Loss of power

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Loss of power

Postby BB32 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi,

I have a 3.2 ML and find that when I accelerate (seems to be happening in 4th gear), to over take or when driving, there is sometimes a "pause" and then it comes back again. This doesn't happen when you initially accelerate, only after a few seconds and the "pause" is not long. It becomes a bit frustrating when you overtake and the power is gone. There are no lights on the dash when it happens and it has done this before and after the service.

The same thing happens on my uncle's 2.5.

Hope this makes sense.

Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers.

Brendan
BB32

Re: Loss of power

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Everybody (who doesn't have the V6) has this problem. It's called a turbo diesel engine.

Essentially what's happening is that you're cruising along on light throttle and the engine is running on minimal boost and fuel rail pressure to maintain that speed. Then you sink the boot in and although it does start to accelerate it takes a noticeable amount of time before much happens.

What's happening though is that the engine ECU has to interpret your signal and then increase fuel rail pressure to feed more fuel. That happens reasonably quickly but then the engine has to build revs to get that turbo spinning and pump more air to maximise the power. If it's auto then everything is magnified while the box gets the change down signal, asks "are you sure?" and then actually does it.

Drove me absolutely nuts at first but eventually you learn that manoeuvres like overtaking need to be planned. Drop a gear first and get into the power band. Then slam your foot down and she will leap away.

One of the best things I did was to set up my Scangauge to monitor rail pressure and boost. Then you can actually see what is happening.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bartman_2610 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Hence why I have a V6 :D
bartman_2610

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm

bartman_2610 wrote:Hence why I have a V6 :D

You can stay. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:16 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
bartman_2610 wrote:Hence why I have a V6 :D

You can stay. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Out of interest, what motor do you have 5th? :twisted:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:26 pm

4M41, mate, but with VGT so 147kW/445Nm. But that was after five 6G7s. Would have been six, but was only available in Exceed and an extra $35k for the motor wasn't in the budget. :(
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby BB32 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:34 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Everybody (who doesn't have the V6) has this problem. It's called a turbo diesel engine.

Essentially what's happening is that you're cruising along on light throttle and the engine is running on minimal boost and fuel rail pressure to maintain that speed. Then you sink the boot in and although it does start to accelerate it takes a noticeable amount of time before much happens.

What's happening though is that the engine ECU has to interpret your signal and then increase fuel rail pressure to feed more fuel. That happens reasonably quickly but then the engine has to build revs to get that turbo spinning and pump more air to maximise the power. If it's auto then everything is magnified while the box gets the change down signal, asks "are you sure?" and then actually does it.

Drove me absolutely nuts at first but eventually you learn that manoeuvres like overtaking need to be planned. Drop a gear first and get into the power band. Then slam your foot down and she will leap away.

One of the best things I did was to set up my Scangauge to monitor rail pressure and boost. Then you can actually see what is happening.

Thanks Chris,

I have only had the Triton for about a month so I am still getting used to all the quirks. I am waiting for my ELM327 to arrive so that I can monitor a few things.

Cheers.
BB32

Postby Hxjay on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:20 am

Hi all seems to cough and splutter at a certain rev
in first second and third with a little puff of smoke and I have to put my foot down to get it to come back to normal revs. Is this right?? Or do I have other issues?
Cheers.
Hxjay

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 am

Anyone considered retro fitting GT turbo to 3.2triton?

The old Vito's torque came on tap pretty quickly compared to the tritons.

Alternatively a bi-turbo setup would help.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hxjay on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Ok cheers tex, i'll give it a go this weekend and hopefully it souls
The problem.
Hxjay

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:21 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Anyone considered retro fitting GT turbo to 3.2triton?

The old Vito's torque came on tap pretty quickly compared to the tritons.

Alternatively a bi-turbo setup would help.

Mitsubishi have done it, in a way, with the VGT on the Pajero. Next best thing, I'd say. Actually someone asked me recently if it was possible to retrofit the VGT onto the Triton. Had to reply that I didn't know, but, I guess it should be possible although may need to change a few things. Geek's turbo upgrade is another option.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby 2013triton on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:33 am

Having the same sort of issue. My MN Triton diesel has only 4500ks on the clock. I find it happens in 3rd gear manual box about 2/3rds up to full operating temp put the right boot into it at about 2000rpm i get a miss only for a split second then it drives normal. The other thing i noticed every time it happens, [its only happen twice ]The traction control light on the dash is flickering .If it happens again i will contact Bitsarmissing .Or just turn the traction control off , I dont recon it prob works anyway. Anyone had the same issue.
2013triton

Return to Fuel Systems