Liqui Moly

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Liqui Moly

Postby murwullambah on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Has anyone tried Liqui Moly diesel intake cleaner as a fix to clear carboned up intake manifold
murwullambah

Re: Liqui Moly

Postby viking shippy on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:55 am

Liquimolly don't make a manifold cleaner..... Manual removing.... is the only way you can throughly clean the upper and lower manifolds
in my opinion spraying caustic shit though a dry manifold is not efficient and risky...
Liquid Molly deisel purge plus....is a fuel system cleaner and your ute is direct injection....if the diesel went though the manifolds we wouldn't have carbon buildup..
I use it occasionally as it keeps your fuel system clean...
viking shippy

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:12 am

With all the concerns with fuel and air filters keeping out the finest impurities, why would someone then be willing to crack aload of crap off the inlet manifold to potentially damage valves and seats or the turbo. You could also possibly gunk up the cat.

A redesign of the fuel plumbing would be good to allow easier removal of the intake manifold for cleaning.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:21 am

With all the concerns with fuel and air filters keeping out the finest impurities, why would someone then be willing to crack aload of crap off the inlet manifold to potentially damage valves and seats or the turbo. You could also possibly gunk up the cat.

A redesign of the fuel plumbing would be good to allow easier removal of the intake manifold for cleaning.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby murwullambah on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrpxoxYmPsc

For those quick to dismiss watch video, not technicaly a manifold cleaner but must help.
As seen in video used on a Mercedes diesel but amature mechanics on here know that you will wreck your engine,
so Liqui moly must employ idiots to develop this stuff, i dont think.
murwullambah

Postby murwullambah on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:47 pm

RHKTriton, what is your qualification to sugest this is a bad idea?, taking off manifold is a big job for a home mechanic, i would like to get detailed instructions if anyone has done it on a 2.5 4D56 VGT
murwullambah

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:59 pm

With an aggressive/combative attitude like that you're not going to get a lot of volunteers to answer your questions.

The point bring made above is that as you dissolve the crap it is going into your engine. And as pointed out a lot of people are double filtering their fuel, putting catch cans on the oil recirculation line and of course we all filter the air intake. So there is a contrast there between lots of care about what goes into our engines and this approach of spraying some sort of solvent into the guts of it with chunks of carbon added, assuming it dissolves the deposits.

I'm no expert, and it may simply get burned and spat out the exhaust, but it is not a concept that appeals to me. You may take a different view but since you're asking for opinions I've added mine.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby biggibbo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:36 pm

The video looks like it cleans where it contacts, but what going on further down in the manifolds is anyone's guess. All that dissolved crap has to end up somewhere. No way I would be using it on my engine. Maybe the OP can give it a crack and let us know how it goes
biggibbo

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:02 pm

biggibbo wrote:The video looks like it cleans where it contacts, but what going on further down in the manifolds is anyone's guess. All that dissolved crap has to end up somewhere. No way I would be using it on my engine. Maybe the OP can give it a crack and let us know how it goes

x2 .... ;)
So that now makes 2 votes for the OP to "try it out" and then, get back to the rest of us old fashioned "manifold removers" and let us know how he gets on ... ;)
I'm still waiting to hear from anybody who has tried using an "industrial" strength Gerni / Water Blaster to de-carbon their manifolds, once removed....? I'm certainly willing to give it a crack myself but I dont -currently- plan on removing my manifolds for awhile longer yet, fingers crossed .... :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby murwullambah on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:35 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:With an aggressive/combative attitude like that you're not going to get a lot of volunteers to answer your questions.

The point bring made above is that as you dissolve the crap it is going into your engine. And as pointed out a lot of people are double filtering their fuel, putting catch cans on the oil recirculation line and of course we all filter the air intake. So there is a contrast there between lots of care about what goes into our engines and this approach of spraying some sort of solvent into the guts of it with chunks of carbon added, assuming it dissolves the deposits.

I'm no expert, and it may simply get burned and spat out the exhaust, but it is not a concept that appeals to me. You may take a different view but since you're asking for opinions I've added mine.

It is not an aggressive attitude just stating that people are quick to diss these products that have no doubt had many thousands of dollars spent on R&D, but if you think you know better than these people that is your decision.
I was just asking what qualifies people to make rash statements, that is if we are still allowed to disagree.
murwullambah

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Is be happy to run my vehicle from new with this stuff to stay like new, like lots of the other mods/ prevention
Not keen to clean the gunk through the engine
At that stage I would be looking to remove from the vehicle and manually clean
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:58 pm

viking shippy wrote:Liquimolly don't make a manifold cleaner..... Manual removing.... is the only way you can throughly clean the upper and lower manifolds
in my opinion spraying caustic shit though a dry manifold is not efficient and risky...
Liquid Molly deisel purge plus....is a fuel system cleaner and your ute is direct injection....if the diesel went though the manifolds we wouldn't have carbon buildup..
I use it occasionally as it keeps your fuel system clean...

Click to view larger picture
http://gcg.com.au/category/workshop/eng ... 0ml-detail
L200Shogun

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:59 pm

More than a few have used this or similar product on Facebook and NewHilux and are happy with the results.
L200Shogun

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Yes the video identified that product. I guess shippy could argue semantics and say they call it an intake cleaner and not a manifold cleaner.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion OP. You can express them all day long if you like. My point is that if you pose a question having made it pretty clear you don't know much about the subject it's pretty poor form to start questioning people's qualifications and ridiculing them by reference to the manufacturer being smarter.

But hey that's just my opinion, what would I know? The old saying that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar comes to mind though.

AOF I'm sure I've read of someone who did use a gerni at some point. I think I'd be too worried that if it did work it would spray black crap everywhere.

Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:17 pm

I am past caring what people do or don't do. I would use those products as preventative maintenance. I doubt they will clean a very dirty inlet manifold the "workshop" quality ones sometimes need 2 attempts to clean the system.
L200Shogun

Postby al coholic on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:19 pm

murwullambah wrote:Has anyone tried Liqui Moly diesel intake cleaner as a fix to clear carboned up intake manifold

No I haven't.
But I have had to remove the manifold and clean it on our 3.2l Pajero.
The job is not overly difficult, just time consuming

If you think there is enough carbon gunk in your manifold that it is affecting the performance of your vehicle (I'm assuming yes, otherwise you wouldn't be asking) then I can 100% guarantee this product will not clean the manifold effectively.
You may be lucky and find it clears it up for a while.....but if I was you, I'd set aside a Saturday and do the job properly ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby murwullambah on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yes the video identified that product. I guess shippy could argue semantics and say they call it an intake cleaner and not a manifold cleaner.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion OP. You can express them all day long if you like. My point is that if you pose a question having made it pretty clear you don't know much about the subject it's pretty poor form to start questioning people's qualifications and ridiculing them by reference to the manufacturer being smarter.

But hey that's just my opinion, what would I know? The old saying that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar comes to mind though.

AOF I'm sure I've read of someone who did use a gerni at some point. I think I'd be too worried that if it did work it would spray black crap everywhere.

Jumping to conclusions again, why is it clear i know nothing about the subject, for your information i know a lot about the subject, i dont see the person that was so called ridiculed moaning on here just YOU, seems to me you like the sound of your own voice. You get them in every club a mini hitler, you are now trying to ridicule me by assuming i know nothing on the subject, im guessing you will be reporting me to adnin next or do they already know you.
murwullambah

Postby snowman on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:55 pm

murwullambah wrote:Has anyone tried Liqui Moly diesel intake cleaner as a fix to clear carboned up intake manifold

no
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:04 pm

No need to keep carrying on about it mate. I was trying to give you some advice but you're clearly too clever to listen to others. The funny bit is that I'm one of the most helpful people on here and could have helped you if you hadn't carried on as you have. Clearly though my advice isn't welcome so I won't bother giving you any more.

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:07 pm

murwullambah wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Yes the video identified that product. I guess shippy could argue semantics and say they call it an intake cleaner and not a manifold cleaner.

Jumping to conclusions again, why is it clear i know nothing about the subject, for your information i know a lot about the subject, i dont see the person that was so called ridiculed moaning on here just YOU, seems to me you like the sound of your own voice. You get them in every club a mini hitler, you are now trying to ridicule me by assuming i know nothing on the subject, im guessing you will be reporting me to adnin next or do they already know you.

LOL. Oh dear
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scumbag on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:15 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
biggibbo wrote:The video looks like it cleans where it contacts, but what going on further down in the manifolds is anyone's guess. All that dissolved crap has to end up somewhere. No way I would be using it on my engine. Maybe the OP can give it a crack and let us know how it goes

x2 .... ;)
So that now makes 2 votes for the OP to "try it out" and then, get back to the rest of us old fashioned "manifold removers" and let us know how he gets on ... ;)
I'm still waiting to hear from anybody who has tried using an "industrial" strength Gerni / Water Blaster to de-carbon their manifolds, once removed....? I'm certainly willing to give it a crack myself but I dont -currently- plan on removing my manifolds for awhile longer yet, fingers crossed .... :D

used my pressure hose on mine... didnt work very well honestly.
it did budge a bunch of shit, that and ct-18 that i use on my bike, got rid of "some"
next step was to fill tape the inlet manifold off bar one spot, and fill it with a very strong solution of sodium hydroxide(caustic soda) water and ct-18 (http://www.chemtech.net.au/cr_ec_ct18.html)
now this did move a fair bit of it let it sit for a while... but not for ages... as it will dissolve ally...

then hit it with the pressure hose, moved alot of rubbish i couldnt get too, did a reasonable job.. then to finish it off i used my soda blaster which was very effective.

if your going to use sodium hydroxide on anything, please do some reading, its very nasty and could easily send you blind.
scumbag

Postby srb on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:02 pm

After seeing first hand how bad these manifolds can get with carbon build-up, I'd say you'd be wasting time and money on these products. Like other have already said best to just remove and clean them manually, then possibly use the intake cleaner for maintenance to avoid the build up in the first place. ;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Also worth noting the 3.2 manifold is relatively easy to clean (by comparison, still not great) compared to the 2.5 which is a real task...

That's if you want it properly clean I mean...

I think Triton Wreckers have these in stock exchange.
Unless you own an engine reco business you wont clean them like they do...just sayin' ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby murwullambah on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies, i realise that if the manifold is severely blocked it will have to be removed to clean properly, maybe this stuff would be a good preventative measure as sugested

If these is anybody has attempted to remove a 2.5 manifold and has any pics it would be helpfull
How can you tell if you have the new manifold fitted as i bought mine used with a few kays on it, should have been done by dealer before now but thats big dealers for you.
murwullambah

Postby Maxiy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:27 am

I am about to put an EGR blanking chip in from TONY at SPV industries, hopefully that should help reduce my carbon build-up
Maxiy

Next

Return to Fuel Systems