Fake Provent

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Fake Provent

Postby viking shippy on Sat May 03, 2014 1:15 pm

snowman wrote:
viking shippy wrote:
Snowman how could those pipes get blocked 3/4 inch and Cary oil mist ..?

OK so again i am not professing to be an expert in pro-vents but this is my logic.

the mist as it flows through the pipe will, in part, stick the the sides of the hose (pipe). It has a viscosity so it will flow, albeit very slowly over time. It will naturally want to flow to a low point (gravity), particularly while your car is just sitting there.

If that low point is the bottom of a dip in the pipe then it will 'plug' in that location. It will slowly close up a bit like a dodgy artery in your body until there is no (air)flow and then you get your pressure problem. Not dissimiliar to how the oil tends to collect/sit in the bottom of the intercooler. Only at that location it does not significantly restrict the airflow to the intake (from all reports as it can take a lot of oil before it is an issue).

Good point with some installs that have Kinks and meters of pipe work..that would cause some resistance.....I'm not totally convinced that it would supply enough resistance to cause a high enough pressure to cause a seal leak from high crank case pressure ...unless a kink has stopped flow..and the pro vent has meters of hose between the catch can and the rocker cover pooling oil..more like a install and maintenance problem rather that a provent problem.....as this product has valves to keep negative pressure and a safety release valve in the cap for high pressures.
I've done an install with the hose from the rocker cover to the provent only 450mm and at an angle draining the hose back to the catch can.. Click to view larger picture
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Sat May 03, 2014 1:33 pm

I wouldn't recommend bolting it (pro vent)to your air box as they can contribute to the failure of an inadequate designed air box.....I've no problem with that now
I've made the lower half of the air box a composite air box of carbon and fibre glass..
viking shippy

Postby RHKTriton on Sat May 03, 2014 1:54 pm

The oil mist on its own is not a big issue ( will get some oil puddling in the intercooler over time - so check it every year) but the oil mixing with the EGR soot is the problem. Kill the EGR and most worries gone.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Sat May 03, 2014 1:59 pm

RHKTriton wrote:The oil mist on its own is not a big issue ( will get some oil puddling in the intercooler over time - so check it every year) but the oil mixing with the EGR soot is the problem. Kill the EGR and most worries gone.

Yes but oil mist on its own hitting a hot manifold causes gunk also...I like to minimise it even if the turbo seals contribute to some of the oil.....that's not mist anyways...
viking shippy

Postby triton_guru on Sat May 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Rhoden wrote:I have been getting 10-15Mls of nasty black sludge from my Provent 200 after about 3 - 4 months. Thats about how long I take to check. On my second filter now. Had the Provent since Triton was new almost. Better not to have that crap in your manifold. Remember seeing somewhere that the 20,000km service that they do the valves or something and the opportunity to check intake manifold for carbon was there. If I knew I would have asked how it was. Clogged up or not. ehhh too late now. I'm at 30,000K.. 2010 MN GLXR. Not many K's lol Taking my Camper Trailer for a run soon.

i dont think dropping that much oil on the road would be an issue :) saves me having all these problems with catch cans etc :twisted: dont know why people worry about the legal side of things, i bet a few of us have got blanks here. wonder what the price of the fine would be compared to running a crankcase hose to the ground? :D
triton_guru

Postby viking shippy on Sat May 03, 2014 5:14 pm

triton_guru wrote:
Rhoden wrote:I have been getting 10-15Mls of nasty black sludge from my Provent 200 after about 3 - 4 months. Thats about how long I take to check. On my second filter now. Had the Provent since Triton was new almost. Better not to have that crap in your manifold. Remember seeing somewhere that the 20,000km service that they do the valves or something and the opportunity to check intake manifold for carbon was there. If I knew I would have asked how it was. Clogged up or not. ehhh too late now. I'm at 30,000K.. 2010 MN GLXR. Not many K's lol Taking my Camper Trailer for a run soon.

i dont think dropping that much oil on the road would be an issue :) saves me having all these problems with catch cans etc :twisted: dont know why people worry about the legal side of things, i bet a few of us have got blanks here. wonder what the price of the fine would be compared to running a crankcase hose to the ground? :D

Your kidding.....if we all dropped oil on the ground...
the roads would be...un drivable....in the wet....
They are bad enough now after rain from oil leaks...
Comparing an egr block to dripping oil on the road is just plain silly.
For oh so many reasons..
Even though they are both illegal...
The state legislators found this out way back in the 70s
it was actually contributing to the road toll,and polluting our waterways.....that's why it's ...ILLEGAL ....so is pouring sump oil down the storm water drains...FYI....
and effectively over time that's what you are doing......:twisted::twisted::twisted:
viking shippy

Postby triton_guru on Sat May 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Yes blow by oil is contributing to the road toll lol :? Just like having an exhaust with no cat is contributing to cancer toll aswell :?
triton_guru

Postby viking shippy on Sat May 03, 2014 7:35 pm

Wana shovel...lol...
viking shippy

Postby mad992 on Sat May 03, 2014 7:39 pm

yeah dont go dripping oil on our roads :evil:
mad992

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat May 03, 2014 7:41 pm

Enough VS and guru.

This is a thread in a technical forum. Please keep your posts on topic and relevant to the subject of the thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jrs184 on Sun May 31, 2015 11:38 am

just pulled off my air from intercooler to manifold hose and very little oil film on inside, first section of upper manifold still silver colour, butterfly valve very clean, all the way to the EGR, Used my inspection camera past the EGR and the camera picked up sludge over the lens and prevented further view without cleaning it and poking it back along to the bend that dips down to the lower manifold. Didn't try to get it around the bend in case the metal flexi hose of the cam got stuck. I was surprised that the gunk was wet as I had expected a dry brittle kind of carbon build up which wasn't the case. I clean my provent every weekend, takes one minute to minimise any chance of pressure in the lines. So far (20,000km on since I bought my ML with existing 100K km) I am still on my first filter and it is still cleans up as new. I know a lot of people would not be bothered to do this so often but I would rather do this to avoid any chance of back pressure build up. Cleaned the boost hose and poked a wire down the inlet to the manifold to make sure no build up. I flushed my radiator and cooling system 5 times, refilled with new coolant. Temp takes a bit longer to get to operating temp (10km) on the highway now, be interesting to see how it goes in summer on my hill climb section in the bush. Gradually getting all the tools together to take the manifolds off for a clean but don't know what the torque wrench for the injector lines looks like. I have a standard torque wrench but it is no help as it only takes sockets, do you use an open sided socket or is there a specific tool, my next job will be a secondary fuel filter and water trap, is there a consensus on the forum regarding the way to go here, Rayco, Delphi. I would prefer to keep the OE on and use a 2 micron post that to aid injector life. Any advise appreciated..thanks John..
jrs184

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun May 31, 2015 12:11 pm

I think you can use a crows foot spanner - google will give you an idea, I've not done it myself.

I run a racor-parker 2 micron. Good unit but pricey. Best to import from the states price-wise.

Just make sure it has a good high flow rate, subject to that any 2 micron should be okay I would have thought.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Sun May 31, 2015 3:20 pm

Another -possible- idea is a 3um Donaldson P551615 -if- you can find somewhere to mount it. See bottom of this page for a photo of how I did it on my single cab.... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12457&p=474494&hilit=Extra+fuel+filter#p474494
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems