Donaldson Secondary Fuel Filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Postby jayjayselmes on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi Folks,

New to the forum. Thanks for having me. Picked up a 2015 MN 4 weeks ago in dualcab. So far loaded it up with:

ARB Deluxe Bar
BFG KO2 in 265/75/16
Icom + RFI uhf Radio
Light Bar 240 watt
EGR plug and play module controller
Provent Catch Can
1.8 metre tray
Tints.

I am wondering if my install looks ok for my donaldson kit? Its the 3 micron 114 LPH filter kit. I just routed it off the OEM filter to the Donaldson and then back over to the inlet pipe to engine. I did it this way so If I ever need to take it off I can unscrew it and take it off in 30 seconds and reconnect the pipe straight back onto the EOM filter.

Any critique welcome.

thanks, the forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Click to view larger picture
jayjayselmes

Re: Donaldson Secondary Fuel Filter

Postby triton_guru on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:07 am

I ran mine before the factory filter as the secondary one ive got is a finer micron than factory, because of this i change the secondary filter every 10,000kms and both the factory and secondary every 30,000kms aswell as draining the fuel tank. Great filter choice though mate, welcome to the forum
triton_guru

Postby al coholic on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:23 am

I can't see the point of that Guru? Now your factory filter is doing absolutely nothing as anything that would of been picked up by the factory filter is now clogging up your secondary finer filter??

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the factory filter (what are they... About 7 micron??) then have your secondary filter at 2-3 micron catching anything the factory filter missed
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby jayjayselmes on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:54 am

al coholic wrote:I can't see the point of that Guru? Now your factory filter is doing absolutely nothing as anything that would of been picked up by the factory filter is now clogging up your secondary finer filter??

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the factory filter (what are they... About 7 micron??) then have your secondary filter at 2-3 micron catching anything the factory filter missed

Hi mate, I think you are missing how its running. Look at the fuel hoses.

fuel is coming into the OEM filter then out the OEM filter to the Donaldson, then back over to the inlet into the engine. The filter is AFTER the OEM filter as a secondary filter.

I have it as exactly as you describe it. but the Donaldson is AFTER the OEM,

Cheers
jayjayselmes

Postby sydneymark on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:00 am

I have mine set up in the same way, before the factory filter.

i think the reasoning was a combination of the following

warranty issues, if the filter is before the factory one then your warranty should still be ok, in fact I have been getting the local dealer to replace my donaldson filter when the 15k service gets done, no questions asked.

yes, it makes the factory filter redundant, however that also has a water sensor there, so if there was a lot of water in the fuel and some of it got through to the sensor you might have a better chance of fixing it before damage happens

there is a shedload of posts about this somewhere here, am sure a mod can point you in the right direction
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jayjayselmes on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:53 am

sydneymark wrote:I have mine set up in the same way, before the factory filter.

warranty issues, if the filter is before the factory one then your warranty should still be ok, in fact I have been getting the local dealer to replace my donaldson filter when the 15k service gets done, no questions asked.

yes, it makes the factory filter redundant, however that also has a water sensor there, so if there was a lot of water in the fuel and some of it got through to the sensor you might have a better chance of fixing it before damage happens

there is a shedload of posts about this somewhere here, am sure a mod can point you in the right direction

From how I installed mine is after the factory filter? Thats how I am seeing it?
jayjayselmes

Postby sydneymark on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:03 am

yup, as opposed to my setup

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14780

jayjayselmes wrote:
sydneymark wrote:I have mine set up in the same way, before the factory filter.

From how I installed mine is after the factory filter? Thats how I am seeing it?
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:07 am

sydneymark wrote:

Everyone has their opinion and a right to it. So i am not trying to start an argument. :|

I just query the above logic. The reason is because if the water sensor is the last defense it is already in there BEFORE you get to hear about it, so if you are slow to react it may already be a problem.

If you have some water separation capacity in a secondary filter then after the alarm goes off you have that capacity to fill before it gets into your engine.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML2008 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:19 am

The purpose of the OEM filter is to take out anything greater than 7um and it has an electronic warning device attached to the base to advise water in the system from bad fuel.

The purpose of the secondary filter is what? to take out any finer particles than 7um down to 2um and to trap any more water to prevent any possible damage to the engine giving you time and mobility to correct the situation before potentially limp mode or worse total engine shutdown.

I am assuming that the Mitsi Triton OEM filter system will give warning light on the dash, I fail to see how putting a secondary system to prevent further damage conflicts with warranty :shock:

So given that I think the lad has it perfectly situated after the OEM filter.

Cheers
ML2008
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gspy4u on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:49 am

Just have to make sure the flow rate is the same as OEM other wise they can always say your pump, etc was damaged because the flow rate was too low and put more pressure on the fuel pump or whatever they want.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:37 pm

ML2008 has it nailed. To the OP I think you'll find Alco was disagreeing with Tritonguru and agreeing with you. But you've read it as him disagreeing with you.

Anyway the way you have it (ie after the OEM filter) is the way I run mine. Mine is 2 micron though.

The only comment I'd make on your setup is that if it was me I wouldn't want those hose joins but as long as you're confident they'll hold and not leak I wouldn't get too worried about that.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby jayjayselmes on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:ML2008 has it nailed. To the OP I think you'll find Alco was disagreeing with Tritonguru and agreeing with you. But you've read it as him disagreeing with you.

Anyway the way you have it (ie after the OEM filter) is the way I run mine. Mine is 2 micron though.

The only comment I'd make on your setup is that if it was me I wouldn't want those hose joins but as long as you're confident they'll hold and not leak I wouldn't get too worried about that.

You are right mate. Just ran out of hose clamps. Just bought 2 more this arvo. Will put them on tonight. :)

The joins are from the 10mm hose down to 8mm and vice versa. I have seen people run straight 10mm on the 8mm OEM outlet hose clamped but I dont like that in case there is an air leak or fuel leak. It probably wont happen but better safe than sorry I guess. I will just throw on 2 more clamps tonight and call her a day I think.
jayjayselmes

Postby snakesoup on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:04 pm

why not just use 8mm hose and no joins?? should be able to slip on to ur 10 mm barbs on the secondary, or even get 8mm barbs ;-)
snakesoup

Postby srb on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:25 pm

Welcome jayjay.

With regards to the location of the secondary filtration, all I can say is, you've brought up a fairly 'hot topic' here on NTN. Last discussion on the subject had people sooking all over the place.

Now... There is a right way and wrong way.. Don't worry about the sooks... You've done it the right way! Congrats, and well done.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:57 pm

jayjayselmes wrote:Hi mate, I think you are missing how its running. Look at the fuel hoses.

fuel is coming into the OEM filter then out the OEM filter to the Donaldson, then back over to the inlet into the engine. The filter is AFTER the OEM filter as a secondary filter.

I have it as exactly as you describe it. but the Donaldson is AFTER the OEM,

Cheers

Jayjay, as Cowboy Dave pointed out I wasn't referring to your post, but the one under yours by Triton Guru that has it set up the opposite to you
Personally, I can't understand the reasoning to have a 2um filter which will clog up easier then the factory 7um filter doing virtually nothing.

I should have quoted the comment I was referring to but I was rushing
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby sydneymark on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:51 pm

mmm, i smell popcorn :)
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jayjayselmes on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:34 pm

sydneymark wrote:mmm, i smell popcorn :)

No harm no foul guys. I am here to learn and read up :twisted: . Good forum. Cheers :lol:
jayjayselmes

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Just to throw a little spanner in the works, I was researching filters for the Pajero. Like the Triton the OEM filter is about 7µm, so ideally needs a secondary filter. However, Mtsubishi have reduced the size now and, even better, Ryco make a 3µm replacement (Z699). That pretty much obviates the need for a secondary filter.

I don't know the Ryco specs for their Z679 for the Triton, but, if it is also 3µm then it could be a very good alternative to a secondary filter.

The Ryco filters for the Paj are also about 2/3 the price of the OEM ones and guaranteed to meet or exceed OEM specs.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Chris, that's probably a fair option for city vehicles where the fuel is cleaner. But take it outback and see how quickly you block it up.

Course filter to catch the bones and then the finner filter to catch the rest. Still the best way.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Yep, agree for questionable fuel supplies, Steve. For most, though, I think it's a reasonable alternative and it's easy to pack a couple of spare filters.

Just re-checked and the factory for the Paj is 10µm while the Ryco is 4µm at 94% efficiency. Like most filters, as they fill they actually work better, trapping even smaller particles.

Would only take a phone call or email to Ryco to get their specs on the Triton Z679.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Snooozy on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:23 pm

mmmm, a finer filter in place of the OEM & a pre filter/water watch. might be an option :idea:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML2008 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Snoozy, you were thinking exactly what I was, see I learnt something new tonight, thanks NFT5, I use Ryco filters on everything but when I go on long distance will use Unifilter for air and fit the water trap on the fuel line somewhere near the fuel tank up and away from getting damaged underneath, somewhere easy to drain every couple of days on the trail.
ML2008
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML2008 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:39 pm

NFT5, I just did a physical check on the the Z679 against the new Paj Z699 filters, totally different dimensions, even the fitment of the Electronic water alarm thread is completely different, so will have to wait till Ryco update the smaller Triton Filter itself down to 3um before going down that track.
ML2008
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:26 pm

How difficult would it be to simply replace the complete Triton assembly with a Pajero one? Same 4M41 motor as the ML so flow rates should be the same or better. MN uses the Z679 same as ML.

I don't have one to compare directly with but this pic might be a start.

Click to view larger picture
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby biggibbo on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:08 am

Just depends on whether the mounting holes would line up and then if there is enough depth/width in the mount for the triton.

Can you measure the mounting bolt holes centre to centre and the depth/width of the filter and I compare to the MN
biggibbo

Return to Fuel Systems