ECU remap and Dyno for WA members

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

ECU remap and Dyno for WA members

Postby sammy1 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:50 am

Howdy all,
I am in WA and am looking into getting a ECU remap and dyno done soon so have been enquiring around Perth. I came across these guys, http://www.infinitechtuning.com/ guy by the name of Roger and let him know the main issues I want sorted which are poor fuel economy 14-15L/100km around town and highway also turbo lag and lack of power for towing my camper trailer. My car has done 90,000km.

He emailed me back this,
Hi Sam,
Thank you for your email,
With regards to you Mitsubishi Triton we can remap the ECU with great results we can improve the torque by around 100 nm and 30 hp and all the issues you are having with turbo lag and lack of low down power will certainly be resolved with a remap.
Fuel economy will improve by around 15% and we can also delete the EGR program which will stop the inlet manifold clogging up which can cause poor fuel economy and black smoke which is quite common on Mitsubishi’s may be worth getting yours checked.
The cost for the remap is $995.

Kind Regards,
Roger McBride
Director

I questioned if the remap would be wiped if Mitsubishi had to fault find for a warranty issue and reset the ECU in the process but he said it hasn't been an issue before also that if for some reason it did they would reload your tune for free anyway.
He also said the remap doesn't include a dyno tune as this is normally extra $$, I said I would want a before and after dyno done to see the gains etc
I told him I had another mate that was keen on the remap as well and mentioned I was part of this forum to see if he'd do a deal for others?
He said he would include the dyno with the ECU remap and tune for $995 :D

I think it sounds pretty good compared to some other research I've done where guys have paid $1500+

Sorry for the long winded story but keen to hear other feedback on what you guys think.

Cheers
sammy1

Re: ECU remap and Dyno for WA members

Postby lowfly on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:21 am

I'm interested Sammy, interested to see some results.
lowfly

Postby sammy1 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:07 am

I am looking at end of August (due to working away)to get mine done so I will post up results as soon as I have them.

Anyone keen can contact them direct and speak to Roger let him know your part of the forum and it will only be $995.

Otherwise wait and ill be the test dummy for everyone anyways 8-)
sammy1

Postby keno351 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:27 am

iwill be looking for the results, thanks for the info
keno351

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:46 am

It seems a large number of workshops offer tunes today. I keep finding more and more even just in Perth.
Me if the car park at the workshop doesn't have a number of HP cars parked in it and they don't have a dyno I would go elsewhere.

If your goal is more HP then fuel consumption is not a consideration. More power is more fuel burnt. I worry when I see claims of 15% better economy and more power. YMMV
L200Shogun

Postby sammy1 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:18 am

L200Shogun wrote:It seems a large number of workshops offer tunes today. I keep finding more and more even just in Perth.
Me if the car park at the workshop doesn't have a number of HP cars parked in it and they don't have a dyno I would go elsewhere.

If your goal is more HP then fuel consumption is not a consideration. More power is more fuel burnt. I worry when I see claims of 15% better economy and more power. YMMV

Yeah I can understand where your coming from, for myself if I can get better torque/ hp and the fuel economy only improves slightly id be happy because at the moment I am only getting approx. 450-500km from a tank and it is a slug to drive also using 14-15l/100km.
thanks for the feed back
sammy1

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:22 am

L200Shogun wrote:

actually within reason i am going to contest that based on my experience.

i recently had my MRT (ECUtek) tune wiped by the dealer and the first two tanks of fuel have shown far worse consumption. I am no expert but i suspect that it is because you need far more RPM to get anywhere now - whilst before you were cruising around on the lower RPM band (even in the auto).

it is no drag racer of course but for low down drive-ability you can have both.

initially when the tune went on i reckon my mileage was pretty static - but with more power. With 'power expectations' once the tune came off I (and probably more so my wife who has been driving it pretty much full time recently due to her broken foot - needs the auto) has had the foot further to the floor to try and replicate what you are used to.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:27 am

Another WA member posted that he had a Tune done by United Fuel Injection in Redcliffe. $1500?
They would be on my short list.
I have seen United recommended before for other diesel work.

My first and only visit to a speed shop. I asked about better fuel economy. I remember getting looked at if I was special. :shock: Maybe diesels are different. YMMV
L200Shogun

Postby Jeff Turner on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:44 am

If I had the money I go for chip and upgrade exhaust system. With the chip it cannot be erased .
If there was a recall and you had to go back to dealer then they could will erase your hard Earnt cash.
So for the exrta few hundred or so for me is better result chip plus exhaust
Jeff Turner

Postby Jeff Turner on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:47 am

If I had the money I go for chip and upgrade exhaust system. With the chip it cannot be erased .
If there was a recall and you had to go back to dealer then they could will erase your hard Earnt cash.
So for the exrta few hundred or so for me is better result chip plus exhaust
Jeff Turner

Postby shortSteve on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:22 pm

L200Shogun wrote:Another WA member posted that he had a Tune done by United Fuel Injection in Redcliffe. $1500?
They would be on my short list.
I have seen United recommended before for other diesel work.

My first and only visit to a speed shop. I asked about better fuel economy. I remember getting looked at if I was special. :shock: Maybe diesels are different. YMMV

Yep, they did my MN Triton last month, very happy with the results, including dyno run. getting low 10'sL/100km, last tank (half tank) was 10.6 with 340ish km of towing. Very impressed and great service. Would recommend.

sS
shortSteve

Postby sammy1 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:35 pm

I contacted United via email at the same time as well but have still not had a response. $1500 was with the dyno, which would be around the same if I had to pay for the dyno from http://www.infinitechtuning.com/ but as I said he is happy to throw it for the $995. Also with the remap getting wiped they reload it free of charge as they will have your tune stored. Roger recommended the ECU remap over a chip even though they do sell plug and play type chips. I am keen on the fact they can wipe EGR program so cleaning out the manifold would hopefully not have to be done as often or at all.
sammy1

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:57 pm

If cheap is your goal someone has to be the first. Only second time I have heard of sub $1000 ECU flashes.

90 000km Injectors still have good spray pattern? , manifold clean?

Probably fine just not for me.
L200Shogun

Postby sammy1 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:21 pm

L200Shogun wrote:If cheap is your goal someone has to be the first. Only second time I have heard of sub $1000 ECU flashes.

90 000km Injectors still have good spray pattern? , manifold clean?

Probably fine just not for me.

I think cheapest would be everyone's goal but not with a compromise on quality. I probably would have gone with united but Roger got back to me first. I don't know what a dyno is worth on its own for our cars but for my Harley it was $550 so I am guessing around the same if not a bit less. That would make the normal cost of there's $1500 give or take. I had a look at there site again and they do a redback exhaust and performance remap package for $2495, so doesn't seem to be a cheap outlet. Like you said someone has to be first so I am looking forward to seeing how it goes. The manifold clean I am doing when I get home as well as 90,000km service, then the next break I plan to have the remap done. I want to make sure that everything else is covered before to get a real idea of gains.
sammy1

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:26 pm

don't forget there is a one off licence fee to ECUtek.

i have no idea on current costs but way back when they first hit the streets it was supposedly almost a grand. :? :? which seemed a lot!

I can't see it being that much now but only the tuners would know how much.

one off cost per ECU though, so if you go back for more tuning you dont have to pay that again.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jt1986 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 pm

any progress reports on any tunes??
jt1986

Return to Fuel Systems