Repairing the SCV Suction control valve

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Repairing the SCV Suction control valve

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:29 pm

ag9111 wrote:
daveygravey wrote:Hi guys, Pretty new here, having a few problems with my mn, fuel pressure wont hold, prime it up tight and within a minute will require 4 or 5 more pumps, wont idle or drive under 2000rpm.
could this be the scv?

sounds like you have a leak somewhere.
Look for diesel leakage in the engine bay

And check your engine's oil level, -and- smell, for any signs of diesel in it .... :shock:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:59 am

Ok, I have done the search but cant find it, So I will probably look like a dumbarse :( . Oh well here goes, What is the sql everyone is talking about??
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:39 am

alian wrote:Ok, I have done the search but cant find it, So I will probably look like a dumbarse :( . Oh well here goes, What is the sql everyone is talking about??

small quantity learn

it is a way the injectors are 're adjusted' to maximise pulsing blah blah......
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:09 am

Oh, Ok.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:13 am

alian wrote:Ok, I have done the search but cant find it, So I will probably look like a dumbarse :( . Oh well here goes, What is the sql everyone is talking about??

Never, -ever- be afraid to ask questions "alian" .... ;) Always keep these two things in mind, "An expert is just someone who has made every mistake that it is possible to make, in a very narrow field of endeavour, over an absolute minimum of ten years." and life is short hence, "you should always try to learn from other's mistakes, because you can't possibly hope to live long enough, to make them all yourself" .... ;) :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby seed0023 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:51 pm

I too just polished the scv now the engine won't idle. Same here with priming the fuel line. Water in fuel filter code on the dash is on. D/c the battery. Still wont start. Can anyone suggest anything?
Cheers
seed0023

Postby biggibbo on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Check you haven't dislodged the plug on the bottom of the filter when you were mucking around.

Pull the SCV back out and pull it apart. It may be stuck, or you may not have put the circlip back in properly.
biggibbo

Postby seed0023 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Back on the road again!
I reassembled the scv back to front, haha. I blame my dodgy pliers.......
Now my '09 MN engine is running better than ever (well since I've owned it anyways).
The spool in my scv had what only looked like a light score. i pinched scotch brite around spool then turned it with my fingers for a few minutes to evenly polish the surface.
Thanks for the how to guide and the support!
seed0023

Postby Belbrook on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:28 pm

seed0023 wrote:Back on the road again!
Now my '09 MN engine is running better than ever (well since I've owned it anyways).
The spool in my scv had what only looked like a light score. i pinched scotch brite around spool then turned it with my fingers for a few minutes to evenly polish the surface.

Did you take any pics of your scv
I have been considering doing this due to slightly high egts and fuel consumption.
Wondering if my oct 09 mn has a serviceable scv
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby seed0023 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:44 pm

Belbrook wrote:
seed0023 wrote:Back on the road again!

Did you take any pics of your scv
I have been considering doing this due to slightly high egts and fuel consumption.
Wondering if my oct 09 mn has a serviceable scv

Sorry I didn't take any photos mate. It's worth taking it out to have a look. While you have it out just do what I did if you don't have a drill handy. :D
seed0023

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Well the ole SCV came out again for a looksie. ( ignore prev suggestion going via wheel well - still got to find my Allen key :oops: )

Plunger had some definite roughness and a square wear mark on it. It also stuck in parts of its travel.

This time I just gave the plunger a light rub by hand with 1200 paper and also lightly ran around inside the Barrel with paper over a pen to ensure there wasn't anything causing the marks.

Slides like a well lubed ( XXX ) in a ( yyy ) now. :lol:

I'll have to wait until my temp rust treatment around the battery mount dries before I can start up to test.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Well the first spin after reassembly and it goes much better again. Goes up hills. :lol:

Still got a loud rattle from the rocker area and the visco fan has got to go soon.

Valve clearance will be the next item on the list.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scumbag on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:11 am

Just did this "mod" on my 2009 mn 2.5L, seems like night a day!
im really impressed, was surging carrying on, not making power etc
hammers now, very happy thank your for taking the time to write this all up.

might have got a little excited, it drives really well, but after about 20seconds of idle its throws a code and goes into limp home mod... so balls.
scumbag

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Scumbag, you could try disconnecting the battery or remove the ECU fuse for an hour and then let the engine idle for 15mins after reconnecting power and from what I understand this should do a SQR. Alternately get a stealer to wack the MUTT on and do a tune.

Did my first longer drive today since the SCV clean and its definitely better. I was amazed that wear marks had appeared a year after the initial treatment, suggesting there may only be two or three shots at it before a replacement will ultimately be required.

The other interesting observation was the visible deposits of dye from the 2stroke sitting in the groves, etc.

You seriously have to wonder if contaminants are wearing the SCV, what's happening in the pump and injectors?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scumbag on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:54 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Scumbag, you could try disconnecting the battery or remove the ECU fuse for an hour and then let the engine idle for 15mins after reconnecting power and from what I understand this should do a SQR. Alternately get a stealer to wack the MUTT on and do a tune.

Did my first longer drive today since the SCV clean and its definitely better. I was amazed that wear marks had appeared a year after the initial treatment, suggesting there may only be two or three shots at it before a replacement will ultimately be required.

The other interesting observation was the visible deposits of dye from the 2stroke sitting in the groves, etc.

You seriously have to wonder if contaminants are wearing the SCV, what's happening in the pump and injectors?

ah okay didnt know you could do this.

i idles fine for 15-20 seconds and if you give it a slight rev it wont die in the ass.
just if you let it go...
was just going to buy a new SCV tomorrow morning?
whats involved with MUTT tune?
scumbag

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm not at all convinced disconnecting the battery will cause an SQL.

The mut3 SQL basically calibrates your injection quantities with a computer. Which you need done if you get a new SCV and don't want those quantities to be inaccurate.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Stoneman on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:26 pm

Changing the SCV requires for the supply pump to be reset/calibrated

If you read the manual it also states it will do an injection relearn periodically

Can't remember how it goes

I'm still a believer to do it every service but
Stoneman

Postby scumbag on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:06 am

so everyone who has "serviced" their scv has taken it too the dealer to get mut3 ran?
scumbag

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:12 am

No, I would expect not. But they're putting back in a worn unit that will be close to the learned values stored by the ECU anyway.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby scumbag on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:52 am

yeah okay perhaps mine was too far gone or something, no choice but to replace it i guess. thanks for the help.
replaced it today, with a new genuine one for $170, runs heaps better.
engine doesnt go into limp home mode and the engine light is no longer displayed.

local stealership wanted $141 to reprogram it and said it would take an hour and they would need it for 2 or so hours.
scumbag

Repairing the SCV Suction control valve

Postby biggibbo on Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Just skip it till next service. It will just use the learned values it already has stored. They will usually throw in the SQL with the service if you ask
biggibbo

Postby scumbag on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:03 pm

biggibbo wrote:Just skip it till next service. It will just use the learned values it already has stored. They will usually throw in the SQL with the service if you ask

theres not a dam chance its going to the dealer for a service lol.
prob throw a new fuel filter on it this weekend just for good measure though.
scumbag

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 pm

The mutt probably does a coarse adjustment to bring the components within a given range and then tweaks the calibrations to spec.

Its amazing what the ecu actually gets up to with each revolution of the crank. From what I read the ecu will fine tune (do a SQL) over approx. 15mins of engine idle.

In normal operation, the ecu is constantly measuring the effect of each injection on each respective cylinder. It will adjust fuel quantiles to a cylinder after measuring if the ignition of fuel in a particular cylinder caused the crank to rotate at a different speed compared to the other cylinders. In other words the effective output of each cylinder is constantly compared and respective tweaks made to the actual fuel delivery.

I'm convinced that some/all manufacturers probably have a detuning algorithm running in the ecus. All my more recent vehicles (fuel injected) seem to have a new punchier feel after getting hooked up to the dealer computer. What a good business model!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett's on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:56 am

Hi guys, just to confirm, replacing the scv with a new one requires the dealer to put the mutt and calibrate it, or is it just a matter of removing old scv and installing the new one ?
Cheers brett
Brett's

Postby coughy on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:08 pm

yes you should get the mut over it to tune it
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems