probe fitted in the dump pipe. So max temp at dump = 650c on short burst.
In saying the above, I have seen these engines run upto 720cpost turbo and survive. :shock: Keep doing it and pistons will fail as will the turbo. Turbo is cheap to replace. pistons are not.

Most of the European knock off chips wont fuel up the top end nor give you a boost off the line as have to comply with euro 4 and 5 emission by law.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby slickncghia on Thu May 01, 2014 8:47 am

Cheers Tony.

Took the chip off for a service today. Really noticable initially. Had to make sure I was in 2nd not 4th
slickncghia

Postby slickncghia on Fri May 02, 2014 7:42 am

So I went chipless for the service and the best that I could do was low to mid 90s in the kw readings

Think it was 93-94kw over a couple of runs.

Again simmilar conditions not super scientific but I believe it shows around 25% power increase which Is more than I expected. But honestly that feels about right by the seat of the pants dyno

Fuel economy figures to come. I am about to go (start next Thurs) on a 1800km roadtrip. So I will run a few tanks through with the chip.

So watch this space in a couple of weeks.
slickncghia

Postby tridog on Fri May 02, 2014 8:45 am

I will be installing one for economy so look forward to your findings!
tridog

Postby tridog on Fri May 02, 2014 8:47 am

Slick did you blank the the EGR ...?
tridog

Postby slickncghia on Fri May 02, 2014 8:51 am

No blanks or anything like that. My research into the best option still isn't complete
slickncghia

Postby tridog on Fri May 02, 2014 8:53 am

how hard is the hook up?
tridog

Postby slickncghia on Fri May 02, 2014 8:59 am

A little fiddly but Not hard at all. There's a connection on the end of the fuel rail. Location: right side of engine. Halfway down heightwise right at the rear near the firewall.

That gets removed and plugged into the chips wiring harness. The other connection on the chips harness then gets plugged into the original location.

Then you just ziptie the control box somewhere out of the way.

Just fiddly as there's a few hot coolant pipes in the way and not a heap of hand room. But a 2 min job now that I know where it is
slickncghia

Postby tridog on Fri May 02, 2014 9:12 am

8-)
tridog

Postby MitchMN on Fri May 02, 2014 10:13 am

What a bargain for the chip, very interested to see how it goes.
MitchMN

Postby mattz on Sun May 04, 2014 6:28 am

Do you know what your fuel economy figures are pre chip?
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Next

Return to Fuel Systems