2T and warranty issues?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

2T and warranty issues?

Postby jman on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:34 am

Have been using 2T with regularity and know of the potential benefits, mainly the quieter engine was my reasoning for using it with just the bonus of the other benefits.

BUT noticed in another thread a member stated he was told that 2T will void warranty as it blocks fuel filter. This could be the deal breaker for use of the 2T.

Can anyone confirm this? Surely 100-150 ml per tank would completely mix and not cause any issues, these are not highly tuned race cars after all!

BTW search hates 2T and I have found and read all the snippets before I started using the stuff.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Re: 2T and warranty issues?

Postby variflex on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:00 am

Why not just amend your filter change intervals, throw a new filter in every 5000 instead of the prescribed 15000 or 30000 whatever the book says
variflex

Postby hvac guy on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:16 am

I think its just a dealer scare tactic with no real proof of his statement
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:06 am

IIRC the standard filter is around 5µm. Supplementary filters go down to 2µm.

I would have thought that the 2T would be completely dissolved and that the additive molecule chain length would be around that of 20-40 carbon atoms in length, although nowhere near that in practice since the molecules are curled up. They'd pass straight through a 2µm filter without even seeing the sides.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mattz on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:12 am

Would it cause any damage even if it did block the filter? Which I doubt it would.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a blocked filter only cause lack of power or eventually stop the motor (if badly blocked enough) until a new filter was installed and then resume back to normal operating?
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby deermaster on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:39 am

mattz wrote:Would it cause any damage even if it did block the filter? Which I doubt it would.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a blocked filter only cause lack of power or eventually stop the motor (if badly blocked enough) until a new filter was installed and then resume back to normal operating?

That's the way I look at it. I run two filters in my ML and I also use 2T and have been using it for over a year and no problems at all. Never had a blocked filter and only change them when I feel they might need it. My first change was after doing 25000ks :D
deermaster

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:56 am

I read that comment last night and my reaction was, well that's clearly bullshit - but the bloke was already having a bad day so I didn't feel the need to say it at the time.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:44 pm

deermaster wrote:
mattz wrote:Would it cause any damage even if it did block the filter? Which I doubt it would.

That's the way I look at it. I run two filters in my ML and I also use 2T and have been using it for over a year and no problems at all. Never had a blocked filter and only change them when I feel they might need it. My first change was after doing 25000ks :D

Just like 'deermaster' I also run two filters on my 2010 MN ie, the OEM Mitsui fuel filter and an extra 3uM Donaldson external filter and I've also been using Castrol Activ 2T (FC Rated --Mineral Oil-- based 2 Stroke) for over 12 months without any problems at all. In fact the 2T has well and truly fixed the previous 'sticky SCV' problems and associated symptoms (misfiring and shuddering while cruising on light throttle at 80km/hr and clouds of black smoke and giant turbo lag on take-off) that I was starting to experience before I chose to try adding it to my old girl's dino-juice with each refill .... ;)
I have though indeed, read warnings on UK diesel forums, about --avoiding-- the use of any --synthetic-- based 2T 'oils' because it can apparently cause 'gelling' of the diesel in their European climate, which of course, would quickly block any fuel filters and/or possibly even worse...!
So I think the 2T --key-- here, is to only ever, use FC Rated --Mineral Oil-- based 2T ie, a very clean burning and very low ash deposit forming 2 Stroke Oil which mixes readily and completely with diesel, and --avoid-- like a dose of the bubonic plague, using any --synthetic-- based 2T 'oils'... ;)
The other thing I would add to this conversation is the recommended dose rate. Initially I started out using 300ml of 2T per full tank (say 60 litres) refill to achieve the recommended 1 part per 200 dilution ratio that was mentioned on the European forums, however, now that the 2T has (apparently) successfully cleaned up and un-stuck my SCV I have more recently dropped it back to adding just 100ml per full tank (60 litres) refill ie, about a 1 part per 600 dilution ratio and so far, the old girl's still behaving sweetly... :D
Last edited by AnOldFart on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jman on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:23 pm

All good info here. Been using the Castrol Activ 2T like lots of others here, very happy with it. I was thinking of just not adding 2T just the week before service was due, then no evidence in fuel (hopefully) according to you guys. Might also save me a total of about 60 cents also!

Just wondering what quantity of 2T others were using. I settled on 100-150ml per tank (usually somewhere in between, whatever slurps out of my old 'bug off' bottle that lives in my passenger door drink holder!)

Also is it worth persisting with every tank or equal benefit every 2nd or so?

Happy to hear that the warranty thing is a non issue.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby leonbee on Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:25 pm

O.k I posted the comment in another thread regards to the 2T blocking the fuel filter. I asked the dealer out of curiosity about additives and 2T after having put petrol in my tank and having it drained.
Ask a silly question get a silly answer. It would not be very professional of the dealer to agree. Also it was the counter staff not the mechanic. If the mechanic was a good bloke he probably slipped some in for me before firing her up.

Do I use Castrol 2T motor cycle oil ? No as the manufacturer does not recommend it. Do I trust diesel suppliers to add enough lubrication? Yep. :roll: Is supplied diesel lubricated enough anyway. Sure. :roll:

Add 1ml of 2T to 500ml of diesel. Drop it through a paper towel. Now drop 500ml of diesel through a paper towel. Results are the same. No problem. End of story. Now stick a finger in each and feel the difference in lubrication.
'
2T is an old trick goes back yonks. However, you must be careful as noted in the fact or friction thread lubricity study. Not recommended for common rail. 100ml of low ash should be ok and plenty to lube the pump. Any more will change the viscosity (to thick) and ULSD have very tight tolerance due to the high pressure may cause more harm (wear) then good. Like some commercial additives.

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educati ... esults.pdf

The biggest problem is dirty fuel so regular filter changes or having 2 is even better.

Now! your wondering, was it the 2T that saved my fuel pump, when I accidently filled her up with petrol instead of diesel. Well can’t really say because I can’t really say that I use it. One thing for sure the 2T debate goes on so I will leave you to ponder. Is 2T Crap or Legend………….. :D
leonbee

Postby deermaster on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:01 pm

jman wrote:All good info here. Been using the Castrol Activ 2T like lots of others here, very happy with it. I was thinking of just not adding 2T just the week before service was due, then no evidence in fuel (hopefully) according to you guys. Might also save me a total of about 60 cents also!

Just wondering what quantity of 2T others were using. I settled on 100-150ml per tank (usually somewhere in between, whatever slurps out of my old 'bug off' bottle that lives in my passenger door drink holder!)

Also is it worth persisting with every tank or equal benefit every 2nd or so?

Happy to hear that the warranty thing is a non issue.

I used to put in 150mm to every tank, now I don't do that. Every two or three tanks I will add a little motor mower oil additive bottle with 175mm of 2T in it. In my way of thinking when I filled up before, sometimes I put more fuel in than other times, so I reckon every three tanks is enough to put it in. Whether I am doing right or wrong I don't know, but mine still runs sweet and doesn't rattle. The little 200mm Mower additive bottle is small and handy to carry in the truck too as the bigger bottles always seemed to get in the way. :D

And to Leonbee I reckon its Legend :lol:
deermaster

Postby leonbee on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Baby bottles would work well, fit nice in the door cup holder ready for when you fill up. :lol:

Myth or Legend........................... ;)
leonbee

Postby kxboss on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:09 am

I just make sure the lids tight on the litre bottle and thro under the front passenger seat.
I add 100-200ml regularly when I remember to replace the empty bottle :lol:
kxboss

Postby mad992 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Is everyone still putting 2T in the tank :?:
mad992

Postby jman on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:26 pm

Yep most fill ups start with approx 150ml slurp of Activ 2T then in with diesel. Just shy of 30k in 12mths and nice and quiet since started using the stuff. No ill effects but I do want fuel filter changed next service so I can cut open to inspect myself.
Will continue with the 2T unless I find an issue with it cos it does do what I wanted which is to keep the thing quiet, other benefits are just a bonus.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby Tony on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:57 pm

What a load of rubbish. :roll: Oil as such will not block your filters, only thing plausible is the viscosity being heavier effecting flow rates and the amount you guys are using would make no difference anyway.

Is totally harmless assuming not contaminated.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:15 pm

do you run 2t tony ??
snakesoup

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Ommmmm. ( lots of navel gazing). Ommmmm

Pretty apparent it has an effect. You can hear the difference within a few minutes and the drive is noticeably smoother.

I'm more concerned about the fuel tank breather location wrt dirt getting into the fuel or a bloody mud wasp clogging it up one day.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:50 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Ommmmm. ( lots of navel gazing). Ommmmm
Pretty apparent it has an effect. You can hear the difference within a few minutes and the drive is noticeably smoother.
I'm more concerned about the fuel tank breather location wrt dirt getting into the fuel or a bloody mud wasp clogging it up one day.

Stick a small piece of sponge rubber over the end of it and fix it there with a small zip-tie.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:32 am

I use 250ml of mineral 2T every fill. I fill up when it drops under 1 quarter. I recently performed an experiment (over a 10 week period) with and without 2T. Subjectively, the engine is quieter and smoother with 2T. Objectively, there was a significant difference in fuel consumption. On average, the consumption went down by 430ml per 100km. On a full tank of fuel, that is a pretty significant extension to the operational range.

As I drive the same mixed freeway/urban 140km trip every day, at the same time, I considered it to be a fairly good "real world" test (PM me if you want details of the test conditions).
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:42 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:I use 250ml of mineral 2T every fill. I fill up when it drops under 1 quarter. I recently performed an experiment (over a 10 week period) with and without 2T. Subjectively, the engine is quieter and smoother with 2T. Objectively, there was a significant difference in fuel consumption. On average, the consumption went down by 430ml per 100km. On a full tank of fuel, that is a pretty significant extension to the operational range.

As I drive the same mixed freeway/urban 140km trip every day, at the same time, I considered it to be a fairly good "real world" test (PM me if you want details of the test conditions).

hi mate so how many lph are you using?
snakesoup

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Yes AOF, I was thinking along those lines, maybe a small inline fuel filter with a diffuser over its inlet.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:31 am

snakesoup wrote:hi mate so how many lph are you using?

I average 7.9L/100km

*edited for typo on number.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:36 pm

I have read reports 2T is not very good for modern ULSD systems as it changes the viscosity which can damage the system. ULSD have a tight tolerance.

I Use 2t occasionally 100ml per tank. On the way back from a Brisbane trip I was getting 8 Litres per tank. I decided to drop in some 2T. I accidentally added 300ml. My next tank went up to 10l per hundred. The next tank I again got 8 Lltres per hundred.

I assumed the viscosity change was the cause. It may however be a coincidence and other factors caused the increase in fuel.

Apparently the best and safest lubricant is found in bio-diesel in the form of fatty acids. Bio however has its down sides.
leonbee

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:56 pm

I have a little trouble believing that the viscosity would change especially at 200-300:1 ratios. I doubt it would make a measurable difference. Biofuel on the other hand would be more viscous.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Fuel Systems