Domin8r Exhaust

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Domin8r Exhaust

Postby biggibbo on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:16 am

I had the ramp up valve. Really made no difference. In the end, took it out as I was chasing other issues and was eliminating 1 thing at a time. Can't be stuffed putting it back in as the triton begins retirement tomorrow.
biggibbo

Postby kcdusk on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:13 am

Logged in this morning all pumped to get some info on a few new additions to the "Mighty Triton"*, but after reading this thread i'm kinda bummed now.

I was going to ask if a 3 inch exhaust really makes any difference. Does it really improve power AND fuel economy? I have a 2008 Triton.

I was also going to ask what the best engine chip to get was, looking to do the same thing (increase power and better economy). But reading this thread it sounds like both options have some issues.

I am frequently towing a TVan through sand hills and over taking trucks. Not sure i want limp mode to kick in. This sounds like a serious issue and enough to put me off.

* = to be classed as a "Mighty Triton" you have to have done the Oodnadatta track, birdsville and strezlekki tracks, towed through the simpson, binns track and Googs track. A high bar has been set, but you have to earn the "Mighty Triton" moniker.
kcdusk

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:23 am

Most of the above discussion about problems was about the 2.5. In 2008 you should have the 3.2, so you should be able to ignore most of the above.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:37 am

Maybe the limping is ultimately kicked in on temperature. Boost is only on of several inputs to the ECU.

The [censored] of parameters includes throttle, fuel rate, coolant temp, fuel temp, rail pressure, boost, revs, air mass and possibly rates of change with any of these.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby emjayar on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:05 am

kcdusk wrote:Logged in this morning all pumped to get some info on a few new additions to the "Mighty Triton"*, but after reading this thread i'm kinda bummed now.

I was going to ask if a 3 inch exhaust really makes any difference. Does it really improve power AND fuel economy? I have a 2008 Triton.

I was also going to ask what the best engine chip to get was, looking to do the same thing (increase power and better economy). But reading this thread it sounds like both options have some issues.

I am frequently towing a TVan through sand hills and over taking trucks. Not sure i want limp mode to kick in. This sounds like a serious issue and enough to put me off.

* = to be classed as a "Mighty Triton" you have to have done the Oodnadatta track, birdsville and strezlekki tracks, towed through the simpson, binns track and Googs track. A high bar has been set, but you have to earn the "Mighty Triton" moniker.

on the 4M41T it is definitely worth it... Best money I spent.... better fuel economy and a touch more power.

I purchased mine from Scott's Rods the forum sponsor... well worth it.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby kcdusk on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:16 pm

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Yes, 2008 model triton, auto. 3.2l engine.

Will a 2.75 or 3.00 inch exhaust improve power and economy?

Which engine chip is most reliable for improving power and economy?

Is an exhaust or chip the first step? Do they really make a noticeable difference? I am often towing a camper (1.5t) on dirt but also doing sand work.
kcdusk

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Improved power and economy is a bit of an unlikely equation I'm afraid. You typically get more power out of these vehicles by upping fuel input (or boost).
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:45 pm

kcdusk wrote:OK, thanks for the clarification.

Yes, 2008 model triton, auto. 3.2l engine.

Will a 2.75 or 3.00 inch exhaust improve power and economy?

Which engine chip is most reliable for improving power and economy?

Is an exhaust or chip the first step? Do they really make a noticeable difference? I am often towing a camper (1.5t) on dirt but also doing sand work.

$750 for an exhaust that gives a loss to a few kw. depending where you read.

$1200 to $1500 for a ECU remap. About 20kw and many claim better fuel economy. An exhaust with a tune might get another 5kw +/- a few more.

I think a stand alone exhaust is a waste of money. I would just get the ECU remap if you want power.

I have seen one comment that a 2.5" exhaust and tune made the same power as a 3" exhaust and tune. Only a few more than a standard exhaust.

YMMV
L200Shogun

Postby brew_s on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:07 pm

[quote$750 for an exhaust that gives a loss to a few kw. depending where you read.

$1200 to $1500 for a ECU remap. About 20kw and many claim better fuel economy. An exhaust with a tune might get another 5kw +/- a few more.

I have seen one comment that a 2.5" exhaust and tune made the same power as a 3" exhaust and tune. Only a few more than a standard exhaus[quote][/quote]

A lot of the time when changing exhausts with chips and ECU tunes its not about gaining extra power from it but lowering EGTs
brew_s

Postby kcdusk on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Sounds like theres not a lot to gain from the exhaust then? Or are people just chasing a better sound?

Is there a particular chip that people are using for 2008 3.2l triton auto? I'm in South Australia.
kcdusk

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:20 pm

There is a deal going on for a remap in SA
L200Shogun

Postby triton_guru on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:52 am

L200Shogun wrote:There is a deal going on for a remap in SA

How much for and where abouts? :)
triton_guru

Postby t.woods on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:23 am

I have fitted the 3inch domin8er exhaust. Mild steel one and got for 650 delivered. I have definitely noticed improvment in response and easier overtaking. I tow a trailer everyday to work full of tools and i definitely is easier on take off etc
Noise wise its a bit deeper and u can hear a whistle when ur near the exhaust. In cab i dont notice any noise/whistle. Fuel economy probably hasnt improved much. Maybe 1-1.5 ltrs per hundred. Could b better if u didnt use those extra kw it does give.
t.woods

Postby Jamesnewtriton on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:35 pm

t.woods wrote:I have fitted the 3inch domin8er exhaust. Mild steel one and got for 650 delivered. I have definitely noticed improvment in response and easier overtaking. I tow a trailer everyday to work full of tools and i definitely is easier on take off etc
Noise wise its a bit deeper and u can hear a whistle when ur near the exhaust. In cab i dont notice any noise/whistle. Fuel economy probably hasnt improved much. Maybe 1-1.5 ltrs per hundred. Could b better if u didnt use those extra kw it does give.

Hey mate. Is the whole dump pipe 2.5 inches? Or does it expand to 3inch straight after the dump flange?
Jamesnewtriton

Postby bad bill on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:28 pm

i just bought a domin8r 3' exhaust got delivered today,so we;ll see how it changes performance,hopefully good,will let ya no soon,
bad bill

Postby bad bill on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:30 pm

o i forgot to say its a stainles steel one.
bad bill

Postby Vaughan54 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:04 pm

bad bill wrote:o i forgot to say its a stainles steel one.
Bad Bill how did you find the exhaust?
Vaughan54

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:08 am

Vaughan54 wrote:
bad bill wrote:o i forgot to say its a stainles steel one.
Bad Bill how did you find the exhaust?

There is also some Domin8r info in this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20085&hilit=domin8r
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems