Low sulfur Diesel benefits Fact or Friction ?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Low sulfur Diesel benefits Fact or Friction ?

Postby leonbee on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Got the full report of Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel in PDF :D

HERE: http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educati ... esults.pdf
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:01 pm

leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:07 pm

leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:09 pm

Test in PDF file: :D

Here:http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/education/lubricity%20additive%20study%20results.pdf
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:14 pm

rodeddy wrote:.... they can blend up to max of 5% biodiesel in without requiring to label it . Anymore than 5% and it requires to be labelled... 8-)

Yep you are correct the Caltex Vortex diesel data sheet states that it is in fact 5% bio, BP is most likely the same.

Other Names

NEW GENERATION BIODIESEL
VORTEX DIESEL
ULTRA LOW SULFUR
DIESEL
VORTEX DIESEL
-

http://www.caltex.com.au/sites/Marine/M ... 20MSDS.pdf
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Got lubrication additive study test in PDF: :D

HERE: http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educati ... esults.pdf
leonbee

Postby GPS98 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:37 am

I have a MN Triton and have been following this thread, but now so confused, sorry. I have used Caltex Vortex only since day one, and from the above report does that mean it is good to use and do you still or should you add the extra oil that a lot seem to be using.

Thanks
GPS98

Postby Bigbirdalx on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:15 am

Question, is 2T and 2T activ the same thing?
Havent seen anything but activ yet
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:50 am

From my experience, putting in a shot of 2stroke definitely makes the engine run smoother and seems to give it a slight performance improvement.

I read somewhere that the 2Stroke probably has more effect in removing carbon buildup than anything else.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Bigbirdalx wrote:Question, is 2T and 2T activ the same thing?

No they're not the same. Castrol 2T is JASO-FB rated which means it's intended for use in your Victa 2 Stroke lawn mower and we all know how filthy black and oily their tiny little 'tight exhaust holes' end up becoming. ... :lol:
Castrol Activ 2T on the other hand is JASO FC rated which means it is extremely low ash forming ie, it's very clean burning and designed for use in modern high speed high power high performance motorcycle engines. ... :)
Activ 2T is definitely the correct one that you want to use as a fuel lube additive in your diesel. .... ;) Interestingly, both of these --Mineral Oil-- based, 2 Stroke oils have exactly the same lubricating qualities, it's just the much improved cleaning properties and much lower combustion deposits that make the Activ 2T the one to choose. By the way, avoid using --Synthetic-- based 2 Stroke oils as I have seen reports of diesel fuel 'gelling' as a result of their use. The thought of having your entire vehicle's fuel system contaminated with 'gelled' fuel does not bear thinking about, so Be WARNED.... :o
The suggested diesel fuel mix ratio is 200 : 1 so for a 60 Litre tank fill of diesel you would use 300ml of Activ 2T. Obviously the idea is to add the 2T into your fuel tank first before pumping in the diesel so that the turbulence caused during the filling of the tank ensures a good mixing of the two. Admittedly, it's a bit of a long shot, but if you add the 2T last ie, after you've already filled the tank with diesel then there is a small risk that it could sink to the bottom of the tank and pool there and be picked up into your fuel lines at a much higher concentration, when you start your ute so hence, it's simply a better idea to play it safe and just add the 2T first, before the diesel fill up. ... ;)
Last edited by AnOldFart on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:07 pm

GPS98 wrote:I have a MN Triton and have been following this thread, but now so confused, sorry. I have used Caltex Vortex only since day one, and from the above report does that mean it is good to use and do you still or should you add the extra oil that a lot seem to be using. Thanks

Should you be using 2T.....???
If your own ute is currently running 'sweet' ie, not displaying any signs of a 'sticky' SVC such as flat spots or hesitation under acceleration, misfiring and hesitation under light throttle positions, and initial hesitation followed then by sudden acceleration away from the traffic lights accompanied by billowing black clouds of smoke seen in your rear view mirrors, then you probably don't need the 'magic' restorative properties of a dose of 2T in your fuel tank...... yet..... ;)
But, at the first sign of such mis-behaviour starting to occur, if you then immediately try adding a 200 : 1 ratio dose of Castrol Activ 2T into your fuel tank as you fill it up you will -most likely- be amazed at the resulting difference in your vehicle's performance..... :D My own observations from my own vehicle is a much quieter motor on startup, seemingly smoother overall operation of the vehicle when driving, and a slightly improved fuel economy, as well as a complete disappearance of the afore-mentioned flat spots, hesitation, misfiring and billowing black clouds of exhaust smoke upon take off at the lights and these same improved results are also echoed by many other 2T devotees as well...... :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:14 pm

AnOldFart wrote:

No they're not the same. Castrol 2T is JASO-FB rated which means it's intended for use in your Victa 2 Stroke lawn mower and we all know how filthy black and oily their tiny little 'tight exhaust holes' end up becoming. ... :lol: Castrol Activ 2T on the other hand is JASO FC rated which means it is extremely low ash forming ie, it's very clean burning and designed for use in modern high speed high power high performance motorcycle engines. ... :) Activ 2T is definitely the correct one that you want to use as a fuel lube additive in your diesel. .... ;) Interestingly, both have exactly the same lubricating qualities, it's just the much improved cleaning properties and much lower combustion deposits that make the Activ 2T the one to choose.
The suggested diesel fuel mix ratio is 200 : 1 so for a 60 Litre tank fill of diesel you would use 300ml of Activ 2T. Obviously the idea is to add the 2T into your fuel tank first before pumping in the diesel so that the turbulence caused during the filling of the tank ensures a good mixing of the two. Admittedly, it's a bit of a long shot, but if you add the 2T last ie, after you've already filled the tank with diesel then there is a small risk that it could sink to the bottom of the tank and pool there and be picked up into your fuel lines at a much higher concentration, when you start your ute so hence, it's simply a better idea to play it safe and just add the 2T first, before the diesel fill. ... ;)

To me, that bit in bold doesn't seem right as the 2T mixes with fuel no matter when you put it in, its like saying when you fill your two stroke tank up for your boat if you put the oil in last it will not mix. If I remember I put it in before I fill up but quite often put it in last as I had forgotten to add it. It doesn't seem to make any difference and I have been running it for over a year now and reckon it surely does help quieten the engine and maybe even help with better mileage. :)
deermaster

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 pm

deermaster wrote:
AnOldFart wrote:

No they're not the same. Castrol 2T is JASO-FB rated etc, etc, etc, ........
.......... Admittedly, it's a bit of a long shot, but if you add the 2T last ie, after you've already filled the tank with diesel then there is a small risk that it could sink to the bottom of the tank and pool there and be picked up into your fuel lines at a much higher concentration, when you start your ute so hence, it's simply a better idea to play it safe and just add the 2T first, before the diesel fill. ... ;)

To me, that bit in bold doesn't seem right as the 2T mixes with fuel no matter when you put it in, its like saying when you fill your two stroke tank up for your boat if you put the oil in last it will not mix. If I remember I put it in before I fill up but quite often put it in last as I had forgotten to add it. It doesn't seem to make any difference and I have been running it for over a year now and reckon it surely does help quieten the engine and maybe even help with better mileage. :)

I did say, " admittedly, it's a bit of a -long shot- " 'deermaster' ;) something that you'd probably know a fair bit about, judging by your Forum name ;) ;)
I just like to cover my bases and hence lean a little on the safe side of things, that's the reason for the -order- of my recommendation, ie, add the 2T first, and the diesel last, to -guarantee- a good mixing of the two. Just simply a case of it's not quite as easy to pick up the old ute and give her a bit of a 'mixing-shake' afterwards, as it is to do that with a boat, or mower's fuel tank... ;) ;)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:16 pm

so with this oil that everyone is talking about
Is the castrol outboard 2stroke oil any good as it has a jaso-fc rating like you stated anoldfart????
as i have this all the time for my boat and would be easy to get all of the time...
cheers coughy
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:16 pm

I did say, " admittedly, it's a bit of a -long shot- " 'deermaster' ;) something that you'd probably know a fair bit about, judging by your Forum name ;) ;)
I just like to cover my bases and hence lean a little on the safe side of things, that's the reason for the -order- of my recommendation, ie, add the 2T first, and the diesel last, to -guarantee- a good mixing of the two. Just simply a case of it's not quite as easy to pick up the old ute and give her a bit of a 'mixing-shake' afterwards, as it is to do that with a boat, or mower's fuel tank... ;) ;)[/quote]
Ha ha, I do take some long shots too. Took two last week at 320mtrs and 350mtrs but both good ones. :D

I ain't no expert on the oil mate and like you said probably better to put it in first, but I often forget. Then I just need a bumpy road :lol:

coughy wrote:so with this oil that everyone is talking about
Is the castrol outboard 2stroke oil any good as it has a jaso-fc rating like you stated anoldfart????
as i have this all the time for my boat and would be easy to get all of the time...
cheers coughy

I just use Active 2T and think boat oil would be different. I could be wrong though as I often am :lol:
deermaster

Postby leonbee on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:23 pm

cheers coughy

Summary for the confused.

Any low ash 2 stroke oil. Castrol Active 2t is a low ash 2 stroke oil and is most popular.

BP adds lubricant to its diesel fuel . Add 100ml per tank (70L) to increase lubrication.
300ml is for old none Ultra low sulphur engines without high pressure injection.

Caltex vortex has 5% bio added for lubrication which is a good lubricant.

Bio has its down sides. you can learn about bio diesel here.
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/uc205.pdf
leonbee

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:08 pm

cheers coughy

Hi 'coughy'
According to the info on the Castrol PDS their Castrol Outboard 2T is an extremely low ash product designed for use in modern high power water cooled marine 2 Stroke engines. It doesn't -actually- state whether it is Mineral Oil or, Synthetic based, so I can't really tell you whether it's also -safe- (ie, no risk of Gelling') to use as a diesel fuel lube improver.... :?: Personally, I would suggest that you phone Castrol next week and ask them to confirm whether it is Mineral Oil based....? If they can confirm -that- point then it should indeed be OK.... ;)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:06 pm

hi old fart just went outside and read the bottle it says on the back
"self mixing mineral based oil"
so it looks like it is a winner for me then..
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:55 am

Great Clip to help you Understanding the importance of Lubrication in your Triton. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn8xpNjpX6g
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:21 am

Here is a Great Clip to help you understand the fine tolerance on your engine.Unlike the old diesel engine designs in which you could chuck some vegetable oil in and it would run. Modern engines are designed to run on ULSD. It.s very thin almost like petrol and pumped at high pressure. Adding to much 2T will increase the viscosity (thickness) and may increase wear. In my opinion !00ml of 2T would do the job safely. :ugeek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiapy73W_KQ
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Anyone used redline 85 plus diesel enhancer. its an American lubricant and cetane inhancer + cleaner. works out $2 a fill 60ml :?: found it on ebay. It has proven fact sheets on website and has some good reviews around.

http://www.redlineoil.com.au/product-in ... ladditives
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:55 am

Just found this test which claims 2T increases fuel economy. Note: opti-lube is not available in Aus

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Opti-Lube-XP ... 100/g.html
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:48 pm

New study claims Adding 2T to diesel engines has no lubrication benefit and can damage your engine.

Here is a link to the study. You can go to the conclusion at the end if you are in a hurry.

:arrow: http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oi ... -study.php
leonbee

Postby GLX58 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:51 am

leonbee wrote:New study claims Adding 2T to diesel engines has no lubrication benefit and can damage your engine.

Here is a link to the study. You can go to the conclusion at the end if you are in a hurry.

:arrow: http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2--oil-in-d ... -study.php

Thanks for posting. Don't have time to read the whole thing just now. I'm a bit on the fence with the whole 2SO thing.

A quick read raises some questions about this study... Not debunking it just now, but I note it seems to have been funded by a fuel company....with financial motivation to return results of no 'effect'. My experience with such things leads me to immediately think independence of opinion in interpreting results may be somewhat lacking. Also note the test results seem to generally show an improvement in a number of instances for 'market deisel'? (whether this is tangible/relevant or balanced against risk don't know just yet ). Don't know how SA fuel compares to Oz?

Also some anomalies in the data, and some data appears to be missing?
GLX58

Postby leonbee on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Claims injector fouling due to zinc content, loss of power. Would not this be the same for a motor bike injector system in which 2T is suppose to keep clean. Block PDF due to metal based contaminants. What the.. Report looks good but the results look a bit sus. :?
leonbee

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems