2T and warranty issues?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: 2T and warranty issues?

Postby leonbee on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:26 pm

I am only stating what I have research on the web and adding my 2T driving experience results. I might add I also calculated the fuel usage manually. it was not a computer which are sometimes not accurate.

I suppose I should do it again to confirm the results. Someone else doing a long trip might like to try it and add the results. All freeway driving.

Not sure about bio, you could be right. Might be why Mitsubishi only permits bio at below 5% concentration.
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:36 am

Adding 2T has a 162 micron improvement in lubrication at 100ml you will safely add 81 microns to a ULSD system.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17313#p444226
leonbee

Postby Crash486 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:14 am

BMcQ, isn't that just 180ml saving or did you subtract the additional 250ml of oil you add each fill?
Crash486

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:33 am

Crash486 wrote:BMcQ, isn't that just 180ml saving or did you subtract the additional 250ml of oil you add each fill?

It's not 430ml per tank, my overall fuel consumption went down by 0.430L/100km
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:14 am

Mr 4wd has run an article on 2Stroke basically poo pooing its use. Ie 4wds aren't lawn mowers.

The ole ml loves the stuff, not fussy if it's mineral, shandy or the ' top shelf' syn.

The article largely focused on lubrication and that 2stroke offered no benefits.
There was attention to injector clogging and cetane ratings.

My real world experiences;

Motor runs smoother when 2stroke is added and if missed for a couple of tanks there is noticeably more clatter.

When I fitted the last SCV, I was determined to maintain the addition on a regular basis and so far this unit has lasted the longest and not shown any symptoms of surging.

So from my observations, on the road, it must help keep things cleaner, possibly helping prevent contaminants from jamming up the SCV plunger, cleaning combustion chamber and improving combustion.

Lab tests in the article determined none of these benefits.

Vehicles with DPFs may have to be more cautious wrt byproducts from burning 2stroke.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:41 am

Pretty much my experience too, RHK, and I did read that article, with a slightly raised eyebrow. Not saying it's wrong, but I had the impression that it existed to justify a position.

There is less rattle and clatter and it seems to be smoother. I can't detect any difference in performance or fuel consumption (haven't really tried that hard).

I haven't had to change an SCV but despite almost homeopathic quantities (200ml per 88l tank) my opinion is that it softens injector, pump and SCV noise and provides some additional lubrication in the pre-combustion route. Maybe also in the combustion process as well.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Most good 2 stroke oils contain polyisobutylene (spelling?) which will modify the burn rate. The slightly slower burn reduces the characteristic diesel knock. Although the ratio is homeopathic almost in dilution, there is still some lubrication value.
Some 2 stroke outboards are running 300:1 ratios at low loadings without undue wear occurring.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:29 pm

Well mine now has over 178000klms on clock and been using 2T since it was around 45 to 50 000klms. I find if I forget the 2T for a few tanks it runs noisier. My mechanic always says what a sweet sounding engine and so far have never had to do anything to the motor at all, no adjustments or anything. I reckon the fact that I have run 2T in the motor all the time is the reason it still runs as quiet as it did a 100000klms ago. I wouldn't be without my 2T :D
deermaster

Postby jrs184 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:29 pm

I used 2T and chemtech together as an additive every full tank for 70,000 in my ML, no surging quiet running smooth and no hiccoughs no black smoke, I got convinced it burned cleaner as i saw photos of a pulled down engine that had been using it and there was no ash or carbon build up on the internals...valves injector tips all clean...50ml chemtech to 100ml2T (castrol mineral only)after a two initial 300ml doses..also my glow plug light went out after 1.5 seconds when cold starting..great engine.
jrs184

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:30 am

Referring back to the article poo pooing 2T; if diesel fuel has the lubrication ability stated, why do the SCV's plungers scuff so much?

This component is designed to work at the limits of a foofer valve and shouldn't wear out so quick in a sea of fluid.

My current SCV has lasted the best so far (touch wood - it keeps going) with regular 2T dosing.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:32 am

Distillate, which is commonly and erroneously called Diesel Fuel, has to power a whole range of different engines. From earthmoving equipment to stationary generators to trucks, large and small and, of course, light vehicle high output common rail engines like those in Tritons.

Not all have exactly the same requirements for their fuel and not all have SCVs.

Lubricity needs vary as do the filtration systems needed and/or installed. A cleaner fuel with higher lubricity is what we need, hence the fitment of additional filters and the use of 2T.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:29 am

Just replaced my original SCV the other day, it lasted 9years and 190k kms without the use of any 2stroke during its life.. so yeah I don't think using 2t is harmful but I do think it's a waste of time if you're using 2micron filtration and a bottle of injector cleaner every now and then.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 pm

9yrs for a SCV is not a bad run.

Can certainly brag you got you're money's worth.

Have you done an autopsy yet on the valve?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SLIMaxPower on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:50 pm

My oem SCV lasted 1 year. One of Tony's Hi-Spec SCV about 2 years. Ebay cheapy 3 months. Currently using a Hi-Spec SCV from chip it industries, about 3 months old.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:08 pm

RHKTriton wrote:9yrs for a SCV is not a bad run.

Can certainly brag you got you're money's worth.

Have you done an autopsy yet on the valve?
No, it went straight in the bin, too hard to pull apart as mine is the non serviceable one, blue plug.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems