Fuel Saving Advice

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel Saving Advice

Postby 2dads on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd pass on some info that is good for when you fill up ur rig.
1. Fill your car early morning as the fuel is cooler and denser (just like air) the hotter the day the thinner the fuel gets.
2. Fill slowly as pumps have a vapor return pipe in the nozzle. If you go fast more fuel turns to vapor(after it is past the meter) and is returned back into the under ground tank, which means you have paid for fuel you are not getting.

Just a few helpful hints I thought I'd pass on.
I'm a Petroleum Operator in the Army by the way.
Without Fuel: Pilots are Pedestrians
2dads

Re: Fuel Saving Advice

Postby Eelesy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Good tips, thanks mate
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby jop on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:06 pm

So highflow is bad?
:cry:
jop

Postby Naff on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:46 pm

jop wrote:So highflow is bad?
:cry:

If there was a huge difference in the Hi-flow department - trucks wouldn't use it, and new cars wouldn't be fitted with hi-flow abilities. Manufacturers are all selling on the fuel consumption figures (notably more so these days) and the Volkswagon is advertising in their brochures. If it was going to negatively impact those figures you would think it wouldn't be done. Trucks are quite fuel efficient when you consider their weight and directly compare it to a car.. I read it somewhere - it made sense. Also, Hi-flow are just bigger nozzles with probable stronger pumps - the vapour return is only going to be proportional to the smaller nozzles and from a mechanical perspective and flow instrumentation background - the higher the velocity, the more accurate the flow reading is.

There's always been speculation about temperature affects on fuels - but when you really think about it, such a large volume of fuel, under the ground several meters.. it ain't going to warm up much at all is it?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:56 pm

I have to agree with Nathan. However, gas is another matter. I know one way to reduce gas bills is to cool the gas prior to the metre (domestic gas). Probably illigal.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby 2dads on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:29 am

NaffX214:

You would be very suprised how much fuel will heat up and how quickly, even if it is under ground. Remember there are Big metal Vent pipes several meters out of the ground, and what happens when you heat one end of metal and hold the other? Your hand will get hot too.
Somemore info.
Unleaded has a flashpoint of -40 degrees and thats only because they could not get the fuel cooler. at -40 Unleaded will produce vapour(bad for 2 reasons- Fire risk and less fuel)+ friction from hoses and pump heat Unleaded can be over 30degree going into your car

Distilite has a flashpoint of 61.5 degrees which makes it a Combustable Liquid(anything under 60degree is a Flammable Liquid). Distilite doesn't heat up as much throught the vent tube, but with Friction and Heat from the pump it does get hot.

Also info on Aviation fuel.
Avgas is a finer "cut" Unleaded so it can be used in a Unleaded car, octaine is 110-130 depending on the company . My V8 was on this for 3 months and it kicked ass. But bad news is that after long use your Cats get f#$#ed. Cleans injectors good too. And Power increase.

Avtur is the finer cut of Distilite and it can be run in Diesel cars, We had a 2.5kva Genny running for 2 months straight(24/7) just on Avtur and no service (fitters wern't happy) and we were averaging 3.2kva.
Avtur flashpoint is 34degrees so it burns better and has less oil (still lubes good)
Without Fuel: Pilots are Pedestrians
2dads

Postby Naff on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:30 pm

All I know is, the tips you posted 2dads were the same tips that circled around in emails years ago and there was all sorts of theories and subsequent quashing of those theories. We have a 4000L tank of diesel in site being used to run a 500kVA generator at the moment - suffice to say, the diesel use has been consistant every hour for the last 10 days and it has been significantly warmer through the middle of the day to that of the middle of the night.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Fuel Systems